• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mentioned this during Secret Empire and was told that it wasn't true. It's so confusing. His Logan, Frank Castle, Hawkeye, Sam Wilson are all the same.

Yep they all look alike, I only know who's who by a costume or if someone says their name to them

FFS why does Sorrentino draw every man the same? It's so boring and confusing.

This splash page is so similar to others he has done in the likes of OML

...I was just about to ask why Clint and OML were on the same splash page and when did OML join Hydra before reading on.

Lashley

When did Green Arrow become Cap?

I knew he did an archer but I was raking my head thinking it was Clint, now I know

In Omega you can literally tell the second the other artist takes over because people actually look different. It's nice.

BC:
Waid also plans to tell stories in Champions about fighting against racism that ultimately leads to the Champions joining back with the Avengers that they had spun off of.
So...is this about the crossover or is the book ending?

Lashley

I will say I like Sorrento especially his fight scenes

But I agree his characters tend to look alike

Other than the faces and sometimes his action scenes feeling a little too busy and hard to follow, I don't mind Sorrentino

Sandfox

BC:

So...is this about the crossover or is the book ending?

The crossover is about Counter-Earth, so I doubt it's that lol.

During Q&A, a fan shared with Mark Waid that he walked away from Marvel five years ago, due to reboots and restarts, he asked how does Legacy fit in. Breevort said many people feel as though Marvel just hadn’t been feeling right in general for many things Marvel. Legacy, in his opinion, is trying to get over the overcorrection over the last few years. Breevort then pulled $6 from his wallet gave it to the fan that asked the question and told him to buy Marvel Legacy #1 and give it a try.
That's pretty cool.

Messi

I knew he did an archer but I was raking my head thinking it was Clint, now I know

In Omega you can literally tell the second the other artist takes over because people actually look different. It's nice.

His Hawkeye and Green Arrow look the same too.

VanWinkle

FFS why does Sorrentino draw every man the same? It's so boring and confusing.

This splash page is so similar to others he has done in the likes of OML

Wow that's bizarre how much it looks like Oliver Queen from his GA run. It's that blond hair in that exact same hair style.

On the whole, though, I LOVE Sorrentino's art. I was regularly blown away while reading the GA run.

caliph95

Speaking of Glitterbomb

I keep thinking it's probably being misleading
and the new host of the monster being either the friend or the detective not the babysitter

Yup those are some J Scott ass J Scott covers...
vYgPmI8.gif

Kirby's Mister Miracle is some dam fine comics. His handling of Barda is surprisingly, very Feminists? It's not as problematic as I feared it would be for a comic in the 70s.

VanWinkle

Kirby's Mister Miracle is some dam fine comics. His handling of Barda is surprisingly, very Feminists? It's not as problematic as I feared it would be for a comic in the 70s.

That's definitely the thing I'm most excited to read in the Fourth World Omnibus. Looking forward to it.

Aizo

Banned
The principles are there. I have never been there but it matches up with the other comics I've read about Japan. Wayward and such.
Really? As someone who studied the culture for years and lives in Japan, so many writers are way off. Wayward is the only one that seems to have any education on real Japan, but that writer still falls into using a lot of the same cliches. Japan is so often used as just a surface level thing. Ninja! Samurai! Sushi! Honor! Anime! Cute stuff! Nobody ever really tries to show legit Japan, and I think that's sad. Most of the time it comes off as fetishistic, which is crazy prevalent. I've met so many gross white dudes that come to Japan and straight up tell me they came because they wanna get with J girls. I get that same message from a lot of western media depicting Japanese subjects.
Edit:
They should leave him there
You're on my bad side today, buddy.

Read the first issue of Tokyo Ghost and not feeling it at all. The dialogue just feels weird. Maybe I should just stop trying with Remender.
But then you read an issue of Deadly Class, Black Science, Low, or Seven to Eternity that drops a huge bomb and your back in.
Really? As someone who studied the culture for years and lives in Japan, so many writers are way off. Wayward is the only one that seems to have any education on real Japan, but that writer still falls into using a lot of the same cliches. Japan is so often used as just a surface level thing. Ninja! Samurai! Sushi! Honor! Anime! Cute stuff! Nobody ever really tries to show legit Japan, and I think that's sad. Most of the time it comes off as fetishistic, which is crazy prevalent. I've met so many gross white dudes that come to Japan and straight up tell me they came because they wanna get with J girls. I get that same message from a lot of western media depicting Japanese subjects.
I'm curious, what's your opinion on today's young new artists who's art is clearly inspired by their favorite Japanese manga artist? Someone like Babs Tarr loves to invoke a lot of Japanese anime into her art.

Aizo

Banned
I'm curious, what's your opinion on today's young new artists who's art is clearly inspired by their favorite Japanese manga artist? Someone like Babs Tarr loves to invoke a lot of Japanese anime into her art.
That's perfectly fine to me. I could see one of my Japanese friends that hates everything yelling cultural appropriation, but I don't believe that at all. What would bother me in the art department would be designing a modern Japanese female character as a geisha or wearing traditional Japanese clothing (when it's not a special event). That comes off as stupid to me.

My problems typically rise from the writing department rather than the art. For the story and characters to be influenced by manga, too, can be really cool. If a Westerner wants to do the research and do a traditional samurai manga that's like historical fiction, that could potentially be awesome. You want to have Japanese traditional monsters or spirits in your comic as part of a mythological pantheon? Sweet! Your comic takes place in modern New York, and the Yakuza come in with traditional Japanese swords? You're dumb.

It's about not cheapening the subject matter. If the writer and artist come in with respect and want to use Japanese culture, I think that can be really fun. If they want it to just be shallow COOL JAPAN!!! or fetishizing Japanese women as servile or exotic, then I find that to be really lame.

That's perfectly fine to me. I could see one of my Japanese friends that hates everything yelling cultural appropriation, but I don't believe that at all. What would bother me in the art department would be designing a modern Japanese female character as a geisha or wearing traditional Japanese clothing (when it's not a special event). That comes off as stupid to me.

My problems typically rise from the writing department rather than the art. For the story and characters to be influenced by manga, too, can be really cool. If a Westerner wants to do the research and do a traditional samurai manga that's like historical fiction, that could potentially be awesome. You want to have Japanese traditional monsters or spirits in your comic as part of a mythological pantheon? Sweet! Your comic takes place in modern New York, and the Yakuza come in with traditional Japanese swords? You're dumb.

It's about not cheapening the subject matter. If the writer and artist come in with respect and want to use Japanese culture, I think that can be really fun. If they want it to just be shallow COOL JAPAN!!! or fetishizing Japanese women as servile or exotic, then I find that to be really lame.
Another question, have you seen Jaden Smith's new anime? lol

Aizo

Banned
Another question, have you seen Jaden Smith's new anime? lol
I have not. Haha. It looks absolutely insane from the trailer, though. I don't typically like anime and I can't stand awkward voice acting, so I probably need to stay away unless I'm watching it with friends after a couple drinks.

Can I just say that B&R Eternal has garnered me a much more enhanced appreciation for Jason Todd. He's just so much fun, but you can still feel that darkness that sets him apart from the rest of the Bat family.
So in metal #2 how the hell do they have
anti monitors brain?!
I'd assume
Darkseid War.

List!

Batman The Murder Machine #1
ROM #13
TMNT #74
Black Magick #8
Black Monday Murders #7
Saga #47
Thanos #11
Hi-Fi Fight Club #2
War Mother #2
XO Manowar #7

Sandfox

Tom Taylor is working on a new Marvel project with an "incredible artist". All-New Wolverine and Injustice are great so I'm excited to see what he does next.

I thought that Milestone news was gonna be bigger than it was ;(

Already happened?

Edit:

Young Animal panel.

Mike Wieringo Comic Book Industry Awards:
Fan Favorites:
Favorite Hero: Cash Wayne (Spectrum)
Favorite Villain: Arlo (unOrdinary)
Favorite New Series: Spectrum
Favorite New Talent: InstantMiso

Jury and Fan Winners:
Best Cover Artist: Frank Cho
Best Series: Vision, Marvel Comics
Best Letterer: Todd Klein
Best Colorist: Laura Martin
Best Humor Comic: I Hate Fairyland, Image Comics
Best Original Graphic Novel: March: Book III, Top Shelf Productions
Best Comic Strip or Panel: Bloom County, Berkeley Breathed, Universal Uclick
Best Single Issue or Story: Emancipation Day,
Mike Wieringo Spirit Award: Future Quest #1, DC Comics
Best Anthology: Love is Love, DC Comics/IDW Publishing
Best Non-fiction Comic Work: March: Book Three, Top Shelf Productions
Best Presentation in Design: Mike Mignola's Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects: Artist's Edition Hardcover, IDW Publishing
Best Webcomic: The Red Hook, Dean Haspiel
Best Inker: Sean Murphy
Best Writer: Tom King
Best Artist or Penciller: Fiona Staples
Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist): Skottie Young

Hero Initiative Awards:
Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Award: Joshua Dysart
Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Marv Wolfman

^^^
I didn't know Wieringo had awards named after him, that's great, I really mis him. My favorite artist as a kid.

Random question: I just read Spectacular Spider-Man #4, great issue, but who is Kid Uatu? Is he Uatu reincarnated? And if so, when did that happen? I know Uatu was killed a while ago but that's pretty much it.

^^^
I didn't know Wieringo had awards named after him, that's great, I really mis him. My favorite artist as a kid.

Random question: I just read Spectacular Spider-Man #4, great issue, but who is Kid Uatu? Is he Uatu reincarnated? And if so, when did that happen? I know Uatu was killed a while ago but that's pretty much it.

Just a dude named that by his parents who were F4 fans IIRC. Think he was introduced before Spider-Island.

Next parody page:

Top Bottom