• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R uses in-game currency to continue

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Really bizarre for a non-F2P game but it seems in order to continue in Super Bomberman R on Switch you need to spend some kind of ingame currency. They stressed that you can earn it though normal gameplay but I wonder what the possibility of running out and it becoming frustrating without buying more via real money would be?

It really shouldn't surprise anyone if Konami is trying to monetise this though..

Image stolen from Wario64's twitter.

M7AVuqV.jpg

Regiruler

This was discussed in the thread itself I believe.

We do not know if the currency is tied to microtransactions or not.

It's like all the most misguided concepts in the industry over the last 10 years are being distilled into this console.

mebizzle

The optimist in me is hoping this is just lives with a different name.

Then I remember what a monster Konami is.

killroy87

It's not to continue accessing the game, it's just to continue playing without starting over.

You earn coins in Mario to gain more lives, you earn gems here to spend on continues. It really seems like the same thing to me.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I imagine this is one of those "pay-2-win" types of situations... Reminds me of the NBA2K series. "OH MY GOD LOOK AT ALL THE VC MICRO TRANSACTIONS" Despite the fact that you literally never need to purchase anything to progress through any part of the game normally. Sure, it's predatory and kinda shitty, but at least I can keep playing the way I always have and avoid it.

I hope.

Eusis

It's not to continue accessing the game, it's just to continue playing without starting over.

You earn coins in Mario to gain more lives, you earn gems here to spend on continues. It really seems like the same thing to me.
Well, we have to see how it works, if you can buy them, etc. Toad Rally tickets in Super Mario Run scream micro transaction yet you can't actually buy them.

AsakuraZ

Yeah wasn't this already discussed? Even in the video they mention you earn the points through gameplay and is used to purchase cosmetic outfits for your characters.

A game having a in-game currency system doesn't equal monetization.

Fuck this game if true.

Also, Fuck Konami

Yeah wasn't this already discussed? Even in the video they mention you earn the points through gameplay and is used to purchase cosmetic outfits for your characters.

A game having a in-game currency system doesn't equal monetization.

this is ok

Zakalwe

Banned

Maybe, but it still looks like it's set up to normalise "paying" for things.

But they did say you earn them in game, didn't they?

So, just to play devil's advocate here, if that's the case then what's the difference if you can buy them too?

Nononono. This is a full priced game. No need for microtransactions. The difference is that the game will then be programmed so it's easier to just buy gems and it takes way longer to purchase items etc otherwise if you do it the normal way. Basically the game will be programmed differently to accommodate. No just no. Anyway I have confidence this isn't the case.

Sage00

Once And Future Member

So, just to play devil's advocate here, if that's the case then what's the difference if you can buy them too?
Usually in these kind of cases the games are designed to have deliberately frustrating moments to the extent where people give in and pay to get through a particularly difficult part.

If this is confirmed microtransaction, then wow. What a way to go from "HOLY SHIT BOMBERMAN!" to "Go fuck yourself Konami."

Now I'm going from "Day 1 buy" to "Cautiously aware."

Emitan

Nononono. This is a full priced game. No need for microtransactions. The difference is that the game will then be programmed so it's easier to just buy gems and it takes way longer to purchase terms etc otherwise if you do it the normal way. Basically the game will be programmed differently to accommodate. No just no. Anyway I have confidence this isn't the case.

We don't know the price yet.

LewieP

Surely he would have had to state it there otherwise he would be lying?

I think it would be marketing rather than lying, but the distinction is minor.

Yes most virtual currencies in microtransaction based games can be earned in game.

The difference is that typically microtransaction games are balanced to encourage you to spend money more than it is balanced to provide the best game design.

psyfi

Banned
This doesn't look good.

I might be down if it's F2P, but if I have to pay even a cent to play it, then fuck no.

Oddish1

They explain it during the Treehouse as an old school live system so if you run out of lives you either pay the currency or restart from the beginning of the world. The currency is able to buy other things in-game like cosmetics so you might choose to just restart even if you have enough currency to continue. Treehouse went out of their way to show it off so I doubt it's tied to micro-transactions.

killroy87

I really feel like we should at least wait until we know even a little bit about how this system works before this becomes a witch hunt, if for no other reason than we need to believe there's a chance Bomberman can be back and be good again :p

Literally all we know right now is that there is some sort of in game gem system that facilitates continues.

There's also a moment on the title screen where you see "Shop" as one of the choices.

Could be in game currency earned through gameplay or worst nightmares have been activated...

duckroll

Real hardcore gamers don't continue. This is a price only casuals will have to pay and they already love mobile games and are used to it. What's the problem? I'm just using gamer logic here! Would YOU admit that you needed to continue in a game?!

Top Bottom