• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS can use 128GB SDXC cards

Drago

From Go Nintendo

GltZD.jpg

The card has to be reformatted to FAT32 in order to work.

Thought this was interesting since Nintendo said only cards up to 32GB would work, though I highly doubt anyone would ever fill up all 128 gigs :p

From Go Nintendo

The card has to be reformatted to FAT32 in order to work.

Thought this was interesting since Nintendo said only cards up to 32GB would work, though I highly doubt anyone would ever fill up all 128 gigs :p

Wow. I might be buying most of my games from the eStore, then.

Ridley327

I believe NSMB on DS was less than 50MB so that's probably far from the average 3DS game, lol.

There's smaller games that Nintendo have put out, believe it or not. I think Pilotwings is only about 100 MB.

I was actually a little surprised to see NSMB2 being as big as it was, given how few unique assets exist and the terrible, terrible MIDI.

RedSwirl

Hopefully the Wii U supports them without needing the FAT32 format. That'd be a great solution if you don't wanna have the system stuck next to an external HDD for its whole life.

Vitacat

I bet 128gb SDXC cards cost less than the vita cards.

Yeah, just might...? I paid $80 for 32GB on Amazon.

Still lovin' my Vita, but the memory card prices are painful. Plus, we're limited to 32GB maximum right now. Can't blame Sony for wanting to protect itself from hacking after what happened with PSP, but yeah, Vita memory is expensive as hell.

So the system that has relatively small games and less DLC = unlimited memory from 3rd party vendor of your choice, and the system with larger games, a bigger DD back catalog, and presumably more DLC = overpriced one-brand-only region locked memory solution?

Notlikethis.gif

Zee-Row

Banned
I own a Vita and a 3DS and I buy way more Digital stuff on Vita , yet it has the shittiest card sizes for shitty prices. I hope Sony knows that this seriously hinders me buying new shit!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Even at the end of the 3DS's lifespan, I doubt I would own enough digital games to fill one. And in the case that I could, there would be no reason to have every single game installed at once anyway.

I'll probably go with a 32 or 64 GB card whenever I upgrade.

Cartman86

Banned

Still lovin' my Vita, but the memory card prices are painful. Plus, we're limited to 32GB maximum right now. Can't blame Sony for wanting to protect itself from hacking after what happened with PSP, but yeah, Vita memory is expensive as hell.

I blame em.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Someone in the 3DS threads once said this would be impossible.
I never believed them.

Glad to see it's there if we need it.
I feel a 32GB card should last me the lifetime of the system though with just eShop and VC purchases. (not retail DD releases)

Jackano

Transfering a full SD like this over two different models of 3DS could takes days... weeks! And with fat purples pikmins only!

Could it be possible Nintendo extended the limit in a stealth update to strengthen their DD plan? They surely must be doing something to strengthen the DD plan, because it sure ain't the pricing.

Sintoid

Transfering a full SD like this over two different models of 3DS could takes days... weeks! And with fat purples pikmins only!

But wait... you have to transfer all the content? Don't you have only to transfer ID or something like that???

Insaniac

I said dayum. Unless Nintendo releases every further 1st party 3ds game on eshop in additional to retail, there is no need for that much space.

rpmurphy

I said dayum. Unless Nintendo releases every further 1st party 3ds game on eshop in additional to retail, there is no need for that much space.
You could film a lot of 3D videos with that lol. It's too bad the music app is pretty bad at indexing the file system, because otherwise that would be a good use for it too.

Ridley327

Well, third parties have been the ones to utilize the 4 GB cards thus far; if they can get them on-board in the future, we'll definitely start to see bigger and bigger games offered.

If the day comes that the 8 GB cards get used for retail, then having 128 gigs available may not be such a bad idea.

mug

Umm it actually sold well? Giving it a gimp card at a high price is absurd.

NeoRausch

OH!

OHOHOHO!

but i don't need 128 gigs......still....i....want....it....!

help!

ah whatever, gonna buy a bigger card anyway. maaaybe nintendo can be bothered to start their account system and bring games for cheaper to DD? pretty please?

What? To transfer stuff to another SD card all you need to do is copy all the folders on the old SD card to your computer and put it on the new sd card.

Top Bottom