• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Nope, I think the folks who own the rights aren't willing to give them up.

Which, in some ways, is nice, since Criterion Blus are so expensive...and I'm sure a Barton Fink Blu will happen at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if there's an eventual Blu upgrade to that Coen Bros DVD box (the one that had Barton Fink, Fargo, Blood Simple, a couple of others) at some point.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well I'm glad they're using the new 4k transfer for Fargo, since the last blu was mediocre...but I don't get the lack of attention to Barton Fink. I guess it's Fox, not MGM, but feels like someone should step in there.

Ridley327

Shout! Factory has one hell of a summer release slate:

Our "Summer of Fear" release slate is now complete. Starting in May, the mayhem includes:

MAY
Final Exam
Evilspeak
Nosferatu
House in the Alley
Sleepaway Camp (Collector's Edition)

JUNE
Ravenous
The Monkey's Paw

JULY
The Final Terror
Lake Placid (Collector's Edition)
Deadly Eyes
Ginger Snaps (Collector's Edition)

AUGUST
Phantom of the Paradise (Collector's Edition)
Motel Hell (Collector's Edition)
Leviathan
The Legend of Hell House
Dog Soldiers (Collector's Edition)
Without Warning

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hellman's The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind two'fer coming along nicely:
https://www.facebook.com/monte.hellman said:
Spent the day working on the color correction on the Criterion blu ray of THE SHOOTING. Working from a scan of the original negative. What a revelation! Saw it side by side with the IP. At least twice the information. It's not possible for any print to be as good as a blu ray made from a 4K transfer. A DCP would be even better.

I will tell you now, you've never seen this movie before. I'VE never seen this movie before. Warren in one scene has tears in his eyes which were never visible in any print, video cassette or DVD. I'm only sad that Greg Sandor isn't here to see it. It's the way it looked when he shot it.

Hopefully Janus has the rights to Cockfighter, too?

http://www.wellesnet.com/?p=9422 said:
Complete ‘Around the World with Orson Welles’ coming to Blu-ray, DVD

The California-based B2MP Inc. will release all six episodes of Around the World with Orson Welles, which he wrote and directed for Britain's ITV channel in 1955. It will feature the once-lost Revisiting Vienna, which was uncovered in 2011 in the Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research in Madison. The Blu-ray/ DVD collection will also offer French filmmaker Christophe Cognet's 2000 documentary The Dominici Affair, which assembled footage from an unfinished seventh episode entitled The Tragedy of Lurs.

"All of the 35mm film elements have been transferred and color corrected," B2MP President Bruce Venezia told Wellesnet. "I am just beginning the process of removing the dirt and debris. This will actually release either sometime in the summer or fall. There is a lot of work that needs to be done."

Welles tackled Around the World with Orson Welles shortly after the filming of Mr. Arkadin. He was initially signed to produce 25 episodes. He took on the task while at the same time staging Moby Dick – Rehearsed.

The six completed episodes are:
Pays Basque I – October 7, 1955
Pays Basque II – October 21, 1955
Revisiting Vienna – November 4, 1955
St.-Germain-des-Prés – November 18, 1955
Chelsea Pensioners – December 2, 1955
Madrid Bullfight – December 16, 1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gopqGyRgKD8

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Since we mention non-Criterion releases in here, I'll mention this huge Werner Herzog collection that got announced. Lots of new material here, still not a complete filmography but close.

Wow amazing news on the Welles set!
The clips shown on the F for Fake DVD of all of his random projects were bittersweet as I was convinced I'd never be able to see any of them in full, can't wait for this.

swoon

26864.png
26863.png

couple of great films on twilight time just went on sale.

Ridley327

The July slate!

314_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

712_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

47_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

720_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

713_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Also, DVD-only versions of Picnic at Hanging Rock and Red River.

I'm surprised they're not doing The Brood at the same time as Scanners, which I'm going to interpret as stealth confirmation of a 70s Cronenberg set with Shivers and Rabid.

LET ME HAVE THIS DREAM, DAMN IT.

Shit you're quick, only three minutes ahead of the Criterion Forum grab.

Really excited for the Demy box, since TCM was showing a subpar DVD rip of Umbrellas of Cherbourg recently. Insomnia upgrade's great, as is Pickpocket, and my dad's probably going to pick up The Big Chill.

big ander

Oooh that Demy set looks tantalizing and I haven't even seen a Demy film. Been meaning to watch Umbrellas for years now, maybe I'll start with Lola though and go for the set if I love it. Plus the features are pretty stacked, the best of which look to be Varda shorts on Demy.

Wish it were possible to release a different Cronenberg. Scanners is just good, would rather see a Dead Ringers blu (though I don't think Criterion has the rights). Or, is The Brood still coming? Also wish there were at least a new commentary track from him. I like that Stereo is a special feature because I've been meaning to see it and Crimes of the Future, but I still don't know if that makes it worth it. Might be better to just finally track down the Fast Company special features disc that has both.

Is the original Insomnia any good?

I'm surprised they're not doing The Brood at the same time as Scanners, which I'm going to interpret as stealth confirmation of a 70s Cronenberg set with Shivers and Rabid.

LET ME HAVE THIS DREAM, DAMN IT.

Great, now I have this dream too

Shiv47

I already have the excellent French Blus of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Young Girls of Rochefort, but I'll gladly get this set for the other Demy films. The set looks excellent, packed with extras.

ngower

So excited for The Big Chill. I was pretty much raised on this movie. Arguably a movie that' influenced my tastes more than I even know it did.

Lola and Umbrellas are the only Demy films I've found value in, but I'm always willing to have that challenged. I'll buy the set.
It's a nice incentive to finally buy the Varda set too.

Haven't really kept up with the Criterion releases, but what's the transfer like on Fantastic Mr. Fox?

I've ordered Life Aquatic for May and was on the fence about picking up Fantastic Mr. Fox. I'll probably get a few more Wes Anderson flicks on blu later this year.

Thanks.

mattiewheels

They should make the American version an extra on a Vanishing blu, as a study on how not to do a remake.

StMeph

New to the thread, but I love some of the films that Criterion puts on disc. Some of the blu-rays are in comparatively cheap housing/presentation compared to DVDs, even while carrying the same price premium. Is there any reason for this?

Also, once something goes out of print, have they ever re-printed certain movies?

Shiv47

Also, once something goes out of print, have they ever re-printed certain movies?

If they get the rights back, I'm sure they would. I would imagine it's happened in the past, but I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Welp, end of the pre-Y Tu Mama Tambien era for Criterion!

Definitely getting the Almodovar and Fosse, since the edition of the latter we have at home's got a rather dark image.

Ahh man Love Streams!
Just need Husbands and I'm satisfied when it comes to Cassavetes and Criterion.
They've already sorted my out on the Godard front, now I just need more Hawks in the collection and I can never complain about them again.

Looks like the Blu of All That Heaven Allows is a must-have this summer sale. Near-perfect Technicolor restoration, great extras, and a good half-off discount. Yum.

Top Bottom