• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite (PC/PS4/XB1/Mac, Epic Games) enters early access on July 25

BADMAN

the worst thing happened to the gaming industry is not Microtransactions, it's Early access, Thanks STEAM

Early access can be used properly a la Dead Cells. Microtransactions in $60 video games are inherently evil and easily the worst thing the AAA industry has implemented into their games.

Compsiox

Banned
If a game isn't in Early Access, it sounds like it will never receive a major update since it would be considered finished.

Akronis

If a game isn't in Early Access, it sounds like it will never receive a major update since it would be considered finished.

Define major update. Plenty of released games get what I would consider major updates with new content. It's pretty much the norm for online games now.

EDIT: maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

FiraB

Banned
As someone thats been in alpha, EA isnt really a good descriptor of what ur about to play because the game is super polished already.

This is more like platnium having a beta of Nier Automata to check the difficulty and see how people play it.

Higher levels are a real treat if you think low level looks like a cakewalk.

As someone thats been in alpha, EA isnt really a good descriptor of what ur about to play because the game is super polished already.

This is more like platnium having a beta of Nier Automata to check the difficulty and see how people play it.

Higher levels are a real treat if you think low level looks like a cakewalk.

I second this. Especially the part about higher levels being great and challenging.

I actually thought they were going straight to release from alpha tbh, based on how polished the game is lol... and I haven't even played it in a few months because I want more ppl to play with. I logged in for the stress test, even though I missed it by about an hour though. Still looks solid.

Been looking forward to this since E3, but I have reservations. I want to wait for impressions and streams on Tuesday. If it comes out solid, can I buy a founders pack on Tuesday and still get early access?

hollomat

Banned
An early access $60 game with micro transactions that's also releasing physical copies on console in stores with no hype.

I'm expecting a huge backlash when this comes out.

An early access $60 game with micro transactions that's also releasing physical copies on console in stores with no hype.

I'm expecting a huge backlash when this comes out.

It's actually 40 dollars for the standard edition. It's also going to be f2p early 2018, so yes of course it has transactions in game.

What you're paying for now is early access along with whatever edition you buy gets you which is pretty much industry standard for f2ps to have.

Kin5290

All of these special editions, microtransactions, and loot boxes (ahem, pinatas) are giving me a headache. It's a damn shame because the core gameplay looks genuinely pretty interesting and the art direction is good.

DarkKyo

I'm really interested in this but I got burned badly when I went in on the big deluxe version of Evolve when that came out, so regardless of the edition I end up getting I think I'll wait and see what the reception is a couple weeks into it.

Orca

All of these special editions, microtransactions, and loot boxes (ahem, pinatas) are giving me a headache. It's a damn shame because the core gameplay looks genuinely pretty interesting and the art direction is good.

So just play the game and ignore all that? I mean you don't HAVE to get the special editions...it's a game with a focus on loot, so why would you want pre-order weapons anyway? Play the game and you'll get loot boxes every so often as a nice bonus to a game you're enjoying, not as the reason to play...

Jira

I've been in the Alpha since 4? I think? and what baffles me is this game has had 6? years of development, a fairly public alpha and it's now also going into Early Access? How much time do these guys need to make a single game that's not even an MMO? I'm not putting it down, I enjoyed the game when I played it, but after a certain amount of time you have to ask yourself what's going on over there development wise?

bounchfx

I've been in the Alpha since 4? I think? and what baffles me is this game has had 6? years of development, a fairly public alpha and it's now also going into Early Access? How much time do these guys need to make a single game that's not even an MMO? I'm not putting it down, I enjoyed the game when I played it, but after a certain amount of time you have to ask yourself what's going on over there development wise?

one immediate question would be: how big is the dev team? what's their burn rate? just thinking '6 years' doesnt really mean much without more information unfortunately

hope it's good though, I enjoyed the alpha I played, and its been a long ass time coming hah

Hubble

Agree. All of these editions and microtransactions are a huge turnoff. I was interested in the game but just looks way too overkill on the site. Many editions, pinata packs, daily packs, space inventory slots, skins, and what else. I'm on mobile and can't check. It just seems like everything is up to buy. Sickened me.

Agree. All of these editions and microtransactions are a huge turnoff. I was interested in the game but just looks way too overkill on the site. Many editions, pinata packs, daily packs, space inventory slots, skins, and what else. I'm on mobile and can't check. It just seems like everything is up to buy. Sickened me.

I suggest playing the game before judging. It'll be f2p in 2018, I am told early 2018. Having played in the alpha and never having spent money on it, getting a small head start on a collection of schematics is not a big deal as you get plenty of opportunities to get schematics in game anyway I'll probably buy in because I want access to the game.

It's weird people have such overreactions to microtransactions and bundles in a F2P game. Wow.

It's not really that public. They still require people under NDA til the early access begins.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I suggest playing the game before judging. It'll be f2p in 2018, I am told early 2018. Having played in the alpha and never having spent money on it, getting a small head start on a collection of schematics is not a big deal as you get plenty of opportunities to get schematics in game anyway I'll probably buy in because I want access to the game.

It's weird people have such overreactions to microtransactions and bundles in a F2P game. Wow.

It's not really that public. They still require people under NDA til the early access begins.

It isnt F2P right now though.

Vic_Viper

If I ordered the $40 PC version when do I get my key? Did they email them out already?

Someone ordered the game for me for my birthday on the 22nd but didnt recieve an email yet. Wondering how others got their codes if at all yet,

Bahlor

Is it crossbuy? Can I play on my pc / mac and on my ps4 or do I have to buy it 2 times? Still unsure between version for 39 / 59 EUR. How important are all those additional things that exist in the deluxe edition and can you get everything in game without spending additional money etc etc? Game looks fun but I'm still a bit confused about all the mechanics that exist in game.

Played this for about 2 hours when they had the "play for an hour and get into a giveaway" thing.

Really psyched for it now. Something about the gameplay reminds me of Plants v. Zombies regarding the combat which I love, plus the building mechanic is really robust and reminds me of Orcs Must Die!

J3ffro

Is someone working on an OT? I looked at the thread about signing up for them, and debated doing it myself, but there's so much information still locked down behind the NDA (and I've never made an OT) my efforts would be underwhelming. If someone is, however, and needs assistance in some way (even just copy editing), I'd be happy to help.

Damn, I've put like 50+ hours into this game during alpha and I am still hyped to get back in. I haven't played for 2-3 months. Fortnite has shown me I am a big fan of collecting things over time (I'm talking about collecting schematics, survivors, heroes etc.).

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is there a plan for a OT at the 21st?

Edit: Guess me and Deo will start some work on one for the Pre-Access period that will go into its launch

killroy87

I've been really curious about this, it seems like it has a lot of potential. My main worries are that it seems a bit needlessly complicated, especially in regards to progression, and I feel like it's a bit of a steep buy-in price for early access. I'll keep an eye on it and decide once I see more videos and impressions.

J3ffro

How large is that discount and does someone want to help a gaffer out?

I believe the discount is $20, or if you spent money in the alpha it is equal to what you spent. I do not believe that discount is transferable, but not sure on that.

deoee

Is there a plan for a OT at the 21st?

Edit: Guess me and Deo will start some work on one for the Pre-Access period that will go into its launch

Yip yip.

I hope I'll have enough stuff to work with.
I'm also looking for a discount code is a spare key.
So if anyone can and wants to help out a fellow GAFer •~•

Top Bottom