• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity V (2013, EA/Maxis) - screens/artwork [Up: Details, Should Be More March 6th]

Oppo

Will play at a high resolution.

The Mac should get it first, since you really have to be devoted to get 4 to run these days. they deserve it. :)

awww-yeah.jpg

ToxicAdam

At this stage does it make any sense at all a Wii release over WiiU, that's coming out allegedly by the end of 2012?

Isn't this game due next year?
By then Wii may be already discontinued for all we know.

It's not uncommon for EA to still support consoles past their expiration date. They still want to reach the widest audience possible and the Wii will be biggest userbase for years and years to come.

There are times when I believe the "PC gaming is dead/dying" hype, and I just say "Eh. I've always liked my consoles better anyway." But then something like this is announced, and I think, "Man, how misguided was I?"

I know I'll likely be getting this Day 1. Assuming it's 3D, I can't freaking wait for a full 3D Sim City game. Then add on the driving/flying from Sim City 4 Rush Hour, and you have close to the best game ever right there. Seriously.

Suairyu

Banned
At this stage does it make any sense at all a Wii release over WiiU, that's coming out allegedly by the end of 2012?

Isn't this game due next year?
By then Wii may be already discontinued for all we know.
Oh god I bet you're one of those "the DS is a dead platform releasing a new Pokémon game on it doesn't make sense!!!" guys.

If there are still enough customers on a platform, a publisher will make a game for it. Just because a new console is released doesn't mean everyone instantly switches.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I find this ecstatically interesting. The most recent edition in the series, SimCity Societies, received mixed or average reviews and I personally don't consider it that amusing. SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 however are great games, and if this upcoming game is anything like that, we're in for a real treat.

Now, there's of course Cities XL from Monte Cristo to choose, but it doesn't have the same appeal as SimCity, though it looks good and provides many options for how you want to form your city.

judhudson

Only question is what took so long? Was Simcity 4 not that successful?

Will moved on from The Sims to start working on Spore, and wherever he goes, Maxis goes with him. So they worked on Spore. He then left EA/Maxis and they jumped shipped to focus on Darkspore. Now they've returned to their roots (without Will, as he's venturing personal projects and his Stupid Fun Club).

As for SimCity Societies, please do not associate that with Maxis. :) EA contracted out Tilted Mills to work on that....unpleasant game that is not deserving of the SimCity title. The only connection is that EA allowed them to call it SimCity. Bleh.

I like Sim City and all, but I haven't dug the more realistic art for quite some time now. The more realistic look lacks the charm of the earlier games.

That said, I'm still buying unless it's a really horrible game.

injurai

Banned
It looks pretty amazing from those screens. I hope it looks like it, that art deco building is slick.

EDIT: Damn, it'll be Origin exclusive. Looks like my hold out is done.

NOOO dammit. I swear I just don't want to even touch origin (don't try to convince me rawr)

Will the retail version require origin too? I really hope not.

Guys.... you need to see the fucking grin on my face right now.
Good job, Maxis.

Come on Atari, just tell us RCT4 for PC is on the works and will fucking die of excitement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this going to be shackled to origin though? I'll wait before I let myself get excited.
Of course.

This is how EA powers all their cross platform functionality.

I have to assume this will plug be able to scrape data from the Facebook game and presumably some kind of iOS product.

jman2050

Yesssssssss

I recently reinstalled simcity 4 and fell in love with it all over again. Improving region play needs to be one of the first priorities for this game.

Shambles

Of course.

This is how EA powers all their cross platform functionality.

I have to assume this will plug be able to scrape data from the Facebook game and presumably some kind of iOS product.

God dammit. Looking up Maxis they're owned by EA so this is going to be yet another Origin turd I pass up on. Oh well, plenty of other great games coming out to consume all my free time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
God dammit. Looking up Maxis they're owned by EA so this is going to be yet another Origin turd I pass up on. Oh well, plenty of other great games coming out to consume all my free time.

They're a multistudio label these days between Emeryville (the original), Redwood Shores, and Utah.

TedNindo

I'm hoping they keep the complexity but make it more accessible? Or offer an easier mode that offers less micromanagement.

Because I loved the complexity of Sim City 4 even though it had its flaws. But the community for this game is still very much alive. I'm sure that if they targetted the game towards a niche audience that they would still turn a profit.

Anyway I love the series. And I've been waiting for a new Sim City game for years. Only a few months back there was a thread about it.

Ranger X

As long as it's a REAL SimCity like 3 and 4 and not the dog shit that came out in the last years....

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

donarumo

Neo Member
ExciteHype Meter went from 0 to 11 instantly.

Joining Sim City V defense force now and working on my promotion to Sgt.

Some day in 2013 can't come soon enough!!!!

plc268

It look so beautiful but I am afraid that those pictures are from Sim City 5 introduction. not the game itself.

I don't see why they couldn't. Look up Cities XL 2012. The game's not that great, but it looks gorgeous. If that game is capable of great graphics, I don't see why SimCity 5 can't be.

Top Bottom