• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon HD 6870 and HD 6850 benchmarks

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
grkazan12 said:
Hey Coolio can you link to the thread you made about pc gaming thinking about a PC but still unsure.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408283

id say go for it.

JudgeN said:
Dawn of war 2/Xpac
Dragon Age /w texture pack
Cryostasis (poorly coded)
Red Faction Guerrilla ( FPS start drop when explosions start happening)
The Last Ramnant (Could be poorly coded)
Lost Planet 2
FFXIV :)lol )
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Poorly coded)

So yea we need MORE POWER :lol

aight but as far as the poorly coded games go you could spend eons trying to max them out and get nowhere.

JudgeN

-COOLIO- said:
aight but as far as the poorly coded games go you could spend eons trying to max them out and get nowhere.

Hey now, I'm holding on to the dream that one day the raw power of a the GPU will outdo some of the poor coding :lol

JudgeN said:
Dawn of war 2/Xpac
Lost Planet 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Call of Pripyat

A lot of those are due to a CPU bottleneck though.

JudgeN said:
Dawn of war 2/Xpac
Lost Planet 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Call of Pripyat

That's not due to the lack of power but more so the lack of optimization. And Neverwinter Nights 2 will always run like shit because it wasn't made with multi-core in mind. Until CPU speeds reach the 5Ghz mark it will never be maxed out.

And yes your i7 clocked at 4Ghz won't make too much of a difference. -

burgerdog

So UPS did another delivery and I was home this time, got the 6870 :D I installed the drivers and I don't see the MLAA option, though.

Fonds

Did anyone have problems installing their drivers for the 6870?

I had to use some sketchy workaround for the install to actually install the video drivers, as it didnt work normally the first time around.
Annoyed the fuck out of me. Besides ATI drivers working like they usually do, it's an awesome videocard. Just got a bottlenecking old AMD 64 X2 atm, which i'll be replacing with a phenom II X4 black edition...

Should be alright, right?

Milpool

burgerdog said:
So UPS did another delivery and I was home this time, got the 6870 :D I installed the drivers and I don't see the MLAA option, though.

You need to install the 10.10a hot fix drivers to use MLAA.

edit - 10.10c are out here.

pestul

Milpool said:
You need to install the 10.10a hot fix drivers to use MLAA.

edit - 10.10c are out here.
10.10c was supposed to work with Vista, but apparently it doesn't as reported at Rage3d. :p

Kind of a bungled mess of hotfixes here. At least they're working on it though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pulled the trigger on a 6870 yesterday. Should be here by tomorrow; I can't freaking wait. My current gpu is a 7800GT bwhahaha. Also got a long ass hdmi cable from monoprice so I can hook it up to my 61" 1080P hdtv.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Kaako said:
Pulled the trigger on a 6870 yesterday. Should be here by tomorrow; I can't freaking wait. My current gpu is a 7800GT bwhahaha. Also got a long ass hdmi cable from monoprice so I can hook it up to my 61" 1080P hdtv.

I envy you.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
subversus said:
I envy you.
It'll be a return to glory days for me. Stuck with old system for so long and now I get to play all the amazing pc titles that I missed @ 1080P with all the bells and whistles(hopefully). I may buy another one later on for crossfire x if it drops to $150. Then it'll be smooth sailing till the next 2-3 gpu cycles. Feels so go to be back to the master race. ;)

got a xfx 6850 - the fans at 50% which seem to be the default, are ungodly loud

fine at 20%, will have to see how hot we get while playing games

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JudgeN said:
Dawn of war 2/Xpac
Lost Planet 2
Stalker Clear Sky
Stalker Call of Pripyat

RFG runs like buttermilk on my rig. Might want to try triple buffering and DX9.

Nabs

Fulleffect said:

get msi afterburner and create a automatic fan profile that will increase fan speed as your temps rise.

THE:MILKMAN

Got a noob question RE: my new 6850.

Checking the GPU-Z log after running the RE5 benchmark I noticed that the memory maxed out at 270 MHz.

I'm getting confused with the real vs effective speeds and nothing seems to add up!

The spec's say 1 GHz(4 GHz effective).......Anyone kindly explain this to me?

Cheers.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Are you sure it hadn't just downclocked itself, after the program was closed?

Restart the benchmark, then Alt-Tab out and check the clocks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
THE:MILKMAN said:
Got a noob question RE: my new 6850.

Checking the GPU-Z log after running the RE5 benchmark I noticed that the memory maxed out at 270 MHz.

I'm getting confused with the real vs effective speeds and nothing seems to add up!

The spec's say 1 GHz(4 GHz effective).......Anyone kindly explain this to me?

Cheers.
Is GPU-Z updated for the 6 series yet?
Check RivaTuner as well

Milpool

Hazaro said:
Is GPU-Z updated for the 6 series yet?
Check RivaTuner as well

I don't think so, I've seen a few people mention borked readings. Apparently Afterburner displays the correct value.

THE:MILKMAN

It does down clock nicely when just surfing the net(to 81 mhz). The 270 MHz is @100% GPU load.

270 X 4 =1080........about right, but then I would have to times by 4 again to get 4GHz effective, which don't make sense.

Just to be clear, this is what I did:

Start GPU-Z and tick log to file and continue refreshing in background.
Minimised GPU-Z.
Started and ran the RE5 benchmark, then exited.
Checked the GPU-Z log.

@Hazaro The change log just say's "Improved support for the 6850 and 6870". I'll checkout RivaTuner. Cheers.

Edit: Afterburner is reporting the correct memory speed. Just a GPU-Z bug.

Thanks for the help guy's.

I'm not much of an OC'er (have a stock e8400 heh) so I went ahead and ordered the VisionTek HD 6870.

Can't wait for this bad boy to get here!

I was curious though, it has 2xDVI and 1xHDMI so does this mean I can have my dual monitors and hook the other up to my HDTV? Or is it an either/or thing? I'd like to just have the option to go out to my HDTV when I feel the need to try things on there but don't want it as a display 100% uptime. I'll probably just mess around with the software when it comes.

Oh, and what exactly is a "mini display port"?

flyinpiranha said:
I'm not much of an OC'er (have a stock e8400 heh) so I went ahead and ordered the VisionTek HD 6870.

Can't wait for this bad boy to get here!

I was curious though, it has 2xDVI and 1xHDMI so does this mean I can have my dual monitors and hook the other up to my HDTV? Or is it an either/or thing? I'd like to just have the option to go out to my HDTV when I feel the need to try things on there but don't want it as a display 100% uptime. I'll probably just mess around with the software when it comes.

Oh, and what exactly is a "mini display port"?

You can hook upto 4 displays at once, but you need to use the display port connections to support more than 2 displays.

I asked on Twitter and Anand said they are hoping to have an article up tomorrow about the different brands of 6850. Just wanted to share in case any others are holding off.

Billychu said:
I have a 5770, would these run in crossfire well, or should I just replace it/use it as a secondary card?

No, Crossfire requires the same series card, like a 5700 series or a 6800 series. You could not use that with a 6800 series card to Crossfire ;(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
prodystopian said:
I asked on Twitter and Anand said they are hoping to have an article up tomorrow about the different brands of 6850. Just wanted to share in case any others are holding off.
That's probably good since some like the ASUS TOP Cu have 2x 6pin.

suikodan

Hey

I just switched from a GEFORCE 9800GTX to a HD 6850 (the XFX model) so I'm changing ships again from Nvidia to ATI. I've got some concerns/questions though.

1- 1080p doesn't cover all the screen on my HDTV. Where the Nvidia would display 1080p on the full screen with the "Full pixel" option, I need to configure my TV to "-1" for the display to take all the screen. I can't seem to find an option to tweak that.

2- It's perhaps me but the display in Windows (fonts, etc...) doesn't seem as crisp with the ATI as opposed to the Nvidia and yes, this comes from a Win7 fresh install. I've done the Auto-Tune option for the HD 6850 but didn't see any improvement.

Would it change anything if I connect my PC to the TV using a HDMI cable instead of a DVI2HDMI?

3- I've played around with the AA options a bit but this thread gave me lots of information about the MLAA so I'll try it out more tonight.

mikki

Hey

I just switched from a GEFORCE 9800GTX to a HD 6850 (the XFX model) so I'm changing ships again from Nvidia to ATI. I've got some concerns/questions though.

1- 1080p doesn't cover all the screen on my HDTV. Where the Nvidia would display 1080p on the full screen with the "Full pixel" option, I need to configure my TV to "-1" for the display to take all the screen. I can't seem to find an option to tweak that.

2- It's perhaps me but the display in Windows (fonts, etc...) doesn't seem as crisp with the ATI as opposed to the Nvidia and yes, this comes from a Win7 fresh install. I've done the Auto-Tune option for the HD 6850 but didn't see any improvement.

Would it change anything if I connect my PC to the TV using a HDMI cable instead of a DVI2HDMI?

3- I've played around with the AA options a bit but this thread gave me lots of information about the MLAA so I'll try it out more tonight.

open CCC click on desktop & display select configure there is a scaling option try to adjust it

pestul

suikodan said:
Hey

1 - Go to Catalyst Control Centre - Graphics - Desktops and Displays - Click the 'down triangle' on the display listed the bottom (please select a display) - Configure. You should find plenty of options in there to resolve your issue. It might even fix #2 if the scaling is off.
3 - Try the other thread here on MLAA (search) for some good information too. The 10.10 hotfix Ds support MLAA on DX10/11 titles too.

ShOcKwAvE

suikodan said:

I had this same issue recently. I'm don't have CCC on this computer so I can't give exact details, but in the section where you configure your displays, you need to right-click on the TV to see the advanced settings. One of the advanced setting tabs has a slider that adjusts the scan limit or something like that. Move it all the way to the right.

suikodan

pestul said:
1 - Go to Catalyst Control Centre - Graphics - Desktops and Displays - Click the 'down triangle' on the display listed the bottom (please select a display) - Configure. You should find plenty of options in there to resolve your issue. It might even fix #2 if the scaling is off.
3 - Try the other thread here on MLAA (search) for some good information too. The 10.10 hotfix Ds support MLAA on DX10/11 titles too.

I've been in the Desktops and Displays but I've been clicking on the wrong triangle.

Indeed, it did fix my first two issues. The 1080p issue was set to "underscan" and now it fits perfectly and the sharpness of the display is much more like it was before!

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Yoritomo

Zep said:
Suddenly have the urge to sell my new 470 :-/

? From everything I'm seeing the 470 is pretty much equal to the 6870.

Well except in power draw where the 470 is a huge power hog.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I just upgraded from a gtx 260 to a 6850....Holy fuck! The difference was a lot more than i anticipated. Bad company 2 is so damn smooth now! What an awesome card for 200 bucks :D

zedge

Fulleffect said:

There is probably a firmware upgrade to fix this. There was for my gigabyte. They even had their own flashing utility to make it easy.

Top Bottom