• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best anti-virus software that's free and not a memory hog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use AVG but apparently the free version is being discontinued. What's another good anti-virus software that is free and is not a memory hog?

Btw: Can you somehow turn it off that antivir does the whole update downloading in the foreground? I mean it gets annoying, you can't even click the download bar..

Broseybrose

windows defender
windows firewall

my pc had never been so responsive til after i decided to nix aftermarket AV suites....

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Thanks for the some of the suggestions. Believe it or not, I was also in the need of one!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Broseybrose said:
windows defender
windows firewall

my pc had never been so responsive til after i decided to nix aftermarket AV suites....
windows firewall and defender doesn't prevent or remove viruses :lol

zoku88

DeathNote said:
windows firewall and defender doesn't prevent or remove viruses :lol
Wait... I'm pretty sure defender is an AV program. Whether it does it well or not is up to debate, but it can stop viruses from executing (I tested it out once on a fresh Vista install.)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zoku88 said:
Wait... I'm pretty sure defender is an AV program. Whether it does it well or not is up to debate, but it can stop viruses from executing (I tested it out once on a fresh Vista install.)
defender is a spyware removal program only

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Burger said:
What, no NOD love ?

Best anti virus on the market.

He said "Free" :)

Nod32 is awesome though

Ecrofirt

I found Avast to take a noticeable hit on my system resources.
I hate the new version of AVG.

I'm using AntiVir now, and it seems OK.

Ecrofirt said:
I found Avast to take a noticeable hit on my system resources.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the first thing I always do when I log into Windows is turn off Avast because it slows down my computer :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
nataku said:
I use this as well. But it has an annoying pop up window with an ad whenever it updates that you have to manuall close.
Even worse is that Luke Filewalker crashes on my box when he's finished scanning.

It's not the best program ever, that's pretty much common knowledge. But it's a favorable alternative to not connecting with the internet at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom