• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

I was bored and experimenting with my second gif ever, don't hate me...was about to post elsewhere but then it was like...oh shit its still a spoiler.

Its pretty bad lol

Xdwxo.gif

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Can someone who's well versed in this box office stuff explain to me what numbers avengers is on in the US and what that means for the films placing in the all time or at least opening weekend list?
I heard from someone that it broke the Harry Potter record there, but since I have no clue at all as to how these things work, I'd like to read a nice explanation from someone who knows their shit.

Solo

I gotta run for about 7-8 hours so I'm going to miss the fucking awesome box office GAF meltdown that will happen in about 5-6 hours.

Solo am cry

:_(

$190M though, book it!

I stand by my based-on-nothing $190M guess!

Speaking of the box office, wasn't there some guy in this thread about a week or two ago who kept insisting that the movie won't make it past 250 million domestically? Has he just disappeared or change his tune with the numbers coming in?

Solo

Speaking of the box office, wasn't there some guy in this thread about a week or two ago who kept insisting that the movie won't make it past 250 million domestically? Has he just disappeared or change his tune with the numbers coming in?

He's still here and he will lose his avatar bet within 6 days of The Avengers being released :lol

Log4Girlz

Can someone who's well versed in this box office stuff explain to me what numbers avengers is on in the US and what that means for the films placing in the all time or at least opening weekend list?
I heard from someone that it broke the Harry Potter record there, but since I have no clue at all as to how these things work, I'd like to read a nice explanation from someone who knows their shit.

Its had the 8th highest midnight gross with 18.7 million (Highest amongst Superhero pictures) and an 80.5 million dollar gross for Friday (this includes midnights) which is behind only Harry Potter. Considering the normal patterns seen for Comic movies, this gives it a trajectory of 180 to 200 million opening weekend box office which is ahead of Harry Potter (which Avengers will beat on stronger Saturday and Sunday numbers, at least that's the projection).

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3437&p=.htm

Went again yesterday with my father and his girlfriend. Cinema was still rather packed, and people loved it again. Even though they didn't laugh at all scenes, they cheered during the shot of all Avengers in a circle, which was awesome and still gets me all giddy. They also cheered at Thanos.

The only Avengers I can see showing up for sure in A2 are War Machine, Ant-Man (as much as I hate him) and Wasp. Most others seem too hard to show up in a solo film and too overpowered to be introduced the Hawkeye and Black Widow way.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Its had the 8th highest midnight gross with 18.7 million (Highest amongst Superhero pictures) and an 80.5 million dollar gross for Friday (this includes midnights) which is behind only Harry Potter. Considering the normal patterns seen for Comic movies, this gives it a trajectory of 180 to 200 million opening weekend box office which is ahead of Harry Potter (which Avengers will beat on stronger Saturday and Sunday numbers, at least that's the projection).

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3437&p=.htm
Thanks for this. Really can't wait to see what this all means later on when the actual numbers start coming in.
Went again yesterday with my father and his girlfriend. Cinema was still rather packed, and people loved it again. Even though they didn't laugh at all scenes, they cheered during the shot of all Avengers in a circle, which was awesome and still gets me all giddy. They also cheered at Thanos.

The only Avengers I can see showing up for sure in A2 are War Machine, Ant-Man (as much as I hate him) and Wasp. Most others seem too hard to show up in a solo film and too overpowered to be introduced the Hawkeye and Black Widow way.
I believe you've seen this film at least 4-5 times now.lol
I don't think anyone on GAF has seen it as often. I wish I could do that. But I am always scared of ruining that first magical showing if I go a second time.

And yea, I think War-Machine will be in the next one, and should be. And I agree about Ant-Man, he's terrible and absolutely dull. I think his might actually be a blight on the Marvel run if they do give him his own film.

Oh and the Avengers circle shot. That was so great. I could feel my heart racing watching that. Just so perfect. Just stunning. I couldn't restrain myself from exclaiming ''wow'' at that moment.

There was another great line of dialog during the Avengers' argument on the ship. From Thor:

Hahaha you humans are so petty....and TINY.

It's not as funny in print but he delivered it perfectly.

Mr. Sam

At least Ant-Man brings something unique to the team. If you bring in War Machine - who's never really been a core Avenger - then you may as well bring in Beta Ray Bill, USAgent, Red Hulk, Bullseye and, well, I can't think of a Black Widow equivalent. Black Cat? I don't think "Well, he's been in the films" is a good reason either, otherwise we may as well have the Warriors Three & Sif and the Howling Commandos rocking up to help out as well. In short, fuck War Machine - he's Iron Man with machine guns and without a sense of humour.

Besides, Hank Pym is a plenty interesting character, and is tied heavily into a lot of Avengers lore. If things go to plan, he'll also be the star of a pretty good film directed by Edgar Wright. It's a shame Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are probably tied up with the X-Men.

Log4Girlz

At least Ant-Man brings something unique to the team. If you bring in War Machine - who's never really been a core Avenger - then you may as well bring in Beta Ray Bill, USAgent, Red Hulk, Bullseye and, well, I can't think of a Black Widow equivalent. Black Cat? I don't think, "Well, he's been in the films" is a good reason either, otherwise we may as well have The Warriors Three & Sif and The Howling Commandos rocking up to help out as well. In short, fuck War Machine - he's Iron Man with machine guns and without a sense of humour.

Besides, Hank Pym is a plenty interesting character, and is tied heavily into a lot of Avengers lore. If things go to plan, he'll also be the star of a pretty good film directed by Edgar Wright. It's a shame Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are probably tied up with the X-Men.

Ant man sucks, let's not include him.

Tizoc

pEOPLE need to stop using that image, it happened only once and Hank's been redeeming himself ever since.
Also EMH Hank Pym is awesome.
Somebody post the pages rom Mighty Avengers where he smart talks Reed Richards and Norman Osborn.

Glass Rebel

I concur. It will be entertaining to see how Marvel handles the buildup to the next film. Will they introduce potential new Avengers in the solo flicks like they did with Fury, Hawkeye, Coulson, and Widow? If they did, I could see Black Panther or Falcon in Captain America 2, Valkyrie in Thor 2, She-Hulk in a new Hulk film, or Mockingbird in a Shield flick or Captain America 2.

Outside of the aforementioned women, there is Scarlet Witch, Spider-Woman, and Ms. Marvel that have some fame to them, but they are going to be much harder to introduce in the upcoming solo films. I guess we could include Firestar since she did have a slot in the Spider-Man cartoon and even Tigra, but they are highly doubtful. The last two female Avengers that are a draw are Storm and Invisible Woman, although both of them are off limits.

If not for an addition through the solo films, the most curious film they have in pre-production is Ant-Man. That film will have the most impact on potential new roster additions for Avengers 2. Plus, would allow for the introduction of Ultron and Vision from a canonical standpoint. I hope that film does well since it has a lot of implications on the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the heroes and villains.

I'd love to have "minor" characters appear in the solo flicks and Hulk or just Banner to be featured in IM3. Ruffalo is an awesome actor.

Ant-Man is a curious case since I don't think anyone besides Iron Man, Thor or Cap can carry a film solo but since they have neither Spidey nor Wolverine there isn't really much they can do about it. That and I didn't like him in Ultimates. Maybe Dr. Strange or Black Panther could make a good film but I'm not that familiar with them.

Anyway, I actually don't even want to think about Avengers 2 right now, Cap needs a move where he can shine first. Cap 1 was good but it could have been better.

hamchan

pEOPLE need to stop using that image, it happened only once and Hank's been redeeming himself ever since.
Also EMH Hank Pym is awesome.
Somebody post the pages rom Mighty Avengers where he smart talks Reed Richards and Norman Osborn.

We should post more pics of Ultimate Hank Pym who is much worse.

aceface

Every Saturday evening show in my small town was sold out except for the 10:00pm one- managed to get tickets for that. Awesome movie, my only complaint was they pull a tired deus ex machina
at the end blowing up the control ship to disable the army...I thought they were all organic soldiers damnit! It gave Stark a great moment though so I couldn't be too pissed.

Log4Girlz

Every Saturday evening show in my small town was sold out except for the 10:00pm one- managed to get tickets for that. Awesome movie, my only complaint was they pull a tired deus ex machina
at the end blowing up the control ship to disable the army...I thought they were all organic soldiers damnit! It gave Stark a great moment though so I couldn't be too pissed.

That's the worst trope ever. F YOU GEORGE LUCAS for starting that shit.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, does the box office thread open soon? Most of these predictions on future movies where painful. Anybody who didn't consider the idea that Avengers was a sign that the whole game has been raised (as opposed to "man, now I wonder if [highly anticipated film] will even come close to Avengers!" is basically crossed out from consideration. This incredibly high number makes me wonder how much higher movies like spiderman/tdkr are gonna go than previously thought.

This seems to happen every time there's a huge opening weekend though. People caught up in the hype of the moment before the next hype moment comes along.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Watched it last night in IMAX 3D. It was so exciting waiting in line to get into the IMAX Auditorium with everyone 40 minutes before the movie started. The crowd was awesome, they knew exactly what the were in for and even all sat down until the VERY end of the credits. They even boo'd a man for answer his phone right before the previews started lol. They were probably eight scenes where the whole theater was clapping, and all the jokes hit home perfectly. I'm not really going to go into spoilers right now, but Hulk was god-like, literally. Every character was awesomely portrayed and the movie just felt like a comic coming to life.

My girlfriend and I left both agreeing that it was one of, if not the best superhero movies of all-time (she thought it was the best) and also by far the greatest movie experince of the year. We both want to go see it again! Also the 3D conversion was actually pretty good, especially on the alien fight scene. Spiderman and Prometheus look like most sees in 3D IMO.

What's the consensus on the 3D IMAX version of the film? Is it worth it? I don't really care for seeing it in 3D but I do like IMAX.

Edit: Wow, Skiesofwonder kind of answered my question while I was asking it. I'm impressed.

jett

D-Member
What's the consensus on the 3D IMAX version of the film? Is it worth it? I don't really care for seeing it in 3D but I do like IMAX.

Edit: Wow, Skiesofwonder kind of answered my question while I was asking it. I'm impressed.

This movie was not filmed in IMAX or in 3D, just so you know.

I thought it was great. Quality of the 3D was pretty good, and wasn't at all gimmicky.

Teflar

Since showing Thanos at the end of the Avengers, do you think it would be wise for Marvel to cast someone as the role of Squirrel Girl if they go in that direction keeping true to the original comic?

Ripclawe

Banned
Finally they realized Hulk needs to interact with other characters and not be misunderstood poor creature. Just accept Hulk Smash and move on.

jett

D-Member
It'd be a real mistake to give Hulk a standalone movie(yet again). What Avengers has shown is that he works really well as a secondary/support character.

edit: wut, why did you edit your post ripclawe

Ripclawe

Banned
It'd be a real mistake to give Hulk a standalone movie(yet again). What Avengers has shown is that he works really well as a secondary/support character.

wrong thread! putting it in the Marvel cinematic thread!

bah, fuck it,

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/marvel-has-big-plans-for-the-hulk-as-hero/

Marvel execs are notoriously tightlipped and no formal announcements have been made. But now SVP Marvel licensing Paul Gitter tells Forbes magazine that he and his colleagues have been “pleasantly surprised by the phenomenal response” to the Hulk already &mdash&; even before The Avengers opened. “His sales are up in a major way. We repositioned him from where he was always misunderstood to now depicting him in a more heroic and aspirational manner.”

Now fanboys have their first look at Mark Ruffalo’s iteration of the Hulk and they like what they see. Gitter says Marvel “will spin him off to a stand-alone program next year,” which Forbes says is “presumably supported by another big budget franchise movie in 2015. The entertainment studio is also exploring ways to promote Hulk as a ‘corporate icon’ similar to MetLife’s usage of Peanuts’ Snoopy, with Hulk’s image conveying a message about channeling strength to overcome workplace challenges.”

This is a marked change from what Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige told Collider recently. “…Every time I see a good take or a good storyline or read some good pages, I think, ‘Oh should we make a movie about this?’ But with the Hulk we’re gonna play it very carefully. We had varying degrees of success on those first two movies, so we’re not gonna say, ‘Oh we did it! Another one!’ We’re gonna be smart about it and play it out. There are no plans right now to do another Hulk. Hulk might be just the special guest in Avengers movies, who knows?”

Feige also told The Huffington Post that Marvel put “everything they had and everything they were going for into Hulk’s appearance in Avengers” so it’s “mission accomplished at this point.” According to Collider, a Hulk TV series is in development by Guillermo del Toro and Battlestar Galactica producer David Eick that would develop the original story of Bruce Banner in his mid-20s, and Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel Television, recently confirmed that the live-action show is in active development at ABC.

Also look for Marvel to “synergize” the Avengers into a “multi-platform brand that can live 365 days a year,” Gitter says. To that end, Marvel is introducing digital initiatives, new print and comic book titles, and The Avengers animated TV series in 2013, in addition to the threequel and sequel films in the works.

Although the Black Widow isn’t yet scheduled for her own stand-alone movie, the character’s lifestyle will inspire a collection of athletic gear and beauty products. As for whether Marvel superheroes will join Disney theme parks or star on Broadway, Gitter doesn’t directly confirm these initiatives, only stating that Marvel is “exploring all land-based opportunities, including stand-alone shows and attractions.”

Tobor

A hulk pic can work. I do think they should add in a secondary superhero for him to play off of, but with Ruffalo, this new CGI ILM has done, and a funny script, It could be amazing.

Tizoc

Make Hulk a secondary/support character to Bruce Banner. Problem solved.

Kud Dukan

Over at Deadline they are now saying the total this weekend may exceed $200 million. Absolutely amazing. I thought people saying that we're just talking crazy, but I guess I was wrong there! (glad to be wrong in this case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom