• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Rumor: Xbox 720 DRM, Achievements, Friendslist, and Share feature info

statham

Sources tell Polygon that the current version of the next-gen console includes a next-gen approach to video sharing, anti-piracy protection, social networking and a massive expansion of the Xbox 360's popular achievement system.
Microsoft is also trying to come up with a system for video sharing though all of the details are still being locked down. According to our sources, currently the next Xbox will capture your gameplay as if it were a DVR, allowing you to go back and select highlights. That function can be turned on or off, or a player can set up the console to automatically capture a recording when certain in-game events occur, like a headshot or collecting a specific achievement. Auto capturing those "magic moments" will be a feature only available on next-gen games.
Those videos can then be uploaded directly from the console to social sites, like YouTube, for sharing.
The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.
With the next Xbox, developers and publishers will be able to add more achievements to a game after launch, without the need to add DLC. This is designed specifically to allow developers to tweak player behavior, perhaps urging players to check out specific areas of a game or get past a difficult spot. Next-gen achievements can also be tied to broader events, like a weekend challenge or a communal goal, like contributing a set number of kills to the bigger goal of 10,000 kills over one weekend. Companies can also create cross-title achievements, like awarding points for finishing the first chapter in two different and unrelated games published by the same company. Some of these bigger, cross-title, communal achievements will be a requirement for all titles.
The next-generation Live won't have a cap on the number of friends a person can have. The way players add friends will also change. Now instead of it being a two-way friendship only, people can choose to follow one another, sort of like Twitter.
more at the link.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268782/next-xbox-drm-achievements-live

jbug617

Banned
Sounds like it leaves it up to the publishers for always on needed for games

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

I like the idea of per-game communities and constant in game updates and feedback.

For example when making a conversation choice in Mass Effect, you could see who on your friends list or the total # of people who picked what choice. It'd be pretty awesome

Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

Pretty comfortable in saying that Sony will allow the same.

Alx

What's so "repulsive" about those new achievement tweaks ? The special events part, or the cross platform one ?

Polygon said:
Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

The fact that offline gameplay, always online and one-time checks are supported, means that in the future, publishers will have much greater control over copyright protection for their games.

SOUNDS GREAT!

7RZV

The auto recording triggered by certain game states is cool... but I am in now way interested in something that "Rethinks DRM"

Orca

Didn't they patent some kind of 'in game guide' thing a year or two back, accessible while in-game, where you could view or make a guide for how to beat a boss and include screenshots and video?

JoeFenix

What's so "repulsive" about those new achievement tweaks ? The special events part, or the cross platform one ?

All of it, it's a marketers wet dream.

Adding crosslink achievements and event based achievements, fucking garbage!

Raide

Microsoft is playing around with cross-platform achievements as well. Ideally, these achievements could be earned by playing a game on the next-gen system and then using a companion app, a website or maybe even by playing a specific game, like a prequel to a next-gen title, on the Xbox 360.

Interesting idea. I can see them pushing the 720, Windows 8 and Win 8 Phone stuff heavily. Also it might give news players a reason to use the BC features of the console to play old games for unlocks!

gaming_noob

All of it, it's a marketers wet dream.

Adding crosslink achievements and event based achievements, fucking garbage!

You aren't forced to pay attention to any of the achievements, you know.
Personally, I really dislike Multiplayer achievements from this gen.

Riggs

Banned
Crosslink achievement, buy Pizza while performing a Headshot in Halo 4 after having finished Halo 3 with your friends!

SOUNDS GREAT!

7RZV

The auto recording triggered by certain game states is cool... but I am in now way interested in something that "Rethinks DRM"

after spending this current generation with the xbox360, it doesn't even matter cause im buying a PS4.
2pac.gif

John Lackey, 2pac, I fucking love you guys.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would imagine many peoples workplaces block game sites.

Yeah I think there's a balance between "quote nothing" and "quote everything" that's ideal, in the same way a game site doesn't report another site's story with zero details.

I'll edit in a few snippets.

Edit: Nevermind the OP already did.

Raide

"Heya gamer, we recorded you failing at that puzzle 10 times today! Let me download a video walkthrough for your weak gamer ass."

Nemesis_

MiiVerse is excellent though

If something similar to MiiVerse is on PS4/Xbox I would be delighted

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it isn't. I think it's fantastic and it's interesting that when Nintendo (attempted) to go the online route that they did it in their own unique way.

I absolutely love MiiVerse. :p

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sources tell Polygon that the next Xbox will indeed have some form of an always-on requirement. That will be both to support the suite of non-gaming entertainment applications that will be launched alongside the console, like streaming video services, but also as a possible anti-piracy tool. Currently, the console will support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks using an internet connection. Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.
I'm pretty sure by this point they're trolling. The end of the paragraph flatly contradicts the beginning of it.

bebop242

Get achievements for using an app, website or playing other games where the only common denominator is the publisher? Yuck. The special event achievements sound cool though.

dose

Under Microsoft's current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.
Cool, cover yourself incase it doesn't happen.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment on their support of always-online DRM, changes to Live and achievements and addition of video capture to the still-unannounced console and will update this story if and when they respond.
Good luck with that.

Top Bottom