• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of Good Games Journalism

Empty

On GAF we see games journalism get a lot of flack, whether in moaning over the quality of writing in juvenile reviews, complaining about the regularity of top 10 lists, bitching about poor, lazy and sensationalist reporting or even just hitting out because our favourite exclusive didn't get the 9+ score we wanted. However this is not a thread for that stuff, and i'd appreciate it if the first five posts weren't 'good games journalism :lol :lol', as this thread is about sharing and appreciating the good stuff that's out there and i know there is some. In the thread titled 'The Boy Who Stole Half-Life 2' people seemed to praise the article and brought up related in depth articles by Geoff Keighly that were excellent and i hadn't seen before the thread, so it got me thinking about other good stuff out there as i do complain about games journalism because i'm genuinely interested in gaming and want to know more about some of the stories behind the great games. It doesn't necessarily have to be investigative stuff, it can be well thought out criticism too like in Jeremy Parish's Gamespite, or fascinating interviews like the New Yorker's one with Miyamoto, or in well produced radio looking at games culture like Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted, the criteria is really that is just has to be good.

Two explained examples of what i've liked to start off.

The Final Hours of Half-Life 2 by Geoff Keighly (Gamespot)

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html

I have no idea how he got such great access, but he did and it allowed him to talk to senior Valve people about the behind the scenes processes of following up the success of HL1, how some of the technology evolved as well as the game design, the development setbacks and all the trouble around that, right up to the studio feelings around the final release. Lots of good information from the horses mouths put together well into a single narrative that really gives you a good sense of the values of valve employees. If occasionally a little hyperbolically written, it more than makes up for it in content.

Learn to Let Go: How Success Killed Duke Nukem by Clive Thompson (Wired)

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/

Everyone knows the joke of Duke Nukem Forever's long development, though it's a joke with a new ending now. But this is the sad story behind that development, about how ambition and the results of success thrown on people not suited for management led to the demise of a promising game that people worked hard on. Could be much better if the Wired guy hadn't been denied access to key players as so much comes from unamed sources in the company, but still very interesting.

Rekubot

This is a really good idea for a thread, though I can't think of anything to contribute at the moment, aside from Gametrailers' excellent retrospectives (Star Wars, Zelda and Final Fantasy are must watches). I read the HL2 article a few hours ago and it was well worth the time it took to read it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember one good article about Hideo Kojima after the MGS2 trailer had been shown at E3 that described his emotions prior and after - I think it also delved into the development progress of MGS2 itself. For the life of me I wish I knew where it was.

Also whilst it's not brimming with technical expertise, Hardcore Gaming 101 has always been a good site to read through as well.

chautemoc

Neo Member
I liked the Duke article as well, though George Broussard (Duke creator) later stated on Twitter it was silliness and not actually accurate.

Nert said:
Most of Gamasutra, actually.

They do good work, the problem is a lot of it is very dry.

Gribbix

speedpop said:
I remember one good article about Hideo Kojima after the MGS2 trailer had been shown at E3 that described his emotions prior and after - I think it also delved into the development progress of MGS2 itself. For the life of me I wish I knew where it was.

Also whilst it's not brimming with technical expertise, Hardcore Gaming 101 has always been a good site to read through as well.
You're probably thinking of The Final Hours of Metal Gear Solid 2 (also by Geoff Keighley). Keighley did a whole series of these sorts of behind-the-scenes articles.

Empty said:
The Final Hours of Half-Life 2 by Geoff Keighly (Gamespot)

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html

I have no idea how he got such great access, but he did and it allowed him to talk to senior Valve people about the behind the scenes processes of following up the success of HL1, how some of the technology evolved as well as the game design, the development setbacks and all the trouble around that, right up to the studio feelings around the final release. Lots of good information from the horses mouths put together well into a single narrative that really gives you a good sense of the values of valve employees. If occasionally a little hyperbolically written, it more than makes up for it in content.
Here's the one he wrote for the original Half-Life.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Rekubot said:
This is a really good idea for a thread, though I can't think of anything to contribute at the moment, aside from Gametrailers' excellent retrospectives (Star Wars, Zelda and Final Fantasy are must watches).
I donnnnnn't think that's the kind of journalism the OP is seeking. really, that's just history that's repeating facts; not much actual insight.

Empty

another one i'd recommend is a BBC4 documentary called Tetris: From Russia with Love. Rare enough is it that games are treated seriously by mainstream tv, and this documentary is actually really good at showing the super complicated buisness dealings behind bringing such a well known game to market.

if you search by the title you can find it in parts on youtube and in full on google video, it's well worth watching.

a part in the big ideas episode of A Life Well Wasted also touches on this story a bit.

I'm a big fan of retrospective interviews with former giants of the industry. The current Game Informer has one with the founder of Atari, whom among other things discusses the major gaffe Atari-WB made which caused the collapse of the early 80s. Fascinating stuff.

Gaming has a lot of these characters, and a lot of events on which they can provide commentary. I wish the larger gaming websites would search these guys out more often.

[Nintex]

I'm not sure if it counts as 'gaming journalism' but the Iwata asks articles give some great insights about everything Nintendo. I also believe there's a great documentary on the web about the Dreamcast and the BBC documentary about Nintendo is great as well. Especially when the reporter tries to interview Yamauchi and can't find him. It discusses most of the rumors and she ends up at this huge closed front door of what looks like a palace. She eventually visits Arakawa despite Nintendo trying to 'stop' her by saying he has no interest blah blah and that interview gets quite awkward after a while.

Other articles worth looking up are the pieces that N-Sider wrote about Metroid Prime and Retro Studios. Some great interviews with senior staff who at that point had already left Retro. MundoRare went out with a bang as well covering the downfall of Sabreman Stampede but my guess is that after the avalanche of disgruntled Rare employees who put up all their work on the web as 'personal projects' they'll return to report on it...

ryan-ts

Behind The Games by Geoff Keighley has already been mentioned so there goes my contribution. I really like the Daikatana piece where a "fan" email states that John Romero would never develop games again.

Empty

John said:

heh. must have had the same thoughts based on that good eurogamer article as i'm not familiar with that forum.

Nert said:
Most of Gamasutra, actually.

yes, i agree. i enjoy their features, interviews and post mortems especially.

i was reminded of this recently as i saw ghaleonq post a link in a thread to this recent interview with alexander o smith which was excellent.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ons_On_The_Art_Of_Localizing_Tactics_Ogre.php

tim.mbp said:

ah, yes. i'd completly forgotten about that one, good stuff.

I'm so glad this thread exists.

I really liked Jason Schreier's article on the media psychiatrist who pulled the rape card on Bulletstorm. Well-researched and well-presented.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
Fernando Rocker said:
Anything but Kotaku...

Pretty much anything but the 'super gaming blogs' or whatever like kotaku, destructoid etc.

Although I find siliconera to be a fairly impartial source of information.

1-D_FTW

Shurs said:
Not that I'm doubting you, but give some links, man.

It's too difficult. He hasn't written in a couple years and I just don't want to dig for links that 1 or 2 people will actually click on.

Here's something I consider unique (but good):

http://alifewellwasted.com/

Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted podcast. Shame he abandoned it.

Empty

Danielsan

*Control+F Patrick Klepek*

Hmm I'm shocked. Didn't he break the Infinity Ward story? Patrick is one of the few game journalists who has actually been properly hunting down and reporting stories.

Suairyu

Banned
The work of Kieron Gillen, now in-house Marvel comics writer, is always a pleasure to read:

Journey Into The Cradle
A ten page deconstruction of a single level from Thief: Deadly Shadows. Spoilers, obviously.

The Girl Who Wanted To Be God
An incredible look at the character of Shodan from System Shock 2.

His review of Deus Ex
Try your very best to view this article as a product of its time - in retrospect, of course the way he talks about Deus Ex can seem a bit of overpraise and silly. The game hasn't aged well. But as an in-the-moment piece, this is quite delicious.

You can also delve into his "new game journalism" articles, but I hesitate to link them. I imagine most will dismiss it as pretentious tripe and not try to see what he was (is?) getting at.

But for your continued NGJ needs, check out near-enough everything on the site RockPaperShotgun. My personal favourites are Jim Rossignol's crazy Around The World In Eight Hours, where he tries to circumnavigate the entirety of Fuel's massive game world in one sitting and Alec Meer's A Fool In Morrowind series, where he revisited Morrowind post Oblivion and tried to RP his way through it, rather than gaming it. You'll find more than a few Gillen articles there, too.

Basically, there are some really fucking awesome British game journalists.

That Deus Ex article is incredible, but I totally disagree with the idea it's aged poorly. I played it for the first time just a few months ago, and I found everything in that article to be true. No world in all of entertainment/art has felt more real than Deus Ex and you never feel more powerful than in Deus Ex because of the massive amount of control you have and how brilliant the level design is.

Riposte

And here is another one I was able to find in my favorites. For clarity's sake, do say if this doesn't count. Any SEGA fan should be interested either way. It is the history of SEGA. My only real complaint is how little emphasis there is on arcades(but isn't that always the story?). If I recall right it doesn't even mention Daytona USA by name, the most successful arcade game ever. Still a lot of research and nuisance otherwise.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/974/974695p1.html

ALSO by Travis Fahs

EDIT: I am not Travis btw lol. I forgot these two were written by the same guy. Now I recall that a friend of Travis, who I knew by another messageboard, linked them to me on two separate occasions.

_Bro

Banned
I'm not sure how much of stuff technically qualifies as Journalism, I'm guessing "Games Journalism" is slightly different than the intent of newspaper journalism.

Anyways,

Rock Paper Shotgun's Butchering Pathologic piece was really awesome. I tried to play the game after reading that piece but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

Here is some interesting coverage of an event circa 2003 - Insert Credit LINKAGE. It's pretty awesome to see what's become of Activision, EA, and Sony after reading that little piece. Definitely a good read.

Top Bottom