• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

icespide

Banned
got my spidey dock cover yesterday

oJEBkKX.jpg

I finally got my Orzly case, only took like a month. What they hell does Orzly ship with? I guess they send things by boat, lol.

Anyway, the case itself is nice. I like it a lot more than the PDP case I had before. The outside of the case is like a stiff rubber? I think there's hard plastic under it. The Switch itself fits in well, there's a little room for the unit to shift around, but not much at all. It's also one of the case with room for the back grooves.

Plenty of room in the upper compartment as well. I can fit my big battery pack and charger.

Overall pretty nice case for the price ($13). It's just shipping that's atrocious. Maybe they updated the story for fulfillment by Amazon... otherwise it's gonna take 1 month to get to you.

I'll report back once I've used it for a while.

//DEVIL//

I applied the amfilm glass protector and it did apply perfectly. However i have a very small lint( or whatever that thing is ) under the glass. Is there a chance for it to fuck up my screen or scratch it ? Its really not visible unless its under direct light. I dont want to raise the protector up a little because most likely i will fuck it up with hundreds of lints ot dust. Any thoughts ?

Thoraxes

I finally got my Orzly case, only took like a month. What they hell does Orzly ship with? I guess they send things by boat, lol.

Anyway, the case itself is nice. I like it a lot more than the PDP case I had before. The outside of the case is like a stiff rubber? I think there's hard plastic under it. The Switch itself fits in well, there's a little room for the unit to shift around, but not much at all. It's also one of the case with room for the back grooves.

Plenty of room in the upper compartment as well. I can fit my big battery pack and charger.

Overall pretty nice case for the price ($13). It's just shipping that's atrocious. Maybe they updated the story for fulfillment by Amazon... otherwise it's gonna take 1 month to get to you.

I'll report back once I've used it for a while.

Mine came today finally too, and I find it's a little bit more squishy on the outside than the Hyperkin I had, but overall I like it. Lots of room in that top pouch.

ParityBit

3rd time is a charm!

I just applied the amFilm (3rd try) and it went on flawlessly. The key? canned air! I had to pull off the 2nd attempt from earlier in the week too.

1. Turned on shower
  2. Removed attempt 2 of glass
  3. Setup 3rd glass using the hinge tape
  4. wet wiped the Switch glass
  5. Dried using the cloth (not the packet dry wipe)
  6. Pulled off the inside film while holding it up
  7. Sprayed can air across the Switch
  8. Drop
  9. Watched the glass attach and took a few swipes to get the edge bubbles
  10. Celebrate

So even with tempered glass protectors, folks are also using dock socks? I mean they have some cool decorative socks but I dont see the need for one except for their looks.

Felensis

Banned
I got my dock cover from Etsy recently and so far I'm loving it from the looks of it, but after the recent reports of bent Switch consoles (even though I don't believe those bents could happen due to the Switch's temp...) I'm not sure if it's save to use a dock cover in terms of heat?

Also because of the cover's texture thickness putting my Switch into the dock with the cover applied felt really tight and a bit of pressure was necessary to actually dock the console. Meanwhile the dock cover got a bit thinner due to docking/undocking process and now it's easier to push the Switch in, but still a bit of additional pressure is required to dock the Switch.

Don't know if this will produce some scratches on the backside which would be contrary to the purpose of the dock cover. The Switch already has a few scratches on the display protection as well as on it's back just from docking/undocking (without the dock cover) even though I'm docking the console super careful and slowly. On the bottom of the Switch, but especially where the nut is, the plastic grinds off due to the docking/undocking. I suppose with the dock cover applied this only will get worse... Yet I really love the look of the dock with the cover applied and how well it compliments with the neon colors of my Switch *_*

Thoughts?

img_0495oszcr.jpg

superstu64

Neo Member

That is awesome!

As for the heat, not sure, it's a fair point though as the console does kick out a fair bit of heat especially with Zelda, I reckon it would be ok though.

I was lucky enough to be in Tokyo when the console came out and got one of these sexy Hori cases -

14eswgd.jpg

LGbpuqD.jpg

It's not going to protect it from a drop but it looks awesome!

Felensis

Banned
The Hori case is indeed one damn sexy thing!
Meanwhile I did some tests regarding the heat with and without the dock sock. Unfortunately I've discovered that the Switch indeed seems to heat up more with the dock sock applied than without it.

During several long hour Zelda sessions with the dock sock I've started to notice that the fan runs at max speed while getting very noisy. I could even hear it even though I play with a 5.1 surround setup with volume cranked up a bit.

I've tested this again without the dock sock applied and while the fan starts to run from time to time it is much less noisy until it gets barely noticeable compared to when the dock sock was applied.

Korezo

I don't recommend the amFilm screen protector, unless the competition glass protectors also do not cover the entire screen and adds enough thickness that it makes fitting the switch in the dock a problem. I really don't know why these are even being recommended unless for excellent customer service, do all glass protectors not cover the entire screen? The regular Hori I used on my Vita doesn't even look like it has anything on it. I should of done my research.

Falchion

What are the cases that you all are using? I'd was looking at a few hardshell ones that will allow me to just throw it in my backpack and not have to worry about any of the other contents putting pressure on the sticks or screen. I'd love if one had some storage space for games or even my portable charger.

I don't recommend the amFilm screen protector, unless the competition glass protectors also do not cover the entire screen and adds enough thickness that it makes fitting the switch in the dock a problem. I really don't know why these are even being recommended unless for excellent customer service, do all glass protectors not cover the entire screen? The regular Hori I used on my Vita doesn't even look like it has anything on it. I should of done my research.

Your dock must be bent because the only reason it'd have a problem after applying it is because of that.
Also it covers the entire bezel and leaves the sensors and ports open... I mean I don't know what else you expected?

Can I get a roll call for anyone who applied the amFilm glass screen protector and had it on for OVER A WEEK? Any issues since installation?

I'm finally going to start hunting down a Switch tomorrow, but wanted to place an order tonight for things like screen protectors since I don't want to unwrap the Switch without one.

Thanks.

sphagnum

Banned
Can I get a roll call for anyone who applied the amFilm glass screen protector and had it on for OVER A WEEK? Any issues since installation?

I'm finally going to start hunting down a Switch tomorrow, but wanted to place an order tonight for things like screen protectors since I don't want to unwrap the Switch without one.

Thanks.

I've been using it since a week after launch and have had no problems.

Persona7

Banned
Glass protectors are god damn pain to remove. If you use your fingernail or cardboard to lift it you risk scratching the screen.

Thanks.

I have had mine applied for two weeks now and no problems. Although I don't dock my Switch ever and primarily use it as a handheld. The one time I did, I had no issues with it being too thick sliding in and out of dock.

thatJohann

I wanna give a shout out to this case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ6YBLV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Im no fan of thick zipper cases or hard cases i find them unattractive and bulky.
I prefer simple slim sleeves that are the precise handheld measurements.
If you were a fan of the vitas OG sleeve this is exactly that but for the switch.

Its dirt cheap and prime eligible and in 2 color options to match your joycons.

That does look nice. Do you feel confident throwing your Switch in a bigger bag while it's on that?

Nesther

Amfilm glass protectors arrived today. Used the warm shower trick and followed their video by placing the switch on a wooden stool in the bathroom. Perfect application on my first try! Highly recommend this product. Didn't even need those dust removers.

Edit: My Switch feels like it got a premium upgrade, the glass is so smooth and good looking.

TAS

I had my glass screen protector installed by Toronto Repair. When I brought in my Orzly screen, he said return it and get your money back lol. He installed the Spigen one and it looks and feels amazing. He says the Spigen one is much better quality. I trust his opinion because this guy seriously knows his stuff.

Oh, the amFilm one is now available on Amazon Canada... Interesting. I don't suppose anyone has experience with both amFilm and Orzly to compare them?

I had my glass screen protector installed by Toronto Repair. When I brought in my Orzly screen, he said return it and get your money back lol. He installed the Spigen one and it looks and feels amazing. He says the Spigen one is much better quality. I trust his opinion because this guy seriously knows his stuff.

...And a new challenger appears. What's so superior about Spigen?

Unicorn

Thanks.

about 2 weeks with it. there's one small scratch in the very bottom right corner from the dock - just been setting it in gently. Had a few days without a screen-protector and got the smudging that originated the scare - that's locked under the screen protecter as the wipes didn't seem to get rid of it. I have one singular speck of dust under the protector, but it's been fantastic. Has a nice slick feel that would make touch-centric games and interfaces easier than stock plastic screen, IMO. But yeah, the tiny scratch is some shit. I have just stuck to tabletop or handheld mode since. WTF dock?!

Persona7

Banned
Spigen glass is pretty good. I have it on my phone, ipod and I installed one on my friends switch. I opted to not use glass on my switch because I don't want to scratch the screen with my fingernail if I ever have to remove it. I like the plastic hori protectors because simple tape can remove them without issue.

Kaibutsu

My Switch Smart Cover just shipped from Play-Asia. Totally forgot that I preordered it...
61JkYUeaPsL._SL1000_.jpg

61emi%2BVWX0L._SL1000_.jpg

51r0cwMVTjL._SL1000_.jpg

61I9zl1iefL._SL1000_.jpg

I just wish it was thin enough that I would be able to slid it in the dock with it covering the screen but I guess you can't have everything

Oresama

I wanna give a shout out to this case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ6YBLV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Im no fan of thick zipper cases or hard cases i find them unattractive and bulky.
I prefer simple slim sleeves that are the precise handheld measurements.
If you were a fan of the vitas OG sleeve this is exactly that but for the switch.

Its dirt cheap and prime eligible and in 2 color options to match your joycons.

This is perfect for tossing the switch into a backpack.

Thanks for the link.

linnu5

I've just received my Orzly screen protector and it was really easy to apply it. It was the first time that I was successful at applying a screen protector, usually I just take my electronics to a shop to do it. The quality is amazing, I'm really impressed. The screen looks even better now.

Now I'm trying to decide which case to buy. I really love the look of the CitySlicker, even put it on my cart, but I just can't buy and use/carry around a piece of leather. I wish there was an alternative to that.

I'm now torn between the Butterfox and the RDS.

And why all those cases are black? C'mon I want colorful and gayer options.

I began with the hinge-method but the stickers wouldn't stay in place, which was stressful and frustrated me to no end, and they would stick to the Switch's screen and leave some adhesive which was a pain to get rid off, so instead I just went with applying the screen protector from above and hoped for the best...

QhO4Q8U.jpg

Weevilone

I began with the hinge-method but the stickers wouldn't stay in place, which was stressful and frustrated me to no end, and they would stick to the Switch's screen and leave some adhesive which was a pain to get rid off, so instead I just went with applying the screen protector from above and hoped for the best...

I used the blue painters tape for a hinge and it was perfect.

Does anyone have this Hori case? If so, what do you think? I'm between that and the RDS to haul everything around.

All%20in%20One%20Bag-500x500.jpeg

Is that thing insulated? Looks like it would make a good lunch box.

Been using the Orzly tempered glass protector for a while now and it's still held up. Glad I went with it. The extra snugness it gives the console in the dock is actually pretty nice too (now that I know it's not hurting anything).

I just wish there wasn't those 3 specks of dust underneath my protector...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Been using the Orzly tempered glass protector for a while now and it's still held up. Glad I went with it. The extra snugness it gives the console in the dock is actually pretty nice too (now that I know it's not hurting anything).

I just wish there wasn't those 3 specks of dust underneath my protector...

Are they easy to put on? I bought them today along with the Orzly case. I can never get them on without air bubbles and trapped dust.

Iced

Are they easy to put on? I bought them today along with the Orzly case. I can never get them on without air bubbles and trapped dust.

Easy to put on. I used the included stickers and applied them to the left and right sides of the screen (not the adhesive side, obviously), and then I was able to just drop it on. I've read lots of people doing the hinge method but this seemed just as easy to me. Run your shower on hot for ten minutes with the door closed and then apply the protector in the bathroom. Less chance of dust landing on the screen before you put the protector on.

Also, if you do happen to have any bubbles when it's applied, wait a couple of days and see if it goes away. Sometimes what looks like a speck of dust is actually just a really tiny air bubble. If you get impatient you can get a credit card and push the bubbles out. I had a stubborn one that I had to get really aggressive with, but it eventually came out and the screen didn't scratch.

It's easy if you use the hinge method. I tried my first one just by eyeing it up and it went on nicely but was a little crooked. Hinge method got it on perfectly. The poster above me's tactic seems like it would work too!

The nice thing about Orzly protectors (and some other tempered glass protectors that I've used) is that they really just seem to effortlessly glide onto the screen without leaving many (if any) air bubbles. Really easy process.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Easy to put on. I used the included stickers and applied them to the left and right sides of the screen (not the adhesive side, obviously), and then I was able to just drop it on. I've read lots of people doing the hinge method but this seemed just as easy to me. Run your shower on hot for ten minutes with the door closed and then apply the protector in the bathroom. Less chance of dust landing on the screen before you put the protector on.

Also, if you do happen to have any bubbles when it's applied, wait a couple of days and see if it goes away. Sometimes what looks like a speck of dust is actually just a really tiny air bubble. If you get impatient you can get a credit card and push the bubbles out. I had a stubborn one that I had to get really aggressive with, but it eventually came out and the screen didn't scratch.

It's easy if you use the hinge method. I tried my first one just by eyeing it up and it went on nicely but was a little crooked. Hinge method got it on perfectly. The poster above me's tactic seems like it would work too!

The nice thing about Orzly protectors (and some other tempered glass protectors that I've used) is that they really just seem to effortlessly glide onto the screen without leaving many (if any) air bubbles. Really easy process.

what is the hinge method? is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3byIjQ5tQ&t

reading reviews it says not to use the dust stickers but i am thinking people are using the stickers to remove dust from the screen but they are meant to just hold the protector in place while it sticks to the screen, right?

JohngPR

What's the turnaround time on the Cityslicker cases? I ordered it on the 13th and got a confirmation email but haven't heard anything since.

Top Bottom