• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

Just got Steam and love it. My first game is counter strike and i noticed it came with condition zero and the deleted scenes. Can i remove the deleted scenes from my game list?

Forkball said:
RIP wallet

Get TF2 if you know what's good for you.

Just get Orange Box ! The value for the money is unbeatable.

Oh and ignore the hats in TF2 ... or you are doomed.

Steam sale ahead ? Shit, you're already doomed !

Last call for someone to gift me indie packs/ FEAR pack in exchange for either a Brink Steam key or a D2D code foe Hunted.

I have no money and my computer can't run Brink or Hunted so it would be great if someone wanted either of the games but didn't want to pay full price.

$ 20/30 for a $50 game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
It hasn't been scrapped. They did announce cock-tease it too early though :(
Yeah, it tends to work out better for valve when they just release features unannounced. "Oh yeah, there is a screen shot feature", "Oh, we added Facebook integration, cool?", "Did we mention we have Youtube integration now?"

Sblargh

Banned
Does FEAR (one and two, obviously, because I'm wondering if I buy this off steam this weekend) have solid single player? I don't really care for multiplayer, but I do enjoy a lot when FPS do good single player.

Sblargh said:
Does FEAR (one and two, obviously, because I'm wondering if I buy this off steam this weekend) have solid single player? I don't really care for multiplayer, but I do enjoy a lot when FPS do good single player.

The first FEAR certainly does. Definitely worth your time.

I'm playing Fear 2 after having loved Fear 1 years ago right now. I can't put it down its well worth it bundled in with the first.

I'm speed running it on normal, soooo good.

coopolon

MRORANGE said:
Has steam big comfy couch mode been scrapped or something, not heard anything else about it for a while.

Do people think this is just going be for the Steam interface? Or are they working with developers to get controller support more/better integrated into games. Because honestly, if all it is is allowing you to navigate the steam interface with the controller, I'm not sure why people are so excited for that. I just keep a cheap $15 wireless keyboard (with built in trackpad) by the TV to get around steam with, it's the games I have problems with.

Edit: Although I guess if you have your PC only hooked up to your tv and only buy games that natively support the pad, it will be a nice feature.

Mairu

coopolon said:
Do people think this is just going be for the Steam interface? Or are they working with developers to get controller support more/better integrated into games. Because honestly, if all it is is allowing you to navigate the steam interface with the controller, I'm not sure why people are so excited for that. I just keep a cheap $15 wireless keyboard (with built in trackpad) by the TV to get around steam with, it's the games I have problems with.
I personally am pretty excited about controller support for the Steam interface. The majority if not all of the big publisher releases have innate xbox controller support and even a lot of the indie games also do (like Super Meat Boy). I don't really expect Valve to push controller support on all the developers.

coopolon

Mairu said:
I personally am pretty excited about controller support for the Steam interface. The majority if not all of the big publisher releases have innate xbox controller support and even a lot of the indie games also do (like Super Meat Boy). I don't really expect Valve to push controller support on all the developers.

Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? Is your PC just hooked up to your tv, or do you also have it connected to a monitor?

Mairu

coopolon said:
Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? Is your PC just hooked up to your tv, or do you also have it connected to a monitor?
I have it connected to a monitor right now, but a lot of the games I've been playing lately (AC, RFG/RFA) I've been playing with a controller. It'd be nice to be able to not have to switch between the controller and keyboard.

coopolon said:

Edit: Although I guess if you have your PC only hooked up to your tv and only buy games that natively support the pad, it will be a nice feature.

I think we might see something like the OnLive interface, where they just implement a simple xpadder like system for games that don't support controllers.

coopolon

LocoMrPollock said:
I think we might see something like the OnLive interface, where they just implement a simple xpadder like system for games that don't support controllers.

This would be interesting. Does it work well on OnLive?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Does anyone know when the summer sale actually takes place? Also are any of those indie packs worth it for 10? I already have Machinarium. Capsized and that MegaMan looking game look cool. Im also slightly hesitant cause the summer sale might have these guys.

~Kinggi~ said:
Does anyone know when the summer sale actually takes place? Also are any of those indie packs worth it for 10? I already have Machinarium. Capsized and that MegaMan looking game look cool. Im also slightly hesitant cause the summer sale might have these guys.
will you play all the games in said pack in the next 14 days? if not pass for now, cheaper or not I think it's worth buying if you want to play them instead of letting them sit in steam untouched.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Diablohead said:
will you play all the games in said pack in the next 14 days? if not pass for now, cheaper or not I think it's worth buying if you want to play them instead of letting them sit in steam untouched.
it is too late for that my friend, just too late smh

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, Sonic Generations is definitely coming to the PC:
2h3zv9x.jpg

did any of the Total War games go on sale during the last summer sale? I have Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 and I'm itching for Empire and Napoleon but the combined GOTY edition is still running at 45$ on steampowered. hoping that it goes down to 20ish during the sale

Derrick01

Banned
I really hope it starts monday. I wanted to have $100 ready for this but I've managed $120 so far, so my wallet is ready.

Hoping for a Bulletstorm 50% off deal, which would make it $15. I've been wanting to play that since it came out, but I failed myself and picked the wrong choice that day and got Killzone 3 instead.

Derrick01 said:
I really hope it starts monday. I wanted to have $100 ready for this but I've managed $120 so far, so my wallet is ready.

Hoping for a Bulletstorm 50% off deal, which would make it $15. I've been wanting to play that since it came out, but I failed myself and picked the wrong choice that day and got Killzone 3 instead.

This year GoG may get the majority of my $$$. Their sale begins Monday.

Weenerz

Banned
Derrick01 said:

NO! I get paid Friday, it must begin after that!

plc268

Advance_Alarm said:
did any of the Total War games go on sale during the last summer sale? I have Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 and I'm itching for Empire and Napoleon but the combined GOTY edition is still running at 45$ on steampowered. hoping that it goes down to 20ish during the sale

Probably.

The Total War games go on sale pretty regularly though. Only Shogun 2 hasn't seen a huge discount yet, only because it's still relatively new.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, this is odd. Speculate what you think this means, I have an idea of what you may be thinking though. Grain of salt and such.

Two fairly new entries to the registry are "Valve TestApp440 - Test 1" and "Valve TestApp440 - Test 1 (DE)" [This isn't a Deluxe Edition, it is a Low Violence version, DE means Deutsch, aka German, it has the value LowViolenceInRestrictedCountries=1"]

Now, why should you care? If you ever took the time to find the tools to look at stuff, you will find things like "[8527] ValveTestApp55399 Comp", which is normally done to try and obscure just what the game is. Lower number are Valve games. Now, at first I thought it could be Dota 2, because the Beta of Dota 2 is 490. But, I just took a quick look at 440 is. Want to know what 440 is? Team Fortress 2.

440.jpg

And I just now noticed there is a "No Cost" check ticked.
App440.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

In other news, for what I went to check, there is only 1 real complete pack I saw added, a Paradox one. The other that somewhat look like them are just Splinter Cell Conviction and "Sword of the Stars Complete Collection Retail", which looks to be one game.

Can you fix the FOV in FEAR2?

And since I always ask but never get a solid answer, can I play it in 4:3 without black bars? (you couldn't in the demo)

leng jai

Kind of an OCD request, but is it possible to add non-steam works Steam games but also having the stock Steam artwock for the icon? Eg. Witcher 2

Blizzard

Banned
Gvaz said:
Is anyone else not able to gift? Things just don't load.
I had to keep going back through the checkout process to get the friends list page to completely load so that I could select someone. I hope it gets fixed.

Kirby, I guess they'll release meet the medic and medic items and maybe pyro update and make an optional version of the game free to play and stuffs.

Drkirby said:
Ok, this is odd. Speculate what you think this means, I have an idea of what you may be thinking though. Grain of salt and such.

Two fairly new entries to the registry are "Valve TestApp440 - Test 1" and "Valve TestApp440 - Test 1 (DE)" [This isn't a Deluxe Edition, it is a Low Violence version, DE means Deutsch, aka German, it has the value LowViolenceInRestrictedCountries=1"]

Now, why should you care? If you ever took the time to find the tools to look at stuff, you will find things like "[8527] ValveTestApp55399 Comp", which is normally done to try and obscure just what the game is. Lower number are Valve games. Now, at first I thought it could be Dota 2, because the Beta of Dota 2 is 490. But, I just took a quick look at 440 is. Want to know what 440 is? Team Fortress 2.

440.jpg

App440.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

In other news, for what I went to check, there is only 1 real complete pack I saw added, a Paradox one. The other that somewhat look like them are just Splinter Cell Conviction and "Sword of the Stars Complete Collection Retail", which looks to be one game.

I wouldn't use the fact there is no price listed as evidence for anything. Many times games are given a placeholder as you know for price, be it 0 or $99.99.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LovingSteam said:
This year GoG may get the majority of my $$$. Their sale begins Monday.
Nice. Ever since they comped me on my Witcher 2 gog install to make up for the faulty disc, ive been tempted by some of the games in their catalog.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LovingSteam said:
I wouldn't use the fact there is no price listed as evidence for anything. Many times games are given a placeholder as you know for price, be it 0 or $99.99.
I am pointing out the fact that it says "No Cost" in Billing Type. Not just a $0.00 price. Almost all applications have "Proof of Prepurchase" or "Bill Only Once" checked.

Anther example of a game that has "No Cost" is 'The Cat and the Coup', which as you may or may not know, is a free indie game on Steam.

MNC

Drkirby said:

440.jpg

App440.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

Oh fuck. f2p tf2 incoming.

Man ever since you got that registry tool from the forum you're becoming preeeetty addicted!

Salsa

Drkirby said:
I am pointing out the fact that it says "No Cost". Not just a $0.00 price. Almost all applications have "Proof of Prepurchase" or "Bill Only Once" checked.

TF2 gonna be Valve's free to play game

wich would be kinda disappointing considering almost everyone has the game by now, and its only 10 bucks

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MNC said:
Oh fuck. f2p tf2 incoming.

Man ever since you got that registry tool from the forum you're becoming preeeetty addicted!
Actually I have had it for a long time, there just tends not to be that much stuff of note on it (Oh look, more railworks DLC). The main reason I have been checking is E3 week and Dota 2 tidbits (Hey, this guy said something about Dota 2, lets see if there is anything new in the registry!)

Gvaz

Banned
Blizzard said:
I had to keep going back through the checkout process to get the friends list page to completely load so that I could select someone. I hope it gets fixed.

Kirby, I guess they'll release meet the medic and medic items and maybe pyro update and make an optional version of the game free to play and stuffs.
I can't get the button to load and it gets to gift note and doesn't even load up.

The Judge

I want to buy Orange Box, does it usually also get a discount during sales? Browsing past sales threads led me to think that it doesn't, but i figured I should just ask.

So, to wait or not to wait? Steam sales virgin here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Judge said:
I want to buy Orange Box, does it usually also get a discount during sales? Browsing past sales threads led me to think that it doesn't, but i figured I should just ask.

So, to wait or not to wait? Steam sales virgin here.
Yeah, it tends to. If you can hold out, wait a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom