• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

Harlequin

Lara didn't deviate much from her early designs, but her features were a lot harsher in the early days.
D6FBefk.jpg

Those aren't the earliest concepts, though. The black-and-white ones in this post are older and they're quite a bit different. And, of course, before that Tomb Raider's protagonist was supposed to be male.

Back when Lara Croft was still Laura Cruz (not sure if the art with the teal top is from before or after the name change but the other two pics are from before AFAIK):
Code:
 [img]http://i.imgur.com/YKqN1cc.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Vd0KxIB.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MAjFV5w.jpg[/img]

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Who cares? They still made her look blander than her real counterpart.
Well first of all that's an older picture. They made changes since that reveal where she's wearing no eyeliner, has shorter eyelashes and less pronounced freckles.
Horizon-Zero-Dawn%E2%84%A2_20170209234159.jpg

Second, a design is more than just a face. Everything about Aloy's design tells the viewer everything they need to know about how she fits the context of her environment while also being great in the sense that the devs weren't thinking of how best to titillate dudes.

Ahasverus

Well first of all that's an older picture. They made changes since that reveal where she's wearing no eyeliner and has shorter eyelashes. Second, a design is more than just a face. Everything about Aloy's design tells the viewer everything they need to know about how she fits the context of her environment.
No doubt about it. Nobody is here saying Aloy has a bad design. It's... fine, not overly memorable or eye catching, and not in a sexual way. it's just... there.

I'd dare to say there are NPCs better designed than her in her own game.
Knees too sharp for you?
It's not a fuckability contest you know.

Navid

Surprised at how many people like the early concept for Aloy over her final design... think she looks far more mature, confident and aggressive in her final design and it fits perfectly with her story/upbringing in the game ...

Crossing Eden

No doubt about it. Nobody is here saying Aloy has a bad design. It's... fine, not overly memorable or eye catching, and not in a sexual way. it's just... there.

I'd dare to say there are NPCs better designed than her in her own game.
She's literally the face of a new IP that has so far had quite the success and is one of the few characters in the entire medium that has long unkempt hair that actually works. I imagine she'll get a similar crowd reaction to Kratos when they reveal the sequel in a few years.

Ahasverus

She's literally the face of a new IP that has so far had quite the success and is one of the few characters in the entire medium that has long unkempt hair that actually works. I imagine she'll get a similar crowd reaction to Kratos when they reveal the sequel in a few years.
I'd bet $200 that she'll be radically redesigned for the sequel. You don't radically redesign an iconic protagonist. we'll see.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Early Aloy is awful looking, I'm so happy we got what we have now with her.

Then they fucked up.

ejW8NaH.jpg

it's not that Aloy is ugly, it that she looks blaaaand.
First of all...this is wrong, second of all...women can be bland. There are so many games with bland male characters.

I don't see too many women that look like her where I'm from. She'd turn more than a few heads.

Back on track... Link on N64.
OcarinaBeta.gif

Omg Link. You were almost a Final Fantasy 7 overworld character. In Big Head Mode. With weapons made from Metal Mario.

Oh, the humanity.

Crossing Eden

I'd bet $200 that she'll be radically redesigned for the sequel. You don't radically redesign an iconic protagonist. we'll see.
Again she's instantly recognizable as the protagonist of HZD and her design has been pretty much unanimously praised.

Gin-Shiio

"I have been jaded by years of female protagonists designed solely to get my cock going and can't fap to Aloy's merely averagely gorgeous face. They fucked up big time."

I cannot for the life of me comprehend the audacity of some people.

Not

Banned
I will never forget the utterly ceaseless bitching and whining GAF did over this (imo far superior) redesign of Cole. Pages and pages of moaning over it, crazy.

It's because GAF empathized with the unstable bald nerd and thought making him into a cool guy was over the line

balohna

Saw a bunch of FFIX stuff earlier in this thread, which reminds me...

I remember in the late 90s seeing some concept art on either a video game website or magazine that was labeled as something that leaked from Square and could be Final Fantasy IX. I don't know if it was legit or not, but if it was legit it seems clear it wasn't FF9.

The concept was something about people living underground and I remember the art style being not tooo far off what we eventually got. Similarly exaggerated, but I'm pretty sure there were mole people involved. Anyone remember this? I also could be misremembering because it was like 18-19 years ago and I was like 10 years old.

Tonton

Anyway....I find the concepts of Connor from AC to be interesting because they were constantly trying to find a balance between the influence of the colonialism of the era and his native American culture.
Would have preferred some of those instead of the iconic white hood, although at least the final version is not exactly bad, it just feels very out of place

At least they gave some outfits like his captain one that work better

I have never been annoyed by tons of people quoting the same image. Jesus fucking Christ, lol.

Someone already posted the Ratchet & Clank images so I'm out.

Edit: Also I like final Aloy better than most of those early concept images.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Final Aloy is much better. The concept art looks fine by itself, but it's too perfectly-idealized-Disney-princess for that kind of character. The final result is much, much more compelling.

This is way better. But i guess we have to aplaud them for making her "chubbier" and less good looking. She looks like a real person now.
Chubbier??? WTF?

For all the discussion on how the final design resembled the actress who played Yigritte in Game of a Thrones, it's somewhat amusing that these early designs have a lot in common with the book description of Yigritte in ASOFAI.
Not really? No pug nose, no crooked teeth (well we don't see her teeth at all but we can assume they'd be perfectly straight), and Aloy's final hair probably fits Ygritte's hairstyle more than the early princess-hair designs really.

It's really depressing seeing all the posts which prefer the original design of Ally.

We get an incredibly well designed, realistic, female main character whose a joy to play - and people prefer the anorexic, slightly sexualized, oh so blandly typical Disney Princess pictures here?
I don't see any sexualization to be honest, but I otherwise agree.

It's not remotely surprising though. A lot of people would rather have a waifu over a realistic woman. :\

People don't like ugly designs, what a surprise.
In this one. Removing that rat's nest of a mullet would go a long way in fixing it.
Ugly? Mullet?

Do you even know what words mean

Also it's kinda uncomfortable to be shaming skinny people :/ Just because someone is fit doesn't mean they have a disorder.
That's... not what's happening. Nobody is shaming skinny people, FFS. Just commenting than a hardened huntress/adventurer shouldn't have waif-like sticks for arms.

What a preposterous statement. Aloy's design is loved by many, instantly recognizable, and already iconic in the industry. Not eye-catching? I mean... what the fuck do you even consider eye catching at this point?

"I have been jaded by years of female protagonists designed solely to get my cock going and can't fap to Aloy's merely averagely gorgeous face. They fucked up big time."

Hahah, for real

Thought she was chubbier too than most of those concept images, but I'm just looking at the face. I haven't played the game though.

Kinyou

It's because GAF empathized with the unstable bald nerd and thought making him into a cool guy was over the line
Cole was never a nerd. People were just bothered because it was a big shift from the original design.
Firing the old voice actor didn't help either

The cast of Chrono Trigger:
QXY2FRhh.jpg

Serge and Kid from Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross:
jZhJZNSh.jpg

Keldric from Dawn of Mana:
jLeDPEfh.jpg

The races of Final Fantasy XI:
c72RBdNh.jpg

eso76

Surprised at how many people like the early concept for Aloy over her final design... think she looks far more mature, confident and aggressive in her final design and it fits perfectly with her story/upbringing in the game ...

This.
I'm not even a huge HZD fan, but Aloy is a great design and she's beautiful in a diff. way
Early designs were interesting too though

Crossing Eden

Would have preferred some of those instead of the iconic white hood, although at least the final version is not exactly bad, it just feels very out of place

At least they gave some outfits like his captain one that work better
You never realize how crucial the hood is to the character design of this series until they take away the option to have it up by default.

Lusankya

TIL Apparently Aloy is a chubby, ugly duck who all these awesome superheroes from NeoGAF wouldn't even touch with pincers.

You're one to talk. Some of you are massively projecting insecurities just because some people dared to disagree about a design. It's embarrassing

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand preferring a more cartoony art-style over a realistic art-style, but shitting on Aloy's design because you think she doesn't look enough like the supermodel you want her to be is saddening and also pretty disgusting. Same goes for the people that keep popping up in other threads saying that Guerrilla should have added romantic / sexual relationship paths into the game.

If you're just here to impose your fantasies onto her and don't have anything to say about the actual character, maybe reconsider and just don't.

Toxi

Banned
The early Aloy art doesn't really fit the style of the game.

Which is common in concept art, since you gotta unify all the different ideas into a single cohesive style. It often leads to people finding isolated concept art more interesting than the final product while forgetting that the final product isn't viewed in isolation.

Kinyou

I can understand preferring a more cartoony art-style over a realistic art-style, but shitting on Aloy's design because you think she doesn't look enough like the supermodel you want her to be is saddening and also pretty disgusting. Same goes for the people that keep popping up in other threads saying that Guerrilla should have added romantic / sexual relationship paths into the game.

If you're just here to impose your fantasies onto her and don't have anything to say about the actual character, maybe reconsider and just don't.
Uh what? There's nothing wrong with someone who was hoping for that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're one to talk. Some of you are massively projecting insecurities just because some people dared to disagree about a design. It's embarrassing

What's embarrassing are people calling Aloy chubby, ugly, manly, bland, having a mullet, or the best one, thinking that athletes have a specific type of "face" (that one was a riot, holy shit).

I'd say that's more embarrassing than making a zinger/quip about all of the above, really. But you do you.

Gin-Shiio

I'm a gorgeous ginger myself, but still a man, I'm afraid. Besides, our disdain isn't over people's opinion, but their shallow, chauvinistic justifications for it.

I think both the concept art and what we got are fine, but the end result is more befitting of the game, so I prefer that one. Also, it's refreshing to see a leading woman without totally neonate features.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm super skinny but Aloy isn't chubby or even super muscular. I prefer most of the stylized designs too but she's still skinny in the real game. You can be fit and skinny.

Harlequin

You never realize how crucial the hood is to the character design of this series until they take away the option to have it up by default.

It's also been seriously immersion-breaking in some of the settings they've been in. I like the hood and I get that, from a marketing perspective, it's a powerful image with a lot of recognition value but there are some settings/periods where it really doesn't work and I wish they wouldn't force it into them. Maybe the Assassin order of that period could still use it for ritualistic purposes (like when they're meeting up in secret) but in a game that's supposed to be about blending in and being an assassin I expect the protagonist's character design to not stick out like a sore thumb whenever you're in a crowd. Some (but only some) of the outfits in Syndicate were a good step in the right direction regarding this issue IMO.

Wozman23

[We interrupt this Aloy bickering to bring you more early character designs.]

Rayman:

Kratos:

More Sackboy (post-YellowHead):
More insight:
https://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/from_yellowhead_to_sackboy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mediamolecule/sets/72157625338372788/

Big Daddy (in a wheelchair):

Little Sisters (as chipmunks):

Cuphead (and a ton of other crazy designs):
More insight: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/02/03/cuphead-39-s-creators-open-up-their-sketchbook.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Top Bottom