• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

I haven't preordered a single game yet. I'm holding out for a bomba price drop on something. Rayman or Uncharted, whichever drops first. In the meantime, I have some PSP games from my old Go I never finished, so I'll play those.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ha ha, just stand at one side and watch how things pan out if you don't want to partake in the exercise. It's driven by market forces in the end.

Will do, thanks. I'm already in a digital download world. It's called iOS. My "purchased" games are free or cost me $1 to $5 usually. And they will still play on the next generation of hardware.

Hell of a fairer shake then screwing me into paying $10-$20 again for titles I already bought just because I was foolish enough to support their previous proprietary format, no? Market forces indeed.

- J - D -

I think I can some up the back and forth we just had pretty well with one image

gears2.jpg

Oh man, probably not the right time to tell you how I feel about the Giants winning tonight then. :)

I haven't preordered a single game yet. I'm holding out for a bomba price drop on something. Rayman or Uncharted, whichever drops first. In the meantime, I have some PSP games from my old Go I never finished, so I'll play those.

Me neither! I am 90% confident that some retail stores will have awesome deals on Vita games 1st week out. Gonna spend the first night playing demos, I guess.

AiTM

Banned
I have had my Vita preordered since like last summer, im excited for it. But fuck if these required memory cards dont sour the whole experience for me. I want to download some old PSP games and Uncharted and Hot Shots, but spending 100 fucking dollars for 32gbs really pisses me off.

GQman2121

Banned
Do we all agree that PSX compatibility is being intentionally held back to promote new sales for Vita and PSP games? It seems like the only logical explanation.

Vita...I'm ready; bring it! My launch pickups:

SYSTEM 'N STUFF
- PS Vita First Edition Bundle (FEB): Honestly, this is mostly because i love that amazing-looking, limited-edition case. Getting the Vita a week early helps; I can NOT wait for this thing.
- Hori glossy screen protector: imported from Play-Asia; I knew the US ones wouldn't be available on launch day, never mind a week early for the FEB.
- 32GB Card (going all DD)
- Official PS Vita External Charger by Sony (the one on that pic above; is it out at GameStops? I want it!).

GAMES - RETAIL
- FIFA - The one DD exception, simply because i know I'll be trading in and buying the yearly FIFA on Vita.

GAMES - DIGITAL
- Little Deviants - I do want this game; sometimes I enjoy an off-beat, simple mini-game collection. I just wish the FEB came with a voucher instead of a retail game. I'll be selling it and the 4GB card and buying the DD version; yes, dumb, I know; it would just be weird to have all DD games except this one.
- Uncharted: GA
- Shinobido 2
- Touch My Katamari
- Escape Plan
- Hustle Kings
- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Also, nitpicking, but last I checked the 'backwards compatibility' question in the topic's FAQ section doesn't mention PS Minis.

DBT85

Do we all agree that PSX compatibility is being intentionally held back to promote new sales for Vita and PSP games? It seems like the only logical explanation.

It possible. But they have plenty of PS1 games on the store that they make money on too so why would they encourage PSP games but not PS1 games?

I think it's probably more likely that they are just writing a new emulator that runs nativly rather than using the emulator that the PSP used. As using the one in the PSP emulator would be like...inception.

Ran rp

Right now, I've got the Wi-Fi-only version of the system preordered, as well as Wipeout 2048. I'll probably go for a 16 MB card to start. I plan on adding Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and will probably grab a few PSN downloadable games as well.

I know what you meant but this almost had me in tears. I guess it's because I've had little sleep or something.

graywolf323

Gold Member

doesn't really make sense since Sony makes money off digital sales of PS1 games as well

iavi

I think the better idea is that they're working to consolidate the PS Suite and PSN PSX titles, and ultimately the service themselves since the Vita is a device of both (supposedly). I'm more annoyed about their backtracking on the extensiveness of Remote Play. They're saying nothing, and it's not working as was advertised.

VanWinkle

I would consider halving that list. I know there is awesomeness but you have more than enough gaming for a while wit just 3 of those games.

And Fireteam Bravo is really good for those who can appreciate it. Vita dual stick support too. May be worth picking up Fireteam Bravo 2 since I think it has co op no?

Oh poop man, I forgot about the SOCOM PSP games! I have one of them (the latest one I believe), but couldn't get into because of the control scheme. This could be awesome with the two analog sticks!

Agent X

16mb is really small.

PSY・S;34877437 said:
I know what you meant but this almost had me in tears. I guess it's because I've had little sleep or something.

Yeah, I gave it some thought, and 16 MB probably isn't going to cut it for the types of games that I crave. I've changed my mind now, and will probably go for the 16 GB card instead. :)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Is it too late to pre-order at GS?

I have $150 in credit from filling out surveys over the past 2 years (LOL) and won some cash on the Giants. :)

I don't want the FEB bundle though.

TripOpt55

Really excited for this. Still not sure exactly what I am getting. Have a Wifi Vita and Uncharted pre-ordered at the moment. Have been thinking about switching to the 3G Vita bundle. Might get another game at launch.

Also, hoping the Gamestop near my gym has a demo unit to play. The one closest to my home didn't yet. I will see if the other one does tomorrow. I did try one at Best Buy, but wanted to try some other games.

M.W.

Is it too late to pre-order at GS?

I have $150 in credit from filling out surveys over the past 2 years (LOL) and won some cash on the Giants. :)

I don't want the FEB bundle though.

I think so. I think you have until the week it releases, though I could be mistaken.

cnizzle06

Banned
God, Im impatient. If I get this, I want it as soon as possible (impatient American) but I really don't want little deviants or a small ass memory card.

Blah.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sure. I suppose no one will gripe if the next XBox drops BC for XBox 1 games... unless you bought then through Games on Demand.
People stopped caring about OG Xbox BC shortly after MS themselves stopped.
It won't be missed at all on their next system.

iavi

Wait, I can't download psx games to play on this?

Not yet. 'More's to be announced at a later date'

It won't be missed at all on their next system.

Yes the fuck it will. If my XBLA/GOD games die with the 360, so does my love for the three six zero and it's successor. And that goes for any system with a large backing of DD content, and no guarantee of a future with said content. The interesting thing is, it's up to the next gen to set the precedent.

patsu

Gamestop isn't in Japan, and in the US a UMD drive add-on would go over like a wet fart.

...which is why I said partner with someone !

The Vita has potential problems, but UMD BC isn't one of them.

I am not sure. I keep seeing people wishing to play their existing UMD games, or trade used ones.

DBT85

Wait, I can't download psx games to play on this?

You can down load them yeah. They just won't work yet.

This should really be in the OP under backwards compatibility rather than FAQ imo

They have said they are working on it.

DiscoJer

That would be my guess. I mean, how is it that Sony managed to create a nearly perfect PSP emulator, yet cannot emulate PS1 games that could actually be emulated on the PSP.

At the very least, they could emulate the PSP running the PS1 emulator as a stopgap

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Argh, I really want a Vita, but the battery life is :( and I usually wait for handheld revisions anyway. :/ I hope everyone enjoys their systems when they arrive.

Argh, I really want a Vita, but the battery life is :( and I usually wait for handheld revisions anyway. :/ I hope everyone enjoys their systems when they arrive.

Isn't the battery life surprisingly good for a first generation unit? Around 4 hours on a graphically intensive game.

Seems fine to me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yes the fuck it will. If my XBLA/GOD games die with the 360, so does my love for the three six zero and it's successor. And that goes for any system with a large backing of DD content, and no guarantee of a future with said content. The interesting thing is, it's up to the next gen to set the precedent.

We're talking about physical Xbox 1 discs.

Takao

Banned
If you want my opinion, I think the emulation team's swamped. They're going through like a 1000 PSP games on PSN, and have to test a small amount of PS2 games. PSone emulation is coming so I don't know what the big deal is.

iavi

We're talking about physical Xbox 1 discs.

I didn't catch you specify, my bad.

If you want my opinion, I think the emulation team's swamped. They're going through like a 1000 PSP games on PSN, and have to test a small amount of PS2 games. PSone emulation is coming so I don't know what the big deal is.

Has PS2 compatibility ever even been mentioned?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Isn't the battery life surprisingly good for a first generation unit? Around 4 hours on a graphically intensive game.

Seems fine to me.

Eh, I just expect a little more out of a handheld. I suppose 4 hours is fair, though, for the type of graphical fidelity, etc. that you get out of the Vita.

I also don't have any money for a Vita atm, so maybe I'm just making excuses. ;p

patsu

Battery life doesn't sound so bad for the type of games they have. But if you're like me, you would want a 10+ hour life, just buy a battery pack. I'm most interested in the Nyko one. The battery is also a grip that makes holding Vita more than a DS3.

Heck, my iPhone 4S case is also a battery pack. Without the pack, it runs out too often for me too.

Tobor

...which is why I said partner with someone !

I am not sure. I keep seeing people wishing to play their existing UMD games, or trade used ones.

I'm very sure. Of course you get very vocal people on the internet who are upset, but you don't waste money and resources on a very expensive add-on to please a vocal minority.

No one is even thinking logically about how impractical this would be. It would destroy the Vita's battery life, just for starters. Beyond that, it would have to cost at least $100, probably more to recoup the cost. It will have to be a high price, there's no other way to make any money on such a low volume product. Realistically, who beyond a few hundred GAF-fers would pay that much to add BC for discs the market never bought in large quantities to begin with? A few thousand people? 10K? 20K? Is that really worth the trouble?

Apath

I'm not saying you're wrong but Drake's fortune didn't have multiplayer and is shorter than Golden Abyss yet a lot of people were willing to pay $59.99 for it, I don't know man, why does it matter if it's a handheld game if it offers the same amount of content?
Uncharted came out in 2007 -- this is 2012. We should pay $50 for a game that is very similar to a 2007 title?

To be honest I'm less against the price of the game over content and more against it because of the principle of the price. I'm afraid that if Uncharted sells very well despite the price point, we will see a lot of other titles popping up at the $50 price tag. Of course this could mean two things: one is that we will be seeing higher quality, bigger budget titles on the system. What I believe will happen (far) more often, however, is that we will see games that should be priced at $40 or even $30, selling at $50. Just like XBLA, with 1200 point titles shifting to the norm; we had some titles that truly justified it, but we're also seeing a ton of games that really should have been priced at 800.

patsu

I'm very sure. Of course you get very vocal people on the internet who are upset, but you don't waste money and resources on a very expensive add-on to please a vocal minority.

No one is even thinking logically about how impractical this would be. It would destroy the Vita's battery life, just for starters. Beyond that, it would have to cost at least $100, probably more to recoup the cost. It will have to be a high price, there's no other way to make any money on such a low volume product. Realistically, who beyond a few hundred GAF-fers would pay that much to add BC for discs the market never bought in large quantities to begin with? A few thousand people? 10K? 20K? Is that really worth the trouble?

I raised the same questions before.

I think those people said they want the drive unit to play at home like a dock. They can add other features to the dock if they want. Or they can include a battery pack. Anyone who want to sell such a unit would of course need to conduct their own research. After all the survey was Japan only.

Ran rp

Can anyone recommend me some great PSP games on the Vita? I have no preferences.

Same, except I was already thinking about picking up LocoRoco, Ridge Racer, and some other cheap games. Never had a PSP so I'm game for pretty much anything that isn't priced too high.

Eusis

What probably doesn't help for PS2 games are the pressure sensitive buttons, especially since it doesn't sound like the Vita has those. All the PS1's missing are L2/R2 and L3/R3, both of which can be replicated by the touch panels (or, as on PSP, with the analog sticks, but I'd rather have proper analog control.)

iavi

:( Damnit. WHY.

PSY・S;34878266 said:
Same, except I was already thinking about picking up LocoRoco, Ridge Racer, and some other cheap games. Never had a PSP so I'm game for pretty much anything that isn't priced too high.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446019#2

All you need. Many, if not most, of those badass titles are on the PSN. My personal favs: Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together (SRPG), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Turn Based RPG), and Maverick Hunter X (A damn good remake of MMX). A PSN sale might be coming, just might if Sony wants to capitalize on new, title starved, and psp-curious Vita owners. I'd hold off, myself.

Apath

seriously stfu dude; we get it you, don't like the 32GB memory card but do you have to bring it up every damn post? it's becoming really irritating, you might not think it's a good deal but it actually is

4GB: $5 per GB
8GB: $3.75 per GB
16GB: $3.75 per GB
32GB: $3.125 per GB
You're talking about relative value. All of the memory cards are over priced as hell, but with the 4GB you satisfy the memory card requirement and minimize the loss when you eventually replace the card for the inevitable cheaper versions.

Paying $100 for a 32GB card is in no way a good deal.

This is basically the 360 HDD debacle all over again.

Tobor

I raised the same questions before.

I think those people said they want the drive unit to play at home like a dock. They can add other features to the dock if they want. Or they can include a battery pack. Anyone who want to sell such a unit would of course need to conduct their own research. After all the survey was Japan only.

That's exactly my point. No one is going to want to sell such a unit. It's impractical, with very limited demand and high cost.

No one but Sony can make one anyway. It would need to interface with the OS, and that's locked up tight.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Please note separate power supply on my mockup, designed to use existing PSP charger, in separate battery. $100 cost is a good estimate. But also please note PSP outselling Vita right now in Japan, due to ability to play current release of Monster Hunter. UMD peripheral would capture significant portion of that business, particularly with better OLED and dual-stick support for PSP titles.

America, maybe less so, true. But maybe not as much as you think.

androvsky

Please note separate power supply on my mockup, designed to use existing PSP charger, in separate battery. $100 cost is a good estimate. But also please note PSP outselling Vita right now in Japan, due to ability to play current release of Monster Hunter. UMD peripheral would capture significant portion of that business, particularly with better OLED and dual-stick support for PSP titles.

The PSP can play Monster Hunter... at a much lower price than the Vita. Throw in the cost of the UMD drive add-on on top of it, and you'll have solved nothing.

Eusis

You're talking about relative value. All of the memory cards are over priced as hell, but with the 4GB you satisfy the memory card requirement and minimize the loss when you eventually replace the card for the inevitable cheaper versions.

Paying $100 for a 32GB card is in no way a good deal.
While it's pretty hard to rationalize $100 for 32 GB, I think it's somewhat ridiculous to go for the stand alone 4 GB over the 8 GB unless you don't intend to take digital distribution seriously or you're using it as a dummy card for switching to another account (IF a reformat is absolutely necessary). Just $10 more doubles the amount of memory and ensures something like Uncharted doesn't hog the whole thing (though even with 32 GB that's big enough I'd rather get a physical copy).

Although, I DO think comparing it value-wise to an iPod Touch can ease the 32 GB price, viewed less as a 32 GB accessory and more that a 32 GB wi-fi Vita costs only about $50 more than a 32 GB iPod Touch, the former being much more powerful.

Ran rp

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446019#2

All you need. Many, if not most, of those badass titles are on the PSN. My personal favs: Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together (SRPG), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Turn Based RPG), and Maverick Hunter X (A damn good remake of MMX). A PSN sale might be coming, just might if Sony wants to capitalize on new, title starved, and psp-curious Vita owners. I'd hold off, myself.

Perfect, thanks, though a few notable games seem to be missing from the store. I probably would have loved Gitaroo Man.

I wonder if the map app will work properly with WiFi units. From the US launch thread:

Didn't see this posted:

Vita will get a new FW-Update at 8th february, which will add Video-Support for the camera-app and add a new map-app.
Also the content manager will get a mac version.

More:

http://andriasang.com/comzvj/vita_v16_update/

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

America, maybe less so, true. But maybe not as much as you think.

i think what the ultimate BC add on would be is :

1) replacable batteries
2) UMD drive and also ability to run games from mem card to keep usage down
3) lowish price tag
4) maybe even it's own screen as to not

... they could call it Playstation Portable or something. Might have to leave out an analog stick though. ;)

Anyways, I don't think $100 cost unit is going to happen - slash the price of the PSP and have a seperate "budget range" unit seems much more likely.

due to ability to play current release of Monster Hunter.

downloadable and part of the UMD passport scheme. I switched over to digital once it became available (though 3rd was really just sitting on a shelf - i didn't get round to playing it until late last year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom