• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Fixed1979

I logged on for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and was completely lost. I never bothered trying to keep up with the new patching. Need to do some serious reading to see what the hell is going on, I just wanted to play for an hour or so, but spent the whole time looking at the skill tree trying to figure out where to put my points...I even thought about rolling a new toon just so I could figure it out as I went along.

CzarTim

What's with the SWTOR topics in the gaming forum lately? It's like people don't even try to read what the article they posted and jump into overly sensationalist titles/first post. Hell even admits to it in the same thread by calling it spin.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471311
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/23/b...erything-to-keep-players-logging-in-to-swtor/

It's like having SWTOR not fail hurts them for some reason. So weird.

I had to stop reading those threads, it was making me so mad. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but people who want the game to fail baffles me.

Izayoi

Banned
I had to stop reading those threads, it was making me so mad. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but people who want the game to fail baffles me.
People who want the game to fail were probably those who felt burned by paying for an alpha test.

To be honest, I don't really blame them.

Draxal

People who want the game to fail were probably those who felt burned by paying for an alpha test.

No, I'm pretty sure most of them never even tried it out, by reading their comments.

As an aside, how close are we to have a new OT? At this point I would kinda like having the OT updated.

CzarTim

No, I'm pretty sure most of them never even tried it out, by reading their comments.

As an aside, how close are we to have a new OT? At this point I would kinda like having the OT updated.

PM Billy with changes, he'll update. New thread after page 200

Miletius

What's with the SWTOR topics in the gaming forum lately? It's like people don't even try to read what the article they posted and jump into overly sensationalist titles/first post. Hell even admits to it in the same thread by calling it spin.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/23/b...erything-to-keep-players-logging-in-to-swtor/

Welcome to liking an MMO on Neogaf? All MMO's get the same treatment until they go (if they go) F2P. Just get used to it because it'll never get better. You just learn to ignore the threads or read it with a bit of amusement. Not saying that people don't have legit opinions to discuss in there but a lot of it is just baiting or whining.

FLEABttn

Banned
Most stuff on the AH is cheap and often better than quest rewards. Players spend more money on training and crafting than buying new gear generally. My recent alt bought 4 pieces of new gear on the AH last night for less than the training of a single skill upgrade at lvl 40. Being geared is far more useful for speeding up and making the leveling process smooth.

What makes players poor is the ridiculous costs of leveling up your skills and especially speeder training. Level up and you suddenly got to pay 70k on upgrading a couple skills.... lame.

If the lowbie gear is cheap...then the "damage" done to the market for that gear is minimal. Especially given how much in daily commendations it costs to buy the things. It's not like the market for the things vanish. If someone spends a month to get legacy gear for a single one of their alts, I don't see why they should be punished by not having it scale. As the gear currently is, it's worthless.

cad-20120326-ac2df.png

I feel bad because it's CAD, but it is actually funny for once

gatti-man

Get real. Swtor at launch was still a good experience. It was better than most retail mmo launches obviously better than an alpha and better than a beta.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Are healer operatives viable in PVP/PVE or should I just stick to the middle tree?
They're painful to level in PVE solo because your DPS companions kinda suck and because you can't attack "through" your ally for target of target. You end up hitting tab then shooting then f1 f1 to heal, ad infinitim. If you could re-order or provide priority to their powers (rather than just "use or don't use), it might be better. It does give you an excuse to go back to using cover and snipe, though, because there's no point in trying to run up and stab people.

Do you know what an alpha test is? Or does it just sound like one worse than a beta test?

Izayoi

Banned
Get real. Swtor at launch was still a good experience. It was better than most retail mmo launches obviously better than an alpha and better than a beta.
Do know what an alpha test is? Or does that just sound like one worse than a beta test?
I'm well aware of what an alpha test is. You'd think bugs that prevent you from completing a raid would be stamped out before beta, even. I alpha tested for LoTRO and all of the fights and mechanics worked long before there were even proper models for bosses, or textures for the room. How do you explain that? SWToR's launch was sloppy, the game was rushed out the door, you can't deny that.

Milly79

I'm well aware of what an alpha test is. You'd think bugs that prevent you from completing a raid would be stamped out before beta, even. I alpha tested for LoTRO and all of the fights and mechanics worked long before there were even proper models for bosses, or textures for the room. How do you explain that? SWToR's launch was sloppy, the game was rushed out the door, you can't deny that.

...and we're off!

markatisu

Everyone wants f2p because gamers are cheap news at 11.

Pretty much

I always find that hilarious though because people love wanting f2p and then do not realize they will probably spend more money over the f2p option then just subbing.

Not to mention the f2p option just begs developers to nickel and dime people to death. People think day of release DLC or cutting the story out and making it DLC is bad, its essentially what happens in f2p MMO's.

Isaccard

Pretty much

I always find that hilarious though because people love wanting f2p and then do not realize they will probably spend more money over the f2p option then just subbing.

Not to mention the f2p option just begs developers to nickel and dime people to death. People think day of release DLC or cutting the story out and making it DLC is bad, its essentially what happens in f2p MMO's.

I feel like F2P brings down the quality of a title. I quit my last MMO (DC Universe Online) when they announced F2P. =/

markatisu

I feel like F2P brings down the quality of a title. I quit my last MMO (DC Universe Online) when they announced F2P. =/

I think it helps in some cases and hurts in others, Star Trek online is much better now that is F2P but they make you buy everything.

I only payed for DC Online for a month or so before quitting, it went to F2P and that can't even get me to log in after the novelty of the DLC went away.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
DDO going F2P saved it from from going under and basically made it a far better game. But it's really the only shining example I can think of where F2P resulted in a total turn around in both game health/population and content.

aett

Last day of the plague... I hope I can sell my remaining DNA samples at a decent price, and if not I'll buy a color crystal and hope to sell that later.

NeoGAF dislikes anything MMO. If something is announced as one it's filled with moaning and groaning. It's not surprising. Add that plus the hate for anything BioWare/EA and this is what you end up with.

Whenever I see threads like that I just either ignore them or skim through them for amusement. You always get the crowd of people who post "herp derp EAWare lolololo" and fill the thread with 4chan crap.

Cystm

Last day of the plague... I hope I can sell my remaining DNA samples at a decent price, and if not I'll buy a color crystal and hope to sell that later.

Oh, fuck me. Been so busy with work/DIABLO III BETA, I have not had time to grind those samples. I am going to have to pay out the ass today to get my crystal, and pet.

Trouble

Banned
White and Red Rakling pets
3 Green-Black crystals (+41 Expertise/Crit/Power)
Title for downing the 3 world bosses
Full containment officer gear set (just need to get the belt tonight)

I think I've done everything there was to do for this event.

Draxal

White and Red Rakling pets
3 Green-Black crystals (+41 Expertise/Crit/Power)
Title for downing the 3 world bosses
Full containment officer gear set (just need to get the belt tonight)

I think I've done everything there was to do for this event.

All 8 companion customizations (and pray to the rng gods).

Gvaz

Banned
If the company is doing anything and everything to keep players logged in, it sounds like the game isn't doing that great, which means there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Logically then, SWTOR sucks.

game set match

Anyways, I'm really pissy you can buy the crystals with credits instead of having to get it the long way

Cystm

If the company is doing anything and everything to keep players logged in, it sounds like the game isn't doing that great, which means there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Logically then, SWTOR sucks.

game set match

Sure, it sounds like that....

If you are a fucking reddit zombie. Keep your bullshit in the bullshit thread, please.

Anyways, I'm really pissy you can buy the crystals with credits instead of having to get it the long way

Yeah, they should make all new content require little to no effort to obtain. That'll work out well.

You should check these out:
tSTTu.jpg

Hope they help.

Francois424

Neo Member

I think they are still trying to find ways to have ppl drain all those credits that where injected at launch via the stack-selling bug,
and then by the 24/7/5 accounts ppl that abused the slicing skill (killing it for the rest of us, honest folks).

That's one of the reason so many things cost millions of credits imho.

CzarTim

I think they are still trying to find ways to have ppl drain all those credits that where injected at launch via the stack-selling bug and then by the 24/7/5 accounts ppl that abused the slicing skill (killing it for the rest of us, honest folks).

Or they are just trying to get a handle on inflation -- which fucks up pretty much every MMO economy after a while.

I think they are still trying to find ways to have ppl drain all those credits that where injected at launch via the stack-selling bug and then by the 24/7/5 accounts ppl that abused the slicing skill (killing it for the rest of us, honest folks).

Well if they were too cheap, people would have bought every single legacy unlock in the first week. It's a time sink, they want people to have incentives to play as with all things MMO.

Woorloog

Banned
Or they are just trying to get a handle on inflation -- which fucks up pretty much every MMO economy after a while.

Inflation which is a product of economic systems that don't make any sense. Every MMO should have an EVE online like realistic system (if we forget inexausthible mineral sources, lack of food and before the next patch, loot producing more minerals than mining...).

Don't mind me.

CzarTim

Inflation which is a product of economic systems that don't make any sense. Every MMO should have an EVE online like realistic system (if we forget inexausthible mineral sources, lack of food and before the next patch, loot producing more minerals than mining...).

Don't mind me.

No arguments here.

Heysoos

This game has a really horrible habit of fucking kicking me out of winning Warzones. It's gotten to the point where it actually does it often enough to piss me off. It's not THAT often, but I always expect it to happen 2-3 times everyday during Warzones. It's ALWAYS during the ones I'm winning too. This is the ONLY game where I get kicked from servers. Never have had a problem with my connection (Road Runner) on Xbox Live, PSN, or other PC games. Just this ONE. It's really pissing me off. Anyone else experience this?

Francois424

Neo Member
This game has a really horrible habit of fucking kicking me out of winning Warzones. It's gotten to the point where it actually does it often enough to piss me off. It's not THAT often, but I always expect it to happen 2-3 times everyday during Warzones. It's ALWAYS during the ones I'm winning too. This is the ONLY game where I get kicked from servers. Never have had a problem with my connection (Road Runner) on Xbox Live, PSN, or other PC games. Just this ONE. It's really pissing me off. Anyone else experience this?

Happened to me once on the 3 PvP matches I played. It was a Huttball and I got kicked litteraly 10sec before the match was won. I've not tried PvP matches since tho.

dunno on pub, but empire is still active and raids frequently every week

Republic GAF is very active and even growing. Lately our problem hasn't been finding enough players to raid but rather how to include everyone in the operations. Right now we have more than 16 players geared enough for hard modes.

Sounds good! I really want to get into the endgame content that I have yet to see as well as be apart of a healthy populated guild.

If I do make the jump I'm thinking of making either a Shadow or Assassin.

Don't mind me.

Inflation happens in EVE as well. It's a natural part of all economies, if you don't have it in some form then you just don't have an economy.

markatisu

I played PvP for 3hrs on Saturday night and 4hrs straight on Sunday and never had anything happen.

I have been booted from FP before and space missions the way you are talking about

Gvaz

Banned
Sure, it sounds like that....

If you are a fucking reddit zombie. Keep your bullshit in the bullshit thread, please.

Yeah, they should make all new content require little to no effort to obtain. That'll work out well.

You should check these out:
tSTTu.jpg

Hope they help.

What are you even saying here? The crystals should be hard(er) to obtain, not easy (via credits)

isny

napkin dispenser
Ended up with four pets, four crystals, a full set of RP armor for my companion, and the world boss title at the end of the event. Now that it's over though I'll have nothing to do, they need to open up server transfers stat so I can get into a raiding guild. (The one I was in was tied for first on our server until people started dropping off, now we have about 3 active members, lol)

Enosh

Enosh

<- EU bloodworthy
or you mean people in the EU gaf guild? (is there even one still left?)

also did second boss on HM yesterday (the new raid), got them to some 6% QQ
tanking, healing and tactics are fine, just need more deps

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well, I ended up with 7 of the 8 companion customizations (missing the Trooper one which sucks because I have one although I haven't played him yet), both pets and 2 crystals. Pretty good haul. I really liked the event, look forward to seeing what they have planned next!

Top Bottom