• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

pooptest

2d1nskozcuzw.gif

BTW, DS4 works great on PC, both as generic controller and via that DS4Tool app that emulates X360 gamepad.

I finally installed the DS4 Input Wrapper and holy crap... the Touchpad is a mouse! I had no idea. I was messing with it: highlighting text, closing windows, etc. Very, very neat.

derExperte

Still, if the rumor is true (big if), then just buy the package with the adapter and sell the controller. What's the big deal?

I bought the Titanfall Controller because I like how it looks. Still sealed and I got it cheap so selling with a profit will always be an option but not being able to use it would definitely be a bummer

Draft

When I finally upgrade my PC game controller it will be to something next gen like the Steam Controller. Whatever MS and Sony do with their pads and PC drivers is of little interest to anyone who already has an X360 controller.

Jonm1010

Banned
I finally installed the DS4 Input Wrapper and holy crap... the Touchpad is a mouse! I had no idea. I was messing with it: highlighting text, closing windows, etc. Very, very neat.
Wait so it basically eliminates the need for a mouse on the desktop? I need to get on this thing.

Anyone have some handy links??

I love the ds4. And if I can use it in place of my 360 pad with no compromises then I'm set!

Well fuck. I'll just keep using the 360 controller and the DS4 then.

Yeah it's pretty cool isn't it? I just found that it wasn't very accurate for, say, web browsing. I could hardly click a link. But that was on the default sensitivity, it might be a lot better if you lower it.

^
That D-Pad tho...

This is the only reason I was looking forward to the X1 controller. I hate the D-Pad on the 360 Controller. I tried the DS4 and it was pretty good but I started to run into compatibility issues and decided that I would stick with the official 360 controller.

On that note, has anyone tried out the wireless controller with the transforming D-Pad? If so, is it any better?

Barzul

Oh ffs Microsoft. Like really this is just insane. Just effing release drivers for the PC. We'll be buying some sort of dongle anyway.

LAA

Just gonna post this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXHejtLeII

Just installed it now and the X1 controller is connected on my PC with W7 :D

Was worried about W7 support, but some of the comments tell you how to get it working.
Sadly seems rumble support isn't on yet... or at least I don't have a way to check it which is a shame, but at least I can actually use it now.
As others have said for DS4, I think it is great, but does have compatibility issues with some games, MGR/RE6 are two examples I can think of where it doesnt work.

Gonna test some games now and see if it all works OK

Just gonna post this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXHejtLeII

Just installed it now and the X1 controller is connected on my PC with W7 :D

Was worried about W7 support, but some of the comments tell you how to get it working.
Sadly seems rumble support isn't on yet... or at least I don't have a way to check it which is a shame, but at least I can actually use it now.
As others have said for DS4, I think it is great, but does have compatibility issues with some games, MGR/RE6 are two examples I can think of where it doesnt work.

Gonna test some games now and see if it all works OK

He says D-Pad sometimes doesn't work too, which seems very true as I haven't had success yet.

Got the rest (bar rumble) going though! I used this page to help with the lack of WinUSB on Windows 7

http://www.libusb.org/wiki/winusb_driver_installation

pooptest

Wait so it basically eliminates the need for a mouse on the desktop? I need to get on this thing.

Anyone have some handy links??

I love the ds4. And if I can use it in place of my 360 pad with no compromises then I'm set!

I'm using 1.2.2: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

I had some hiccups, though, at first. I installed the drivers it tells you to in the readme. I plugged in the controller and it locked up my computer. I was watching Hulu while doing this and the audio was still playing, so not sure exactly what was happening. I hard-reset the computer and it seemed to be fine after that.

Also, as per someone on Reddit or in the site's forums, it said to download/install the X360 controller drivers from MSFT (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows#support) if you get a lockup and it should be fine after that. I did and it was fine afterwards.

Yeah it's pretty cool isn't it? I just found that it wasn't very accurate for, say, web browsing. I could hardly click a link. But that was on the default sensitivity, it might be a lot better if you lower it.

Yeah, it's very cool. I had mine on default and it was a little easier to use than the old laptop "red" buttons.
thinkpad-4-580-90.jpg

These were pretty snappy to get to the main points of a dialog box, "OK", "Cancel", "X" to close, but effectively useless to use as a mouse otherwise.

Coconut

Banned
Seems silly for them to push the One controller on PC when they still charge 40$ for a controller that's cheaper to produce.

heyf00L

The Xbone controller doesn't give anything significant over the 360 controller, so I'll stick with that.

If anything I'd rather a DS4 for that track pad. It'd be great for navigating PC menus.

ShapeGSX

I bought the Titanfall Controller because I like how it looks. Still sealed and I got it cheap so selling with a profit will always be an option but not being able to use it would definitely be a bummer

If this rumor is true, just buy the package that includes the dongle and then sell the black controller that was included with it. Keep the Titanfall controller.

Or just use the Titanfall controller as a wired controller.

Why wouldn't you be able to use your Titanfall controller?

If this rumor is true, just buy the package that includes the dongle and then sell the black controller that was included with it. Keep the Titanfall controller.

That isn't an optimal solution at all, man. At least with the 360 one you could buy it separate, or get a knockoff.

If you do it the way you're saying, you're at the mercy of the marketplace. Not a good thing at all.

ShapeGSX

That isn't an optimal solution at all, man. At least with the 360 one you could buy it separate, or get a knockoff.

If you do it the way you're saying, you're at the mercy of the marketplace. Not a good thing at all.

The knockoffs didn't appear for a while. And they probably stopped selling the standalone official adapters because they weren't actually selling nearly as well as the packaged solution.

Sometimes you have to do sub-optimal things to get exactly what you want.

Still, again, it's just a rumor.

The knockoffs didn't appear for a while. And they probably stopped selling the standalone official adapters because they weren't actually selling nearly as well as the packaged solution.

Sometimes you have to do sub-optimal things to get exactly what you want.

Still, again, it's just a rumor.

Of the things I'd recommend, buying what is likely a 70$ package just for a 20$ part, then hoping I get 40/50 for the controller is not on that list. That's a convoluted solution at best. You either wait for the non bundled version, wait for the knockoff, use it wired, or just use the 360 pad. Why would you even recommend that?

While I'm totally cool with fiddling with drivers, jerry rigging goof ass setups, and other such "sub-optimal" things, nobody should have to buy the controller bundle for the sole purpose of getting the damn part. I'd hope they have the sense to not do that (and from the stereo headset adapter being separate, I think they do).

AU Tiger

Meh.... not really worried to be honest. 360 pad is fine for now. I'm more interested in using the steam controller to be honest.

JoRo

It's bullshit like this that makes me hate Microsoft as a company. I know people out there will be like, "But they're a company, their sole purpose is to make money," but I don't think that's a very good excuse. You make more money by not treating your customers like garbage. This is especially worse since they told everyone they would release the drivers this year. For every shitty practice Microsoft does I can show you the opposite from some other company. Just look at a company like Amazon. There's a reason they have a reputation for the best customer service. Anyway, Microsoft gonna Microsoft, so not surprised.

Pociask

Do the 360 pads ever go on sale? I am trying to do some comfy couch PC gaming, and so I was looking at prices on 360 controllers. They're still selling for like $50 at the brick & mortar I visited - although Amazon has as low as $33 with Prime shipping. $33 doesn't seem bad, but I was pretty surprised that they were still so high at the b&m's.

Coconut

Banned
Do the 360 pads ever go on sale? I am trying to do some comfy couch PC gaming, and so I was looking at prices on 360 controllers. They're still selling for like $50 at the brick & mortar I visited - although Amazon has as low as $33 with Prime shipping. $33 doesn't seem bad, but I was pretty surprised that they were still so high at the b&m's.

Accessories rarely drop in price.

Fine by me. I tried the Xbox One controller for the first time on Saturday and it felt like a downgrade from the 360. The analog sticks had close to no resistance which made them feel like the DS3 sticks, only worse because I couldn't click them directly down without them slipping. The triggers felt nasty too. The only thing I liked about it was that the buttons were very clicky and responsive, including the d-pad.

This is 100% wrong. When the drivers become available, they will work with the existing controllers. There is no plan to do a new, separate controller that only works on Windows. It will be the same as it is on Xbox 360 - the Xbox One controller you have today will work.

That's not to say that we may not ship also PC SKU of the Xbox One controller, much like we do on Xbox 360.

Liroku

Neo Member
I never really liked DS3, I loved the Xbox "Type S" and the Xbox360 gamepad, but the xbox one controller does NOT feel good for me, at all. The dual shock 4 is perfect for PC. With the xinput wrapper, touchpad for cursor support, wide support for Bluetooth adapters, it's simply better in every way IMO. The controller feels great in my hands, controls very well. 360 controllers always had a weird dead zone feel to them. Maybe that is in my head, but DS4 makes for a great PC peripheral.

This is 100% wrong. When the drivers become available, they will work with the existing controllers. There is no plan to do a new, separate controller that only works on Windows. It will be the same as it is on Xbox 360 - the Xbox One controller you have today will work.

That's not to say that we may not ship also PC SKU of the Xbox One controller, much like we do on Xbox 360.

Seems a title update is in order if this is accurate...

Sulik2

Gotta take the info straight from the source. Sounds like a bogus rumor in the OP then

jim2011

It's bullshit like this that makes me hate Microsoft as a company. I know people out there will be like, "But they're a company, their sole purpose is to make money," but I don't think that's a very good excuse. You make more money by not treating your customers like garbage. This is especially worse since they told everyone they would release the drivers this year. For every shitty practice Microsoft does I can show you the opposite from some other company. Just look at a company like Amazon. There's a reason they have a reputation for the best customer service. Anyway, Microsoft gonna Microsoft, so not surprised.

Or you could just jumping to conclusions and believing bs rumors and condemning Microsoft for things they aren't actually doing...

Penello cleared this whole mess up. Mods should lock/change the OP/title

Draft

What's the hold up with the drivers?

Audette

I wonder if a new dongle is going to be required. I really hope not, though if it's bundled I suppose that would end up working for some people.

Metallix87

Sigh not this again... I will never understand this argument, ha ha.
Why is it fine for the right analogue to be at the bottom, but heaven forbid the left on being at the bottom. Makes no sense to me at all. The thumbs touching each other is a valid reason, but seems its no longer a problem for DS4.
Isn't really a problem whether they choose to put analogues for me (...Within reason of course, ha ha), I can adjust to any controller just fine. Analogue placements arent enough to make me prefer another controller outright. Dependent on comfortability mostly and perhaps features.

Some people just prefer the left analog stick in the primary position.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Seems a title update is in order if this is accurate...
Is it really though?
Gotta take the info straight from the source. Sounds like a bogus rumor in the OP then
Yeah, but
Yeah, but I hope he's telling the truth this time. Give us a time frame Penello?
Exactly. Penello, your words ring kind of hollow. You gotta substantiate them. How about a release period? A month, even a quarter would be fine.

I wonder if a new dongle is going to be required. I really hope not, though if it's bundled I suppose that would end up working for some people.

No. The controller (in wired mode) will work as-is.

How wireless will/could work is TBD. There are some options we are looking at.

No more updates on the timeframe beyond what's been publicly stated - the plan is this year.

When the update comes out and we have more details, I can explain the holdup.

I'd be interested to know what the hold up is, surely it can't be that difficult to get it working?

Presumably it's just low on the priority list. Maybe there's a technical reason, but engineers are probably busy with other things. Just got my Titanfall controller in the mail today, looking forward to using it sooner rather than later.

LAA

Some people just prefer the left analog stick in the primary position.

Oh yeah sure, thats understandable, it just doesnt make sense to me to brand a controller as instantly inferior if its not, espicially when it functions the same no matter where it is.

Personally I don't "prefer" analogue positions, they're just simply...positions to me.

Chettlar

Banned

Hey, quick question, are you guys considering a dongle so we can play wirelessly on our PCs (like with the 360)? Is that a possibility in the future?

Nyoro SF

No. The controller (in wired mode) will work as-is.

How wireless will/could work is TBD. There are some options we are looking at.

No more updates on the timeframe beyond what's been publicly stated - the plan is this year.

When the update comes out and we have more details, I can explain the holdup.

Good to hear, thanks. I actually purchased an extra 360 wired controller at Gamestop just as a backup in the event that it didn't go through, but if the One controller can get the same driver support then I'll grab one to see how it feels. :)

level44

It is fantastic, definitely the best PC controller out there.

I'm still going to wait it out for a bit since my 360 controller is still fine. I hope official drivers come at some point.

Off-topic: will the DS4 work perfectly when I start up a game with those drivers or do I have to set it up every time before I start playing something?

Top Bottom