• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Teases January Cover(Dec 6th Reveal-A Survivor is Born) Tomb Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

Saw this in my latest GI that came in today and did some hunting.

15dor5t.jpg

Possible site connected to it;

http://asurvivorisborn.com/

Start your guesses. 2 year anniversary cover for Uncharted 2 so perhaps.

I also saw this mentioned on another forum;

... and the Google Analytics account number, less the last two digits, matches a number of Eidos/Squenix sites -- K&L2, Mini Ninjas, Deus Ex, the new Lara Croft, Just Cause, etc. So it's Eidos/Squenix, not Valve.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I remember seeing concept art and stuff awhile back for a Tomb Raider reboot with Lara being 'cast away' on an island or something. That would kinda make sense with the whole survivor thing, but it's just a guess.

Maybe it's just me, but with Sony's dope 2011 line up, it seems WAY too early for Uncharted 3.

FoneBone

It's the new Tomb Raider.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59517
When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limited and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

Hunt or be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive the visceral one-on-one melee combat.
Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.
Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump. There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
One Cohesive World: the diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
Origin Story: This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origin of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

FrankT

Snuggler said:
I remember seeing concept art and stuff awhile back for a Tomb Raider reboot with Lara being 'cast away' on an island or something. That would kinda make sense with the whole survivor thing, but it's just a guess.

Maybe it's just me, but with Sony's dope 2011 line up, it seems WAY too early for Uncharted 3.

Seems as if I've read a rumor of such as well.

FoneBone said:

Ah! Well I'm ready for a new TR and this concept art has me intrigued. Hope it blows me away like LCGOL.

GWX

New Tomb Raider, eh? Well, I hope the camera system is good this time around.

I wonder if they'll make another Lara Croft game...

How many Lara Croft games are there in total? How many times have they 'delved' into her past? And do people really care about the changes she goes through...almost every single game?

I don't even know which games 'count' and which don't. The dev for each Tomb Raider game always seemingly wants to take the franchise in a new direction with a new Lara...

Snuggler said:

Nah, doesn't fall still have a few holes? R3/K3/U3/LG/Twisted Metal/Socom/LBP2/Infamous 2/FF14/DCO...

SHIT. Murderer's Row.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater: Underworld was a good direction, just in desperate need of camera work.

Although, Guardian of Light was the best direction of all. :lol

I hope it's still very puzzle-and-exploration based

Hixx

zero margin said:
another fuckin tomb raider?

The last 2 or 3 (incl. GoL) have all been pretty decent imo. Quite happy to see a new one with a seemingly new take on the series.

Amir0x

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Look, if it's not like Guardian of Light, then who gives a crap?

I do. I like the Tomb Raider concept, i really do. Very very few games actually recreate that feeling of mysterious indiana jones exploration that the TR games do (when they're done well), and I honestly think the team they got on it is consistently moving in the right direction with gameplay.

Just needed camera fixes on Underworld,.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boombloxer said:
Nah, doesn't fall still have a few holes? R3/K3/U3/LG/Twisted Metal/Socom/LBP2/Infamous 2/FF14/DCO...

SHIT. Murderer's Row.

you're forgetting the best one, you monster

~MOTORSTORM 3~

anyways, the rumors about the Tomb Raider reboot sounded very promising, t'was sort of a survival horror/exploration type of game if I remember correctly. I've never played the series but I would definitely be down with something like that set on a mysterious island.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Excellent. I could do with more TR, so long as they are attempting to make it playable with a decent flow instead of some kind of weird magnet game where you try to attach Lara to various surfaces. I swear, Underworld was one of the worst controlling games I've played in quite some time, and to make it worse, the animations just didn't make anything seem like it would even physically work.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Amir0x said:
I do. I like the Tomb Raider concept, i really do. Very very few games actually recreate that feeling of mysterious indiana jones exploration that the TR games do (when they're done well), and I honestly think the team they got on it is consistently moving in the right direction with gameplay.

Just needed camera fixes on Underworld,.

Uncharted fills that niche better than Tomb Raider ever did, IMO. Tomb Raider 2 was the last one I enjoyed at all before GoL. That game nailed the Tomb Raider vibe so expertly, I just can't really get excited about another "regular" Tomb Raider game.

HixxSAFC said:
The last 2 or 3 (incl. GoL) have all been pretty decent imo. Quite happy to see a new one with a seemingly new take on the series.

But don't they always say that...every single release?

Peff

It's been two years since Underworld which was a rushed but good game, so yeah, I'm excited. I just hope the new direction doesn't clash too much with the platforming and puzzles. A relatively small, well thought-out hub with some separate, more linear levels like the tombs in AC2 would be great.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind Tomb Raider... I'm just sick of Lara Croft. Such an awful, highly exploited, over-exposed character. Ohh look, she's strong, sassy and has huge tits. I'm not 12 anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Uncharted fills that niche better than Tomb Raider ever did, IMO. Tomb Raider 2 was the last one I enjoyed at all before GoL. That game nailed the Tomb Raider vibe so expertly, I just can't really get excited about another "regular" Tomb Raider game.

Totally disagree with the strongest emphasis possible. Uncharted is an ENTIRELY different game than Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider at its best is a much slower, methodical exploration game, with heavy emphasis on puzzles and platforming challenges (WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY FUCKING DIE).

Uncharted is the other extreme - bright, sarcastic humour, impossibly easy platforming, very little in the way of puzzles or even exploration. Things work very linearly.

I like Uncharted 2, but they are so different it's a little ridiculous to say it is filling the niche.

Additionally, this new Tomb Raider concept is so explicitly different from every other Tomb Raider game to date that it's a bit ridiculous to call it a "regular" Tomb Raider game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Woohoo, I'm so glad they are following up with that concept. It sounds amazing. Let's hope they find a way to top St. Francis' Folly, the Tomb Raider gold standard.

Fuck the haters, there are no other series that scratch the same itch as Tomb Raider and I'm always ready for more.

When will idiots stop claiming that a 3rd person shooter has replaced the need for this type of platformer. DIFFERENT FUCKING GENRES.

Curufinwe

WanderingWind said:

Uncharted has a very different vibe than the TR vibe Amir0x so accurately described.

I love Uncharted 2 and Tomb Raider Anniversary, but they are actually very different games.

Amir0x

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Woohoo, I'm so glad they are following up with that concept. It sounds amazing. Let's hope they find a way to top St. Francis' Folly, the Tomb Raider gold standard.

Fuck the haters, there are no other series that scratch the same itch as Tomb Raider and I'm always ready for more.

yeah Tomb Raider's niche is actually incredibly unique, despite objections to the contrary. I don't get this same experience from virtually any other game on the market.

Painraze said:
I don't mind Tomb Raider... I'm just sick of Lara Croft. Such an awful, highly exploited, over-exposed character. Ohh look, she's strong, sassy and has huge tits. I'm not 12 anymore.

So what do you want them to do? Replace her with a guy?

Hey, glad you guys are stoked don't get me wrong just seems like these come out often. Once a year basically right, like madden this franchise is. Unlike that series these are getting better every year it seems.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
So what do you want them to do? Replace her with a guy?

Guy, girl, multiple characters... something different. I'd like the story to revolve more around raiding tombs than why Ms. Croft is such a skilled, sexy kung fu adventure goddess.

Peff

Painraze said:
Guy, girl, multiple characters... something different. I'd like the story to revolve more around raiding tombs than why Ms. Croft is such a skilled, sexy kung fu adventure goddess.

That may be true of Legend, but ever since fans almost ate the devs alive for that very reason she barely even talks anymore.

ksimm

Bahhh I was hoping for a scientist with a beard, glasses and a crowbar. Replace that cover with an icebreaking Borealis and I will be happy.

'A Survivor is Born Again'

What, I can dream...

Amir0x

Banned
NightBlade88 said:
The Last Tomb Raider game I felt like they didn't charge enough for how good it was. Why don't you like my monies! :(

Seriously i would have paid $40 easily for Lara Croft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom