• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternative Cell Phone Service Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to cut down on my monthly expenses, and I've been checking out various alternative cell service providers. Ting.com, Virgin Mobile, and Cricket, as well as the month-to-month plans on AT&T and T-Mobile. I want to get an Android phone, the best I can get, and still have a low rate.

Right now, the two choices I am looking at are the Samsung Galaxy SII on Ting, which would net me about $435 (special for the white one going on now) and $36 a month, and the HTC Evo V on Virgin Mobile, which is $299 plus $35 a month.

Any thoughts, Gaf? Is there a better way out there?

I'm not looking for an iPhone, so don't suggest that on Virgin.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have Virgin Mobile. Costs me 37$ a month for 300 minutes, unlimited data and text. I had to pay like 300 up front though for a Triumph phone but its worth it to save. But im not a huge phone person. Network and coverage isnt the most amazing. Calls are reliable but data can be spotty.

linkboy

I'm thinking about making the switch to prepaid when I get back from my upcoming deployment.

The wife and I are paying close to $200 a month between our two phones, I'd love to cut that down.

Right. My bill for two smartphones is $150 a month. It's just ridiculous. I was contemplating going completely dumb with my phone, but I use GPS almost every day and need that Google Maps and Navigation feature. Otherwise, I'm around Wi-Fi almost all the time.

Does Virgin use Sprint's network? Because I'm on Sprint now, and it's generally very good here.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Right. My bill for two smartphones is $150 a month. It's just ridiculous. I was contemplating going completely dumb with my phone, but I use GPS almost every day and need that Google Maps and Navigation feature. Otherwise, I'm around Wi-Fi almost all the time.

Does Virgin use Sprint's network? Because I'm on Sprint now, and it's generally very good here.

Yes it uses sprint.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy Nexus($350) and simple mobile/simpletalk/tmo/gsm local prepaid services. ($30-$45 per month)

why must you have an android/smartphone?

I believe I wrote in the OP that I use the gps on a daily basis. Plus, I enjoy using one; I like being able to do work and answer email on the go, as well as browse Gaf while my gf shops at the mall.

I did contemplate going dumb (as I said in the OP), but the benefits of having a smartphone outweigh the extra $15 or so I would save a month.

Also, looking into Straighttalk and the like to go with a Galaxy Nexus. Thanks y'all.

Ceebs

I have an older iPhone 3G I am still using with AT&T. Is there any way I could switch it over to one of the prepaid carriers to cut down on the bill without having to go buy a new phone?

Magni

I'm waiting for my T-Mo SIM card to be delivered and my Galaxy Nexus to be shipped right now. $400 for the Nexus (including tax and shipping) and then $30 a month for unlimited data/text and 100 minutes.

I'm waiting for my T-Mo SIM card to be delivered and my Galaxy Nexus to be shipped right now. $400 for the Nexus (including tax and shipping) and then $30 a month for unlimited data/text and 100 minutes.

That sounds good, too. Damn.

Wait, where is this $30/month? I'm not seeing it on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom