• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Wozzer

With the review embargo on the same day as the general release, it's either because the team was working on this game all the way to the end, or it may not be quite as good.

There's always that possibility, but also don't discount the value of having a review embargo function as marketing for small indie (especially digital only) games. Reviews will be promoting the game (hopefully in a positive light) alongside the game being available for purchase, if done say a week earlier a potential buyer might forget to come back in a weeks time to make the purchase.

I'm probably going to get laughed at here but what's the title in reference too?

You gotta be shitting me?

HAHA

XS5LK.gif

The Wart

Something that bugs the hell out of me is that the bosses seem to lack any kind of internal thematic coherence. Just look at the gifs in the OT -- the center of the flower just extends arbitrarily far? You fight a carrot who... for some reason has a psychic 3rd eye? What? Obviously the problem isn't lack of "realism" or whatever, it's that the boss attacks seem to bear no relationship whatsoever to what the boss is. Like, the bosses might as well be amorphous blobs (which I think the first boss actually is).

Maybe this is some kind of deliberate call-back to old animated movies?

Teeth

Something that bugs the hell out of me is that the bosses seem to lack any kind of internal thematic coherence. Just look at the gifs in the OT -- the center of the flower just extends arbitrarily far? You fight a carrot who... for some reason has a psychic 3rd eye? What? Obviously the problem isn't lack of "realism" or whatever, it's that the boss attacks seem to bear no relationship whatsoever to what the boss is. Like, the bosses might as well be amorphous blobs (which I think the first boss actually is).

And two frogs morph together to form a slot machine that spits drums.

What the actual fuck.

It's deliberate. One of the artists talks about it in his GDC talk
https://youtu.be/RmGb-jU3uVQ?t=1518

Lylo

I don't know, i think this title is of bad taste...

Wow. Surprised so many people are hating the OT title. I think it's pretty funny myself.

My main problem with this title is that it associates this wonderfully crafted game with a tasteless meme that many people never heard of. I'm sure that some people are curious about it and end up disapointed after discovering how disgusting the whole thing is.

What the actual fuck.

Yeah, those devs have some pretty fucked up minds ;)

It all looks so gloriously bonkers, I just showed my partner one of the trailers on YouTube and she refuses to believe its a game, "its one of those old weird cartoons where you knew whoever drew it was tripping."

Congrats Studio MDHR, mission accomplished!

Grisby

Man, that title brings me back to sitting at a Starbucks years ago and overhearing a dude say to a bunch of his friends, "Hey, check out this 2 girls 1 cup video!"

I did not turn around.

On topic, I guess I might have to switch to easy mode considering the only things I've hard about it for the past few weeks is how difficult it is. Been waiting for this game for a while.

El_Chino

What exactly is so funny about it? That is connected to crappy, forgotten, 100y.o. meme? Is GAF full of teenagers or what?
You're quite sensitive to this.

It's making fun of an infamous video while iterating the fact the game doesn't have online co-op

mas8705

What the actual fuck.

The 1930s was a rather wacky time. Still, you can't argue that they weren't creative in their insanity. ^_^ *Quietly waiting for tomorrow*

People really getting angry over an OT title that doesn't even matter?

Come in here to talk about the game not criticize a title you won't even be looking at.

What exactly is so funny about it? That is connected to crappy, forgotten, 100y.o. meme? Is GAF full of teenagers or what?

lmao is that why people are complaining about the OT title. "We're too cool for this", "Thats shit old".

Anyway, annoyingly enough game doesn unlike till 2pm GMT on windows/X1. So i might aswell wait for steam to update.

AdanVC

I know 98% of OT titles on GAF are mean to be something irreverent/funny but this title is just awful. It should be changed IMHO.

But oh well, game looks freaking awesome!

Raptomex

Why are people obsessed with the thread title? What it's referencing is pretty fucking gross but I laughed anyway. Who cares? It's really a non-issue. The game looks awesome.

BiggNife

I think that this game deserves better and that there were much better options. That's all.

You're getting way too worked up over this. It's a thread title, and the OP went through the effort of making a OT (which is no easy task, as someone who just did one) so he can choose the thread title. Simple as that.

breakfuss

Have to say, not a fan of the thread title either. Don’t hate it but, yea, it’s in poor taste. I appreciate the work put into the OT though!

Anyway, excited to jump into this. I’m not exaggerating when I say this is easily one of the most gorgeous games I’ve seen. It’s brilliant. I’ll probably suck ass at it but whatever. They’ve earned my support.

Top Bottom