• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Mafia |OT| My Little Scum can't be this cute! ()

squidyj

Guess I should do something productive huh

I'm down for a peeking strat. Not totally convinced squidy-kun is the cop but I think that there's a good chance there's one in this game.

I think you should read my concerns about the peeking strategy, especially if we start doing it as early as day 2.

Also how can you not be convinced that I'm a cop? I'm a cop!

What's this whole peeking thing? Is it a trap to make us fools ask about it?

During the day phase everyone posts "I peeked ____ and got a ___ check", along with the actual cop. So when the cop flips we have a way to verify their reads from the past without them having come out and say that they're the cop and therefore revealing themselves to scum.

(`・ω・´) b

Swamped

Banned
nah not really, just laughed when i read squidyj's post

VOTE: rac

This answer to cabot's question feels too friendly to me, like he's trying to diffuse tension. Scum wants people to like them, and to not feel threatened by them.

I know i have a policy on not lynching or killing newbies on D1/N1, but there are too many in this game lol.

I think you should read my concerns about the peeking strategy, especially if we start doing it as early as day 2.

Also how can you not be convinced that I'm a cop? I'm a cop!

If you're really the cop you shouldn't be worried about a peek as it A) allows you to give your results safely and B) since you've already revealed yourself you won't be alive for that long anyway, making yourself useless from the start

Hence why I'm not convinced you're the cop

m9っ`・ω・´)

squidyj

If you're really the cop you shouldn't be worried about a peek as it A) allows you to give your results safely and B) since you've already revealed yourself you won't be alive for that long anyway, making yourself useless from the start

Hence why I'm not convinced you're the cop

m9っ`・ω・´)

what if I'm not the only cop though?

I know i have a policy on not lynching or killing newbies on D1/N1, but there are too many in this game lol.

Not that I would like to make myself a target but also no need to coddle the newbies because we're newbies. If we get scurrilously voted off d1 because senpai noticed and was mean, we can totally just use that as leverage to get into the next game because everyone feels bad.

Zubz

Banned

This answer to cabot's question feels too friendly to me, like he's trying to diffuse tension. Scum wants people to like them, and to not feel threatened by them.

I got the read that Rac was just playing along. Then again, you & I both know how bad I am at reading people.

RetroMG

Not that I would like to make myself a target but also no need to coddle the newbies because we're newbies. If we get scurrilously voted off d1 because senpai noticed and was mean, we can totally just use that as leverage to get into the next game because everyone feels bad.

Stepping in here - we actually do try to give priority to people who have played the least. Going out on day 1 would actually theoretically give you priority in the next game. (The Spider handles all this, somehow.) No need for emotional blackmail.

Carry on.

rac

Banned

if i was scum i probably wouldn't stick my neck out D1 to try and diffuse tension when less then a quarter of the players have even posted

Oh, I guess we're doing this now. I think Poltergust is new-ish... Right? Based on the Phoenix Wright comment (Although I guess it has been a year since then)? No Kills are always a bad idea, & you just shouldn't do them. Ever. I'm assuming Squidy's up to shenanigans, but it'd be foolish to rule anything out. Especially since he's usually more the "in your face pressure" type this early in a game.

Can you explain why it's a bad idea?

And yeah, this is the first time I've played Mafia online.

Oh, and I want to bring up something: Is there any reason for the baddies to not target squidyj at this point, assuming he's town?

If no one else claims a special role by the end of the day phase then he put a self-imposed target on his back.

I mean, we've had it before. Don't forget about Apprentice Roles, too.

I'm just finding it very unbalanced and hard to believe. And if there is a backup cop, then they can't even do checks yet so I'm not even considering them at this point

Can you explain why it's a bad idea?

And yeah, this is the first time I've played Mafia online.

Because it generally gives scum more of a read on players and town less to go off of. With no lynch, voting patterns become null and void, essentially, which is crucial for reconstructing scum voting patterns on D2 and beyond.

(▼-▼*)

Oh, and I want to bring up something: Is there any reason for the baddies to not target squidyj at this point, assuming he's town?

If no one else claims a special role by the end of the day phase then he put a self-imposed target on his back.

Why even bring this up? Do you have something you'd like to share with the class, Poltergust-kun? Seems like a very obvious and weird question, is all.

(゚ー゚;

Stepping in here - we actually do try to give priority to people who have played the least. Going out on day 1 would actually theoretically give you priority in the next game. (The Spider handles all this, somehow.) No need for emotional blackmail.

Carry on.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, just with the emotional blackmail part for flavoring and fun. :D

Oh, I mean ( ゚▽゚)/

Bowlie

Banned
I mean, we have basically nothing to go on at this point, right? Unless someone has a daytime ability to activate (is that even a thing?) we're kinda blind firing here.

Yeah, I noticed that too. There are most likely abilities that can only work with specific genders.

I'm all for the players with abilities to do their stuff before we jump the gun. I'm not sure how many Mafia members there are compared to town members, but we certainly have a large chance of targeting someone innocent if we go into it blindly.

Wait, so he used an ability already? Is that possible in the day phase?

Why are you so focused on power roles?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Polter's new, he's just figuring out the online game. Cut him some slack.

I'm running through three different scenarios in my head over squidyj's situation:

1. squidyj is telling the truth; he really is a cop aligned with the town. However, I have no idea why he would reveal this information so early, especially when the conversation over who to lynch has just started and no one was going for anyone. There was no need to "save himself" by revealing how much of an asset to the town he is so soon.

2. squidyj is a regular townie and is lying about his role. This would provide the most benefit to the town because it allows him to play as a sacrificial lamb to the Mafia and allow the special town roles to (likely) survive the night.

3. squidyj is Mafia. Him "revealing" that he is a cop is simply an attempt to throw us off the trail.

There are more possibilities (mostly dealing with Independents), but those are what I think to be the three likeliest ones. Thing is, only #2 would be beneficial to the town, and there is no guarantee that he will be targeted by the Mafia anyways.

Any thoughts?

Why are you so focused on power roles?

I think that with most of those quotes I was just reiterating what someone else already said.

That said, squidyj revelation of being a cop is what got the ball rolling, so why not talk about them?

(I really do not know if it is possible for abilities to be used in the day phase, though. Someone please answer me. :< )

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(I really do not know if it is possible for abilities to be used in the day phase, though. Someone please answer me. :< )

It's possible but it's very unlikely the gafia mods would approve of a day-time Cop. it's one of those things that really throw off the balance of games.

I think that with most of those quotes I was just reiterating what someone else already said.

That said, squidyj revelation of being a cop is what got the ball rolling, so why not talk about them?

Honestly I think it's too early to tell. Your reaction is interesting though.

v(&#65507;&#8711;&#65507;)

No no no, I was talking about it in a general sense.

I haven't played a lot of variations so I looked at the general mafia wiki to get a general sense and I don't see daytime abilities, really (though they can do what they want; i agree it's a balance issue, however), but there are some that seem imbued with extra knowledge, which could fit in theme. I dunno!

... which means I just posted a lot to say nothing, BASICALLY so uhhhh... I'll be over here.

Bowlie

Banned
No no no, I was talking about it in a general sense.

Yup, there are roles that can act during the day phase, and they can act either by sending a private message to the game's creator, or by saying something in the game's thread, public to everyone. It's up to the creator to have them or not.

In case you haven't, you should take a look at the wiki to familiarize yourself with terms and things that could appear in the game: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles_Main_Page

Yup, there are roles that can act during the day phase, and they can act either by sending a private message to the game's creator, or by saying something in the game's thread, public to everyone. It's up to the creator to have them or not.

In case you haven't, you should take a look at the wiki to familiarize yourself with terms and things that could appear in the game: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles_Main_Page

I never knew there was so much depth and variation to this game... All you vet players are wonderful senpais, arigatou (;-; )

Bowlie

Banned

Two of those were replies to someone who had mentioned power roles, and you started talking about it before noticing squid had claimed cop if I read you correctly.

It was something easy to notice, but since you really didn't know daytime powers could exist it's fine.

Kevyt

Sigh...

jMX7UL8OKU2aI.gif

How's everyone doing?

SkyOdin

Sigh...

How's everyone doing?
Distracted by Zelda BotW and Persona 5, mostly.

Otherwise, I am simply baffled by squidyj's behavior. Not that I think I can puzzle out whatever it is he is thinking. I don't know how to deal with crazy gambits right off the bat.

My general premise is that scum will try to lie low. While there are scum like Sorian who try to take front and center as town, a lot of scum in big games like this tend to sit back and quietly slip under the radar. It is easy to focus on the active people, when it is the quiet types who are probably the crazy yandere types with the hidden knives.

Are Day 1's usually a little slow? I thought that we would have been flying through a few pages by now.

Only a few accusations and interesting comments have been made, but it's not too hectic right now.

Are Day 1's usually a little slow? I thought that we would have been flying through a few pages by now.

Only a few accusations and interesting comments have been made, but it's not too hectic right now.

Well think about it. What information does town have to go off of, on day one? No one has died and we're not even close to a vote yet.

&#65343;&#65417;&#20057;(&#65380;&#65437;&#65380;)&#65343;

It's just about impossible to tell what's going on until investigators, etc. use their powers. Votes right now are just going to be based off gut feeling based on things such as past behavior in previous games, relationships with players or crappy anime faces.

squidyj

It's just about impossible to tell what's going on until investigators, etc. use their powers. Votes right now are just going to be based off gut feeling based on things such as past behavior in previous games, relationships with players or crappy anime faces.

oh you're one of those people.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm here!

Impromptu trip to see family so I was travelling yesterday. Only now just realized the day started. Gonna catch up tomorrow.

Top Bottom