• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
moonspeak said:
Well if the guy on that stream is any indication at how people have/will progress(ed) I can safely say we won't have to worry about end-game spoilers any time soon :F

I'll have to agree there.

Any streams still up?

Guess not, I'll just watch the archives for now.

Must have missed a lot since there's been a huge influx of folks to the thread!

worldrevolution said:
Wait..what? I think you misunderstood my post. Me going to that thread is pointless for me now. One, because I completed the game years ago and there are people in there just now first experiencing it. And two, there are tons of people in there now unlike back when we were first getting into Demon's Souls 2 years ago. It's not an elitism thing at all. Just saying we didn't have that giant of a community back then. Sorry if it came off like that, but I'm not even sure what sort of elitism that was supposed to be..I posted in a thread before you? Uh..right..

I know what you mean man, but it's so good to see the game still getting that kind of attention. I remember the first few weeks of the original OT. Great times and it got better when more people gave it a chance. Anyway...

The_Monk

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'll have to agree there.

Any streams still up?

Guess not, I'll just watch the archives for now.

Must have missed a lot since there's been a huge influx of folks to the thread!

Yep.

I would recommend to watch bits of the stream here and there, instead all of it.

Some amazing Boss fights there too.

The_Monk said:
Yep.

I would recommend to watch bits of the stream here and there, instead all of it.

Awesome, thanks. I'll do just that.

Some of the reactions ITT, great shit. How many people are truly ready? I don't know if I am after watching some of this!

Gotta say, running animations look amazing this time around. The subtle changes are refreshing.

Dunan

worldrevolution said:
In other news, typhoon season is owning us here. Just got a call from work to come in whenever. Dark Souls is clearly bringing it's chaos upon Japan now. I'll use the time to read more on the Livejournal.

I just bicycled home in this mess!

Herla

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Some of the reactions ITT, great shit. How many people are truly ready? I don't know if I am after watching some of this!

I just hope a lot of good people will write useful messages in the game. There's some scary stuff around...

Herla said:
I just hope a lot of good people will write useful messages in the game. There's some scary stuff around...

Yea, I know what you mean. People were pretty good about it, so we'll see what happens in this game.

I'm starting to go mad from the wait!

Character creation music = so damn peaceful.

Orayn

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Ready as I'll ever be, the hard part will be keeping myself busy and not spoiling too much of the game in the coming two weeks. I suppose I'll try to pre-occupy myself with the new Magic set and accompanying pre-release tournament this week...

The_Monk

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

Gotta say, running animations look amazing this time around. The subtle changes are refreshing.

I agree, the environments look great, I remember that it took me around 10 months (because I was slow, and played other games) to finish DS. 60 Hours, 41% of the trophies and I'm more than happy.

I had this pre-ordered for the PS3 since May and I know that I'm not ready but the game seems great and I feel that we have to suport people that makes a game so unique. Plus, we get a nice Limited Ed. And...well it's Dark Souls.

I was never ready, I've been saying that I need my GAFfers to walk with me along the journey. Too dark there...

Orayn said:
Ready as I'll ever be, the hard part will be keeping myself busy and not spoiling too much of the game in the coming two weeks. I suppose I'll try to pre-occupy myself with the new Magic set and accompanying pre-release tournament this week...

Oh man, it will be rough, but will pay off in the end I'm sure. I probably won't get a full on "experience" until the English copy comes out as well; I am really looking forward to the loading screens, and the information laid out in them, as weird as that sounds. Stuff like that just really ropes me in.

The_Monk said:
I agree, the environments look great, I remember that it took me around 10 months (because I was slow, and played other games) to finish DS. 60 Hours, 41% of the trophies and I'm more than happy.

I had this pre-ordered for the PS3 since May and I know that I'm not ready but the game seems great and I feel that we have to suport people that makes a game so unique. Plus, we get a nice Limited Ed. And...well it's Dark Souls.

I was never ready, I've been saying that I need my GAFfers to walk with me along the journey. Too dark there...

DeSo for me was much more when I wasn't concerned with trophies, so I know what you mean. As soon as I got wrapped up in trying to get the more frustrating ones, my interest began to wane because I usually don't play the games for that sort of experience. That's the great thing about the GAF DeSo community, and the DaSo community will no doubt be the same - we were always wiling to help each other. Can't tell you how many co-op games I ran, and all the information sharing.

Really looking forward to it GAF, FROMSoft GAF is the best out there.

The_Monk

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
DeSo for me was much more when I wasn't concerned with trophies, so I know what you mean. As soon as I got wrapped up in trying to get the more frustrating ones, my interest began to wane because I usually don't play the games for that sort of experience. That's the great thing about the GAF DeSo community, and the DaSo community will no doubt be the same - we were always wiling to help each other. Can't tell you how many co-op games I ran, and all the information sharing.

Really looking forward to it GAF, FROMSoft GAF is the best out there.

I never play for trophies. I play games and that's it. Yeah, I'm really hoping some great messages on the floor, the community has been great so far.

:)

Herla

Speaking of the messages, I caught a glimpse of the system during the stream and it seemed way more complex (there were more choices and not just phrase+word, or something similar).
Did they explain how it works at some point?

kyubajin

The_Monk said:
I never play for trophies. I play games and that's it. Yeah, I'm really hoping some great messages on the floor, the community has been great so far.

:)
I never play for trophies either (1 platinum so far) but for some reason platinum DS legit has become an obsession, some sort of pride-driven challenge I have to conquer, yet those damned lizards are a pain in the arse :(

Also, nobody else puzzled by my earlier post talking about how are we gonna name the levels in DkS?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dunan said:
I just bicycled home in this mess!

Late night out? I have to drive to work in this mess..hopefully tomorrow isn't so bad. Probably pick up DaSo around noon but won't play it till the night. Maybe I'll take pictures of the disc/case..regular edition..I know.. exciting.

Orayn

jett said:
What's with the everchanging title of this thread
First one was an anagram of "DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE" with two extra letters, not enough people got it.
Second one was a quote from one of the trailers, which relatively few people had seen.
Current one is Zeal's idea, just barely edging out the other proposal, "Dark Souls |OT| Afterlife Support Group," in popularity.

kyubajin said:
I never play for trophies either (1 platinum so far) but for some reason platinum DS legit has become an obsession, some sort of pride-driven challenge I have to conquer, yet those damned lizards are a pain in the arse :(

Also, nobody else puzzled by my earlier post talking about how are we gonna name the levels in DkS?

I think when you enter a new area, a title pops up. Each area is an extension of that area. Maybe just number the bonfires like A1, B1, etc etc

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
worldrevolution said:
We need Dark Souls forum avatars!

Yep.

Here is the template:

Forgotten20Grave20Stones.jpg

Place avatar on gravestone. Done:p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The_Monk said:
I play games and that's it. Yeah, I'm really hoping some great messages on the floor, the community has been great so far.

Oh, I'll be leaving lots of messages. ;) As I did in Demon's Souls, I'll be posting many cliff-side messages saying "there is hidden treasure down here!". I look forward to indirectly causing many deaths.

The_Monk said:
Yep.

Just did, the hype was through the roof on that stream, thanks for the link!
I felt so bad for the player when he died to the boss after taking him down to 1% life. Just needed one more hit but he started panicking. Glad he eventually killed it though.

From that stream, the game does look harder than Demon's Souls, which is a good thing. Mobs seem to be sneakier and have more moves at their disposal. Can't wait for the retail release!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I loved the trick messages..treasure over here type stuff and boom trap. I had known about the redeyed night beforehand so when I got to there and saw the messages it made me smile.

Zeal

Banned
Man, the overall look and animation of the characters is freaking amazing. Everything is so vibrant and detailed, but still looks like an extremely polished and refined demons souls. The sound design is especially better this time. You can really 'feel' and hear the weight of the knight's armor.

This is just going to be a hardcore gamers dream. Hurry the he'll up friday.

Raide

I seriously have to stop watching streams of this. I pick a 2 month holiday just when some of the most awesome games are coming out. How I am supposed to survive? I hope loads of you are still playing/dying when I get back. :D

worldrevolution said:
I WILL NOT WATCH THE STREAM

Do it!

Zeal said:
Man, the overall look and animation of the characters is freaking amazing. Everything is so vibrant and detailed, but still looks like an extremely polished and refined demons souls. The sound design is especially better this time. You can really 'feel' and hear the weight of the knight's armor.

This is just going to be a hardcore gamers dream. Hurry the he'll up friday.

Exactly how I feel, amazing improvements.

Dunan

worldrevolution said:
Late night out? I have to drive to work in this mess..hopefully tomorrow isn't so bad. Probably pick up DaSo around noon but won't play it till the night. Maybe I'll take pictures of the disc/case..regular edition..I know.. exciting.

Nah; I work US hours so I finish at 4-5 AM. If you're driving I imagine you're far from the big cities?

It's a good thing I've got so much to keep me busy or I'd be picking this game up as well. As it is I'll wait to pick up my US edition when I'm back there a month from now.

But I really want to play it now!

I'm an expert

Dunan said:
Nah; I work US hours so I finish at 4-5 AM. If you're driving I imagine you're far from the big cities?

It's a good thing I've got so much to keep me busy or I'd be picking this game up as well. As it is I'll wait to pick up my US edition when I'm back there a month from now.

But I really want to play it now!

Not so big. My plan was to have it shipped from the US as well but this thread pretty much forced me to man up and get it immediately.

worldrevolution said:
Not so big. My plan was to have it shipped from the US as well but this thread pretty much forced me to man up and get it immediately.

A job well done :D

Man, if I could be at a Japanese shop on release date, that'd be great.

I'm an expert

Haha..it won't be anything too exciting. Random Geo in the city..walk in at lunch..pick it up..back to work. Like I said to kill the excitement I'll probably upload some unboxing pictures..of the regular edition!!

worldrevolution said:
Haha..it won't be anything too exciting. Random Geo in the city..walk in at lunch..pick it up..back to work. Like I said to kill the excitement I'll probably upload some unboxing pictures..of the regular edition!!

Hey, may not be exciting to you, but I've never been to Japan :)

Yea, doesn't sound all that exciting haha...

The_Monk

Snuggler said:
Oh, I'll be leaving lots of messages. ;) As I did in Demon's Souls, I'll be posting many cliff-side messages saying "there is hidden treasure down here!". I look forward to indirectly causing many deaths.

Hunpf..! I won't fall for that (see what I did there?)

Snuggler your cat was never the same since it got static... =/

BlindCommunication: Yeah poor guy was getting the nerves hit him...

worldrevolution Hunf, you won't trick me either!

I'm a good man, my messages will be always to help!

I'm an expert

Ah, if you mean it like that then yeah, I guess on this forum especially Japan holds a certain sparkle. Not that amazing once the honeymoon period is over. At least now she's giving me Dark Souls a few weeks early. /pats Japan on the head

I'm an expert

Can people who leave bad messages be badlisted too? Or only invaders?

worldrevolution said:
Ah, if you mean it like that then yeah, I guess on this forum especially Japan holds a certain sparkle. Not that amazing once the honeymoon period is over. At least now she's giving me Dark Souls a few weeks early. /pats Japan on the head

Oh no doubt, and I'm not crazy about that stuff. Happened to me when I moved to NYC. Not the same as visiting, I'm sure.

Stream archives make me want to lose it. Want my copy!

kyubajin said:
Btw, anyone here helps with the DkS wiki? I've pre-ordered the hardcover guide so I'd love to contribute to it.

Which one? I helped build up the Wikidot one and am still a moderator at it; I think I'll be brought in as a Moderator to the wiki for their new one, but haven't talked to the head guy in a while about it.

Right now Wikispaces has more info and will have the most info because it will be directly translated from the JPN Livedoor wiki, and since the game is coming out in a few days. Well that explains it. Wikidot is working with Namco so they are bound by some agreement and can't get it up and running until release I assume.

The_Monk

brandonh83 said:
A little late on the reply, but thanks. :)

No problem. ;)

Oh man, I almost forgot! I'm thinking of getting the Dark Souls The Official Guide, it's not that expensive and it have 400 pages. You guys think it's worth it? I know that the CE comes with some digital guide, but will be the same, is this one better?

I need opinions!

Orayn

The_Monk said:
No problem. ;)

Oh man, I almost forgot! I'm thinking of getting the Dark Souls The Official Guide, it's not that expensive and it have 400 pages. You guys think it's worth it? I know that the CE comes with some digital guide, but will be the same, is this one better?

I need opinions!
The American version of that guide is currently called a "mini-guide," so I'm guessing it draws from the same source but doesn't have as much content.
In Europe, it's just a "guide," so it's anyone's guess.

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Which one? I helped build up the Wikidot one and am still a moderator at it; I think I'll be brought in as a Moderator to the wiki for their new one, but haven't talked to the head guy in a while about it.

Right now Wikispaces has more info and will have the most info because it will be directly translated from the JPN Livedoor wiki, and since the game is coming out in a few days. Well that explains it. Wikidot is working with Namco so they are bound by some agreement and can't get it up and running until release I assume.
Oh, amazing! The original DS wiki is one of my favourite communities ever! I would love to contribute to the DkS with my own experience and the info from the hardcover guide, I could also help translate from the Japanese site if yoy guys need any more help.

Zeth

Watched the first hour of gameplay. Wow.

This is why gaming is my hobby. This is what I live for. The sense of isolation and fear as you tread through dangerous areas and the accomplishment that comes with repeated trial and error. I love you, From. Thank you for making this game.

I would've settled with Demons Souls with more content but they gave us a brand new game, I love it!

edit: The new quick select for putting stuff on your d-pad is AWESOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom