• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Project X’ Trailer – ‘The Hangover’ Director Throws Hollywood’s Craziest Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb or could be fun?

project_x-620x183.png

TRAILER (HD) - Streaming Mirror

XUBuO.jpg

Project X hits theaters March 2nd, 2012.

Does anyone give a shit about this thing? Another film journalist thinks it will be a MASSIVE hit since WB can market it like the Hangover, while I say no way in hell.

wtf is this shit? They just had a party with a bunch of white kids and filmed it?!

At least give us some Dave Chappelle and Kanyeeezy

Drewsky

Expendable. said:
Does anyone give a shit about this thing? Another film journalist thinks it will be a MASSIVE hit since WB can market it like the Hangover, while I say no way in hell.
No where close to The Hangover.

Looks stupid to me.

Looks like ass. Stop shoehorning this bullshit handycam filming to compensate for shitty plots, Hollywood. It doesn't make the movie any better.

It looks like one giant terrible music video. The Cloverfield meets Hangover. Although that could be awesome if there was a giant monster that killed all these kids. The director does say it "gets dark."

Takao

Banned
Expendable. said:
It looks like one giant terrible music video. The Cloverfield meets Hangover. Although that could be awesome if there was a giant monster that killed all these kids. The director does say it "gets dark."

In the end of the trailer there are houses on fire and like some GI Joe: Rise of Cobra armor suit dude.

Doesn't Todd Phillips make comedies? That just looks like a bunch of upper middle class high schoolers wish fulfillment for an awesome party on screen. I'll stick with Superbad as my "Let's make this a memorable night" movie.

Takao said:
In the end of the trailer there are houses on fire and like some GI Joe: Rise of Cobra armor suit dude.

#OccupySuburbia

Expendable. said:

I'm betting on a twist. I see at the end some guy with a flamethrower and what looks like swat team members. The trailer I kept thinking there is some twist that would happen. No way there is a movie just about people partying and nothing else.

I think I was the only one that saw this in theaters, but it kind of reminds me of The Virginity Hit from last year. Which wasn't totally terrible.

Drewsky

Wait is it found footage? I thought it was going to be since he's talking directly to the camera, but then the rest didn't look like it.

Expendable. said:
yeah brah all the girls get pregnant and you find out the one percent introduced roofies into the white community to increase student loan customers and prevent an uprising.

Drewsky said:
Wait is it found footage? I thought it was going to be since he's talking directly to the camera, but then the rest didn't look like it.

From the interview above:

Sex and the dark are two of my favourite things. So, was it all shot from one POV?
It's a kid filming it, and other kids with their flips and their phones. We sourced every bit of footage and cut it together. We handed out cameras to our extras, made sure lots of angles were being shot. I think it's a sign of technology and our times. Kids film themselves. We've all seen shitty, pixellated footage of something interesting happening on YouTube. Kids today, that's all they watch, really.

Were there restrictions with that type of filming?
We shot it all in one house, with no removable walls. I wanted where we shot to really limit me and restrict me in the way it would if I was really going to shoot a house party. I think it adds to the realism of the movie.

Let's talk about the kids in the film. It was open casting, right?
Yeah. Going for this realistic approach, we couldn't really cast any known characters, that would throw off the whole idea. Also these kids are supposed to be 17 and you don't have too many known faces at that age anyway. We spent months whittling down thousands. I'm happy with the guys we picked.

That's good. Did the rejects end up as extras?
Some who came close became, like, day players with a line part, or extras. Again, with the extras we had to go through hundreds and hundreds… And that's part of the problem man, everyone just flops to LA to be seen. Everyone tries to hog the camera. That's been the hardest thing, just telling people to "Fuck off!"

Hahaha. So you shot it in LA then?
Yeah, we shot it here and it's set in Pasadena. We were shooting for seven weeks.

That doesn't sound that long.
No, it's really not. But four and half weeks of those seven were night shoots, so, we were shooting from 5PM to 5AM. That was the hardest part.

Four and a half weeks of throwing a party every night would probably get lame.
Mate, it became such a killer for me. When you go out and party yourself, the next day you wanna be in a quiet space and chill. Here I was at work, whilst having two hundred really excited young kids running around. And music pumping, every day, like a party.

You'll never want to party again.
I know, or at least just party with people my own age.

Takao said:
Ya there's like 2 seconds of chaos and Iron Man's just sorta shoved in there at the end. Who knows, it could be interesting if it turns out to be more than nerdy dudes throw a crazy party.

Guzim

Expendable. said:
I think I was the only one that saw this in theaters, but it kind of reminds me of The Virginity Hit from last year. Which wasn't totally terrible.
I knew this trailer reminded me of The Virginity Hit, but I couldn't remember the name.

Guzim said:
I knew this trailer reminded me of The Virginity Hit, but I couldn't remember the name.

I went to a screening of that FULL of old people for some reason. After the 156th penis and/or vagina joke in the first 10 minutes, they all exited.

test screening impressions from IMDb:

...and I must say that the movie was stellar from start to end. Even though the version I saw was (supposedly) NOT the final product, this film would be a hit even if released today as it is.

All the actors were good, but special kudos go to Oliver Cooper ("Costa"), who was absolutely fantastic and surely has a bright career ahead of him.

Big props to the music supervisor.

I hope the director/cast/crew (and especially the DP) read this, because this is a testament to the superb product they delivered: when I walked out of the theater, about 3 or 4 times I said -- without realizing it -- "that was a fun party" instead of "that was a fun movie". I literally felt like I had partied with these kids for 2 hours.

I absolutely agree. I have been waiting for a couple months for someone else to see the film and give thier opinion. The music was fantastic and perfectly edited to the on screen action. I really hope they market this film correctly and it's a success. I was completely engaged from about 15 minutes in.

The really funny characters are Costa, Tyler, Everett, and the neighbor. The midget gets some laughs for sure but the best part is the wonder that's generated from witnessing truly epic party stunts. If anyone who sees this film can say, pshh I've been to a better party, I will say f#%k off sir. My super sweet sixteen ain't *beep* to this party.

I saw this film at an advanced screening and did not sign a non-disclosure agreement but I will not reveal any real details of the film because frankly I like going to the screenings and if putting details here somehow gets me banned from future screenings I will be very sad. I will just say I found it to be extremely original in its presentation and absolutely engaging like no other comedy I have ever seen. THIS IS A PARTY. I would have nothing but good things to say about this film if I had the permission to do so.

Meet the new Superbad

I was there as well and I haven't enjoyed a comedy so much since Hangover. It was completely original and awesome

....and MPPA Rating: R (For crude and sexual content throughout, nudity, drugs, drinking, pervasive language, reckless behavior and mayhem - all involving teens.)

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
Expendable. said:

I don't think it will be a massive hit. It's too "weird." Though I am very intreaged. It looks really interesting

Expendable. said:

My guess:
drugs end up leading to all the problems

I actually saw this along time ago as a screener. Pretty crazy stuff going on but yeah its basically cloverfield mixed with superbad with drugs of course. I did however have to poop halfway through so I missed a good 15min lol

Xater

I just watched the trailer and that alone does absolutely nothing for me. I don't even know if this is supposed to be a comedy. I guess it tries to be funny at one point, but it really isn't. Then most of it is just poorly shot party footage and a few seconds of some crazy shit. I don't get a sense for the one character that is introduced (the kid) or actually anything tha tis going on. I have no idea why I should watch this.

lbcyalater said:
I actually saw this along time ago as a screener. Pretty crazy stuff going on but yeah its basically cloverfield mixed with superbad with drugs of course. I did however have to poop halfway through so I missed a good 15min lol
Sounds pretty OK to me.

Agentnibs

Looks like a movie where the movie nothing like the trailer. The early screening quotes up there really do just make it sound like they're just partying though, guess we'll see.

Takao

Banned
"From Producer, Todd Philips, director of The Hangover" is probably the worst shout out I've seen on a movie poster.

LevelNth

Banned
Has the potential to be a lot of fun, and I'm all for watching hot girls dance around to Top 40 with over the top camera angles and shenanigans, but I have serious doubts that there is enough content in this to make it worthy of a full length film.

Lemme take a stab at this:

Geek-throws-huge-party-while-parents-are-away-almost-gets-girl-but-then-loses-out-to-popular-jock-character-whilst-the-party-seems-to-get-outta-hand-in-highlarious-ways-just-as-his-parents-call-to-say-they-are-coming-home-early-NUDEPENIS-and-the-geek-starts-freaking-out-everyone-scrambles-from-the-cops-except-multiple-super-funny-drunk-and-lovable-characters-series-of-improbable-events-occur-allowing-geek-to-overcome-popular-jock-and-totally-get-with-random-hot-girl-and-house-is-miraculously-cleaned-up-just-prior-to-parents-coming-back.

Whew! No?

Tideas

Banned
LevelNth said:
Has the potential to be a lot of fun, and I'm all for watching hot girls dance around to Top 40 with over the top camera angles and shenanigans, but I have serious doubts that there is enough content in this to make it worthy of a full length film.

Lemme take a stab at this:

Geek-throws-huge-party-while-parents-are-away-almost-gets-girl-but-then-loses-out-to-popular-jock-character-whilst-the-party-seems-to-get-outta-hand-in-highlarious-ways-just-as-his-parents-call-to-say-they-are-coming-home-early-NUDEPENIS-and-the-geek-starts-freaking-out-everyone-scrambles-from-the-cops-except-multiple-super-funny-drunk-and-lovable-characters-series-of-improbable-events-occur-allowing-geek-to-overcome-popular-jock-and-totally-get-with-random-hot-girl-and-house-is-miraculously-cleaned-up-just-prior-to-parents-coming-back.

Whew! No?

you make that sound like it's a bad thing

lbcyalater said:

what color was it?

Busty

Banned
The previous teasers/trailers for this have been fantastic. An absolute master class in cutting a trailer. I'll certainly go and check it out.

But what's interesting about this film is that they didn't get a 'comedy' guy to direct it. Instead it's the ad director who did all those Addidas Star Wars/street party ads from a few years ago.

EDIT -- Here is the advert he did just in case anyone is interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLScr0GCw9M

There seems to be a real buzz around this film and I'm actually curious to check it out. I have a feeling that this could be HUGE.

Seeing this tonight. Tracking is insane, better than John Carter. I'm sure that'll change but that would be crazy if this got a better opening weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom