• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Oh man, if they
made the "rewrite history" line from the theme song into a storyline about going back in time to save Della (Donald's sister and the nephews' mom),
I would be blown away. That would be a crazy and emotionally-heavy direction to take the show.

both "solve a mistery" what happened to Della and "rewrite history" save her. It would be a great direction for the show, but Della was not really a big character in Duck's lore, it was created to just justify Disney's line of thought that characters cannot have sons, so nephews were always introduced to bring kids to the stories (Mickey nephews, Daisy niece, Minie nieces, etc etc, the only exception I can think about is Max, but he is a recent creation. But that last scene cannot imply something else. This show is going to places.

Pachael

Looking at the Twitter posts on 'history' I'm reminded that Barks' Scrooge first appeared 70 years ago (Dec 1947). So happy birthday ol' chap and may the next rainbow be not far away.

Kenai

I was excited for this, watched it just a bit ago finally. AMAZING. Seriously loved it. I'm in it for the long haul, I'm so happy the premiere was this good.

Hazmat

I DVR'd this last night and just watched it. It was excellent. Everything worked and the voice cast is just phenomenal. Name dropping Cape Suzette and St. Canard got me very nostalgic and excited.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't have Disney XD as part of my cable package, but I was able to watch it on Xfinity On Demand using the Xfinity Stream app. If you have a cable service with VOD, try searching for Ducktales.
Oh damn, that worked! Thanks, man! Watching now!

TreIII

Friggin loved it. My only complaint at this point is that I didn't hear "Mouseton" name dropped.

I mean, if we're going full old Disney comic/Disney Afternoon here, the completionist in me is just going to expect it, sooner or later!

Haven't watched it yet, but how are people dealing with the lack of Alan Young?

It's hard to imagine Scrooge without his voice. I'm sure the new one will be good, but that's my biggest hangup.

:(

I think Tennant doing essentially his own thing is the point. Nobody can replace Alan Young, he WAS the character, so you kinda just need to be your own version of him.

both "solve a mistery" what happened to Della and "rewrite history" save her. It would be a great direction for the show, but Della was not really a big character in Duck's lore, it was created to just justify Disney's line of thought that characters cannot have sons, so nephews were always introduced to bring kids to the stories (Mickey nephews, Daisy niece, Minie nieces, etc etc, the only exception I can think about is Max, but he is a recent creation. But that last scene cannot imply something else. This show is going to places.

A couple of things jumped out at me on Webby's board

diJoxMr.png

DM8vWq1.png

Jims

This was so good. Really impressed how they were able to stay faithful to the source material, but still modernize it and make tweaks here and there. I like that they're giving each of the nephews more distinct personalities, maybe my memory is bad but they always kinda blended together to me. Dewey struck me as being too stupid to live sometimes in the premiere, but I like that they gave one of the nephews the first actual character story. Louie is the best so far for me, though.

Really like what they did with Webby, making her a big adventure dork. Also love having Donald around for this.

Probably not going to follow the show (don't have cable, anyway) but I think my nephews and nieces will really like it. Maybe I've just been out of touch with the stuff aimed at younger folks these days, but it feels like there is a lot of exciting stuff in television animation going on the past 5-10 years. Not sure if it's just more cartoon kids growing up and becoming producers or what.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

diJoxMr.png

DM8vWq1.png

Is this show going to go all Gravity Falls on us with all sorts of clues, foreshadowing, and hints?

It's hard to imagine Scrooge without his voice. I'm sure the new one will be good, but that's my biggest hangup.

Tennant is fine. He's puting his own spin on it, and has the character a bit more lively, but it totally fits with the tone of the show.

Busaiku

I dunno why I never wondered about their parents.
Maybe I always thought they were secretly Donald's from someone not Daisy.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just finished up, and in short... I frickin' LOVED it. All the characters are great, it's funny, and it looks like they're setting up an overarching storyline. Got a kick out of all the treasures from the original show being in the garage. Really took me back, and glad to see this living up to that version. I'm so in on this show.

Fancolors

This was way way better than anything I was expecting.

Love every character so far. Love their interactions. Love the hints of things to come.

Neoxon

Two other questions besides
what happened to Della
  • When's Magica De Spell?
  • When's the next Capcom/WayForward DuckTales game based on this show (with the same voice cast)?

Neoxon

We all miss Alan Young & nobody's gonna replace him, but David Tennant does a great job because he doesn't try to emulate Alan Young. Of course, David Tennant actually being Scottish also helps.

wait, I haven't watched it yet, but does the show have continuity or is it purely episodic?
Going by what they set up in these two episodes, I feel like it'll have continuity. I'm not sure if we got legit confirmation either way, though (someone please chime in if the producers said anything about this).

Future

I think Tennant doing essentially his own thing is the point. Nobody can replace Alan Young, he WAS the character, so you kinda just need to be your own version of him.

I think since scrooges personality is so on point I eventually just excepted his new take. He seems to be acted just as well so far

wait, I haven't watched it yet, but does the show have continuity or is it purely episodic?
There will be on-going storylines that stretch across the show and seasons, but most episodes will be self-contained with slight hints/progression towards the bigger arcs. I'm sure when
Glomgold
comes back, there will be a quick mention about what happened to him in this episode.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Very jarring for me initially, but halfway in so far and the bulk of the characterizations all around are uniquely altered In some fashion that it has gotten easy to accept. (It's not like you just have a new Scrooge transplanted into the old show here). Well, Scrooge and Launchpad are closest(the rest are very different), but Tennant is giving a somewhat different take on the role.

Also helped once the exposition episode ended(first half) and the real adventure began in the second half, at least for me right now.

Blues1990

Which stories (from the comics) do you guys think the show is going adapt? 'The Golden Helmet' would be my personal pick, as I'm certain that 'King of the Klondike' will be adapted (among the other Rosa stories) in some fashion.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
They really need to subtitle Donald. His lines range from easy to understand, doing a double take and then comprehending it, and completely unintelligible unless you're capable of pausing, rewinding, and repeating what he said.

Yup, my only problem with the show from what I've seen.

That was so AWESOME. It fixes all that was wrong with the original ducktales and brings back what was missing from the Carl Barks / Don Rosa comics, plus a correct adaptation of certain things to modern times without falling in the Quack Pack horror, like better characterizations and a bit of much needed drama..

For me, it's been like getting finally getting an adaptation of the original comic books rather than a ducktales reimagining, and I can't be happier. My favourite things, spoilered just in case:

- it keeps the comics colours. Black sailor outfit for Donald, red suit for Scrooge.

- Donald is an hybrid of cartoon and comic. He is still a barely understandable butt monkey, but has less rage tantrums and can make himself useful. Add the fact that he is mentally scarred about the noodle incident and how this has made him overprotective. Compared to the original Ducktales were I felt betrayed whenever he made an appearance and he was nothing like the comics.

- Scrooge redesign becoming more of a safari suit, and even jokes about english pronuntiation. I can't stop seeing him as a TimeLord in disguise and imagining the cane hides a sonic screwdriver, but it's still awesome. Please, I need to see a Tardis on the background.

- The nephews. modern clothing while not falling on the edgy quack pack redesigns, Huey keeping the style of the original while adding a layer of depth and abandonment issues with Dewey, while still making him likeable.

- Webby, motherfrikking webby. She was the most depressing thing in the original and I felt bad about labeling her as the scrappy. This time she is a female character girls can look up, she's never going to be a "Lady in Distress" and has a lot of Rapunzel in her, plus a bit of Hermione Granger.

- Ms. Beakley, Duckworth was a useless character with no spine and mediocre sarcasm. Beakley was there just to scream and panic. Now she is a battle butter that irradiates authority, looks like she is made of steel and takes no bullshit. For some reason I expected her to be asian. Kinda disappointed she isn't, I don't know why.

- The nods in the garage. One of the construction robot heads, a golden sun...

- That mythology gag. Nowadays we all know that swimming in coins is going to be painful and we have seen the Family Guy parody. Everybody is scared thinking that that dive will end badly, and then they discover that Scrooge can actually swim in coins.

Can't wait until September.

Edit: Agreed on Donald subs. If he is going to be more of comic book Donald, he needs to be understandable. Giving Donald a real natural voice would creep out most people, though.

Rlan

I think there's a middle ground of making Donald easier to understand but still raspyish. The dialog he has after getting hit with the ironing board at the start is STILL incomprehensible to me, and I've re-watched it tons of times.

Feffe

diJoxMr.png

DM8vWq1.png
"Scotty McDuck" is probably an inside joke. Carl Barks made a very basic family three where Scrooge's dad was referred to "Old Scotty McDuck". Nowadays nobody think it's Canon (it also includes a strange backstory for Gladstone) hence the "alternate timeline"

treebarks50s.JPG

The second picture might be a foreshadow to an adaptation of "The Old Castle Secret", which iirc was also adapted in the old show. Or maybe the sequel Don Rosa wrote, "A Letter From Home", where Scrooge reunites with his sister Matilda after sever years. One of the most important stories to understand Scrooge'psychology ad his relationship with Donald.

https://funny junk.com/channel/feels/A+letter+from+home/MrpxGZe#87b4ef_4931812

u_neek

While the visual style is growing on me, I still find the general colour scheme a little too drab. Other than that I absolute loved this reboot!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think since scrooges personality is so on point I eventually just excepted his new take. He seems to be acted just as well so far
Scrooge is a LOT like the doctor. The character ALWAYS was. Mrs. Beakley said it in this episode but it’s always resonated in the comics. He always has the nephews in tow, and as Beakley said “you’re safer in a death trap in Atlantis with Scrooge McDuck than you are in the most secure vault in Fort Knox”.

So while I agree that it was a little hard hearing the Doctor at first, I don’t think it’s uncalled for or a poor performance by Tenant. I think the characters are so similar and hearing his voice you just equate the two. Aside from that he did a tremendous job.

The adult kids are ok. Yes it’s a departure but no different than Phineas and Ferb, Rick and Morty, Family Guy, Venture Bros, etc.

Jesus they better have a way to let me watch this without having to get a cable subscription. Seems ass backwards if they don't.

There is a Disney XD app on iOS, Roku, and I assume Android. The live stream requires a cable subscription but it appears you can now watch the Ducktales episode without one.

I liked tennant (even though maybe capaldi would have been better so he doesnt soind so young sometimes), but thats as someone who watched the original ducktales in spanish.
And like Alan Young our scrooge voice actor also died some years ago :( (he was also the voice of homer simpson), he was much younger than alan young even if he sounded like an old man with scrooge. I hope we get as good replacement as tennant is for the english version.

UberTag

But jim cummings already goices pete in thr mickey shorts
Surely he can still goice dw!
My thought on this is that if they bring Darkwing on for a cameo or one-off appearance they'll keep Cummings in the role.
If they're looking to springboard DW into a major recurring character or give him the full reboot treatment, they'll probably look to recast him.

Snaku

Banned
This was everything I could have hoped for. Perfectly captured the spirit of the original, great voice acting, holding the theme back until the beginning of the second part was genius, loved the visual gags and references, akdkdmaa...

DHCNOFCU0AAKy-f.jpg

Hi, Roxanne.

This blew my mind. Had such a big crush on Roxanne when I was a kid, and was totally not expecting her to show up.

Also hearing about spoonerville, isnt spoonerville clearly placed in California during A Goofy Movie (with mickey and donald also appearing on it)? Does that mean that the ducktales/darkwing/talespin cities are place in an alternative earth also were the majority of countries and amerucan states still exist? If so is duckberg and saint canard also in California?
Also are the new mickey shorts connected to the same universe? We have to go deeper lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
While the visual style is growing on me, I still find the general colour scheme a little too drab. Other than that I absolute loved this reboot!

Same for me. Throughout watching I kept wishing for a brighter, punchier pallette. In a way the show kind of evokes an old comic in visual form, but it's not very striking or vivid. The old show often felt the colors leapt off the screen.

Also hearing about spoonerville, isnt spoonerville clearly placed in California during A Goofy Movie (with mickey and donald also appearing on it)? Does that mean that the ducktales/darkwing/talespin cities are place in an alternative earth also were the majority of countries and amerucan states still exist? If so is duckberg and saint canard also in California?
Also are the new mickey shorts connected to the same universe? We have to go deeper lol

I don't know about the DuckTales universe, but Carl Barks' duckverse places Duckburg in the fictional state of Calisota, which is indeed located in what should be the northern part of California. Other countries and states still exist and sometimes they use the actual locations and other times they use fictional expies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just saw the premiere, loved it.

I know many have nostalgia for the original series, but I think this one trumps over it for one simple reason: The characterization even in this premiere is a lot better than the original series. Scrouge himself I can see some back and forth arguments for, and Launchpad is honestly pretty much the same (if maybe a bit goofier), but literally every other character I would say is an improvement over the original tv series iteration. Houie, Douie, & Louie all used to be pretty much the same character in the old series, them having separate personalities and ways to identify them more than the color of their shirt does help a lot. Webley and Mrs. Beakley are big improvements too over the originals in my opinion. and this may potentially be the best rendition of Donald Duck I've seen, and it's nice to have him as a main character on the cast. It really helps sell one of the strong themes of the series, which is family, since all the members of the 'family' are all individually interesting and enjoyable to watch, and there's fun chemistry to seeing them together.

I also think it's telling the creators have a great love both for the comic and the original tv series, and I think they've done a good job so far selecting some of the best elements to pull from both for their own iteration. It's got some more of the heart of the original tv series, but some more of the adventure from the comics. I also think these first two episodes are paced well, and I appreciate them doing the more modern thing to have weekly adventures but also an over-arching plot thread and character development.

Also a lot of obtuse and unexpected easter eggs/cameos, just for them to show what big nerds they are but also aren't disruptive to the show so far if you don't know them (and maybe we'll see some of them more developed later?).

Totally on board with this.

Top Bottom