• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare hitting Amazon

At least these will be tied to the system's system setting, not IP or country setting. Should anyway. If it's a NA Wii, the code should work for that system...right?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nice, hope this means more sales for wiiware games in future...

Awesome! Funny to see Nintendo copying Microsoft though (Unless Amazon struck a deal with all of the console manufacturers at the same time and were just a bit slow to start with Wii Ware games, which is probably the case)

Here's hoping that they start getting VC, DSi Ware and PSN games soon :D

Actually does anyone know a person from the UK with an imported Wii would be able to Wii Ware games from amazon?

Balb

I can't believe a conservative, control-freak company like Nintendo would let Amazon sell their Wiiware games. Good for everyone involved.

HUELEN10

Balb said:
I can't believe a conservative, control-freak company like Nintendo would let Amazon sell their Wiiware games. Good for everyone involved.
Is Ninty directly involved? I mean sure they are involved, but promo codes are not new. Remember that Spike TV World OF Goo giveaway? I won and got a code to get the game. How did they pull it off that time? WOuldn't that be similar to what amazon is seeming to do?

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
Is Ninty directly involved? I mean sure they are involved, but promo codes are not new. Remember that Spike TV World OF Goo giveaway? I won and got a code to get the game. How did they pull it off that time? WOuldn't that be similar to what amazon is seeming to do?
Which makes me think maybe it's up to the developer...

14.99 is less than 1,500 points. This is a steal!

The beginning of the end Gamestop. The beginning of the End. Unless this is on gamestop.com too.

PusherT

Since we are talking about Wiiware I wanted know how is "Groovin Blocks" and "Artstyle Cuebello" ? I think I'm going to get these two wiiware game and I want some impresseions especially on Groovin Blocks.

PusherT said:
Since we are talking about Wiiware I wanted know how is "Groovin Blocks" and "Artstyle Cuebello" ? I think I'm going to get these two wiiware game and I want some impresseions especially on Groovin Blocks.

They're both awesome, Groovin Blocks is a bit rough around the edges in terms of visuals but its a lot of fun and really takes advantage of the music for gameplay (Moreso than Lumines)

Cubello happens to be my favourite Art Style game (Which means a lot because all of the Art Style games are awesome!)

Does Amazon even get a cut this way around?

As I understand, its a 65%-35% split between the Wii Ware publisher and Nintendo, so how does Amazon get paid for this?

markot

Banned
They dont really have any costs >.<

Nintendo hosts the service and games, and the devs make it... seems just like another way to pay, so im guessing they dont get much of a cut at all.

Yes Boss!

HyperZone<3 said:

As I understand, its a 65%-35% split between the Wii Ware publisher and Nintendo, so how does Amazon get paid for this?

They probably get a handling fee in the low single-digit percentage...just as your local C-store or supermarket gets a little something for processing gift cards/lottery and handling the cash...more a driver to Amazon for increased sales in other departments, I'd imagine.

turk128

HyperZone<3 said:

I'm guessing they get a small commission or even nothing at all; just bringing buyers to Amazon is enough of an incentive.

EDIT: heh, 3 people in a row.

markot

Banned
They need to up their dd pc service and start selling more stuff >.< give the others some decent competition!

PusherT

Nuclear Muffin said:
They're both awesome, Groovin Blocks is a bit rough around the edges in terms of visuals but its a lot of fun and really takes advantage of the music for gameplay (Moreso than Lumines)

Cubello happens to be my favourite Art Style game (Which means a lot because all of the Art Style games are awesome!)
Groovin Blocks look all kind awsome on those Nintendo Channel videos,good to know it is good gameplay too. Yeah Art Style Cuebello look like its a AAA expirence. I will have 600 nintendo points left after i get Grooin Blocks and Cuebello what non puzzle wiiware game can I get for 600? Is Bit Trip Beat a releaxing easy game, the games music sounds great, but I have heard it is hard. Is Orbient fun and relaxing. Or that Konami Sandy Beach game?

HUELEN10

Duke Togo said:
Tell us about how happy it makes you. Open our eyes to your new horizons of joy, young Huelen10.
:lol Nah, but I am very happy for 2 reasons.
1: I have hundreds in funds for amazon available to purchase games specifically thanks to an on campus club. Guess who's Wii used for activities? Mine.
2: Easier to gift!
Flek said:
SOOOOONY WHAAAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR :( ?
Sorry, been taken.
2wftooh.png

I never realised you could buy codes for these, does the UK amazon do the same or am I SOD? Rather cool if you don't want to buy points for something cheaper then you need.

PusherT said:
Groovin Blocks look all kind awsome on those Nintendo Channel videos,good to know it is good gameplay too. Yeah Art Style Cuebello look like its a AAA expirence. I will have 600 nintendo points left after i get Grooin Blocks and Cuebello what non puzzle wiiware game can I get for 600? Is Bit Trip Beat a releaxing easy game, the games music sounds great, but I have heard it is hard. Is Orbient fun and relaxing. Or that Konami Sandy Beach game?
:lol
Its one of the hardest games Ive ever played. I mean that literally.

Nif

I only have two regrets about the recent digital downloads on Amazon.

1. I don't think they offer all games. :(
2. I can't use them as fillers for free shipping. :(

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
World of Goo is a simply brilliant game, so I'm glad they are doing this for the game. More people need to play it!

OnPoint

I guess this is good, but I don't have problems buying games the traditional way with Nintendo. Btw, is Amazon adding tax to the purchases? We're not paying any with the current method. The reason I feel it was good with Microsoft was so I didn't have to deal with their spacebucks, but I can't recall if tax was added there or not either.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
McBacon said:
One left, Amazon!

PSN need this more than XLBA and WiiWare since they don't sell their PSN cards online anywhere ( or at many stores ) and Sony locked foreign credit cards on their Stores unlike Nintendo .

Damn, pretty convenient. I like.

What I don't like is the fact that I had around $17, really wanted World of Goo, but where they only let you get $10 or $20, and not just $15, I wasn't able to get it so I settled on Paper Mario yesterday. Wow, if I'd just waited. Fuck.

Bizzyb

Banned
Koshiro said:
Ladies and gentlemen, a glimpse of the future.

indeed, and I will be very surprised if this does not increase sales significantly. Amazon.com has basically become "The Internet Store"

Oh how I wish I had invested in them 10 years ago...

Kunan

Totobeni said:
PSN need this more than XLBA and WiiWare since they don't sell their PSN cards online anywhere ( or at many stores ) and Sony locked foreign credit cards on their Stores unlike Nintendo .
PSN cards don't even exist in Canada :/

dyls

Yay for two big reasons (if it expands to more [all] games)

1. Not having to enter my credit card info ever again on the Wii Shop Channel.
2. Not having to deal with having 900 points and wanting a 1000 point game and being forced to buy an extra 900 points.

Now if only they would let me buy the game and have it start downloading immediately via wiiconnect24 so that when I got home it would be ready to play, everything would be perfect. But given that this is Nintendo we're talking about, I'll expect that feature to be ready in early 2014.

Still, a good if modest start.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sony shouldn't put their games on Amazon because it would be trying too hard now that MS and Nintendo are doing it.

gabe90

Thank god for this discussion. I felt that Amazon selling XBLA games before was pretty groundbreaking, and no one really seemed to see the massive impact.

Hopefully this will result in more sales and competition in pricing for digitally distributed games. I know I will buy more and this makes me much more welcoming to digital distribution in general.

Ranger X

This is awesome for Nintendo's wallet but it doesn't adress the "digital era" shortcomings at all. Nothing goes forward, just more accessibility to the product.

Mrbob

Why would sony need to put their wares up on amazon?

Everything on the Playstation Store is sold already at dollar value. None of this points garbage.

Of course, I guess the argument could be done to help awareness of PSN to more consumers....but there is a giant playstation store icon on the XMB. At the end of the day, it couldn't hurt for sony to have psn games up on amazon as well.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Mrbob said:
Why would sony need to put their wares up on amazon?

I think everyone just wants more sales opportunities... discounts I mean, like the recent XBLA deals.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
HyperZone<3 said:

they get the money the exact same way stores get money for selling Wii Points Cards and MS Points cards.

edit - and it sounds silly, but if I don't get charged tax on this from amazon (I'm guessing I won't) then this is already a leg up over buying the game from Wii Shop. I get charged tax from Nintendo (stupid like 1 service center in the entire state)

Pojo

Banned
Sony has to do this. There are too many games that I would buy for reduced prices.

I'm not cheap, I just have too much to play!

Top Bottom