• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Kioshen

Thanks, guys. I ain't giving up but I just feel like I'm really in a slump.

My "crazy" random deck that got me to Arena 7 steamrolled through Arena 6. I've made a lot of changes since I hit that wall in Arena 7 and fell back to Arena 6. Well, unfortunately I'm stuggling in Arena 6 now.

I just played a King Level 7 (I'm 8) and he had Inferno Dragon AND Electro Wizard. It's just not fair how this game's RNG leaves some players in the lurch for so long with the Legendaries. I still don't have one!

Edit: and the next guy I play is a 7 with a Miner. How do you counter that asshole when he already has dudes all over your shit?

A legendary is just a unit with a special effect. The nuance is that it's a unit that starts out at tournament level. So it has normal interaction with a level 9 common, level 7 rare and level 4 epic. Essentially, your balloon is equivalent to a "legendary" because it's a level 4. I wouldn't sweat it too much because if they have a legendary and still are around arena 6 or 7 they aren't very good either.

You're in a clan, don't you? Friendly battles level everyone's card to tournament standard both ways. Try asking your clan mates for matches and if your deck doesn't seem to work on the same level then maybe there's something wrong with your play or deck and they can help. There's only so much people can recommend without seeing how you play.

UFO

Banned
I just played a King Level 7 (I'm 8) and he had Inferno Dragon AND Electro Wizard. It's just not fair how this game's RNG leaves some players in the lurch for so long with the Legendaries. I still don't have one!

I'm not trying to be rude be you're really hung up on not having any legendaries, and it just doesn't matter. None of them are OP, and getting one or more will not help push you higher. Just focus on leveling the cards you do have, donate as much as possible to get to a higher king lvl, spend gems only on the challenges (classic), don't buy too much from the store in order to save gold for upgrades.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Thanks, guys. I ain't giving up but I just feel like I'm really in a slump.

My "crazy" random deck that got me to Arena 7 steamrolled through Arena 6. I've made a lot of changes since I hit that wall in Arena 7 and fell back to Arena 6. Well, unfortunately I'm stuggling in Arena 6 now.

Edit: and the next guy I play is a 7 with a Miner. How do you counter that asshole when he already has dudes all over your shit?

I don't know that there is anything more that people can say or recommend. I'm not sure what you are expecting, but it takes time to climb the ladder. You need to be patient.

I consider myself a pretty good player. I've played since global launch, my high is 4300+ trophies, I've played around 7000 games, and I've "only" had a win ratio of 51%. Sometimes I lose because I face a higher level, or "better" cards, or my decks weakness, or I have a terrible starting hand versus theirs, or am up against a skilled player, or am not paying attention, or am on a terrible connection. And sometimes I just play terribly, sometimes even just one dumb mistake. But I don't get uptight about it, especially when you take into account the ladder is "auto correcting" and soon enough I am the opponent who has the higher level and better cards.

You need to detach yourself from individual wins and losses, and play the long game. Work on learning your deck rather than chopping and changing constantly. Make small tweaks as you get new cards and unlock legendaries. Determine your central card and level that one card at a time, then when that is leveled work on the next most important card. Join a clan and request and donate aggressively. Walk away from the game for a few hours if you have a losing streak. Watch a Youtuber like Chief Pat or Orange Juice who explores different decks and strategies and know about elixir tradeoffs and exact troop placement.

There is no fast way to the top of the ladder. Even if you have money to spend.

Brakke

Banned
Oh wow yeah. I'm @ 4046 (bit off from my high off 4117) with 53% winrate. I think I'm stalled while my levels catch up, I'm level 10 and see mostly 11s, with occasional 10s and 12s.

Best deck tho:

Mortar
Knight
Archers
E-Wiz
Skeletons
Ice Spirit
Fireball
Log

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Oh wow yeah. I'm @ 4046 (bit off from my high off 4117) with 53% winrate. I think I'm stalled while my levels catch up, I'm level 10 and see mostly 11s, with occasional 10s and 12s.

Best deck tho:

Mortar
Knight
Archers
E-Wiz
Skeletons
Ice Spirit
Fireball
Log

I'm (recently) level 11. I still see the occasional level 10 in the 4150-4300 range. They mostly have a hog/inferno tower deck variant which suggests that is overpowered or more effective relative to other decks. Though occasionally you see an unconventional deck like yours which I think has a lot of surprise value enabling you to get the upper hand early on, also allowing an under leveled player to punch above their card and level weight.

In fact, when I come up against a level 10 I'm usually more wary than going into battle against a level 12. You just know the level 10 has something up their sleeve to be "higher than they should be".

Brakke

Banned
Yeah whenever I hit a 12 I just think "this is gunna be tough because you'll have me on levels but I know you ain't shit".

HotHamBoy

As far as me being hung up on Legendaries go, that's really just me being frustrated with the RNG. The game is not very equal opportunity.

Basically, it doesn't matter to be if they are really good or not, it's more of a status thing. And they also offer tools that other people don't have access to, this means certain strategies are privelaged.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
As far as me being hung up on Legendaries go, that's really just me being frustrated with the RNG. The game is not very equal opportunity.

Basically, it doesn't matter to be if they are really good or not, it's more of a status thing. And they also offer tools that other people don't have access to, this means certain strategies are privelaged.

Over time, you'll end up with a bunch of Legendaries, even without paying. There is a Legendary chest in the chest cycle which means you are guaranteed to get one or more eventually, not to mention the chances of picking one up in any chest at all.

Again, patience.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Over time, you'll end up with a bunch of Legendaries, even without paying. There is a Legendary chest in the chest cycle which means you are guaranteed to get one or more eventually, not to mention the chances of picking one up in any chest at all.

Again, patience.
Just cross your fingers it's not an inferno dragon. He's right though, I just got a miner in a crown chest.

I think the only Legendaries that I ever normally used were Ice Wiz and Log.

Ice Wiz hasn't been great ever since he stopped one shotting skeletons. It's just that those two leggies are the ones that you build around decks, not the other way around.

Dunlop

i have like 6 legendaries and i use none at the moment, they're really not that OP

At lower levels just invest in Elite Barbarians, I constantly see level 8 or 9 players using lvl 11 EB.

I hate the card with a passion, but until they are properly nerfed you shoul use them to help level up

UFO

Banned
As far as me being hung up on Legendaries go, that's really just me being frustrated with the RNG. The game is not very equal.

I didn't get a single legendary until I was almost a lvl 10, now I'm 2/3rds of the way to lvl 11 and have everyone except bandit, and like 4 at lvl 2. They will come, and most of them you won't use.

HotHamBoy

I didn't get a single legendary until I was almost a lvl 10, now I'm 2/3rds of the way to lvl 11 and have everyone except bandit, and like 4 at lvl 2. They will come, and most of them you won't use.

I guess Clash Royale frustrates me because it still has so many bullshit F2P conventions that aggravate me. It's otherwise very fun, but compare it to other F2P card-collecting games.

Most have have cheap card packs with a 1:10 drop rate for the highest rarity cards. If nothing else, they have a pity timer like Hearthstone.

Then you have a lot of games where you are guaranteed a highest-rarity card for a premium pack that generally costs between $5-10.

Compare that to Clash Royale, the highest cost chest is $30 and only has a 40% drop rate for the highest rarity. That's ridiculous.

You also earn free packs in lots of CCGs without a stupid wait timer to open them. They all offer a way to create the card you specifically want with "dust" or the like.

Anyway, I enjoy Clash Royale but there's just a lot of shit I wish would go away so that the game could go from good to GREAT.

Legendary cards appear in the shop once you reach 3000+ BTW. Either a guaranteed pick for gold, or a random one for gems.

I may remember wrong but the thing is that Heartstone does a different approach to the game. It offers tons and tons of cards with no card levels. Dust is spent on creating the card you want. Clash Royale offers very few cards in comparison, which are powered by levels. Gold is essentially dust, you recycle cards by donating them into gold, which is spent in buying cards or leveling them.

Legendaries used to be a lot worse. I nearly quit the game when they were launched because they felt too P2W: low elixir, high impact, chance with drops or gems only. But now they're very balanced cards. I guess Sparky is still trash, Infernal Dragon is still underpowered and I still don't see the point in Bandit.

Brakke

Banned
Bandit ain't bad. She's just less sexy than the others, her gimmick isn't as conspicuous or cool. To me, the real standout Legendaries are Ewiz and Log. Ewiz is just a great defender, and the ability to reset Sparky charges and Inferno channels can be clutch. Log sweeps Skarmy and Goblin Gang off the board, but it wouldn't be nearly so good if those two cards weren't as pervasive as they are.

Ice Wiz is ok if he can one-shot Skeletons, but you usually can't expect that he will. Too bad, he pretty much single-handly boosted me up 400 crowns when I first got him. Princess would be way better if Log wasn't so common... I guess Miner does something no other card can do but I had a hard time playing him. Sending him zipping off to enemy tower is so fun it's hard to control yourself and play him smarter as a defender lol.

I think the only "interesting" Legend is Lavahound. All the other ones have substitutions available in their roles at similar Elixir costs. But Lavahound is really the only tanky flying card in the game (and one of only two flying building-seekers).

HotHamBoy

My clan sux. This is my my first time participating in Clan Battle and nobody is ever online. I have managed to get in in two, and they are really fun, but even during the second my Clan mate abandoned me halfway after just dumping two Elixer pumps which did me nothing. But I still won. Heh.

Anyway, I noticed that participation is pretty low. We got to Level 8 Clan Chest during last weekend's event but we only have 1/15 on Level 2 right now.

Or maybe we're just bad.

UFO

Banned
My clan sux. This is my my first time participating in Clan Battle and nobody is ever online. I have managed to get in in two, and they are really fun, but even during the second my Clan mate abandoned me halfway after just dumping two Elixer pumps which did me nothing. But I still won. Heh.

Anyway, I noticed that participation is pretty low. We got to Level 8 Clan Chest during last weekend's event but we only have 1/15 on Level 2 right now.

Or maybe we're just bad.

Leave and join a better clan. Being in an active clan is really important to advancing quickly.

Matush

Good clan battle game guys. 4 GAFfers against each other, heh.

I've jumped clans several times. Never really found an active one. This one is actually the most active ive been in...
Hey man, if you are looking for active clan, we still have a few spots open in NeoGAF (#20Y9PQ). Write in the join request that you are from GAF and let us know if you need to lower trophy limit.

Brakke

Banned
Hehe I love playing xbow in Clan Battle. It's real potent when you have a solid teammate like Matush to help defend it.

Cooter

Damn, these clan battles are fun! They should totally be permanent. Sitting on my couch with my son and wrecking people is quality bonding time right there.

JoeNut

well i got Bandit in a free chest, she's actually really fun to play with. Since i've come back i've been picking cards that are more "fun" than effective, as i don't really care about ladder, so i stuck her straight in my deck.

It's quite funny that you can't hit her once she goes into rush mode, people get mad as hell.

...Still not OP though lol, her HP is so low.

zoukka

well i got Bandit in a free chest, she's actually really fun to play with. Since i've come back i've been picking cards that are more "fun" than effective, as i don't really care about ladder, so i stuck her straight in my deck.

It's quite funny that you can't hit her once she goes into rush mode, people get mad as hell.

She's really fun and I wish I had her. Like a mini-hog that punishes people who commit too heavily in one lane, if they don't have cheap ground units she will do insane damage to a tower alone for the cost.

J0dy77

I saw a fun deck on youtube that had a 1.8 elixir average and used mirror to drop double bandits on towers. Don't have bandit so can't try it out but seemed like a blast.

Cooter

My son got the bandit and when he used it during clan battles it was extremely fun. I want one.

jamsy

This game is so frustrating sometimes.

I've been playing this for a little while. I just go to level 7 and the Frozen Peak arena (8). For the last two or three arenas, I never get matched up to someone with an equal level to mine (it honestly probably happened once or twice). It's always people two or three levels higher, who have higher level cards and whose towers have more HP. I still manage to do alright but the whole system pisses me off...

How is it fair that when I beat a higher level opponent, I get the same number of trophy points than if I beat a lower level opponent? Or if I lose to a guy who's three levels higher than me I get deducted the same number of points as when I lose to someone three levels lower than me? This ranking system is absolutely ridiculous.

Cooter

This game is so frustrating sometimes.

I've been playing this for a little while. I just go to level 7 and the Frozen Peak arena (8). For the last two or three arenas, I never get matched up to someone with an equal level to mine (it honestly probably happened once or twice). It's always people two or three levels higher, who have higher level cards and whose towers have more HP. I still manage to do alright but the whole system pisses me off...

How is it fair that when I beat a higher level opponent, I get the same number of trophy points than if I beat a lower level opponent? Or if I lose to a guy who's three levels higher than me I get deducted the same number of points as when I lose to someone three levels lower than me? This ranking system is absolutely ridiculous.
It's almost all based on trophy count. Blame yourself for being so skillful. lol.

I do share your frustration though. Playing against higher cards and towers is a pain in the A.

Looking for help - I plateaued at about 2450 running this:
Witch
Valk
Musket
Ice Sprite
Baby dragon
Fireball
Goblins
Spear goblins

My style is to absorb and counter what they come with, then push back and chip away. I inkow I need a win condition card. I've been bouncing up and down the trophies trying to incorporate giant, pekka, etc.
Only legendary I have is miner. Any deck ideas to play around with that fit my not aggressive style?

Looking for help - I plateaued at about 2450 running this:
Witch
Valk
Musket
Ice Sprite
Baby dragon
Fireball
Goblins
Spear goblins

My style is to absorb and counter what they come with, then push back and chip away. I inkow I need a win condition card. I've been bouncing up and down the trophies trying to incorporate giant, pekka, etc.
Only legendary I have is miner. Any deck ideas to play around with that fit my not aggressive style?

You could try:

Giant
Musketeer
Miner
Fireball
Zap
Minions
Bowler
Tombstone

Almost all of the cards can be used defensively, and once you defend a push, play a giant at the bridge in front of your defenses and turn it into a big counter-push. After their tower locks on to your Giant, send the Miner to their tower.

You could try:

Giant
Musketeer
Miner
Fireball
Zap
Minions
Bowler
Tombstone

Almost all of the cards can be used defensively, and once you defend a push, play a giant at the bridge in front of your defenses and turn it into a big counter-push. After their tower locks on to your Giant, send the Miner to their tower.
No bowler or tombstone unfortunately

HotHamBoy

I just had a very strange match-up.

Arena 7

My oppenent was King Level 1, no clan, 4 Legendaries - Graveyard, Lavahound, Lumberjack & Bandit.

But I beat him, barely. What a strange match.

Anyway. The game is offering me a Legendary chest for 500 gems, so that's $5 to me. Pull the trigger?

Lord knows I'll get an Inferno Dragon. I'd be happy with just about anything else, though.

Brakke

Banned
That's super weird. How much health do level 1 towers even have? Just keep cycling Fireball directly at their throne until you kill it, lol.

I spent money on the "Special Offers" a couple times. 500 gems for a Legendary is a "good" deal. When you break into legendary arena, shop will offer Legendaries for 40k gold a pop, which is like $15-$20 to buy in cash. Of course, in that case you're picking your card (or waiting a month for the card you want to appear in shop...).

Just remember, it's actually super hard to spend less than $100 on this game and have it actually improve your competitiveness. If you're comfortable buying a Legendary because you think it'll be fun to have a new toy to play around with, then go for it. If you're thinking of buying it to break out of a trophy slump, then you're walking into a trap and you'll just resent your wasted money.

HotHamBoy

That's super weird. How much health do level 1 towers even have? Just keep cycling Fireball directly at their throne until you kill it, lol.

I spent money on the "Special Offers" a couple times. 500 gems for a Legendary is a "good" deal. When you break into legendary arena, shop will offer Legendaries for 40k gold a pop, which is like $15-$20 to buy in cash. Of course, in that case you're picking your card (or waiting a month for the card you want to appear in shop...).

Just remember, it's actually super hard to spend less than $100 on this game and have it actually improve your competitiveness. If you're comfortable buying a Legendary because you think it'll be fun to have a new toy to play around with, then go for it. If you're thinking of buying it to break out of a trophy slump, then you're walking into a trap and you'll just resent your wasted money.

Good advice.

Just fyi, his towers only had 1400 health which is likely the only way I was able to beat him as it was quite close. It's just really weird that a person would have 4 Legendaries, some from higher Arenas, and still only be King LV 1 in Arena 7.

I've been wondering, is Heal just going to turn out like a weaker, cheaper spin on Rage? In practical terms, seems like they'll have similar outcomes.

Heal would be closer to Freeze than Rage imho. In similar ways, they let you ignore hits for a brief period. Heal is an enabler, Rage is a "win more" card.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Heal would be closer to Freeze than Rage imho. In similar ways, they let you ignore hits for a brief period. Heal is an enabler, Rage is a "win more" card.

Yeah I guess. Either way it's a "get one or two more hits in" kind of card.

I could see it being effective for Minion Horde recovering from Zap or taking fire from Princess especially.

JoeNut

I saw a fun deck on youtube that had a 1.8 elixir average and used mirror to drop double bandits on towers. Don't have bandit so can't try it out but seemed like a blast.

i got beaten like 10 times in a row so i don't think this is gonna work haha

Cooter

My deck right now is working really well but damn, if I make one mistake I'm toast. Lavaloons still give me trouble (I lose) and the occasional golem deck too but I sure am handling hogs and elites well.

E Whiz
Miner
Log
Princess
Musketeer
Skelly army
Tombstone
Poison

EDIT: Ok, since post I'm getting worked by golems regulary. Arghhhh I've swapped poison for fireball and that is helping a little.

Dunlop

My deck right now is working really well but damn, if I make one mistake I'm toast. Lavaloons still give me trouble (I lose) and the occasional golem deck too but I sure am handling hogs and elites well.

E Whiz
Miner
Log
Princess
Musketeer
Skelly army
Tombstone
Poison

EDIT: Ok, since post I'm getting worked by golems regulary. Arghhhh I've swapped poison for fireball and that is helping a little.

I'm currently hovering at about 3300 using

Goblin army
Mega minion
Hog Rider
Princess
Log
skelly army
e whiz
furnace

So far pretty well rounded against anything I have come up against

Top Bottom