• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Tiger uppercut said:
Fuck-that-Imma-Chill.jpg

Not liking the new spider-man movie, I suppose I'll deal with it.

Holy shit, you have a time machine??

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
_dementia said:
I saw Never Let Me Go this past Sunday. Garfield is pretty good.

Garfield is a very good actor, I don't know why he's doing shit like this. He could do so much better.

Xater

otake said:
Garfield is a very good actor, I don't know why he's doing shit like this. He could do so much better.

For the paycheck?

I also really like Garfield. He has been good in everything I saw him in.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
otake said:

What male actor WOULDN'T want to be the fucking Spider-Man?

You get to be a superhero most kids pretend to be for a good deal of their lives (especially his generation), you get a solid paycheck to have fun and be said superhero, you get mainstream exposure the likes of which few things can compete with, and you get to get smoochie with Emma Stone.

I mean really.

Have to make the money movie to make the actor's movie.

WJD

otake said:

For fun? I imagine working on a big blockbuster film would be rather enjoyable.

noah111

Still Alive
otake said:
What the fuck? Seriously? As if being casted to play one of the biggest comic book characters of all time, not to mention still hugely popular super-hero characters to this day, is somehow a bad thing?

I don't know of any reasons why he would have turned down the roll, other than it looking like shit, which at this point it does not.. at this point, i'm sold on the costume even more.

otake

SnakeXs said:
What male actor WOULDN'T want to be the fucking Spider-Man?

You get to be a superhero most kids pretend to be for a good deal of their lives (especially his generation), you get a solid paycheck to have fun and be said superhero, you get mainstream exposure the likes of which few things can compete with, and you get to get smoochie with Emma Stone.

I mean really.

Have to make the money movie to make the actor's movie.

By doing spiderman, he's going to get typecast. Look what happened to Toby Macguire. This guy should be following DiCaprios footsteps since he's an even better actor. I think this would do more harm than good for his career. Who's going to take him seriously after this?

SnakeXs

otake said:
By doing spiderman, he's going to get typecast. Look what happened to Toby Macguire. This guy should be following DiCaprios footsteps since he's an even better actor. I think this would do more harm than good for his career. Who's going to take him seriously after this?

The difference is he can actually act.

He's going to get mainstream attention, and thus be a draw, and thus be able to get and take roles he wouldn't before.

He'll only be typecast if he wants to. What did Tobey do between the Spidey flicks? Not much, Seabiscut and some other shitty movie. And, again, not a great actor.

I don't see that happening to Garfield. I just don't.

Zabka

otake said:
Christian Bale has a great story about this
At first, I was somewhat hesitant to do the role [Batman Begins (2005)]. I mean, after all, Batman is an icon. But I remember, as clear as day, being at the grocery store the day the movie opened, and this little boy saw me. He couldn't have been more than five years old. He just walked right up to me and hugged me. He hugged me, and I was so moved by it that I hugged him back. Then he looked up at me and said, "You're my hero." And in that moment, I knew that not only as an actor that I had done my job, but that I had made the right decision to play Batman. And I've never looked back on my the decision to play Batman since.

otake

Solo said:
I do not think you understand what being typecast means.

Educate me, oh wise one.

I think Garfield got a lot of attention from The Social Network already.

SnakeXs

otake said:
Educate me, oh wise one.

Tobey did not take nor was he forced to take roles similar to Spider-Man or Peter Parker subsequent to his stint as Spider-Man.

He merely didn't get good roles, period.

On account of him not being a good actor.

BattleMonkey said:
Because Batman is the only role hes had in the past few years

Not sure if serious.

Solo

otake said:
Educate me, oh wise one.

Typecast is, as the name says, being cast only/mostly as a certain type of character. You know when you watch a mob movie, and there some guy in it that you see in all kinds of mob movies, and pretty much only in those kind of movies? That is someone who is typecast. They get work playing the same kind of part in the same genre of movies, and make a career out of it. To call Tobey Maguire typecast after Spider-Man is completely ludicrous. First, he has barely made any other movies (he doesn't have to, he is rich as fuck from S-M and he is married to the daughter of the head of Univeral), and what he has done has ranged from playing a washed up jockey to war vet with serious PTS disorder. Neither are even close to the realm of playing a nerdy, lovable loser, which is what we'd see Maguire continue to do if he were actually typecast.

Which he isn't.

SnakeXs

BattleMonkey said:
Sarcasm meter broken, or lack of smileys perhaps

It's GAF. Even when I'm sure, I'm never sure.

Namely because I have the KFC thread in my mind and I'm pretty convinced everyone who thinks KFC is the best anything are collectively trolling. It's the only answer.

noah111

Still Alive
OK, from enhancing the photo a bit and messing with the levels, it turns out the foot things are real and final. You can clearly see it on the left foot, but it looks less silver and more grey, but then again it's quite dark. The confirmation comes wen you look closely at the right foot, where you can see the direct front of the foot, revealing this brim that comes from both sides as seen in the set shots..

6z7ub9.png

So hopefully it won't look as bad as it did in the leaked set pics, and by the track of things I don't think it will, at all..

Sentry said:
OK, from enhancing the photo a bit and messing with the levels, it turns out the foot things are real and final. You can clearly see it on the left foot, but it looks less silver and more grey, but then again it's quite dark. The confirmation comes wen you look closely at the right foot, where you can see the direct front of the foot, revealing this brim that comes from both sides as seen in the set shots..

6z7ub9.png

So hopefully it won't look as bad as it did in the leaked set pics, and by the track of things I don't think it will, at all..

The costume looks awful with too much light, it only looks ok in the pics with the darkness and I suppose the movie will help with filters and cg and shit. But the day light shots of it look awful.

noah111

Still Alive
BattleMonkey said:
The costume looks awful with too much light, it only looks ok in the pics with the darkness and I suppose the movie will help with filters and cg and shit. But the day light shots of it look awful.
If i'm not mistaken none of the shots are in daylight, just with a thousand blinding lights pointing right at them. It probably would look better in broad daylight tbh. :lol

Isn't this being shot with that insane RED camera??

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I really don't think the suit will look too bad on film, even including the shoes which may be on screen for 6% of the movie total.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has this been posted yet?

Possible AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Spoiler Reveals Action Packed
Lizard Secret

According to the site one of the big action scenes at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man sees Spidey battling a group of SWAT cops. But what makes it interesting is that these SWAT cops are… all Lizards. The concept of an army of Lizardized people has been used in previous comics, cartoons AND games, and I don’t know if the prevalence of the idea makes it more or less likely to be in the movie.

I sort of hope this is true, as it shows that Marc Webb has successfully taken the original Spider-Man reboot concept – a superhero take on Twilight with most of the action scenes having Peter Parker in civvies – and turned it into something way more kick-ass. And a squad of Lizard cops is a great way to engage Spidey in a terrific and thrilling fight scene without having to resort to CGI.

Salsa

They are already taking a lot of liberties, so im fine with it.

Im also thinking that Peter could be a web designer (well, if they even get to a part where he has a job) instead of a photographer, like in Ultimate.

Im also thinking that there could be a joke with WEB designer and it will be stupid.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I really don't think the suit will look too bad on film, even including the shoes which may be on screen for 6% of the movie total.

You beat me to saying this. You're barely going to see the shoes, and even when you do, they're not going to be the focal point of the shot. I don't see them as a big deal.

beelzebozo said:

This sounds incredibly stupid. I hope this is not true.

Ehhh. Not sure about the news. I have been against this movie from the start, but each time there is some glimmer of hope for it, such as a couple of the costume pics, there comes more shit to make me feel apprehensive again. (Such as some of the other costume pics).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Badassdigest. LOL.

Blader5489 said:
Yep, the first movie to be shot with it.

Hell yeah. Social Network was godly, I can only imagine how an all-digital action film is gonna look.

Lirlond

Messypandas said:
This is from SHH. Thought it was Amazing:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/5107662/800/Spider-Man/New-Poster-1.jpg[img]

By BDS23420[/QUOTE]

[url=http://i.imgur.com/Qj99u.jpg]amidoingitrite.jpg[/url]

Bit-Bit

jett said:
Raimi stole that idea from James Cameron anyway.

Cameron's Spider Man would've been great to see on screen. It would have been "The Dark Knight" before The Dark Knight was even created. At least that was the sense I got from reading the scriptment. A much darker, more serious super hero movie. One that the audience at the time had never seen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bit-Bit said:
Cameron's Spider Man would've been great to see on screen. It would have been "The Dark Knight" before The Dark Knight was even created. At least that was the sense I got from reading the scriptment. A much darker, more serious super hero movie. One that the audience at the time had never seen.

At the same time I don't think Spider-man should be dark. I could bring up SM3 but that wasn't really "dark," and done well it could work, but I just don't think it suits the character. I'm glad we got Raimi's version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom