• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins: Combat and Arena Deep Dive - IGN First

Seijuro

Origins certainly looks the part, and it's good that they clearly draw inspiration from one of Ubi's more inspired moments from their recent catalogue. I am cautiously optimistic.

But as with every game in the series I still looking forward to footage that is not edited, heavily cut together or abbreviated, and played by a non-PR person (or journalist guided by a PR guy) so we will finally now if Bayek also is the master of awkward stumbling and janking in front of walls over some boxes like the master assassins that came before.

IKizzLE

Definitely looks good. Vastly prefer hitbox gameplay to whatever that shit they had b4. Fingers crossed everything comes together for launch. Can easily see this scoring as high as horizon, witcher 3, and bloodborne.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can anyone explain what paired animations are?

I'm at work and can't watch. Kinda like the Batman games?
Basically means that no matter what the attack of the player is going to hit the enemy. And unless the player switches to another enemy they're going to hit that person until they die. So there's never going to be a time when the player misses their target, and also makes it so that surrounding enemies aren't hit by the swing of the weapon, like they add a ton of contextual animations to try and hide it so you don't notice in the moment, it's also the reason why parries are always so generous:
3CQfV6U.gif

these kinds of systems are usually much more obvious when it comes to AI attacking each other, as they lock onto each other and never switch until their target is dead is or they're hit by another enemy NPC who's locked on to them:

And since this series had the killstreak feature up until Unity and Syndicate, it made combat encounters really flashy but less skillful affairs, as it turns into thinking more about maintaining the flow of combat while remaining untouched until all enemies are dead, which can be satisfying when you pull that off but again, less involved:

Now you have to take into account a lot of different factors like enemy positions vs your position, the range and speed of your weapon, how many people you'll hit, whether or not you'll miss. etc. etc. Basically think Souls, Zelda, or Witcher combat over something like Batman, the Last of Us, or Uncharted.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Can anyone explain what paired animations are?

I'm at work and can't watch. Kinda like the Batman games?

Basically what the poster above said.

Add also that the attacker and the attacked are locked in their animation.
Once the animation starts both know what will happen, actually the whole gameworld knows what will happen.

Notice in AC games once your attack animation starts it is impossible for the enemy to do anything to you...effectively once a pair are locked in animation they are both invincible till the animation is over. Other enemies can even attack right through you, their bullets are ineffective....but most of the time they just wait for the animation to end before doing anything

Its why even if AI would have dealt a killing blow to the attacked you still keep swinging at what is effectively an enemy with 0 health and should have already flopped to death.

jett

D-Member
It's weird that they never mention For Honor every time they bring up this game's combat system. Even if the HUD is the same.

I don't think this looks good enough. Didn't like FH either for that matter.

zkorejo

Combat is clearly inspired from For Honor with considerable changes to fit into a SP game and make it more flashy and fun. Which is a good thing ofcourse, I really loved FH's combat system but the game had so much networking issues its gathering dust.

Combat looks really good so far, ofcourse hands-on experience is needed to really judge what its like.

I like the different enemy behaviors they talked about. If the combat clicks with me, I am definitely completing all Arena challenges.

dex3108

It's weird that they never mention For Honor every time they bring up this game's combat system. Even if the HUD is the same.

I don't think this looks good enough. Didn't like FH either for that matter.

For Honor is totally different combat system where you are mostly playing rock–paper–scissors. This is more-less Souls light combat.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I kind of feel as if slowly, all of the different elements of all the Ubisoft titles are slowly incorporating elements where they fit from successful bits of other titles they have. That's not really a bad thing as long as those elements are successful.

Darklor01

This all looks cool but I really need an explanation for why the hidden blade was gimped.

Well, he's the first Assassin. Perhaps at the points in the game we've seen, it isn't the effective blade we're used to having or perhaps because he's the first assassin, it just won't be the effective instant kill blade we're used to having. In a way, the hidden blade has always been a bit OP. Instant kill weapon. I think they don't want to have the blade be that OP, OR, it could be that we're seeing it used on enemies which are reasonably higher level than the player in the vids we're seeing. So many possible reasons I can think of.

Yeah, I don't see the For Honor influence either. For Honor is a much more deliberate and slower paced fight focused on 1v1 lock on combat and stamina management. Blocking is the default and direction of attacks are extremely important. This looks faster and more freeform arcadey with zero animation priority. Though the boss/elite 1v1s look a little bit like a For Honor fight, it only looks so superficially.

Crossing Eden

This all looks cool but I really need an explanation for why the hidden blade was gimped.
All about giving more freedom to the player. Have to work towards making the hidden blade as effective as it was in earlier games. As long as enemies are within a threshold it'll still function like before you just have to keep upgrading it.

Ascenion

Well, he's the first Assassin. Perhaps at the points in the game we've seen, it isn't the effective blade we're used to having or perhaps because he's the first assassin, it just won't be the effective instant kill blade we're used to having. In a way, the hidden blade has always been a bit OP. Instant kill weapon. I think they don't want to have the blade be that OP, OR, it could be that we're seeing it used on enemies which are reasonably higher level than the player in the vids we're seeing. So many possible reasons I can think of.

I'm okay with it not being instant kill or even viable in open combat. It really never should've been. I'm more worried about not being able to one shot targets with it. I don't want every main target to be a boss fight. If I stealth to the target and catch them unaware the hidden blade should end it all. Make it contextual in those situations that's fine, just don't make Open combat my only option.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ok. this is exactly what i wanted. Dark Souls combat without the stamina meter. This director knows whats up.

After that meh video about side quests yesterday, my faith in this game is restored. Black Flags was incredible so i have faith in this team.

Theorry

I'm okay with it not being instant kill or even viable in open combat. It really never should've been. I'm more worried about not being able to one shot targets with it. I don't want every main target to be a boss fight. If I stealth to the target and catch them unaware the hidden blade should end it all. Make it contextual in those situations that's fine, just don't make Open combat my only option.

Just focus on upgrading it. And it will be very good. :)

Ascenion

All about giving more freedom to the player. Have to work towards making the hidden blade as effective as it was in earlier games. As long as enemies are within a threshold it'll still function like before you just have to keep upgrading it.

Just focus on upgrading it. And it will be very good. :)

This is fine, as long as it always instantly kills a target if you catch them unaware. I just want my typical stealth to be rewarded regardless of my level.

Crossing Eden

This is fine, as long as it always instantly kills a target if you catch them unaware. I just want my typical stealth to be rewarded regardless of my level.
It will as long as you keep it upgraded.

Darklor01

Hrmm.. I think that could work, however, that means that if you're stealthy enough at play, you can one shot most enemies, if not every enemy except for boss enemies. How would the game contextually differentiate the difference in damage with the same weapon between when you catch an enemy by surprise vs. even when they are aware, hitting them in the neck in the same spot and it not causing one shot death? ... I.E.... why would hitting them in the neck even aware, not kill them regardless of awareness?

Ascenion

It will as long as you keep it upgraded.

Hrmm.. I think that could work, however, that means that if you're stealthy enough at play, you can one shot most enemies, if not every enemy except for boss enemies. How would the game contextually differentiate the difference in damage with the same weapon between when you catch an enemy by surprise vs. even when they are aware, hitting them in the neck in the same spot and it not causing one shot death? ... I.E.... why would hitting them in the neck even aware, not kill them regardless of awareness?

I'm assuming there is a way for the game to differentiate a boss character main target from other enemies. I don't mean any boss in general just main targets. Like if my target is Robert de Sable and I completely stealth through his base and get to him and he's level 60 and I'm level 25 the hidden blade should instantly kill him if he isn't alerted. His guards and mini bosses and whatever else it should do level equivalent damage so in that situation nothing. I'm saying I guess for story mission make it contextual for stealth. If I alert him though then by all means if my hidden blade isn't upgraded he should body me.

The Goat

I'm a bit more interested after watching this vid. Combat was always something I disliked in AC games. It does seem to have a Witcher vibe, and the arenas remind me a lot of Ryse actually. Which for me, isn't a bad thing (I enjoyed Ryse enough).

Even though combat is still simple, the extra options give it a much better flow.

I'm a bit more interested after watching this vid. Combat was always something I disliked in AC games. It does seem to have Witcher vibe, and the arenas remind me a lot of Ryse actually. Which for me, isn't a bad thing (I enjoyed Ryse enough).

Even though combat is still simple, the extra options give it a much better flow.

Simple can be good, like in the other games you mentioned, TW3 and Ryse. I believe this combat look more elaborated than previous games, with more care for timing, positioning, and all that.

Best case scenario it will be a halfway between TW3 and Dark Souls.

(edit: spelling)

Like the combat changes they are doing.

The old one was just spamming a button until instant kill.

Really interested in a Ass Creed game since Black Flag.

sjay1994

The more I see if this game, the more I am warming up to it.

The initial E3 stuff looked super rough, but it's looking better.

Hope the final game shapes up well

Alienous

The more I think about it, the more I wish they had managed to get For Honor's combat system into the game.

It seems perfect for the original concept of Assassin's Creed. The idea that you can take one other person on, or two, but any more than that and you should flee. In the footage of Origins' system fighting three people doesn't seem like a big deal, with things like that flurry rush mode.

I miss that aspect of the original game. Not wanting to engage in direct combat. Assassinations being followed by an escape, rather than fighting a 'boss battle'.

Hopefully they manage to capture that somewhat. It'd be awesome for a assassination to result in a rooftop -> camel chase, followed by an underwater escape, rather than "kill this healthbar".

I don't think that's been very true, in every AC.

In AC1 if you encountered a templar in a crowd, the risk of dying was a real possibility.
and for example Unity got punishing to a fault, where high level enemies could one shot you in an instant (which was bad, since the game performed so bad, that nailing parries was a lucky shot).

So the series, for better or worse, can be hard when it wants to: to problem is, is it fun? And so far, i don't think the combat in AC as ever been particularly fun.

At least the stealth got somewhat decent in Syndicate, but the combat was always serviceable to shit.

I agree with you.

I think trying to make the combat 'fun' is what led to it just becoming a showcase of cool animations.

I'd really like it to be demanding, more so than fun. Fending off three attackers should be a "I better run" moment.

Everything I see is making me more and more interested in this game despite Black Flag being the last AC title I played. Will wait for reviews though.

Peroroncino

This combat system really doesn't click with me in an assassin's creed game, somehow it feels more slow and clunky from the dance of dead you were able to dish out in previous games. It might be more engaging to play, but it feels disjointed from the entire idea of an expert assassin. It also doesn't help that some of those animations look really subpar.

Bizzquik

Any minigames?

This team developed Black Flag, and they made good use of AC3's board games so that visiting taverns felt worthwhile - and appropriately atmospheric. (Seriously, pull up a chair, play some checkers, listen to the conversation, listen to the singing, etc)

Syndicate was terrible about that; just beautiful taverns where the player would enter, pick up a collectible beer bottle...then immediately walk out. What was the point of that, exactly?
Ubi has really turned its back on minigames (see Watch Dogs 2) and I hope that doesn't continue here.

Crossing Eden

This combat system really doesn't click with me in an assassin's creed game, somehow it feels more slow and clunky from the dance of dead you were able to dish out in previous games. It might be more engaging to play, but it feels disjointed from the entire idea of an expert assassin. It also doesn't help that some of those animations look really subpar.
I think that's supposed to be the point, with this game we're kinda defining what that is as a first place. We're starting the game as a full grown adult older than past games which usually start us out around the 18-21 age range. So we're kinda defining what it actually means to be an assassin and presumably overtime the combat turns into that dance of death where you tear through your foes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It actually looks really good, if they don't fill the game with busy work, follow missions and all the other shit that runs every AC game this could actually be really great.

Tagg9

Wow, combat looks so much better than what I saw at E3. I'm not sure if this is just a really good edit or if it's improved in the last few months.

RedAssedApe

Banned
still not sold as i'm personally not a fan of the setting. was kind of hoping they'd really switch it up with the setting similar to the teases they had in syndicate.

who am i kidding though. i've played every mainline go so far...

sublimit

Banned
Obviously inspired by Souls combat which is good.Looks like i will finaly enjoy the combat in an AC game.Now if only the could improve the platforming and made it less automatic/sticky.

iNvid02

Kinda split on the combat, on one hand i like that its different and souls like. But on the other hand, I don't want to engage in combat in these games most of the time, and now if I do, seems like its gonna take a lot longer to overcome

More incentive to try and play stealthy I guess

Kinda split on the combat, on one hand i like that its different and souls like. But on the other hand, I don't want to engage in combat in these games most of the time, and now if I do, seems like its gonna take a lot longer to overcome

More incentive to try and play stealthy I guess

Indeed, feels like a redundant open combat and less like AC game where you are supposed to be an assassin and kill enemies on low profile

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Well, he's the first Assassin. Perhaps at the points in the game we've seen, it isn't the effective blade we're used to having or perhaps because he's the first assassin, it just won't be the effective instant kill blade we're used to having.

He's not the first Assassin, tho. We know of Assassins before him. With hidden blades even. Allegedly effective hidden blades.

Exentryk

Combat is looking good. Dunno how long it will stay interesting, since it doesn't have any magic abilities, but let's see.

sjay1994

There just showing off the combat. The stealth is still there; they even showed still another video before this.

This was my initial dissapointment with the game, because they seem to have over-focused on combat. It looks much better than what was shown at E3 now, but I enjoy stealth more.

And the stealth seems basically unchanged from Syndicate, which is disappointing.Sure they've added ranged options, but I want more interactions in stealth asides from "mark mans" then "stab guy" and "shoot him in the head".

For the longest time (well Syndicate and Unity) AC has been serviceable with the sum of its parts, with the best gameplay the series has had in years is the Ship gameplay from 3 and 4, and the MP from Brotherhood. So seeing them taking large strides to make combat better, but seemingly doing nothing for stealth feels disheartening.

I wish there was more to stealth than that, but its honestly all they've shown regarding the stealth system. There is the "time of day matters, as it changes patrol patterns" but I want more options.

Top Bottom