• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Phil Harrison:
Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Eusis

Can't even streamline the damn process and read the code off the disc? Though I guess it'd be easier to fix a bad paper code than a bad disc code.

It'd be funny if that extra step is what actually kills the Xbox for mainstream though.
Sounds like Steam without none of advantages inherent to the PC platform.
Well, you presumably/hopefully get one (the ability to freely redownload your game), but none of the rest, and even then that set up was because the PC was absurdly easy to crack software on so SOMETHING had to be done, here it's just plain old greed on a system that should be secure.

dc89

He says I have permission to play the game as long as I like? Jumping through hoops and the rest of it? I'd kinda fucking hope so Phil.

DR3AM

this is fucking bullshit

how will it work for my cousin if his doesn't have his xbox connected?

Brashnir

Yeah, I'm remembering why I took a long break from PC gaming 10-15 years ago now.... This shit sucks. It has always sucked.

If you're not going to make up with your DRM to me by at least offering me convenience and great prices like Steam, you can fuck right off with it.

Nice knowing you, Xbox Brand. Enjoy your irrelevance.

AkuMifune

Banned
lando-vader-boba.png

dorkimoe

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said

still can get used games, they are just making their own market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom