• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU games with Off TV Play

Drago

So, one of the WiiUs biggest features is the ability to play a given game just on the GamePad, allowing someone else to watch TV, play another video game system, etc. There does seem to be a lot of confusion as to just which games support this feature and since some in the other threads were asking for a comprehensive thread / list of all the games that do support it, I decided to compose a list to use as a reference of all games known to have this.

Unfortunately, all Wii software (disc games, WiiWare, Virtual Console) is incompatible with the feature.

• New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Dragon Quest X
  • Assassins Creed III
  • Darksiders II
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
  • Rabbids Land
  • Skylanders Giants
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Wii Fit U
  • Madden 13
  • FIFA 13
  • Rayman Legends (I assume)
  • Toki Tori 2 (downloadable)
  • Mighty Switch Force HD (downloadable)
  • Nano Assault Neo (downloadable)
  • Trine 2 Director's Cut (downloadable)
  • Puddle (downloadable)
  • Several built-in apps (Netflix, Internet, etc.)

Special thanks to the help of gaffers in the WiiU press thread and this GiantBomb list in helping me compose this list.

If I am missing anything at all, including 2013 titles confirmed to be compatible, feel free to tell me and I'll add it to the list. I'll try to keep this list constantly updated as more and more games come out with this feature. And I'm sorry for yet another WiiU thread in advance. ;)

What the hell

Currently, you can buy Wii versions of virtual console games on the Wii Shop Channel in backwards compatibility mode. Most are hoping that one day, Nintendo will release Wii U versions of virtual console games on the Wii U eShop, allowing for Virtual Console play on the gamepad.

It does suck we can't play Wii games on the gamepad, though, especially since they got our hopes up by including a sensor bar in the gamepad. lol

Mik_Pad

Banned
Great work OP, nice to see that a lot of games will be compatible, definetly one of the strongest features of Wii U.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Black OPs 2, Sonic Transformed, and AC3 are going to be godly in bed. I might even double dip on Arkham City when it hits below $20 just because of this feature.

Glass Joe

In seeing the Ninja Gaiden 3 reviews, I didn't see that mentioned. Just move lists for the gamepad. I may have overlooked it. If true, it's on my radar again, at least for a rental.

It does suck we can't play Wii games on the gamepad, though, especially since they got our hopes up by including a sensor bar in the gamepad. lol

The gamepad's sensor bar was never intended for this feature. Really, imagine putting the gamepad on a stand. Then picture taking a Wii remote and pointing at it. The reality of how awkward that would be on a 6.2" screen should set in.

Actually, at this point I think it'd be more beneficial to make a list of games that don't support off TV play. It's a pretty important feature of the console, and in a way, the list as is is similar to making a list of Wii games that use the Wii Nunchuck. lol

Hiltz

Trine 2, Puddle, and Dragon Quest X are also confirmed for off-tv play. I don't reckon Epic Mickey 2 is. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD is confirmed to not support off-tv play.

Malvingt2

Nintendo Land
Zombi U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD

There are definitely some more, but those are the ones I know for sure.

OP, you can add Fifa 13 to the list supporting it if you want: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-22-theres-good-and-bad-news-about-fifa-13-on-wii-u
I don't get that one. Capcom drop the ball in there

Pretty bummed about Zombi U not supporting it if BLOPS2 can do it
the Wiiupad is your backpack.. so yeah. both screens are need it, because it is in real time when you changed your items.

vareon

Those are pretty nice incentives for me to buy multiplatform games. If I'm a developer I'd rather make sure the game is playable off-play instead of adding tacky gamepad features. Menus are fine though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Trine 2, Puddle, and Dragon Quest X are also confirmed for off-tv play. I don't reckon Epic Mickey 2 is. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD is confirmed to not support off-tv play.

It does!
If you buy the 3DS version

Zombi U has several parts where you need to look at the GamePad and keep an eye on the screen though..

EDIT: I think 'downloadable' in the OP should be changed to 'downloadable only'.

iammeiam

I dunno, any game that can be played on the Gamepad screen is probably also a game that could be played entirely with the Pro controller, no pad required. Since ZombiU has the scanning stuff, and seems to be actually trying to validate the Wii U Gamepad as part of the gaming experience, having a pad-only mode wouldn't work as well.

Top Bottom