• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #250 - The World's 50 Greatest Developers

Detox

ibjBzccJcsP2tc.JPG

iHHCDSMofdQ8W.JPG

Reviews:
Planetside 2: 8
DmC: 8
The Walking Dead: 8
Ni No Kuni: 8
Ace of Spades: 4
Zero Escape: 7
Uncharted fight for fortune: 5
Aero porter: 7
Qatqi: 8

criteria for list: "we're interested in technical and creative ability, and in studios that realise the most involving and stimulating game worlds, whether that's through visual, audio or game design." Imagination to bring new influences and themes to games, experiment with new ways of interacting, ingenuity in creating enthralling experiences, understand and engage with their audiences and have the vision to know where games are going next.

Top 50 devs:
1. Valve
2. Mojang
3. Nintendo EAD
4. Platinum Games
5. Naughty Dog
6. Rockstar North
7. Bungie
8. FromSoftware
9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games
11. Epic Games
12. Media molecule
13. Dice
14. Kojima Productions
15. Irrational
16. ArenaNet
17. Blizzard
18. Rocksteady
19. Ubi Montreal
20. Bethesda
21. Double Fine
22. Terry Cavanagh
23. Thatgamecompany
24. Gearbox
25. 343
26. Firaxis
27. EA Canada
28. Bioware
29. Eidos Montreal
30. Playdead
31. Sony online entertainment
32. Crytek
33. Redlynx
34. Vlambeer
35. CCP
36. Telltale
37. Id
38. Ninja theory
39. Quantic Dream
40. Codemasters
41. Criterion
42. Mossmouth
43. Harmonix
44. Sony Santa Monica
45. Capybara
46. Creative assembly
47. Halfbrick
48. Wayforward
49. Jagex
50. Relic

SJRB

Gold Member
Mojang on 2? Arkane on 8, but no Ubi in the top 10?

Is this for real?

Also - Where is Rocksteady on that list?

massoluk

Banned
Please tell me this is in no particular order, because one could argue for Valve but no fucking way should Mojang be at the second spot.

pelican

DmC 8/10

The haters blood pressure must be rising. Another good review.

edit - My sub didn't arrive today. Bloody Royal Mail.

pelican

Please tell me this is in no particular order, because one could argue for Valve but no fucking way should Mojang be at the second spot.

As much as I live Valve and Steam they haven't actually officially released a final product in nearly two years. So I don't get why they are number one if this list is going to be an annual venture. Perhaps I will understand their reasoning after reading the article.

Good to see Rockstar North represented as Rockstar North, and not just Rockstar.

Dennis

Banned
I would have put Rockstar at the top.

What has Valve done for me lately? As a developer I mean.

Also, CD Projekt seems to be missing from the list.

Valve at the top is something I cannot possibly agree with. I think they play it far too safe with their software to warrant the top spot. Naughty Dog and Rockstar North below Platinum rubs me the wrong way too.

Edit - Mojang are the Minecraft guys?! Oh come on, that is horseshit.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can't say I agree with Valve or Mojang.

Valve is great and all, they have a fantastic platform in Steam, but as an actual Game Developer they don't really do a lot, they haven't touched their main franchise for like 5 years, and that was an expansion. Episode 1 and 2 are pretty much failed attempts at the aim of getting out smaller titles quickly instead of full game, and it took then 3 years to do so.

Mojang have done one game, a game that while a bit of a craze would in no way IMO make them one of the greatest developers around.

I could can agree with Nintendo EAD, Naughty Dog, Rockstar and Bungie being in there, the rest seem like the typical noise you hear from their respective small audiences and have ended up ignoring some better developers.

I had to google Riot Games, another studio with one game that is a top ten of the greatest game developers, no developer should be greatest when their games lineup is one title regardless of how good it is next to others who have consistently put out multiple top tier games.

SgtCobra

Valve? Mojang? I disagree.
Yeah agreed with you disagreeing, their support on Minecraft is superb in my opinion, but ahead of Rockstar Nintendo EAD Bungie and Naughty Dog? Hell no, in every way possible.
Valve hasn't touched their main franchise in years. Bu-bu-bbbb-but Steam? Yeah, no we're talking about games not services, if that's the case then the 1st place is fully justified. Portal 2 was awesome though.
Platinum is also too high, but that's debatable.

EDIT: just saw Arkane, Riot and From on the top 10 holy shit hahahaha I like the fact that these studios are mentioned because of 1-2 games..

They are not in the top 50
What an abomination of a list is this? Christ.

Thats a weird list, mojang # 2 means it can't honestly be a best ever top 50 but then Valve at # 1 means it can't be a best of 2012 despite how good dota 2 is it's still in beta

Arkane in the top 10 with one unremarkable game under their belt? At least Mojang has had significant impact. Arkane just makes no sense.

And what the fuck is Riot games?

Veitsev

Arkane in the top 10 with just one pretty decent game under their belt? At least Mojang has had significant impact. But yeah, Arkane makes no sense.

And what the fuck is Riot games?

Riot Games is League of Legends. They have had a pretty big impact on gaming.

Top Bottom