• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I hear that was in SAO season II, which I did not watch. In fact, I hardly paid much heed to the finale of Alfheim Online

The second season of SAO was mostly boring to bad, but the last arc (that was like 4-5 episodes) was pretty decent. It had nice some nice action, and the main character was actually likable for once. And it actually somewhat delivered on the emotional moments (mostly due to the good performances). There's a few stupid things that happen, but not enough to take away from the whole arc unlike most of the show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Always thought that was overblown in this thread

They gave her Super AIDS instead of like tuberculosis or whatever. It's not like they weren't spoiled for choice in regards to diseases that would put someone in the position she was in. They literally went with the joke option.

Plus, it's always some horrible sex thing happening to girls in SAO. First two girls almost get raped, then a third dies of an STD. There's an unfortunate pattern there.

A big reason I bothered checking out SAO as much as I did was because, 4-5 years ago while having premium CrunchyRoll access, "Why is this getting so much more hits than HxH?"

Moaradin

They gave her Super AIDS instead of like tuberculosis or whatever. It's not like they weren't spoiled for choice in regards to diseases that would put someone in the position she was in. They literally went with the joke option.

Plus, it's always some horrible sex thing happening to girls in SAO. First two girls almost get raped, then a third dies of an STD. There's an unfortunate pattern there.

Sure, but it wasn't some horrible sex thing like the other situations. I don't remember the specifics, but wasn't it transferred during child birth or some botched blood transfusion (which is something that happens in real life)?

Regardless, I always thought people focused too much on the disease and not the actual consequences of it. The way Yuuki handled her situation was done about as well as you could expect from SAO.

Raxus

Jojo was always fabulous they just up it each part until you reach part 5 and achieve MAXIMUM FABULOUS LEVELS. I really wanna repost Caboose's part 3 promo. It is pretty great.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sure, but it wasn't some horrible sex thing like the other situations. I don't remember the specifics, but wasn't it transferred during child birth or some botched blood transfusion (which is something that happens in real life)?

Regardless, I always thought people focused too much on the disease and not the actual consequences of it. The way Yuuki handled her situation was done about as well as you could expect from SAO.

The blood transfusion is how it happened and that hasn't happened since like the very early 80's. It's just not something that's happened in the modern age, and there's no reason it should be happening in the future.

And it's still a sex thing, she got killed by an STD! It's not just that though, it's how damn lazy it was. Like, spend 5 minutes on WebMD and get a real disease that does that shit.

Moaradin

The blood transfusion is how it happened and that hasn't happened since like the very early 80's. It's just not something that's happened in the modern age, and there's no reason it should be happening in the future.

And it's still a sex thing, she got killed by an STD! It's not just that though, it's how damn lazy it was. Like, spend 5 minutes on WebMD and get a real disease that does that shit.

Is that really true? Cause I swear I hear about freak accidents where a hospital accidentally transfers STDs to people every once in a while.

Either way, I still don't think it matters that much. A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way and I don't believe the STD thing is the sole takeaway from that arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is that really true? Cause I swear I hear about freak accidents where a hospital accidentally transfers STDs to people every once in a while.

Either way, I still don't think it matters that much. A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way and I don't believe the STD thing is the sole takeaway from that arc.

Not really in the last 30 years. Blood is tested rigorously for disease these days.

My point is that it's lazy as fuck. There's real diseases they could have used that would make the suspension of disbelief really easy. This shouldn't require a jump on our part, it's should be a pretty straightforward thing. Just give her a hereditary disease.

Moaradin

Not really in the last 30 years. Blood is tested rigorously for disease these days.

My point is that it's lazy as fuck. There's real diseases they could have used that would make the suspension of disbelief really easy. This shouldn't require a jump on our part, it's should be a pretty straightforward thing. Just give her a hereditary disease.

It still happens if these articles are to be believed.

That's besides the point though. I don't think it would make any meaningful difference to the story if it was that or some other disease. They could have even gone with some made up future disease, and it wouldn't matter. The disease itself wasn't important to me. The main takeaway was Yuuki's character arc and how she deals with it.

I'm not even saying that arc was great either. It was decent and had some enjoyable parts to it. It just looks amazing compared to everything else in the series lol.

Xe4

Banned
It still happens if these articles are to be believed.

That's besides the point though. I don't think it would make any meaningful difference to the story if it was that or some other disease. They could have even gone with some made up future disease, and it wouldn't matter. The disease itself wasn't important to me. The main takeaway was Yuuki's character arc and how she deals with it.

I'm not even saying that arc was great either. It was decent and had some enjoyable parts to it. It just looks amazing compared to everything else in the series lol.

I know that the window period makes some diseases such as HIV and Hep B hidden from antigen screenings for a while, such that they can be undetected by a test. Also stuff like BSE, commonly known as mad cow disease can't even come up on a test, although I'm not sure if it even can be transmitted from person to person via that method.

It's why blood tests tend to be pretty strict.

Moaradin

It's definitely a touchy subject that I wouldn't ever trust SAO to handle well, but that arc definitely handled it better than I would ever expect out of that show.

Hell, if that arc was standalone and had no connection to SAO at all, I doubt many people here would have nearly as much trouble with the subject.

Seda

I agree that aids was a weird disease to use, but it honestly doesnt really change anything. It doesn't change the character or circumstance, how they react to her mortality, plot progression and character interaction, etc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I mean....

Asuna = Sexual Assault in-game...& when she was in a coma in real life....
Silica = sexual assault by tentacles in-game....twice....& she's only 13, remember
Sinon ASADA-SAN = Sexual Assault in real life
Yuuki = sexual disease
Suguha = sexual tension with her cousin-brother

there's pretty much a pattern going on here with the female characters, the fact the disease just so happened to be AIDS is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SAO (especially the first season) is the pinnacle of a "so bad, it's hilarious" group watch, because it was just so amazing to see what would happen next & how everyone would react.

Part of me hopes we get S3 just for another round of SAO hate watch.

caliph95

I already know more than i need to about it thanks to SAO abridged, digi, moters basement and gigguk.

I should watch it sometime but i don't have that little of a life, maybe i do but i'm not that bored

caliph95

I was hoping for Dimension W because it was dub seemed that it will be in the same vein as stuff like cowboy bepop basically those old school 90s sci fi anime. Then the reaction came through and i didn't bother seems like the right choice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Real talk

I rather have SAO on the block over completely bland shows like Dimension W or Gundam Unicorn.
Oh god, same here. I mean, I feel like you can learn from a bad show (how not to handle pacing, character development, etc.), but a boring show offers nothing in return.

Even something that's a mixed bag like Michiko & Hatchin, it offers up multiple perspectives as to why it might work for one person, but not for another & can lead to an interesting back & forth.

I'm hoping Tokyo Ghoul will fill the need for a "fun hatewatch" that we haven't really had in a while. At the very least, I've had a few good laughs realizing why this became popular with a younger audience.

cntr

Banned
Super, Stardust Crusaders, IBO S2, Hunter x Hunter, Pain Arc Shippuden, and GitS running concurrently seems like quite a good deal tbh. Tokyo Ghoul'd be the only show I'd skip at that point, and I can tolerate Kai.

Didn't the Dimension W anime compress the shit out of things and cover way too many chapters? Wonder if the manga is better.

Mizerman

I already know more than i need to about it thanks to SAO abridged, digi, moters basement and gigguk.

I should watch it sometime but i don't have that little of a life, maybe i do but i'm not that bored

I was just watching that earlier. Made SAO a bit more tolerable at that angle.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, from what I've heard, they tried to cram over 70 episodes into 12 episodes, & this was a bi-weekly manga, meaning chapters originally came out every other week. It then eventually became monthly 4 years later, but I'm guessing the anime never made it that far.

cntr

Banned
Araki's modern Kenshiro, for reference:
148158287977921owo.jpg

And his Naruto, for good measure:

Too much fabulousness in one post. Can't imagine that Kenshiro exploding fools in a nuclear waste land, still probably a legit Hamon master. "This arm, is it bug meat or man meat?" I'm waiting for it to come full circle and have Araki drawing either Chrollo or Hisoka. His response would probably be, "This is already Jojo enough..."

Half the people in that pic won't be relevant for Toonami for like another year and a half. Is that
Palm
in that pic? She actually looks way better Jojo'd. And now that I'm thinking about it base Chrollo and Hisoka are already Jojo as fuck. And now I have one of the Part 7 covers stuck in my head with Hisoka and Illumi.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Half the people in that pic won't be relevant for Toonami for like another year and a half. Is that
Palm
in that pic? She actually looks way better Jojo'd. And now that I'm thinking about it base Chrollo and Hisoka are already Jojo as fuck. And now I have one of the Part 7 covers stuck in my head with Hisoka and Illumi.

One of those characters
is a member of the Zodiacs.

cntr

Banned
*sees the Keijo!!! manga is cancelled*
Wow, damn, it actually is.

What the author said on his blog, apparently:

Daichi Sorayomi said:
I'm very sorry to write this but the timeline was not on my side. You see, the editor came to me last week and informed myself to increase the popularity of Keijo!!! This is not something you can do overnight. I was lost for words, as I believed we were doing fine in rankings. Today, I was informed by my editor that my manga is being removed due to the poor reception of the anime. The anime failed to make an impact, for advertising purposes, and the studio is carrying that loss because of it. It is my fault, and I am sorry. The source material should have been better and I've done a great burden. I was actually very surprised by the reception overseas. In various conversations, I was told it was greatly talked about in America. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, but I'm sorry once again for failing. My sincerely apologies to Takahashi-san and XEBEC.

I haven't watched Keijo, but blaming him for its lack of success? Yikes.

Raxus

Wow, damn, it actually is.

What the author said on his blog, apparently:

I haven't watched Keijo, but blaming him for its lack of success? Yikes.

I feel sorry for the author. He wrote some fun stuff and the anime was actually really fun as a guilty pleasure. Shame manga editors are so cut throat.

Moaradin

That's Japanese culture I guess. Not only are they blaming the author for the anime failing, but the author is also blaming himself. It's pretty bullshit and I feel bad for him. He made a pretty fun series and Japan needs more ass men in the manga/anime industry.

cntr

Banned
Kind of interesting that the editors totally ignored the anime's popularity in the West. I guess it doesn't count unless Adult Swim funds it.

Keijo!!! wasn't my thing but seeing the author say those things makes me feel for him.

Does the dude have a Twitter or anything? Hopefully he knows that people did enjoy his work and he wasn't a failure just because his editors are assholes.

Even though I don't read the manga, I can kinda see where the Keijo!!!!!!!! anime fell short.
The show has the skeleton of an all-female sports anime with the skin of a ridiculous ecchi.

If the anime wanted to go full ecchi, it would most likely would've needed a self-insert male character who gets into lewd predicaments for the pervs to project themselves onto.

High School DXD does this, for example.

It's an unfortunate casualty of the current otaku landscape. RIP.

Ray Down

Banned
Even though I don't read the manga, I can kinda see where the Keijo!!!!!!!! anime fell short.
The show has the skeleton of an all-female sports anime with the skin of a ridiculous ecchi.

If the anime wanted to go full ecchi, it would most likely would've needed a self-insert male character who gets into lewd predicaments for the pervs to project themselves onto.

High School DXD does this, for example.

It's an unfortunate casualty of the current otaku landscape. RIP.

Probably didn't help that Keijo was really besides for the premise was kinda uninspired imo.

Though its cancellation may be due to the new editor and his planned changes for the magazine.

Speaking of HSDxD and SAO, I'll just say perfect casting for a certain character in One Piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom