• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I'll just go ahead and say to temper your expectations. It'll be ready when they say it's ready.
Well yeah but they haven't said anything. why not come out and say hey we will have halo 6 news next year and don't expect the game to come out in 2018? instead of keeping everyone in the dark when we are coming up on what will be year three since halo 5's release. Most fans casual and competitive alike know that halo has traditionally been released in three year cycles. I just wanna know the plans so that if halo 6 is not coming next year, at least I can stop thinking about it. If 343 waits until next year to say that 6 is not coming out in 2018 that would be pretty low in my opinion. Or they could say that they are aiming for 2018 but there is a good chance it won't happen. Problem solved.

Cranster

Banned
Please bring back MLG and never talk about ESL again - they were literally the WORST.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443434

esports_nielsenrlpuq.png

The big thing people need to realize is that MLG is owned by Activision Blizzard which is basically Halo's competition. That is a huge conflict of interest!

Well yeah but they haven't said anything. why not come out and say hey we will have halo 6 news next year and don't expect the game to come out in 2018? instead of keeping everyone in the dark when we are coming up on what will be year three since halo 5's release. Most fans casual and competitive alike know that halo has traditionally been released in three year cycles. I just wanna know the plans so that if halo 6 is not coming next year, at least I can stop thinking about it. If 343 waits until next year to say that 6 is not coming out in 2018 that would be pretty low in my opinion. Or they could say that they are aiming for 2018 but there is a good chance it won't happen. Problem solved.

I feel you man. It's nice to at least have the comfort of knowing what Halo (if any) we'll get next year. We know how MS operates though - and if you don't just check 343i GlassDoor reviews. They're constantly being manhandled by corporate with meetings and deadlines. There's little chance they'd be allowed 4 years to develop, especially given that'd mean missing Year 1 of One X.

They're probably just looking to concentrate marketing. Prompt turnarounds from reveal to release are becoming increasingly in vogue atm, and have proven their merit. I doubt it'll be to the degree of Fallout 4/Wolfenstein 2/Nintendo Switch (revealing 5-6 months before release), but I do expect the window to be significantly more compact than in the past.

Ideally I'd like to seem them take notes from Disney and their handling of The Last Jedi: title, date (likely just year and quarter given gaming industry), [and platforms] in Q1 (or at Game Awards). First footage [and multiplayer beta] early Q2. E3 Campaign Reveal + more goodies, late Q2 via E3. Constant drip-feed through to release.

Trup1aya

The big thing people need to realize is that MLG is owned by Activision Blizzard which is basically Halo's competition. That is a huge conflict of interest!

Meanwhile MLG runs tournaments for publishers Activision competes with all the time AND they are the primary TO for MS owned Gears of War.

There is no conflict of interest. If there was mlg wouldn't have hosted two of the most successful halo 5 productions in 2016.

In this industry, companies are both partners and competitors ALL THE TIME. They intentionally compartmentalize their branches for the purpose of maximizing their businesses while eliminating conflicts of interest.

343s "interest" is in making halo esports has large as possible. Mlgs "interest" is in being a catalyst for the growth of all esports. Its a match made in heaven. Their interests align perfectly.

The irony of your graphic is that the gap between halo and COD esport viewership and participation would be much smaller with mlgs involvement in halo...

IHaveIce

Banned

I love it but I will copy my post from Beyond on here, because I think 343 is playing with fire if not everything works perfectly:

Bold move having a Worlds 2018, and I mean that in a very respectful way towards 343.

IMO They have created a big challenge for themselves, after Worlds 2017 a lot of press that normaly wouldn't care about Halo Worlds will now suddenly keep their eyes open, just to find out if 343 will do better than last year.

But is it feasible? Is it even in the cards to hold a Halo Worlds for Halo 5 that seems big? If they don't combine it with a big event like PAX or another Dreamhack I doubt it.

Viewer participation on event or online declined heavily, it seems like very few halo fans just come around to view the tournaments nowadays.

Teams are another big factor, last dreamhack was a success, maybe having Worlds over a longer span of days is opening up the possibility to have an Open format. Because having 12 teams and only 4 of them are from NA will deflate the hype quickly. EU and other Regions are just trash compared to NA, they should get invited, but not at the cost of the real best teams in the world in the late tournament phase.

Announcing a whole 2018 season of Halo 5 is a whole different caliber.

I just hope for great gameplay and clear messages for the future.

Thank you Tashi for coming by, love ya

That logic is stupid, by that logic Activision wouldn'T want to have other online shooters in their resume because it would compete with CoD, though we have Overwatch and Destiny directly coming from this publisher.

It is business, nobody cares about some rivalry fans made up.

belushy

Banned
They had to announce something or there won't be any pros around for halo 6... If 2018 was empty these guys would have to move on.

Right?

Yup. I remember Snakebite said something in a tweet that he wanted to see whats after Denver before making a decision, when asked if he was switching to COD.

BizzyBum

They had to announce something or there won't be any pros around for halo 6... If 2018 was empty these guys would have to move on.

Right?

Yeah, of course they were always going to announce something. There was no way Denver was the end of Halo esports until Halo 6. lol

I feel you man. It's nice to at least have the comfort of knowing what Halo (if any) we'll get next year. We know how MS operates though - and if you don't just check 343i GlassDoor reviews. They're constantly being manhandled by corporate with meetings and deadlines. There's little chance they'd be allowed 4 years to develop, especially given that'd mean missing Year 1 of One X.

They're probably just looking to concentrate marketing. Prompt turnarounds from reveal to release are becoming increasingly in vogue atm, and have proven their merit. I doubt it'll be to the degree of Fallout 4/Wolfenstein 2/Nintendo Switch (revealing 5-6 months before release), but I do expect the window to be significantly more compact than in the past.

Ideally I'd like to seem them take notes from Disney and their handling of The Last Jedi: title, date (likely just year and quarter given gaming industry), [and platforms] in Q1 (or at Game Awards). First footage [and multiplayer beta] early Q2. E3 Campaign Reveal + more goodies, late Q2 via E3. Constant drip-feed through to release.
I think you're right. Assuming the game does come out next year, the strategy of laying low for now is brilliant. But that's contingent upon Halo 6 releasing next year.

Trup1aya

I love it but I will copy my post from Beyond on here, because I think 343 is playing with fire if not everything works perfectly:

Bold move having a Worlds 2018, and I mean that in a very respectful way towards 343.

IMO They have created a big challenge for themselves.

snip

IMO, they have a grand opportunity to turn the ship around.

Participation at LAN events is up, and would actually be even higher of 343 would stop arbitrarily favoring pros and deincentivizing AMs and orgs- issues they appear to be working to correct.

They also have been leveraging MS Stores to help grow local communities. If they follow MLGs lead and award "pro points" to those who show up, community members will become more personally invested in the esport. Same with online tournaments and ladders.

Regarding international play, hopefully they've learned from gears and CWL that it's much more fair, conducive to growth, and entertaining to seed international teams based on group play rather than arbitrarily awarding seeds based on location- cutting teams out who are more deserving. If international teams are ever to catch up, 343 has to stop hamstringing them. And if they want to present the best product, they have to stop screwing over top AMs

Regarding negative press from 2017- there will be people lining up to see another disaster.The negativity is going to be free publicity- there is no better time to knock it out of the park.

The last issue is socialmedia presence and communication. I'm actually really surprised ( and thrilled) to see that they are having an AMA and that Tashi made a post on TB. Is a new era upon us?

I think you're right. Assuming the game does come out next year, the strategy of laying low for now is brilliant. But that's contingent upon Halo 6 releasing next year.

I would be shocked if it didn't. As much as I'd love to see them take an extra 6-12 months, I just can't see MS letting 343i get away with that. Effectively:

- It would mean missing out on a huge boost to X1 and 1X sales + adoption of their PC storefront and Windows 10.

- They would have to reshift a lot of their lineup and marketing (would Crackdown 3 be their 2018 headliner? Gears and Halo can't release in the same season, so would Gears be delayed too?).

- Extending development would mean paying 350+ employees for another 6-12 months without remuneration.

- And it would also mean leaving Halo out of the spotlight, when its brand recognition and influence is already waning.

For Bonnie I think that's just too hard a sell. Unless they're transforming it into a Destiny-style game (which I feel is unlikely), or moving over to UE4 (which is a minute possibility) I just don't think 343i have a proposition that can convince corporate that the above costs are a worthwhile investment. A potential 5-10 point boost on Metacritic, and the sales an elevated score brings with it, frankly won't be valid justification for extension.

Karl2177

I mean this seems like a Deputy Moonman problem, rather than a 343 problem.

wwm0nkey

MCC and Halo 5 are getting an Xbox bundle

Four-New-Bundles-Hero-hero.jpg

343, I know we wont get that big grand patch for MCC, but if I can get a HDR patch at least, I will buy a Xbox One S (need a 4k Bluray player)

m23

Yeah I really don't see the need for them to say anything in regards to Halo 6 yet. They've already said no news this year as far as I'm aware.

They'll announce news when it's time.

Um okay. It's not like I'm really upset or anything. I'd just like to know what is going on and am speculating as such. I guess I'll stop talking because reasons lol.
Yeah I really don't see the need for them to say anything in regards to Halo 6 yet. They've already said no news this year as far as I'm aware.

They'll announce news when it's time.
fair enough. I hadn't heard anything official stating there would be no news on halo 6 this year.

Fuchsdh

MCC and Halo 5 are getting an Xbox bundle

Four-New-Bundles-Hero-hero.jpg

343, I know we wont get that big grand patch for MCC, but if I can get a HDR patch at least, I will buy a Xbox One S (need a 4k Bluray player)

Huh, was signing into Xbox.com the other day and wondering why they were still advertising the fat MCC bundle.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Am I wrong to be optimistic? After two years, are we really going to use a format that fans, players, and orgs have been asking for the whole time? Are they listening listening, or are they Worlds 2017 listening where they half-ass all suggestions, and add wrinkles that make everything worse?

I dunno, I've felt this sort of optimism before and have been burned. But something tells me something good is about to happen.

PS: how come the blog post mentioned every TO who helped with H5 except for MLG?

You're not wrong to be optimistic (I am!) but I get the "wait and see" approach for some.

That list of TOs was just recognition to those who have run open events since October 2016 (since Orange County).

Trup1aya

You're not wrong to be optimistic (I am!) but I get the "wait and see" approach for some.

That list of TOs was just recognition to those who have run open events since October 2016 (since Orange County).

Gotcha. I'm genuinely ecstatic right now...

jelly

i've never understood why they bothered, always hated the renaming of maps that were clearly just updated versions of previous ones.

also, cool fucking helmet Jorge!

I actually like the renamed remakes... it's fun to see them stay on theme

It was neat the first time they did it. Coagulation, blood, neat but I'm just lost on the names past now. Bring back the classic map names or make new maps and stick with the same names.

Fuchsdh

Tom Morello was crazy because of the sheer scope of it, but the H4 barn leak has style points for daaaaays. A VHS TAPE FOR GOD'S SAKE

The best part of someone continuing that style of leak is even in 2012 a VHS was ridiculous, it'd be amazing in 2017 and someone would have to put extreme effort into making it happen.

Nowise10

Halo 4 barn leaks takes the cake no doubt.

The sheer ridiculousness of it was just incredible. How and why did a leaker have access to a barn with a box TV and power, in the middle of the night, with footage of Halo 4 ported onto a VHS.

Just incredible stuff.

FyreWulff

Halo 4 barn leaks takes the cake no doubt.

The sheer ridiculousness of it was just incredible. How and why did a leaker have access to a barn with a box TV and power, in the middle of the night, with footage of Halo 4 ported onto a VHS.

Just incredible stuff.

people wastin' their money

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The barn leak was funny. I just tried to rewatch it and I probably made it just as far as the first time, about 10 seconds into the footage. Such.horrendous.quality. even as a diehard fan, dying to learn more about halo 4, i just couldnt watch.

belushy

Banned
I remember telling myself I was done with Halo when the h5 leak happened.... first thing i saw was that ads sprint gif on Truth and i was livid haha

Im looking forward to h6 leaks. The constant speculation is like a high for Halogaf. Really fun times.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Huh, was signing into Xbox.com the other day and wondering why they were still advertising the fat MCC bundle.

When my GF bought me an Xbox for her apartment last year it was a slim that came with a digital copy of MCC and a H5 disc... Unless I am missing something this is the same bundle that was available last year.

When my GF bought me an Xbox for her apartment last year it was a slim that came with a digital copy of MCC and a H5 disc... Unless I am missing something this is the same bundle that was available last year.

Thats like selling a car you know is a lemon, but you need the sales soo....

Top Bottom