• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucks

Neo Member
1-D_FTW said:
Keep in mind, you must check the box that let's EA send you promotions, updates, etc. You must verify your e-mail manually

From the Slickdeals Wiki. Did you do both of those things?
Bah, my e-mail was still unverified. I was sure i had done that. Oh well thanks for lettin me know lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mr. Snrub said:
Old by a week or so, there was a thread on it.

And "No Russian" was a joke, IMO. BS attempt at drama via shock value. Added nothing to the game.
Ah, figures!

And, that may be true, but at least they didn't run away from it entirely.

I always assumed that the lack of civilians was a technological issue. Instead, it's game developers not having a spine. :(

Mr. Snrub said:
Old by a week or so, there was a thread on it.

And "No Russian" was a joke, IMO. BS attempt at drama via shock value. Added nothing to the game.
One of the most memorable missiosn of the game for me :( I wasn't sure what the hell was going on so I started shooting random things in case the AI turned on me for not shooting anyone. Of course, it wasn't that advanced and I could've done bunnyhops without attracting their gunfire, but still, it was pretty amazing being in that moment the first time, trying to keep your cover without killing anyone, and seeing so many innocent people slaughtered.

My only issue with that level is that after trying so hard not to kill anyone the second half of the level basically forces you to plough through the waves of SWAT that turn up. It kinda ruined that immersion.

I also thought that it was really tense going through the Favela shooting the bad guys and then being an inch away from pulling the trigger on some innocent bloke and then realising just in time he wasn't an enemy and stopping yourself. It made the battlefield much more complex.

I do agree that civilians in FPS, not just BF and MW, are a good way to go forward. Of course some people will just shoot them all because they can, but for me it adds another layer of realism and consequence. I love it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Foliorum Viridum said:
I do agree that civilians in FPS, not just BF and MW, are a good way to go forward. Of course some people will just shoot them all because they can, but for me it adds another layer of realism and consequence. I love it.
Pretty much. I find it strange that all battles take place in abandoned cities/towns, for example. Even the stupid parts of MW2 that took place in the US had empty towns... including Washington DC??

firehawk12 said:
Pretty much. I find it strange that all battles take place in abandoned cities/towns, for example. Even the stupid parts of MW2 that took place in the US had empty towns... including Washington DC??
Yeah, those early levels where Russia attacks America and you're rolling through suburbia is really cool because it's the fight being taken to a location which traditionally is safe and friendly. It was unique to go through those houses and into the retail park etc.

If there were civilians there, taking cover and crying etc, it would have been even better, however.

I'm sure that the same will be true for BF3.

firehawk12 said:
No idea if this is the official BF3 thread, but I was listening to the Gamespot podcast and some guy from DICE said that they
left civilians out of the game because they were scared of players killing them?

old news is old

punkypine

a good way to do it would be hitting civilians = drains your own health. so an accidental stray bullet wont kill you, but shooting on purpose =suicide

I was more disturbed by the later missions, where you're shooting troops from both nationalities. Not sure why, but that level stuck with me a whole lot more than "No Russian".

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mr. Snrub said:
I was more disturbed by the later missions, where you're shooting troops from both nationalities. Not sure why, but that level stuck with me a whole lot more than "No Russian".
Yeah, I can't believe that the media didn't have a shitstorm with the end of MW3 had you killing American troops stationed in Afghanistan who were following the orders of a general that happened to be nuts. They weren't the bad guys at all.

Mr. Snrub said:
The game lost me in the last 2/3 missions after the big twist. It was too stupid for me to care who I was shooting then.

The first 3/4 of the game was really striking, though.

nitric0

The people that pre-ordered from Origin, can you see the game in your "My Games" section of Origin? I only see my pre-order when I click my name. Also, do they charge on release date or when you buy it? I still don't see it on my paypal account.

Edit: I see it now but under the name "DigitalRiver US Inc" in my Paypal recent activity

TheJerit

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, I can't believe that the media didn't have a shitstorm with the end of MW3 had you killing American troops stationed in Afghanistan who were following the orders of a general that happened to be nuts. They weren't the bad guys at all.

but can't that really be said about any side in a war (for the most part)?

*deep maaaaan ;)

firehawk12 said:
No idea if this is the official BF3 thread, but I was listening to the Gamespot podcast and some guy from DICE said that they
left civilians out of the game because they were scared of players killing them?

That's pretty cowardly, considering "No Russian" in MW2. Then again, single player is no reason to play a BF game I guess.

Cowardly? Come on man, lets not so soon forget the massacre in Norway earlier this summer, only a skip/hop/jump from DICE in Sweden.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheJerit said:
but can't that really be said about any side in a war (for the most part)?

*deep maaaaan ;)
True but in the US we have outlets like Fox News that love to target video games and anything that can be seen as "anti-American".

woober

TheJerit said:
you too huh? i was waiting for my bday email as well. i know way back in the thread someone mentioned that they would find out if the origin took out the money now or once the game released. hate to be that guy, but do they? i want to use a certain account with origin and i would rather wait for a bit before i put a bunch of money in that account. if they just check to see if you have the amount, then i can do that....

if not then oh well, i'll just order it with a different account i suppose.

If you pay via paypal, they will take your money immediately. If you pay using credit card, you will not be charged unless you begin the preload. Or something like that.

For those interested, like people said a few posts above me, you can create a new Origin account with different email addresses and set your birthday to tomorrow. Verify your profile afterwards and you should receive a email for 25% off on their store.

TheJerit

woober said:
If you pay via paypal, they will take your money immediately. If you pay using credit card, you will not be charged unless you begin the preload. Or something like that.

thanks. yeah i just found the info on their site a few minutes ago and edited my post.

TheJerit

RoboPlato said:
True but in the US we have outlets like Fox News that love to target video games and anything that can be seen as "anti-American".

true amigo, true....

its ok though cause i got mah buck 'o five.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The game lost me in the last 2/3 missions after the big twist. It was too stupid for me to care who I was shooting then.

The first 3/4 of the game was really striking, though.

Honestly, none of the story really gripped me. That mission stood out to me, though. Maybe it was the ZIMMAH playing in the background.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've accepted the fact I like the stories in MW and MW2 way more than most people. >_>

The stories are fine, no worse than most other videogames, they're just not told that well. The idea of Russian paratroopers storming suburbs in Virginia is badass, it's just too bad there's no characters the player can care about, aside from that fanservice character getting introduced in the Gulag level.

Animator

sn1pes said:
Does the RO2 beta go until release?

It does. If you guys get it hop on to our server. open up console and type "open ro2goons.com" without the quotes. 64 player server located in Chicago.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
a friend who works at starbreeze says that dice is panicking to fix everything before release. Unbelievable crunch time for them right now.

Well, I have a solution for them. Give US the beta, take a couple days off, and we'll give them a whole host of things to fix. Things they don't even know about.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
a friend who works at starbreeze says that dice is panicking to fix everything before release. Unbelievable crunch time for them right now.

Damn, i do not want to be a Dice developer right now, its going to be a long Q4 for them, im guessing lots of patches right after release, like they always have.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MrCompletely said:
Cowardly? Come on man, lets not so soon forget the massacre in Norway earlier this summer, only a skip/hop/jump from DICE in Sweden.
I don't know anything about the Nordic art scene, but I have to imagine there will be films, novels, art installations about that subject soon enough - maybe on the anniversary of the event.

Meanwhile, they can't even figure out how to put civilians into a fictional game where you probably slaughter thousands of Russian soldiers.

I know, I know, games are not art so it shouldn't matter or something.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've accepted the fact I like the stories in MW and MW2 way more than most people. >_>
I think they're like MGS4 or Heavy Rain. Really good single moments wrapped around a lot of shitty writing.

Enco

Netrunner2k2 said:
Well, I have a solution for them. Give US the beta, take a couple days off, and we'll give them a whole host of things to fix. Things they don't even know about.
And UK.

Must be insane knowing that changing the release date is not an option, the release date is key to everything, 2 weeks before MW2 and they have millions of dollars set up for marketing on that date. daaamn

InfectedZero said:
This was already confirmed along with different color bullet tracers wasn't it?

Yeah, I posted that earlier, but he never said if that was for SP or MP. I assumed MP, but asked and...never got a response.

This tweet seems to confirm it more clearly, though.

vidal said:

New, I think. People need to actually try this out before they freak out. I hope it doesn't affect disabling/health bleed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nostalgia~4ever said:
it does suck to work 7 days a week 16 hours a day or whatever, but hopefully it ends up rewarding.
I honestly don't think I could find any job rewarding enough to warrant those hours.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nostalgia~4ever said:
Launch of the beta or launch of the game? I was thinking that they were treating the beta like a soft launch but now I'm not so sure.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DenogginizerOS said:
Indeed. I sincerely hope Dice has a smooth launch, but that would be a first for them.

it won't happen

I'll start to play the game in December earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom