• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #251 - UE4

Detox

ibs0xyWjqHXGA4.JPG

Reviews:
Dead Space 3: 7
Strike Suit Zero: 6
The Cave: 6
Persona 4 Golden: 9
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time: 7
Proteus: 8
Kentucky Route Zero: Act 1: 8
Antichamber: 6
Joe Danger Touch: 8
Hundreds: 7
Wave Trip: 7

In terms of pictures they haven't got much on UE4 apart from the mountain, fire demo, a helmet and Project Shield render. Early days of next-gen will include cross-gen games or use heavily modified versions of UE3. Sweeney doesn't know what a next-gen game with $100m budget will look like but he assures us that it will be insane. He talks about the resurgence of the mid-tier game due to digital downloads and says you'll no longer need $100m to make AAA games. He talks about tradeoffs in resolution and whether you use anti-aliasing versus pure graphical horsepower. They asked about multisampling and he said "it's complicated I'm afraid we don't have an answer I can give you." Eventually UE4 will support DX9 and 10, end of live streaming from optical media will end pop-in. They are abandoning UnrealScript and exposing the engine through C++ and for artists through the Kismet editor.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, it seems much more like something from...Gumball?

Lo-straordinario-mondo-di-Gumball.jpg

That's certainly not a Chao, compared to SA2's images.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would be a bit weird if the next issue isnt something PS4 though.

Detox

Early days of next-gen will include cross-gen games or use heavily modified versions of UE3. Sweeney doesn't know what a next-gen game with $100m budget will look like but he assures us that it will be insane. He talks about the resurgence of the mid-tier game due to digital downloads and says you'll no longer need $100m to make AAA games. He talks about tradeoffs in resolution and whether you use anti-aliasing versus pure graphical horsepower. They asked about multisampling and he said "it's complicated I'm afraid we don't have an answer I can give you." Eventually UE4 will support DX9 and 10, end of live streaming from optical media will end pop-in. They are abandoning UnrealScript and exposing the engine through C++ and for artists through the Kismet editor.

i-Lo

Early days of next-gen will include cross-gen games or use heavily modified versions of UE3. Sweeney doesn't know what a next-gen game with $100m budget will look like but he assures us that it will be insane. He talks about the resurgence of the mid-tier game due to digital downloads and says you'll no longer need $100m to make AAA games. He talks about tradeoffs in resolution and whether you use anti-aliasing versus pure graphical horsepower. They asked about multisampling and he said 'it's complicated I'm afraid we don't have an answer I can give you.' Eventually UE4 will support DX9 and 10, end of live streaming from optical media will end pop-in. They are abandoning UnrealScript and exposing the engine through C++ and for artists through the Kismet editor.

Interesting. Looks like the next gen compromises are already being mentioned upfront. Also good to know that AAA games' budgets can be scaled down due to easier development process.

Pertaining streaming, what exactly does "end of live streaming from optical media" entail? Does he mean that given both next gen consoles are likely to have HDD by default, it would include mandatory installation of games which will alleviate the "pop in" related issues? (this one is a big news).

Detox

What's the making of?

FFVI though it's fairly short two pages of text and two with images.

Interesting. Looks like the next gen compromises are already being mentioned upfront. Also good to know that AAA games' budgets can be scaled down due to easier development process.

Pertaining streaming, what exactly does "end of live streaming from optical media" entail? Does he mean that given both next gen consoles are likely to have HDD by default, it would include mandatory installation of games which will alleviate the "pop in" related issues? (this one is a big news).
I think he is hinting at that, "will die with the end of live streaming of game data from optical media" is all he says on the matter.

i-Lo

I think he is hinting at that, "will die with the end of live streaming of game data from optical media" is all he says on the matter.

The only logical explanation is streaming from HDD to eliminate the issue. Thanks for posting that quote btw.

Top Bottom