• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

napata

Digital Foundry had a nice breakdown suggesting that it's genuinely running, but that each moment appeared staged to maximize the impact of each moment.

Vertical slices are rendered real time but that doesn't mean the game will look on par with the vertical slice. The Witcher 3 & Watch Dogs were also real time but didn't look like their vertical slices at all.

Ehker

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's a modern AAA title.

Of course it will.

Many modern AAA titles haven't been. So I don't instantly expect that here.

@ Squire: Thank you. It's like people never learn, or choose to look the other way. This is the same engine that pumped out Star Wars Battlefront for cryin' out loud! Anthem is not that much ahead of it and is entirely believable. ESPECIALLY on PC! Would be different if this was an Ubisoft game. A Frostbite powered game, on the other hand, looks just as promised when launched!

Considering what was shown was nothing more than a Vertical slice, yes absolutely the game won't look like that. It won't be a significant downgrade, but the game lacks content. You saw a very small area that is likely supposed to be part of a much larger open world.

As the world grows and more content is added, optimizations will be made... that's how development works, and that's why you constantly see downgrades in titles. You MIGHT see something very close to what was shown at E3 on Mid - High end PCs and maybe the XBX running at 30 FPS but anyone expecting PS4 or XB1 vanilla to look like that is fooling themselves.

xviper

i wasn't impressed by Anthem at all, Uncharted 4 and Horizon still look better, i don't remember a game from EA getting a noticeable downgrade

ADS

Yeah, good point. Haven't been let down so far.

Is this sarcasm? As mentioned before, Mass Effect Andromeda, which is Frostbite based, looked amazing in the original vertical slice that was demoed, and we all know how that turned out.

Was it really an Xbox or just a really beefy PC?

In any case, it doesn't really matter. This is 100% a vertical slice. The finished game should look worse, which makes total sense.

UPDATE: In a previous version of this article, we stated that it wasn't clear what hardware this demo was running on - in fact, EA's Patrick Soderlund does confirm that it is a real-time Xbox One X demonstration. Many apologies for the error, we will have a deeper look at the demo very soon, but we can confirm 2160p checkerboarding from our tests - something that would be unlikely on PC and very much in line with Frostbite's console technologies.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ox-one-looks-stunning-but-we-need-to-see-more

Downgrade or not I'm looking forward to the game and will hopefully be playing this on the 1X.

Not quite how things go down. E3 demos are rarely target renders nowadays (or target renders at all, cant think of a game in many years that actually did that, one thing to capture it on powerful hardware, one way to actually make it prerendered). E3 segments do naturally get more polish of course, and the optimisation part is more or less true (even though you would never make a postprocess effect that eats 10 fps unless you are a complete idiot)

Every games development is different, but I disagree with what you're saying completely.

It is a huge waste of time productivity wise to make a demo. It can easily take 6+ months just to focus on getting a demo ready, and it's largely doing work that you will need to go back and revise later.
I think you're gravely underestimating the the effort that goes into polishing something to make it look ready for a game that hasn't even had all of its systems developed.

And they are by definition target renderes. This whole thread, and all the drama that has followed similar outrages in the past are a testament to that.

As others have said, a visual downgrade should be the least of your worries. This game set really high expectations for its own gameplay.

How many times are y'all going to do this with Frostbite games only to be proven wrong?
DICE is on a different level.

BioWare on the other hand...

The trailer itself was downgraded the further it went on.

Walking around the market was the most impressive part, than it deteriorated into some weird ass scripted storm thing.

Playsage

How many more time does the "no way it's real time" to "holy shit it actually was real time" cycle needs to happen before people stop doubting Frostbite?

I actually expect a situation similiar to the Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Demo vs Final Release situation

13ruce

Banned
Yeah unless magic it's probably pc footage no way that can run on consoles unless they hired Naughty Dog or something lol.

Snefer

Every games development is different, but I disagree with what you're saying completely.

It is a huge waste of time productivity wise to make a demo. It can easily take 6+ months just to focus on getting a demo ready, and it's largely doing work that you will need to go back and revise later.
I think you're gravely underestimating the the effort that goes into polishing something to make it look ready for a game that hasn't even had all of its systems developed.

And they are by definition target renderes. This whole thread, and all the drama that has followed similar outrages in the past are a testament to that.

I have worked on 20+ AAA games, I am fully aware of the work involved in E3 demos :) Its not at all by definition target renders. A target render is when you make a non-realtime render, and then you try to achieve that visual quality, its quite different. Sometimes that is being presented at E3 and is indeed a fake demo, but thats rarer than people on gaming forums think.

Even Andromeda looked pretty amazing when it was shown off the first time, and Bioware's strengths have never been in delivering amazing looking games.

And now I'm pissed again off thinking about where Biowares strengths actually do lie, and how Anthem is very clearly EA forcing them to do the exact opposite of that, the festering cunts.

Marcel

Even Andromeda looked pretty amazing when it was shown off the first time, and Bioware's strengths have never been in delivering amazing looking games.

And now I'm pissed again off thinking about where Biowares strengths actually do lie, and how Anthem is very clearly EA forcing them to do the exact opposite of that, the festering cunts.

EA wants their Destiny-like GaaS cash cow so somebody's gotta do it.

Lgndryhr

I fully expect it. That's why I am not a fan of seeing a game real early in development. If you really want us to know then just tell us and give info about the the game then move on.

We saw a vertical slice at a conference. Of course the final game won't look like that.

We also saw a vertical slice of Horizon Zero Dawn in 2015 and the final game looks as good, if not better.

Not saying this will as well, just that a vertical slice in and of itself spells downgrade.

Playsage

The first real time demo of the game was from the PS4 Pro showcase, right? That was not an amazing looking game.

The first glimpse we got was the leaked alpha footage which featured an unfinished cutscene that arguably looks better than the original game

Also, Anthem is from a different team (the main one) and uses a different engine

bluexy

Not quite how things go down. E3 demos are rarely target renders nowadays (or target renders at all, cant think of a game in many years that actually did that, one thing to capture it on powerful hardware, one way to actually make it prerendered). E3 segments do naturally get more polish of course, and the optimisation part is more or less true (even though you would never make a postprocess effect that eats 10 fps unless you are a complete idiot)

Not typically the demos they use for press conferences or showfloor demos , no. But for Judge's week stuff and BCD demos...

Top Bottom