• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messenger Bag Age- Timbuk2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

mcrae said:
did this guy just diss messenger bags and propose fanny packs as a realistic replacement? lol

or of course use a regular bag instead. wtf is a regular bag, a grocery bag?

Has this guy zero reading comprehension or what? lol

Ordering this today:

00295195-673339_348.jpg

Tacitus_

I have an old army gas mask bag that I got from a surplus store for 5€. Works just fine and fits my school stuff though I need to attach a buckle for the middle part of the flap since the buttons at the corners can't withstand much force.

coldvein

Banned
i used to have a badass little army-green messenger bag that was actually from the army, had my name printed on it..didn't have a ton of space but it was rad. then the strap broke or i lost it or something. i miss that thing. for me the best thing about messenger bags is that you can just undo a flap and pull something out of it really quickly. flyers, a resume, business card, whatever.. whereas with a backpack you have to take it off your back, unzip, blah blah..

for the record i currently carry all my stuff in a little grey black diamond daypack (backpack) and am kinda wanting to get back into the messenger bag scene...

jacket320

T-Matt said:
I'm thinking about getting one of their wallets which one do you have?

I got the medium bifold as a gift a little over a year ago. Honestly, it's big for what I carry around but not so much that it's inconvenient. They had less options then. There's a nice in-between one that I'd probably pick up now.

When you get it, realize that it's going to be incredibly thick and tough but will soften over time with use. The website doesn't lie: it's going to be kind of a novelty for a year and it's going to be a little cumbersome to use because of the stiffness... but then you pass a point where it's great and random stuff will happen like a bartender commenting on it when you pay your tab. It's easily the best wallet that I've ever owned:

saddelback.jpg

I want to get a messenger bag mostly because I want to carry my 3DS with me. I already carry a smarthphone, keys, wallet... there is no more room for another device in my pockets!

So, I was searching and I found this one at Amazon. I like it because it's very small... perfect to just carry my 3DS, smarthphone, and some other things.

Anyone has a similar size messenger bag? It's just $20 at Amazon.

ydSZ3.jpg

People, please. Let's stop fighting over whether backpacks are for children or messenger bags are effeminate. I think we can all agree on making fun of my bag.

oOgm4.jpg

Unfortunately, it's actually a great size for carrying an iPad, a netbook or books, cables, etc. It's sturdy and comfortable, well-padded, has 3 separate pockets, a nice handle, buckle and strap. I've blacked-out the PS2 lettering, so it doesn't scream "NERD!" unless you're close. It was inexpensive. I have other bags for carrying a lot more stuff, but it's my go-to bag for more items than fit in my pockets.

mcrae

Fritz said:
Has this guy zero reading comprehension or what? lol

i read it as "i like backpacks and regular bags; fanny packs are super handy as well, but apparently youre too good for one of those"

anyways - explain what you meant by 'regular bag'

def sim

Norwegian Wood said:
I would like to see that too

All still rocking the baggy clothing, unable to leave the mid 90's/early 00's fad. Justifying to themselves that it's the manly way to dress. Fitted cap on, black bookbag with the belt clip, gaudy sweater to match the hype beast shoes.

smuggest.gif

though it's most likely a bunch of regular dudes who convinced themselves a briefcase is the only way to go for business because ???????

ShadiWulf

So my Timbuk2 arrived today. It's great. I like everything about it.

only issue is the shoulder pad... it's so hard! it feels better wearing the bag without it... I was wondering if anyone here knew of a solution to that =p

ShadiWulf said:
So my Timbuk2 arrived today. It's great. I like everything about it.

only issue is the shoulder pad... it's so hard! it feels better wearing the bag without it... I was wondering if anyone here knew of a solution to that =p

Oh trust me, you'll be begging for the shoulder pad once you overstuff the bag. The damn strap seems to want to dig into my neck if I don't replace the shoulder pad on my shoulder. And the solution to the answer is to simply break it in by using it. Since it's foam, it'll eventually mold to your shoulder through use.

BlueWord

mech IFR said:
v7uzjm.jpg

A bit heavy and expensive, but mine is looking better and better with age. Excellent bag.

I want a Saddleback so badly. Probably make a purchase this summer.

For the OP, been carrying a Timbuk2 for the past three years. Practically indestructible, and have tons of room for all sorts of things. Definitely more of a college or travel bag, though. I couldn't imagine carrying one to work, or something. Maybe that's just my style speaking.

BlueWord said:
I want a Saddleback so badly. Probably make a purchase this summer.

For the OP, been carrying a Timbuk2 for the past three years. Practically indestructible, and have tons of room for all sorts of things. Definitely more of a college or travel bag, though. I couldn't imagine carrying one to work, or something. Maybe that's just my style speaking.

A lot of people in my office here in SF (it's a law office btw) use either Timbuk2s or Chrome bags for everyday use. The briefcases only come out when they're going to trial.

Lynn616

Fernando Rocker said:
I want to get a messenger bag mostly because I want to carry my 3DS with me. I already carry a smarthphone, keys, wallet... there is no more room for another device in my pockets!

So, I was searching and I found this one at Amazon. I like it because it's very small... perfect to just carry my 3DS, smarthphone, and some other things.

Anyone has a similar size messenger bag? It's just $20 at Amazon.

ydSZ3.jpg
I like that bag. got a link?

edit:
Found it.

adamsappel said:
People, please. Let's stop fighting over whether backpacks are for children or messenger bags are effeminate. I think we can all agree on making fun of my bag.

oOgm4.jpg

Unfortunately, it's actually a great size for carrying an iPad, a netbook or books, cables, etc. It's sturdy and comfortable, well-padded, has 3 separate pockets, a nice handle, buckle and strap. I've blacked-out the PS2 lettering, so it doesn't scream "NERD!" unless you're close. It was inexpensive. I have other bags for carrying a lot more stuff, but it's my go-to bag for more items than fit in my pockets.
Props for rocking that with no shame. I wouldn't have the guts to do so.

mkenyon

Banned
For those of you who bike and have a Timbuk2, do they stay fairly stable? I bike commute to work on nice days about 6 miles or so, so that's fairly important for me. About to pull the trigger on one.

mkenyon

Banned
Per some recommendations from friends and some biking forums, ended up going with this guy:

chrome-classic-messenger-bag-grywht-11.jpg

Also got an accompanying utility pouch for $10. Both in the Olive Green color. It's the perfect size, as I find even the "small" "mini-metro" as way too huge.

Galang

Banned
I only started wearing one a month ago; one of the best purchases I ever made. It compliments almost every one of my outfits, and much more convenient than carrying around a backpack. I can easily pull out a sketchbook for a quick sketch and place it back without taking off my backpack and digging through my bag each time too, love it!

T-Matt

Alucrid said:
I want to see what the people who think messenger bags are childish are wearing everyday for clothing.
I wasn't saying all messenger bags are childish, just timbuk2. I know you are very excited to potentially make fun of the clothes I may wear though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I need a bag. I think I am going with this Kenneth Cole. About 37 bucks, looks cool. I have no issue wearing a messenger bag. I work in web design/digital media so this kind of helps me "look the part".

kenneth-cole-reaction-business-and-luggage-single-gusset-messenger-bag-3765312

T-Matt said:
I feel most the timbuk2 bags look childish too.
Yeah, I'm about to buy a Timbuk2 product within the next week and I agree they don't look professional. I'm a student, junior undergrad and I'm strongly considering a Master's, and they look fine to me to wear around campus, but I'd never consider one if I had a "real" job.

I've been thinking about a messenger bag, and I love the idea, but I'm really worried about the comfort. I'm really surprised to hear people say they're more comfortable than backpacks, nearly everyone I've met who uses one says it kills their neck when they're heavy.

I'm going to have a few notebooks, a netbook, and change of clothes in it a majority of the time, but I leave for school pretty early and am on campus for a majority of the day, so I think that would be fine, but on days I have to carry around a textbook or two or make a trip to the library, I worry that the strap would be too heavy. I guess I could carry them, but I'd rather have everything in a backpack than have to carry stuff around all day if I got a messenger bag.

I'm pretty much settled on the Timbuk2 Q backpack, it's apparently their smallest one and I don't like oversized bags. Are the Timbuk2 backpacks pretty nice? I hear their stuff is nice quality, but everyone just knows them for their messenger bags.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
My issue with backpacks is that after a few weeks I develop a pain in my shoulder from the weight. I get no pain from the messenger bag. You have to get the right bag to look professional.

I commute to work 8mi each way on a road bike with a ~12 year old Timbuk2 messenger bag that my wife used when she was a legal messenger in Seattle. Got caught in a thunderstorm the other day and was soaked head to toe but everything inside was still dry even though it's such an ancient bag. I also have one of their laptop bags but it's a more traditional form factor (eg not meant to be high and tight on the back) and not nearly as comfortable.

For small bags I use a very simple Manhattan Portage that fits a few magazines, books, and whatever toys/crayons my daughters want me to haul around.

Also just to man it up in here hurr hurr I used to carry this inside my Timbuk2 to protect my laptop:

http://www.radtech.us/products/MacTruck.aspx

Actually I still have this, I keep it near my bed in case I need to take a burglars head off; it's that fucking heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom