• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii Compatibility With WaveBird, GC Controller Clarified

I think this was to be expected, but then again its nice to have some confirmation

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/

Unsure how well WaveBirds and old GameCube controllers will operate with Wii, we sought clarification from our Nintendo contacts to better know what to expect. We can now exclusively confirm the following.
WaveBirds and GameCube controllers can be used with all GameCube games and select Wii Disc games. (Emphasis ours.)
WaveBirds are used as Nintendo GameCube controllers, so they need to use the receivers.
The WaveBird receiver does indeed fit into the top of Wii.
WaveBird and GameCube controller compatibility with Virtual Console games has not been announced. Nintendo will release more details about Virtual Console games and controls closer to launch.

Most significant is confirmation that certain Wii games will be compatible with the GameCube and WaveBird controller. Earlier this year at Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Brawl Press Conference, the game's director Masahiro Sakurai expressed difficulty getting the upcoming title's gameplay to mesh well with Wii's remote, and advised the audience to not throw away their GameCube controllers. Nintendo has not announced any Wii titles that will feature GameCube controller compatibility, but based on Sakurai's statement, Brawl may be a likely candidate.

Other points to consider are that in spite of Wii's multi-faceted wireless internet and networking capabilities, WaveBirds will still need their old receivers to work. Also, a lack of clarification, rather than complete denial, on whether WaveBirds or GameCube controllers will be compatible with Virtual Console titles is an interesting idea for Nintendo fans to ponder.
(nw)

Source: Nintendo via GolinHarris

If the 'classic' is as uncomfortable as it looks, they damn well better support the GCN controllers or I won't be supporting VC.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If the 'classic' is as uncomfortable as it looks, they damn well better support the GCN controllers or I won't be supporting VC.
So apparently I'm the only one who thinks the classic controller is actually very comfortable?

Nintendo simply does not make uncomfortable controllers.

Branduil

beermonkey@tehbias said:

The Classic controller looks quite comfortable.

It doesn't look comfortable to me. <shrug> I don't like thumbsticks so close to the edge (PSP, I'm looking at your slider).

Of course I'm willing to try it but there's no reason for them to lock out the GCN controllers other than to force you to buy new ones.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
beermonkey@tehbias said:

It's more comfortable than it looks, but then again I always thought it looked comfortable to start with.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
we need a classic controller thread with details, the picture has a wire, right I thought the remote plugs into it or something.

Saoh

beermonkey@tehbias said:

uncomfortable? the controller is like this

snes-controlpad.jpg

see? jeez... some people.

I'm already turned off by VC. Can someone say greedy? 10$ for an N64 game? Screw off Nintendo. You better be CONSTANTLY giving away Nintendo points with DS and Wii purchases.

Saoh

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yes, how dare 100% of people not always have the exact same opinion on everything! :lol

Man, NFans are a testy bunch.

no, its just GAF complaining about everything for no reason.

"looks uncomfortable!" its shaped like an SNES+GCN controller

"damn those two joysticks!!" .... dualshock2, never used one before?

"it plugs to the wiimote, damn them" oh my GOD!

Saoh said:
no, its just GAF complaining about everything for no reason.

"looks uncomfortable!" its shaped like an SNES+GCN controller

"damn those two joysticks!!" .... dualshock2, never used one before?

"it plugs to the wiimote, damn them" oh my GOD!

Nah, it's more like this.

Reasonable person: If that isn't comfortable I won't be happy.
GAF fanboys: HATERZZZZZ!!!!!!!!OMG!!11!

suaveric

The thing is, other than Gamecube and NES games, I don't think the Gamecube controller would be a great fit for the other systems.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
EDIT: double post.... why didn't it deny me two posts in 60 seconds?

BocoDragon

beermonkey@tehbias said:

I think a reasonable person would expect that Nintendo R&D will make a comfortable controller.

Branduil

Earthstrike said:
I'm already turned off by VC. Can someone say greedy? 10$ for an N64 game? Screw off Nintendo. You better be CONSTANTLY giving away Nintendo points with DS and Wii purchases.

Yeah it'd be better if there just wasn't the option to download classic games at all, m i rite?

BocoDragon

suaveric said:
The thing is, other than Gamecube and NES games, I don't think the Gamecube controller would be a great fit for the other systems.

Actually you'd think the Wiimote, held classic style, would be a far better NES controller than the Cube control.

Gamecube controllers for gamecube games, I say.

BocoDragon said:
I think a reasonable person would expect that Nintendo R&D will make a comfortable controller.

I think a reasonable person knows what he likes and what he doesn't like, and is entitled to express his opinion in a polite manner.

From past experience, I find it more comfortable to have controls towards the center of a controller instead of perched on the very edge, especially when the controller is thin. You may disagree but it's all subjective. Get over it.

SuperPac

Earthstrike said:

How is $10 is an unfair price for games that were, at one time, $50 new?

BocoDragon

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think a reasonable person knows what he likes and what he doesn't like, and is entitled to express his opinion in a polite manner.

No you're not. Thought police, ban this hippie.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
plagiarize said:
so lack of confirmation = CLASSIC CONTROLLER ONLY

you don't think for example, that NES games will work perfectly on the remote?

omg Wii controller for NES games only

Saoh

beermonkey@tehbias said:

i think the worst controller Nintendo has made is the NES one, then the N64 controller. imo. the SNES one was superb.

so yeah, i see no reason to bitch.

davepoobond said:
omg Wii controller for NES games only
it's funny that people are actually believing your posts and not just reading the original article for themselves. you're very good at what you do :)

relyt9

Wow this thread is a breeding ground for Nfanboys to caps their 'logic'. :lol

Anyways, I think Nintendo should allow you to use you GC controllers on the Wii. But who knows, they might announce that feature later.

relyt9 said:
Wow this thread is a breeding ground for Nfanboys to caps their 'logic'. :lol

Anyways, I think Nintendo should allow you to use you GC controllers on the Wii. But who knows, they might announce that feature later.

Well that much was already announced, and then "exclusively" reiterated here...

arab

Can I use my Classic Controller for certain wii games instead of GCN?

Also: Can I use my Classic controller to play GCN games?

Aeana said:
To substitute for the C buttons in N64 games?

That doesn't really answer the question though.

Virtually all N64 games and even a lot of SNES games would benefit from having 2 more face buttons instead of a 2nd analog sticks, so why would they choose a 2nd analog stick over 2 more face buttons unless they clearly were trying to compromise to make it compatible with GC games?

Why go through the trouble of messing up the controls in certain N64 games (for no apparant reason) and ending up with a setup that just happens to be compatible with the GC layout, but not allow it to be used with GC games?

Does that really make sense to anyone?

Some of the questions and complaints here are really strained.

I suppose if Nintendo is working under the assumption that the GC and its controllers have sold so incredibly well that it would be redundant adding GC support to the classic controller, it makes sense not to worry about it.

If they're working under the assumption that most people do not own a GC or GC controller, and that retailers are quickly dropping support for the GC, it would make sense to make sure there is readily available way for people to experience those games.

The Eatable Arab said:
Can I use my Classic Controller for certain wii games instead of GCN?

Also: Can I use my Classic controller to play GCN games?

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn was demoed using a Classic Controller supposedly. Also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will likely also use that, the GCN controller, or either. Don't count on the second one to happen though as that would likely require software emulation.

I always wondered, how well did OoT and MM ports control on the GC? Did the controls map well?

Top Bottom