• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

Pbae

How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

LOL No. You have to purchase an XBO at the time of the trade in. You CANNOT get store credit.

At least with the Best Buy gift card you can buy anything that Best Buy sells.

genbatzu

Sonys answer just came in:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

nah...jk, just my crappy mspaint skills

This thread has put everything I hate about Neogaf on display. It is an innocuous, not particularly great promotion by a retailer. Shit happens across the planet all day every day. Yet we have 200 + posts of talking more shit about Microsoft when in this case it is unwarranted.

Can we have a fresh thread to discuss the motives of Bob's Metro Ford dealership offering an incentive to trade in your Chevy? Obviously evil moneyhatting going on there. GAF investigates.

"Trade in your PS3, buy an Xbox One for the same price as a PS4, both systems now cost the same, there is no price disparity!"

It's genius. Kudos to Microsoft for such a smart plan. Many have been predicting a price drop, a kinectless sku to drop the price, and optical drive less sku to drop the price.

It was right in front of our face, just give your PS3 to Microsoft, and you can have an Xbox One for $400. Well played Microsoft.

Haha! I saw this too! Seriously. Trade in your PS3 and you can buy a less powerful system for the same price as the PS4. As an added bonus, you'll also be out of being able to play PS3 games you may still have via PS+.

I mean, I get it. I just don't think they get it.

Has Microsoft even entertained the option of winning people over by being the good guys, and not seeming like gigantic bullies?

Their overarching mindset is just so obnoxious, it makes me dislike them on principle. Like, I get that Sony is a big corporation that's out to make money just like everyone else, but look how far they've gotten just by appealing to my good nature and at least pretending like they have my best interests in mind. The complete lack of ethos in Microsoft is just so frustrating.

When I picture walking into Sony's HQ, I picture walking into a house, with someone greeting me as I walk in. When I picture walking into Microsoft's HQ, I picture a large office building where I need to study the elevator directory before knowing where the hell to go.

Marcel

This thread has put everything I hate about Neogaf on display. It is an innocuous, not particularly great promotion by a retailer. Shit happens across the planet all day every day. Yet we have 200 + posts of talking more shit about Microsoft when in this case it is unwarranted.

Can we have a fresh thread to discuss the motives of Bob's Metro Ford dealership offering an incentive to trade in your Chevy? Obviously evil moneyhatting going on there. GAF investigates.

Yeah, why won't anyone think of widdle Microsoft's feelings? They're our friend who wants to give us a great deal!

DryvBy

You can still sell a PS3 for near double that. Such a bad deal. Funny they say they'll "recycle" them though. lol

dorkimoe

I would do this if

1) we had a Microsoft store near me
2) ps4 got their act together and allowed media streaming again

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but GAF calls out any inane shit that goes down amongst the big 3. If Sony put up an ad like this, they'd get called out too (and have), as would Nintendo.

Yeah, why won't anyone think of widdle Microsoft's feelings? They're our friend who wants to give us a great deal!
MS doesn't have feelings. Neither does Sony. They are both giant corporations doing what they can to sell stuff. We are talking about a retail promotion.

dose

From your post history it looks like you've bought a Xbone. Defensive much? As mentioned, if any of the big companies did this they'd get shit for it.

I don't see much in the point of this.

Get rid of your ps3 (which you probably have quite a few games for by now) to make an XBO price competitive against the PS4 o_O Am I missing something here?

OR

You keep your ps3 and buy a damn ps4 and come out spending the same amount of cash and you get to keep your gaming library from the past 7-8 years.

Unless you have a serious hard on to get an XBO, this "deal" makes no sense at all. It really feels like Microsoft is banking on the idea that flashing the "oooooooo $100 dollars! ZOMG" is going to blind gullible people into this.

Marcel

MS doesn't have feelings. Neither does Sony. They are both giant corporations doing what they can to sell stuff. We are talking about a retail promotion.

Yep thanks for the update about the "retail promotion". I didn't understand because I haven't contributed to the OP or anything so your diet condescension is totally needed.

Majmun

No way. Ps3 is getting more games I care for.

Skipping Dark Souls II, Persona 5, Tales of Zesteria and Drakengard 3 is a no go

Has Microsoft even entertained the option of winning people over by being the good guys, and not seeming like gigantic bullies?

Well, it's ironic because Major Nelson will come out and say one diplomatic thing, then the company will put out something like this or their Scroogled campaign. You can't take this stuff too seriously -- it's publicity red meat -- but at the same time you'd hope for a certain level of, um, "adult-ness?" Maybe that's not the crowd they're going forzahalogears.

shandy706

I knew I saw something similar a good week or more ago. Found my post here on it.

Best buy did this back in the middle of January. If you traded in a PS3 back on January 17th (the day I made the post) you got $100 towards an X1.

ViciousDS

Banned
LOL F THAT,

the PS3 is still one the best DLNA/blu-ray combo players, I tried streaming to my buddies xbox one with anime when he first got the thing and it barely recognizes half my stuff. I have to remux the streams, convert to MP4 and then I can finally stream.....PS3.......run PS3 media server be done with it.

coldone

Even microsoft doesn't want their original 360. I have a launch 360, 20GB console. Would love to trade it in some where !!!. No one wants to touch it. I was one of the very few who have the launch console without RROD :)

bill0527

I get that some people need to trade their PS3 or sell it to have funds for a next gen console. I can completely understand that. But if you aren't desperate for cash, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind getting rid of their PS3 at this point in time. There are still some great games coming, and I am sure there's a sizable backlog of games most people would be interested in, and enough of them to float you through the software drought that always comes with the first year of a new generation.

Call me crazy, but if I absolutely had to let either my PS3 or PS4 go right now...at this very moment.. Had to pick one to keep, say over the next 6 months or a year, hands down I am keeping my PS3.

Marcel

This is actually a decent promotion. I don't really see the complaining an justified.

Not really. It's somewhere between uninspired and mediocre. As many have stated, you could get more/equal amount at GameStop or comparable retailers where you're not limited to just Microsoft products.

Mandoric

Banned
How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

When Best Buy is free and clear of their involvement in the process, they've gone from -$480 to +$120 or so.
When MS is free and clear of their involvement in the process, they've gone from $0 to -$120 or so (assuming Xbones are around break-even.)

It's really shitty business, both from a "how does capitalism work" perspective (spending money solely to cost a competitor money distorts markets and hurts consumers in the long run) and a "how do i make money" perspective (they've now got a load of PS3s to dispose of, that they can't exactly resell).

From your post history it looks like you've bought a Xbone. Defensive much? As mentioned, if any of the big companies did this they'd get shit for it.

Not at all. I am in no way a console warrior for one side or the other.

Honestly I am just looking to elevate the discussion. Call it bubbling frustration with what I see as near constant and unstoppable garbage piles in every thread.

It has been the same shit for 8 months.

Edit with that I will say no more. Thread whining and all.

Sonys answer just came in:

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

nah...jk, just my crappy mspaint skills

^^^ Beyond fucking genius, my friend :).

This is equivalent to the idea of Sega asking you to trade in your SNES for a Sega Saturn.

For some reason, I can't get by the idea that this is just a joke, but we know it isn't.

Top Bottom