• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancer cure found, no patent no care

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

Article here.

Since the method they are using can't be patented, the major pharmaceutical companies aren't interested in investing money into this since they can't make money off of it. At least that is what the article says. Hopefully with the collaboration between independent laboratories and universities they can get this thing tested, confirmed and all over the world to cure people. That's what I gather from the article.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

From Article said:
In human bodies there is a natural cancer fighting human cell, the mitochondria, but they need to be triggered to be effective.

lol

Assuming that this isn't another sensationalistic headline that's nothing close to the truth, then would it not be impossible for set up public donations to create a production facility?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are they sure it cures every cancer? And that this wouldn't kill a lot of normal cells in the process?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
phd042009s.gif

In human bodies there is a natural cancer fighting human cell, the mitochondria, but they need to be triggered to be effective.
haha oh wow

strictly speaking, the mitochondria isn't even a human cell but an external organism that wandered into the cells of the first eukaryotes (hence the dna is different)
also, i'm 99% sure mitochondria don't have anything to do with fighting cancer

numble

Hey I hear the car companies invented a car that runs on water, but the oil companies won't let them release it!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Smision said:
I think I saw this in Parasite Eve. If you trigger the mitochondria too much, the world burns! So this method must be really unsafe.
Are you sure it wasn't "Kill everything", because that is what it sounds like to me.

LProtag

The sad path that this "big pharmacy covers up everything!" thought process leads to is going into a book store and buying a book on how to cure cancer with water when you get cancer.

I don't even know why my store was allowed to sell it but I basically pleaded with this lady to not buy that book and to go see a doctor.

Achtius said:
Spontaneous human combustion kills cancer cells within the body.

so all we really need to do is find a way to bring people back to life and regenerate their bodies, and we'll have found a way around cancer.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Smision said:
4chan, if more undergrads got ahold of it.

ah, so unfair, but I have a love/hate relationship with reddit.

Reddit is better if you find some good subreddits.

Salsa

zazrx said:
Article here.

Since the method they are using can't be patented, the major pharmaceutical companies aren't interested in investing money into this since they can't make money off of it. At least that is what the article says. Hopefully with the collaboration between independent laboratories and universities they can get this thing tested, confirmed and all over the world to cure people. That's what I gather from the article.

1291117837369.jpg

News Bot

Banned

Mitochondria are always active, they produce ATP, an important source of cell energy. Badly written or poorly researched.

The part about pharmaceutical companies not picking it up because of lack of potential profit is no surprise, though.

From the article comments:

What the article means to say, is that the cells in question do not receive oxygen from the blood supply, so they cannot use the mitochondrial Electron Transport Chain (ETC) to produce ATP (energy). In an anaerobic environment, cells undergo fermentation to produce the bare minimum amount of ATP. This fermentation produces lactic acid (which incidentally causes the "burn" in strenuous exercise).

I think the topic poster has been hanging out at ATS.

But apparently this method has shown some promise, and they've been researching it for the past few years.

Here's some related more contemporary (and credible!) info: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

The American Cancer Society has this to say on the matter: "DCA has been tested in humans on a small scale for rare diseases of metabolism (energy production), but has recently shown some promise in the lab for cancer treatment. This has led some people with cancer to try taking DCA on their own. DCA is known to cause nerve and liver damage, as well as some other side effects. It may also be able to cause cancer in humans, but that has not been proven. At this time, clinical trials (studies on human volunteers) have just been started to find out if DCA might be helpful against cancer. No human studies have been completed yet, so it is unclear how or whether it might help, or what the proper dose might be."

markot

Banned
If it did cure cancer governments would be all over that, even if pharmaceuticals weren't.

Cancer treatment costs alot of money and curing cancer would be a big boon to most economies, its one of the leading causes of death in the first world.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
markot said:
If it did cure cancer governments would be all over that, even if pharmaceuticals weren't.

Cancer treatment costs alot of money and curing cancer would be a big boon to most economies, its one of the leading causes of death in the first world.

There is never going to be a magical "cure". How do you "cure" an abnormal growth? You can remove or eradicate it through treatment, but you can't "cure" cancer anymore than you can "cure" cysts.

Insurance companies would be the first to jump on this. Less people sick with cancer, the less they have to pay out for treatments. If they survive, those people, you would assume, would live longer and continue to pay for health insurance. You could argue that governments would want the opposite in order to maintain population control. Especially in the 3rd world.

Oh and lastly, "alot" is not a word in the English language.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
InsertNameHere said:
The sad path that this "big pharmacy covers up everything!" thought process leads to is going into a book store and buying a book on how to cure cancer with water when you get cancer.

I don't even know why my store was allowed to sell it but I basically pleaded with this lady to not buy that book and to go see a doctor.
No cure for Darwin's disease.

I don't have the power of a new thread making ability so this is most close.

Penn State researches have found a way to cure late stage cancer patients (yes humans) using genetically modified HIV cells (harmless).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/

The way it works

1. Take blood out of Leukemia patient

2. Insert genetically modified T cells into the blood sample

3. Put blood back into Leukemia Patient

4. After 2 weeks Patients got a very aggressive Flu

5. It was discovered the flu was the HIV cells fighting not only cancer cells which existed but new cells

6. It worked on all 3 of the tested patients. 2 have completely recovered and 1 is recovering.

At first I thought it this was a new thread with someone back to repost the same old, debunked story. Nice to see it's something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom