• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Next /Xbox 720 / Durango Patent?

jaypah

This is a great time for MS to try this. And if they fuck it all up somehow I'll still own 3 other platforms to fall back on. So yeah, throw some touch screens in the controllers, sell me some crazy 3D cameras, hook me up with some AR glasses that have the game world spilling out of my TV, allow me to stream my home games on the go. If it all goes up in smoke and MS, Ninty AND Sony somehow manage, against all odds, to fuck everything all the way up...i'll just fire up a badass PC and game. Enough talk and speculation, I want these consoles now! At least Nintendo is giving me something to play with this year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its an interesting approach for sure, but I'm not certain how the "one-box-to-rule-them-all" philosophy squares with marketing/messaging and most of all the heavy imperative to price competitively.

Sony tried this with PS3 and they got murdered by the focussed angles that MS and Nintendo took combined with clear price-point advantages.

Its certainly (as several people have pointed-out) an extremely US-centric approach, which could leave them exposed to more globalized competition.

If anything is going to hurt them in my estimation its their continued focus on Kinect. They should be de-prioritizing it in my opinion because its simply not something that everybody is going to want, and as such is wasteful added-expense to pack in.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
A Patent!= a product.

Sure elements of various patents may show up in a product in some form or another, but don't read patents and think a company is disclosing their business strategy.

onQ123

Its an interesting approach for sure, but I'm not certain how the "one-box-to-rule-them-all" philosophy squares with marketing/messaging and most of all the heavy imperative to price competitively.

Sony tried this with PS3 and they got murdered by the focussed angles that MS and Nintendo took combined with clear price-point advantages.

Its certainly (as several people have pointed-out) an extremely US-centric approach, which could leave them exposed to more globalized competition.

If anything is going to hurt them in my estimation its their continued focus on Kinect. They should be de-prioritizing it in my opinion because its simply not something that everybody is going to want, and as such is wasteful added-expense to pack in.

Kinect is what they needed to pull this off & if they can turn your TV into a big iPad that you don't have to get up & touch XBOX Next is going to be the it product of the Next Generation.

shandy706

I remember the dual CPU setup leak/rumor from months ago.

I don't understand the surprise/confusion here...

In fact I had pretty much assumed that Microsoft's next system would have a dual CPU setup. A single tri-core setup for apps and 360 backwards compatibility, and then a 6-8 core setup for "next-gen" games.

It's possible the system would be able to switch between the CPU's for background work and gaming.

What I'm not sure of is if there will be a THIRD "arm" cpu outside of the main system and BC CPU's or if the BC CPU and main system CPU's would simply alternate the load depending on if you're playing a 720 or 360 game.

Tons to find out still, but I honestly am surprised by the people on this forum that don't know about or expect at least a dual CPU setup.

I also want to know if the possible dual (low clock) GPU setup will happen, or if it will end up being a single GPU in the final product.

People are seriously that worried a out Xbox Next's graphics? I'm sure they will be fine, even if they are only 6x 360. We've already hit diminishing returns anyway, so I am looking forward to see how this approach works out for MS. They just have to remember to keep making good games, along with whatever else they do.

People are seriously that worried a out Xbox Next's graphics? I'm sure they will be fine, even if they are only 6x 360. We've already hit diminishing returns anyway, so I am looking forward to see how this approach works out for MS. They just have to remember to keep making good games, along with whatever else they do.

Hmm, so the Ign rumor has come full circle?

Having two CPU's is a pretty smart move from MS if they plan on having the nextbox as a media center in every home. Imagine recording 1080p television from one source while playing a game on one CPU - wouldn't work so well. Having two will enable this without impacting either of the processes.

onQ123

http://www.alternatiff.com/

There is:
"Download 32-bit version: alternatiff-pl-w32-2.0.4.exe - For 32-bit browsers on any version of Windows. "

Download that. Install it. Restart Firefox. Then go to...

http://www.us-patent-search.com/test.shtml

Click "register Tiff viewer"... follow directions.

Go to the page in question.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...ND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo&OS=nintendo&RS=nintendo

Then click "images" it's a button at the top of the page.

Thanks I have all the images & will be converting them to jpg & uploading them when I get back if no one else has. what's a good image site to upload them at full size? that's not banned on Neogaf?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'll laugh if this was all leaked on purpose to throw everyone for a loop.

edit:..Seriously there's still people using anything but Chrome for a web browser, sucks to be you people.

[0011] FIG. 1 illustrates an example embodiment of a target recognition, analysis, and tracking system with users participating in a game.
WTNXw.png

[0012] FIG. 2 illustrates an example embodiment of a console computing system communicatively coupled with a capture device.
jDFh6.png

[0013] FIG. 3A is a block diagram of an embodiment of a multimedia computer system architecture providing QoS multimedia guarantees with scalable platform services.
qzfSg.png

[0014] FIG. 3B is a block diagram of another embodiment of a multimedia computer system architecture like that of FIG. 3A with an additional shared CPU and GPU.
FCBLm.png

[0015] FIG. 3C is a flowchart of an embodiment of a method for changing the operation mode of at least one processing unit between a multimedia mode and a general purpose computing mode.

[0016] FIG. 4 illustrates another example embodiment of a multimedia computing system such as may be embodied in a console.
GMmLq.png

[0017] FIG. 5A is a block diagram of an embodiment of a multimedia computer system architecture providing QoS multimedia guarantees with scalable platform services.
7E0xN.png

[0018] FIG. 5B is a block diagram of another version of the embodiment of a multimedia computer system architecture providing QoS multimedia guarantees of FIG. 5A.
TINYz.png

[0019] FIG. 6 is a flowchart describing one embodiment of a method for allocating a computing resource between the multimedia application and a platform service application based on one or more quality of service (QoS) guarantees for the multimedia application.
iPr19.png

[0020] FIG. 7 is a flowchart describing one embodiment of a process implementing priority as a QoS guarantee processing technique for a latency guarantee.
PnhGQ.png

[0021] FIG. 8 is a flowchart illustrating an example of a QoS guarantee method for processing a memory request based on criteria for providing consistent real-time performance.
UYRnB.png

Bam.

...wait...are some images not showing?

God I wish people would stop saying this shit.

FoxRomeo

Banned
After seeing what MS did with Surface, they better knock our sox off with Durango since Xbox is now a cash cow.

Also it looks like wireless will be another add-on which is a good idea for two reasons:

1. Not everyone needs it and the price needs to stay down.

2. We're in between a new wireless standard (802.11ac which offers 1 GHz of wireless throughput). When the X360 came out wireless n wasn't ratified and with the dongle and if you wanted to take advantage of your wireless n router, you would have to buy an add-on anyways.

With all the multimedia functions in this device, not having Wifi AC as an option would be a travesty.

Proelite

Someone can branch off possible specs from this images?

The app CPU and GPU will be equivalent to top of the line tablets of next year if they're going to spin them out for other hardware.

Then you also have to add in Kinect 2.0 costs.

And increased motherboard complexity.

Doesn't bode well for the platform CPU and GPU, but bodes well for the ram.

This machine will be expensive to make, but not necessarily powerful.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
onQ123 said:
Kinect is what they needed to pull this off & if they can turn your TV into a big iPad that you don't have to get up & touch XBOX Next is going to be the it product of the Next Generation.

Sorry, I just dont see the "big iPad" idea as being remotely valid. Waving/talking at thin air is not the same as interacting with a handheld slate device because one of those things is natural and intuitive, and the other is the exact opposite.

As to the whole DVR aspect, I just don't think that has all that much cachet given the amount of TV-on-demand services out there now. Streaming is a simpler, better, solution.

FoxRomeo

Banned
For some people who complain about a system being "only X times more powerful" should simmer down. X times more powerful in what respect? TFLOPS? Billions of triangles? Clock speed? Stream processor count? Memory?

You seriously don't know whether you should be disappointed or impressed.

mocoworm

After seeing what MS did with Surface, they better knock our sox off with Durango since Xbox is now a cash cow.

Also it looks like wireless will be another add-on which is a good idea for two reasons:

1. Not everyone needs it and the price needs to stay down.

2. We're in between a new wireless standard (802.11ac which offers 1 GHz of wireless throughput). When the X360 came out wireless n wasn't ratified and with the dongle and if you wanted to take advantage of your wireless n router, you would have to buy an add-on anyways.

With all the multimedia functions in this device, not having Wifi AC as an option would be a travesty.

Hopefully the 360 wireless adapter will be compatible if that is the case ... seeing how expensive it was at the time.

onQ123

Sorry, I just dont see the "big iPad" idea as being remotely valid. Waving/talking at thin air is not the same as interacting with a handheld slate device because one of those things is natural and intuitive, and the other is the exact opposite.

As to the whole DVR aspect, I just don't think that has all that much cachet given the amount of TV-on-demand services out there now. Streaming is a simpler, better, solution.

I'm pretty sure the 1st tablet released wasn't natural and intuitive. last time Kinect was a add-on to a 5 year old console this time the console will be made with Kinect controls in mind & they will both be made to work together better.

I wonder if there is enough leaked information if MS would be forced to show their hand earlier than E3 of next year or if they plan on doing something this year before the Wii U goes on sale to take some wind out of those already lacking sails.

ekim

I wonder if there is enough leaked information if MS would be forced to show their hand earlier than E3 of next year or if they plan on doing something this year before the Wii U goes on sale to take some wind out of those already lacking sails.

I was just about to write something similar. I also think Microsoft should use the momentum generated by the recent leaks and just tease it.

Kind of disappointing to hear this as a huge pc user. I want a system that focuses on games and first party titles with a lot of power under the hood. This sounds like an applebox with games and a gaming brand name attached to it. Either this thing is going to have a big pricetag or its not going to have a huge leap from current gen.

StevieP

Banned
I'm pretty sure the 1st tablet released wasn't natural and intuitive. last time Kinect was a add-on to a 5 year old console this time the console will be made with Kinect controls in mind & they will both be made to work together better.

onQ123 is right on the money with this one, with the addition that we're talking about a revised sensor that's also packed into every box.

Schweinehund said:
Kind of disappointing to hear this as a huge pc user. I want a system that focuses on games and first party titles with a lot of power under the hood.

You... have one?

God I wish people would stop saying this shit.

And why is that? Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean graphics won't improve more, it just means the improvemnts will be slower or less noticeable. It seems you may be mixing these things up. Graphics have improved so much already to the point that they are a rough representation of real life. There's only so much left to improve.

You... have one?

Yes I do!

Its pretty easy to rig up a home media center with a 300$ build and use bluetooth remotes. That is why it would be disappointing to hear about this new system as most of its capabilities I can already do with a little work. I want to see more of its horsepower and what it will be able to accomplish, because like it or not that is the bar that pc players have to deal with for the next 6 years.

And why is that? Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean graphics won't improve more, it just means the improvemnts will be slower or less noticeable. It seems you may be mixing these things up. Graphics have improved so much already to the point that they are a rough representation of real life. There's only so much left to improve.
Giant Panda said:
We've already hit diminishing returns anyway

Because people said the same thing last gen going into this one and they were just as wrong. People just love throwing around "diminished returns!!1" around, when we have so much further to go to reach photorealism in video games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if they do this, they have to stop putting paid media services behind an additional paywall of Live Gold. They'll also have to do something really special to
1) differentiate themselves from $50 roku boxes and $99 apple TV boxes and any number of bluray players and smart TVs - they all support the same horizontal 3rd party services.
2) appeal to a wider audience than just US + a couple of European countries with a basic alacarte video store

Having two CPU's is a pretty smart move from MS if they plan on having the nextbox as a media center in every home. Imagine recording 1080p television from one source while playing a game on one CPU - wouldn't work so well. Having two will enable this without impacting either of the processes.

it'd work fine - PS3 can do it now. It isn't a technical burden to modern machines at all.

StevieP

Banned
if they do this, they have to stop putting paid media services behind an additional paywall of Live Gold. They'll also have to do something really special to
1) differentiate themselves from $50 roku boxes and $99 apple TV boxes and any number of bluray players and smart TVs - they all support the same horizontal 3rd party services.
2) appeal to a wider audience than just US + a couple of European countries with a basic alacarte video store

This is purely speculation on my part, based on some stuff I read last year but... the next Xbox may not have a "paywall" of Live Gold. It may simply have a monthly fee.

alphaNoid said:
Huh? Not a single thing has been announced and anything you read here is pure speculation but mostly lies

No.

This is purely speculation on my part, based on some stuff I read last year but... the next Xbox may not have a "paywall" of Live Gold. It may simply have a monthly fee.

You mean like that subsidized 360?... but... forever? Or do you mean monthly fee for XBL?

StevieP

Banned
You mean like that subsidized 360?... but... forever? Or do you mean monthly fee for XBL?

I'm not sure. Like I said, purely speculation. It could go either way in my speculation-based world (the subsidized 360, for example, includes Live Gold, right?) but....

"Always on internet"... "shift toward services and features"... there's a lot of puzzle pieces there to be put together.

Top Bottom