• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EDIT 15:

01net, the first site to call out the Project Cafe name, said that their source says this mock-up is the closest to the real thing.

1303503627-01net-cafe-d93r.jpg

Source: http://www.01net.com/editorial/5319...es-precisions-sur-la-manette-et-le-streaming/

EDIT 14:

A Project Cafe header has been found on Nintendo's developer support website: https://www.warioworld.com/images/cafe/cafe_header.jpg

Nice find Kard8p3!

In case it gets taken down:

EpbJ8.jpg

EDIT 13:

Apparently the faked images were unrelated to this story.

IGN said:
More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

For more on Project Cafe, stay tuned to IGN.com.
Source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

EDIT 12:

Corrections:

gofreak said:
Controller
- 6" touchscreen, not HD, not multitouch
- D-Pad, L, R, two triggers, others
- 'Front-facing camera'
- A sensor roughly analagous to the Wii sensor bar is incorporated in the controller - i.e. some kind of IR beacons/transmitters. Purpose isn't clear.

Specs
- Custom triple-core PowerPC
- AMD/ATI GPU. 'Probably' derived from R700 series.
- RAM unknown
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch"

Misc
- One other 'huge surprise' about the system

Taken from:

http://www.01net.com/editorial/5316...2-de-nintendo-aura-une-tablette-pour-manette/

http://www.01net.com/editorial/531680/project-cafe-ce-qui-reste-a-eclaircir-a-propos-de-la-wii-2/
Andrex said:
Seems like mostly:

- Sensor bar being built into the controller is a mistranslation. It seems there will be one very similar to the Wii.
- Backwards compatibility is completely unconfirmed, but the site speculates it will be possible because of the similar architecture.
- Blu-ray is not confirmed and hasn't been brought up by their sources, which seems odd to me as that is kind of a big point to notice.
- Just a "notch above Xbox 360" and not "significantly more powerful" as reported by IGN.
antonz said:
Update 10 is the problem. CVG is writing that the french site confirms GPU and Ram and lists specs. The reality is the french site says:
RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB

GPU:
Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).

CVG takes speculation and is reporting it as fact. We really have no clue of any specs

EDIT 11:

Edge said:
Ubisoft studios have had development kits “for months”, motion-sensing “better than Move”; announcement at E3?

Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.

They have also claimed that the system retains motion control, with capabilities that are “better than Move”, meaning that they boast higher fidelity.
We do not yet have word on whether or not its motion-controlled solution introduces a camera.
Source: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sources-confirm-more-details-on-wii-successor

VG247 said:
The site [from the specs post below] also concurs that the controller is a touch tablet, with moderate , sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/14/report-nintendo-to-announced-wii-successor-at-e3-in-june/

EDIT 10:

Important Note: The R700 is the Radeon 4000 HD series. The Xbox 360's GPU is based on the R500 (an upgraded Radeon X1900 variant with some R600 features) for comparison.

CVG said:
Wii 2 is 'Project Café', says report - tech specs, controller details claimed
Friday 15-Apr-2011 3:01 PM New console to be 'a bit more powerful than 360'

As if you haven't had enough today, the latest Wii 2 rumour report has emerged - and it's a big one, claiming tech specs and controller details for the not-so-secret-anymore Nintendo console.

French site 01net, which previously released the NGP specs long before any official announcement, has backed up widespread claims that Nintendo will reveal its next console at E3 this year.

It's also backed up CVG's scoop that the console's controller will feature a built-in high-resolution screen.

According to the latest report, 'Wii 2' is being internally referred to as 'Project Café', and sports architecture similar to that of the Xbox 360, "but a bit more powerful".

It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM.

This would of course make HD console ports very easy for developers, but 'Project Café' will also include backwards compatibility with both the Wii (including all peripherals) and GameCube games, it's said.

The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar.

Late 2012 is the release date, and another "big surprise" about the console is set to be revealed at E3, the report concludes.

As always consider this a strong rumour for now, but it's a good source indeed.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...report-tech-specs-controller-details-claimed/

EDIT 9: Jim Reilly - New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television."

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58991231140773889

EDIT 8: Jim Reilly - There will be first and third party "Wii 2" games at E3. No clue if they'll be playable.

https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/58948527677648896

EDIT 7: Jim Reilly - Dual analog sticks on the controller. Can stream game content from the console. Not sure if it'll be full games, mini-games, or apps.

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58952595657596929

EDIT 6: IGN article updated to report screen on controller will have touch capability.

Additional sources informed IGN the screen has touch capability.

EDIT 5: CVG reports all new controller with built-in HD screen.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

EDIT 4: Jim Reilly tweets that it will do 1080p. IGN article updated again

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58622803158642688

EDIT 3: IGN updates article stating it to be significantly more powerful than X360/PS3

Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

EDIT 2: BC with Wii games. Pre-announcement this month with full details at E3

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

Multiple sources have confirmed to Game Informer that Nintendo will reveal a new console between now and E3 2011 in June.

Game Informer's sources say the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions," though it is unclear whether not it will be as powerful as Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Our sources have said the console's power will be greater than or equal to the PlayStation 3. Nintendo is reportedly showing the console to publishers to garner interest for a late 2012 launch.

Sources tell IGN that Nintendo will release a pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3. Sources say the console will be backwards compatible with current Wii software.

EDIT: Kotaku reports more powerful than X360/PS3

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

ORIGINAL OP

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may imply about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

Penguin

For release in late 2012...

And people were surprised at the launch of the Wii? Wasn't it shown like 18 months in advance, and controller like a year?

newjeruse

If the late 2012 launch is true and if the speculation that it's at our around the power of current HD consoles, that's very disappointing news.

That's a lot of "if's" though.

YES!! Taking days off for the E3 conferences, confirmed. :) I love all this announcement stuff. :)

Edit: ESPECIALLY because it's awesome to see what sort of crazy ideas will come forth. Watching the DS unveiling by Reggie was super sweet.

mjc

Make it even slightly stronger than PS3/360 and I'll be content. The HD is my biggest desire atm.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wasn't paying much heed to these rumours, but this is starting to sound more solid.

Not sure what the strategy is here though, unless it blows PS3/360 out of the water graphically or has some new 'trick' up its sleeve (but it doesn't really sound like it from one of the sources they quote?).

If it's just PS3/360-ballpark graphics...umm...nice, but I'd have preferred this in Wii, Nintendo. I feel like I'd be buying two systems to get the single lifecycle I wanted.

MicH

Sounds pretty plausible. Late 2012 would be my guess as well, so yeah. Can't wait to see what happens at E3, it could very likely be big.

snackman

Banned
Problem is PS3 will be $200 by then NGP will be out market saturation coming. Better hope Xbox dont release another one around then too.

Mr_Brit said:
Sounds like Wii level graphics but in HD, disappointing.

Yes he was.
Sounds like? There is no info whtsoever to know this. It will be HD, which is a given because miyamoto said as much years ago.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They've been saying this for the last three years. We all know they are working on it, and I'm sure the tech leap will be like DS to 3DS. A big improvement but not cutting edge.

Oh yeah, if it's coming out in late 2012, I don't see how the graphics would be worse than the 360/PS3. Even though the Wii was a huge success, it missed out on a lot of games because of the graphics, which sucks. Atleast it's good to know that with the 3DS, and this new Wii, that Nintendo is trying really hard to get good relations with 3rd parties again.

Mrbob said:
Nintendo better not half ass this. Best be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360.

A quad core, a 4870, and 2GB of RAM would be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360. They would have to actively try to search for outdated off the shelf hardware at this point to make it perform worse.

So assuming this is the next generation of Nintendo console (and not a DSi-style incremental revision of the Wii), then isn't HD is a given?

What I'm more interested in, is what its hook is going to be. Two screens -> Motion controls -> 3D without glasses -> ???

The successes of this model must be part of their planning. Unfortunately, I lack the imagination to even guess what their next unique mystery feature (and focal selling point) could be.

What's the point in being a HD console if it doesn't even match the 360 and PS3 - two very aging systems that are in desperate need for an update?

Err... I mean, I'm sure the games will still look nice, but fuck, graphics do matter to a certain degree, Nintendo...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I need to pester some people that may break some NDA's lol

They will need to have something extra though, a Wii HD is basically a PS# and that aint gonna cut it.

I'm perfectly okay with it being equivalent to the 360/PS3. I know it will have b/c, so I'd also love to see it upscaling current Wii games to HD, kind of like that Dolphin peripheral.

And it NEEDS a hard drive.

kswiston

Wii successor launching in Late 2012 is a no brainer. If they make the console backwards compatible with Wii games, they can release Dragon Quest X at around the same time to make up for the inevitably weak launch line up. If I remember correctly, a lot of gamers just played Final Fantasy IX and Dragon Quest VII on their PS2s during the somewhat barren post-launch period.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I knew it. No way they wouldn't at least announce it at this E3.

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may infer about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

This is interesting. Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but Nintendo has to have some new innovation/"gimmick" in the new console considering both Reggie and Iwata have stated countless amounts of times that the Wii 2 will NOT be just an HD update.

My bet is still on built-in Vitality Sensor for the controllers.

birdchili

it needs some edge over 360/ps3 or they're going to be in a world of hurt in 201x when ms/sony release a new system (ok... not a world of hurt, but they'd be in a similarly awkward position in terms of ports of new games).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The_Technomancer said:
Pachter validated?

For stating the obvious years in advance?

Heres one, in 3 years you will see the next Microsoft game system.

newjeruse

Mama Robotnik said:
Unfortunately, I lack the imagination to even guess what their next unique feature could be,
If the 3DS is any hint, I fear Nintendo lacks that imagination as well. And that pains me to say. I really hope this isn't just an HD/3D Wii.

snesfreak

Banned
Cool, E3 can't come soon enough.
Gamer @ Heart said:
Sounds like? There is no info whtsoever to know this. It will be HD, which is a given because miyamoto said as much years ago.
Obviously it's gonna be sub-wii graphics but in HD.
/sarcasm
For those people with broken sarcasm detectors

Raide

Unless it is 100% bc, it will be tough to convince people that a HD Wii is what you want. I don't see it being anything more drastically different than a HD Wii, since then Nintendo has to start all again getting people to buy Wii HD Sports.

Branduil

Some of you guys are acting silly. At this point in time it won't be any more expensive to make a system much more powerful than the 360/PS3 than one less powerful.

birdchili

"It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console ."

now *that* would be an interesting strategy... kind-of crazy... but interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom