• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

CrovaxPSO

It's pretty quick to level up a new character normally. I did that with my samurai, just went to some moderate-leveled dungeons and got her up high enough to not get smashed in the higher level areas. By the time I finished the game she was just one level behind everyone else I think.

Shizuka

I've been playing this for some time and I'll be glad to answer a few questions along with the others that played the japanese release.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's pretty quick to level up a new character normally. I did that with my samurai, just went to some moderate-leveled dungeons and got her up high enough to not get smashed in the higher level areas. By the time I finished the game she was just one level behind everyone else I think.

Yeah this game its pretty easy to get other characters up to speed.

SephLuis

I have been playing a review copy too and will post my review once completed.
I will post a small english resume since the review will be in portuguese.

So far, the beginning has been the most difficult part so far. I think this will end up just like SMT IV, either you quit at the first levels or you go all the way to the end.

Parakeetman

I have been playing a review copy too and will post my review once completed.
I will post a small english resume since the review will be in portuguese.

So far, the beginning has been the most difficult part so far. I think this will end up just like SMT IV, either you quit at the first levels or you go all the way to the end.

Yeah pretty much, its due to the very poor equipment your party starts out with. Once you begin to find a few decent drops from enemies things start to even out more as the equipment stats help make up for the lack in levels. Since once again yeah the starting stuff is pretty horrible haha.

If you could get a write up in english that would be great, otherwise a lot of members will not know what is written in your review. :) Just let me know when you have it finished and will add it to the OT!

Hubb

Also once you hit the level cap area of the first half of the story, thats a good section to start dragging along other low level characters one or two at a time and just plow through enemies in a specific area. Am sure you folks will know which area once you get there.

What is the level cap of the second portion? 30?

Derkon

Edit: Great OT as usual Parakeetman! :)

Advice/Thoughts on Assassins? I like the suggested party in the OT, but was thinking of replacing the Warrior with one. Formation would then be:

Assassin/Knight/Samurai in front
Scholar/Wizard/Cleric in back

Assuming Warriors are more durable, but do they bring anything to the table that I would miss over the Assassin?

Parakeetman

What is the level cap of the second portion? 30?

Second half does not have a level cap thankfully :)

Edit: Great OT as usual Parakeetman! :)

Advice/Thoughts on Assassins? I like the suggested party in the OT, but was thinking of replacing the Warrior with one. Formation would then be:

Assassin/Knight/Samurai in front
Scholar/Wizard/Cleric in back

Assuming Warriors are more durable, but do they bring anything to the table that I would miss over the Assassin?

Thanks!

The Assassin is a bit of an odd class though it can be pretty useful as its quite fast turn wise and able to dodge a lot of stuff. Though for pure damage most def the Warrior out does it due to the multiple attack type of skills it has. The only downside to a samurai and assassin in the front is that you will have 2 characters with generally lower HP. As a lot of their stats allocation will go into like speed and luck over vitality and strength. Though its worth trying out since thats part of the fun with these sort of games. :)

They have passive abilities that allow them to hide from combat which prevents direct targeting, though all PT attacks will hit. Also after that there is a skill which causes attacks done from the hiding status to ignore defense stats and deal damage directly, also raises accuracy. Another skill allows for chance to parry which prevent damage from being taken.

For some odd reason too its pretty easy to find Assassin gear in the game

The Warrior has skills that allow for multiple hits on a single target, though the downside with it is that it takes 1 turn of prep time before you can use it. The skill is called "Rush" if they translated it the same. 3 hits on a single target. Which can equal a pretty large amount of damage depending on how you are kitted out equipment wise.

Since you will be missing the Warrior, you would have to also raise your Samurai to be a direct damage dealer with the rampage skill. Though to do that you really need to have the Speed, Luck and Physical stats raised up high. Mainly speed since the rampage skill stops when your character gets hit. But if your character continues to dodge you will keep doing damage for a specified amount of times to that single target. The higher lv or Rampage is the attacks will continue till either the samurai or target dies. In the event if you are hit the Physical stat will help with that, otherwise in a worst case scenario you can be taken down pretty low in HP or die. The Luck is for potential chance of the 1 hit kill stat to proc, which are usually on most Katanas in the game, that is if the enemy can be 1HKed. Also helps with crit chance during the rampage attack.

Derkon

The Warrior has skills that allow for multiple hits on a single target, though the downside with it is that it takes 1 turn of prep time before you can use it. The skill is called "Rush" if they translated it the same. 3 hits on a single target. Which can equal a pretty large amount of damage depending on how you are kitted out equipment wise.

Since you will be missing the Warrior, you would have to also raise your Samurai to be a direct damage dealer with the rampage skill. Though to do that you really need to have the Speed, Luck and Physical stats raised up high. Mainly speed since the rampage skill stops when your character gets hit. But if your character continues to dodge you will keep doing damage for a specified amount of times to that single target. The higher lv or Rampage is the attacks will continue till either the samurai or target dies. In the event if you are hit the Physical stat will help with that, otherwise in a worst case scenario you can be taken down pretty low in HP or die. The Luck is for potential chance of the 1 hit kill stat to proc, which are usually on most Katanas in the game, that is if the enemy can be 1HKed. Also helps with crit chance during the rampage attack.

Ahh ok, so Assassin/Warrior sound pretty similar to how they where in Demon Gaze then. Will have to give it some more thought ;)

Parakeetman

Ahh ok, so Assassin/Warrior sound pretty similar to how they where in Demon Gaze then. Will have to give it some more thought ;)

Yeah for the most part the classes work fairly similar to how they did in Demon Gaze. The same existing ones anyways.

Parakeetman

umm wasn't it 40? but once you finish the main story you can get to 99 if you want in the post game...
you'll probably beat the game before lvl 40 anyway

Yeah just like you said most folks wont really be hitting 40 anyways and from there will be able to max out if they want. lol

CrovaxPSO

For reference I finished the main story at level 28 and got the platinum at 43. That final level is also inflated a bit because of grinding out the 3000 battles trophy for a while at the end after clearing the post-game content.

Shizuka

I love how this game is basically two-in-one (the first two games from the trilogy comprising this Vita remake). Just got to the second half, it keeps getting better and better.

Parakeetman

I love how this game is basically two-in-one (the first two games from the trilogy comprising this Vita remake). Just got to the second half, it keeps getting better and better.

Basically its because if they didnt do that they wouldnt have had enough content to make a full game lol.

Though the only downside, is due to how the title is designed the whole lv cap thing with the first half of the game seemed to confuse folks as they would not be as familiar with why it exists. Which is what we have seen on the internet / twitter.

I have not really been following what NISA has been saying about the title, but wonder if they mentioned that or not. Granted it does not really do them any good considering, its not like they can market it in their favor as those games never came out in the West anyways haha

Regardless of that, they really did do a good job with joining the two titles though. With that being said hope this sells well enough so that they will be able to secure Operation Babel also to complete the arc for fans. Plus Exp Inc really did a great job with Babel from all the feedback and reflection in regards to Abyss.

Finished The Witcher, now I am more than ready for this game!

Nice just a few more days wait for you guys then.

autoduelist

How is the platinum? Grindy? Multiple playthroughs? Missibles? Can you just play peacefully without a guide and expect to be able to get the plat during 'cleanup' postgame, or is it more like 'if you don't do xyz you're screwed'?

Shizuka

NISA isn't advertising this as two games in one mostly because of how Danganronpa was two in one and they decided to split those two for the West, as even if it makes sense, some people would complain to no end about that.

CrovaxPSO

How is the platinum? Grindy? Multiple playthroughs? Missibles? Can you just play peacefully without a guide and expect to be able to get the plat during 'cleanup' postgame, or is it more like 'if you don't do xyz you're screwed'?

One is very grindy, the one for 3000 battles. One is missable, just make sure you clear every quest before starting the 2nd half to get the trophy for clearing all wanted variant quests.

The rest can be gone back for after the ending I'm pretty sure.

Parakeetman

Heres the trophy list, though you might want to avoid it if you want to go into the game fresh.

http://www.exophase.com/game/operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy-ps-vita/trophies/

Crovax has you covered for the other questions.

NISA isn't advertising this as two games in one mostly because of how Danganronpa was two in one and they decided to split those two for the West, as even if it makes sense, some people would complain to no end about that.

Not really advertise it as two in one, but more explain what the roots of the series is. You would think that for the initial PR announcement or something they would have mentioned it.
Danganronpa is a bit different, since that is 2 actual full titles that can stand alone and not like 2 smaller indie games which Generation Xth was.

Would have been something interesting for the new fans of Experience Inc and such. But can see too if / why they did not bother as there is no real merit in it either outside of fun facts for fans.

CrovaxPSO

Is it worthy to get a Conjurer or a Monk up to speed with your party when you get those blood codes?

I only made new characters to get the trophy assocated with the new blood codes I think. Otherwise only used monk as a sub blood in Babel and Cross Blood.

Conjurer is interesting because you can 'steal' an enemy to have it fight for you and act as an additional target but I've never actually used it.

Parakeetman

Is it worthy to get a Conjurer or a Monk up to speed with your party when you get those blood codes?

The Conjurer is a bit odd, the monk works ok for absorbing damage in the front, but getting equipment weapon wise for it might take a while. Though I do remember them having some pretty crazy unique weapons from the junk Ive collected near the end of the game.

I didnt use the Conjurer as much in Abyss, but am using it currently in Babel. I suppose the useful thing about it is that the contract ability to get a monster onto your side helps with taking a monster out of the fight and joins you as an extra member. Though you do not really get to control what it does. To get the more useful skills for the conjurer also help prevent the monster from running away you need to be kinda high.

Its a hard decision to make since you will be removing one of the 3 most important rear classes for it lol. Thats the downside with Abyss is that the cross blood (subjob) system was not introduced yet.

One interesting thing about the Conjurer is that its "spell" group "TRAN" its like it uses monster abilities so has a combination of physical attack, magical attack, status ailment, healing codes for use.

In regards to a high lv monk, if specced out correctly apparently it can out damage a warrior which is interesting.

I messed around with a monk in Abyss, but switched it out for an Assassin. In Babel am using one in the frontlines replacing my fighter at times, works fairly well. Good defense too in general.

Unfortunately cant be much more help than that since am not much more familiar with the classes at this point in time.

Shizuka

Anyway, good work on the OT Parakeetman. I thought Shizuka would be the one that doing it.

As much as I champion these kind of games, my OT skills are still limited. Parakeet always do a great job with these, they're in good hands.

I only made new characters to get the trophy assocated with the new blood codes I think. Otherwise only used monk as a sub blood in Babel and Cross Blood.

Conjurer is interesting because you can 'steal' an enemy to have it fight for you and act as an additional target but I've never actually used it.

I see, I just got that trophy myself when I decided to make a Conjurer to see what kind of skills it has. I'm glad I defeated all wanted variants before moving on with the semester, are there any other missable trophies?

SephLuis

I am currently training a monk. Almost in the end of the first period.

Given what I have seen, I will probably change my warrior and make the monk in my main party. Especially when I get the multiple attacks.

CrovaxPSO

As much as I champion these kind of games, my OT skills are still limited. Parakeet always do a great job with these, they're in good hands.

I see, I just got that trophy myself when I decided to make a Conjurer to see what kind of skills it has. I'm glad I defeated all wanted variants before moving on with the semester, are there any other missable trophies?

Pretty sure all the other trophies can be gone back for after the ending (or any time before it) but I might be wrong so don't hate me if I am. Played through three other Experience games since Abyss, haha.

Shizuka

Pretty sure all the other trophies can be gone back for after the ending (or any time before it) but I might be wrong so don't hate me if I am. Played through three other Experience games since Abyss, haha.

You mentioned gamble codes and I just got them. Should I save the game, use it and reload if there is nothing interesting?

CrovaxPSO

You mentioned gamble codes and I just got them. Should I save the game, use it and reload if there is nothing interesting?

You'll get more, as drops and maybe from some quests, but yeah usually best to just reload if you don't get something useful. Also you can use them with the Piko Piko Hammer (Squeaky Hammer I think in English release) to try to get a MURAMASA pretty easily.

Shizuka

You'll get more, as drops and maybe from some quests, but yeah usually best to just reload if you don't get something useful. Also you can use them with the Piko Piko Hammer (Squeaky Hammer I think in English release) to try to get a MURAMASA pretty easily.

That's the name in English, yes. That hammer is 150kGP though, very expensive. Is there a way to craft it with other items?

CrovaxPSO

That's the name in English, yes. That hammer is 150kGP though, very expensive. Is there a way to craft it with other items?

You can buy the junk version for 15k but the materials are higher level also. By the time you get to the point where the items you can gamble from it are useful, 150k won't be very much.

I think it's 15k anyway. And costs like 60k to craft.

Parakeetman

Yeah JP fans usually said to craft it instead of buying it if you have the materials. But if you just got to the 2nd half of the game still might be a little bit off till you will be able to get the materials to make one. Though by then you money should not be as much of a problem hopefully haha. You should be wrecking shit left and right by then racking up the cash easy.

people

Regarding the 'Curry Item', I started playing a few days ago before reading about this and I have already used about 5 of them
finding Hachi (The Lost New Officer request)
Is this a problem?

Shizuka

Regarding the 'Curry Item', I started playing a few days ago before reading about this and I have already used about 5 of them
Is this a problem?

I think that one just goes on and on and on and on...

Parakeetman

Is this a problem?

No thats perfectly fine and where you are supposed to be using them. Other times folks went and used them as like healing items before finding that request. lol

The quest is one of those you can constantly repeat also. Just keep a few extra in your inventory though. But if you do run out got the location / enemy that drops them in the info section so shouldnt be too much of an issue!
you will use some for a sub request in the 2nd half of the game also

Parakeetman

No problem and enjoy!

Yeah, that and the level check quests never go away so don't worry about them not counting for the trophy. As long as you do the curry quest once it's fine.

Im curious what Hachi's voice sounds like in the US version lol. Mine wont be showing up for a while. D:

Since the game works on the PSVTV do hope that we get more folks recording footage and such.

people

Im curious what Hachi's voice sounds like in the US version lol. Mine wont be showing up for a while. D:

Since the game works on the PSVTV do hope that we get more folks recording footage and such.

Short sample (also my first YT video ever so I hope it worked) https://youtu.be/QgJKmuL8h-8

Sometimes she has longer lines, but not this time unfortunately.

Edit: The background noise/voice is from a stream I was watching while recording, didn't notice until later, sorry!

SephLuis

Finally got to the 2nd semester and thank god for a japanese wiki that's serving as a guide for these few last missions.

You can easily get lost and they can go on and on and on. The lvl cap doesn't help either.

Hopefully, it will pick up the pace now.

Pookmunki

Picking this up tonight, 10's of games to finish be damned - I get panicky when a vita retail title I want comes out.

Parakeetman

No idea. The site is only listing one order but my paypal is showing two orders.
I'll shoot NISA an email tomorrow.

Hope you will be able cancel one. Dont wind up like me with 2 LEs lol. That happened with Amazon. Just wound up keeping it.

Top Bottom