• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance [The film]

Lime

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/mma_no_gif.gif[img]

Man's truly an awesome Art Director and his direction with the other artists on the team have created an incredible mark on the cyber punk genre with their own flare with the implementation of renaissance to mold in the old with the new. It's truly something special and it's why I consider Human Revolution the best presentation shown in a game out of this generation (this did dethrone Mass Effect/Bio Shock me when I gave a long thought on this but they are very close). I can't wait to see the interesting stuff in the sequel in regards to what they had to pull back, especially Montreal and the ideas they had on some of the architectural surroundings with the hub they was working on. An updated engine post Tomb Raider with better character models and features will truly make this even more fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it wasn't a commendable art style - just saying that the piss filter detracted from the visual look of the game and that it seems weird when creators put themselves as main characters into their created artefacts - it comes across as narcissistic. Both points are easy to correct for the next game.

This has nothing to do with how well-accomplished the overall art direction was.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't say it wasn't a commendable art style - just saying that the piss filter detracted from the visual look of the game and that it seems weird when creators put themselves as main characters into their created artefacts - it comes across as narcissistic. Both points are easy to correct for the next game.

This has nothing to do with how well-accomplished the overall art direction was.

I can understand that but if you look at the different iterations of the character he was fairly different from the Art Director but I would say some of his choice is a coincidence or that the Art Director made himself look like the character but there is definitely a hint of him (or vis versa) from it. But I don't give a fuck there because Adam Jensen is a fine looking character and an awesome design none the less. :lol: One of the better character designs we've got.

If DX1 comes after HR then where do we go from there? How about re-writing DX2 as if JC lives and then having him be the protagonist once again? I'm also down for more Jensen, he was good. Just give him more personality, make his story more personal.

Well there's still a lot to witness before the events up to Deus Ex 1
the fall of Everet and the rise of MJ12 with Page, the nano technology, the destruction of the statue of liberty, Simmons, the true birth of the Denton project
so much more that strongly makes me believe that Adam Jensen's story will continue, among with Pritchard included (man is always alive no matter what)
especially with the unknown party from Missing Link which heavily hints on rescuing Adam Jensen at the right time and how that he will be fully focus for the bigger cause on the things he witnessed at the end

Story sequel is going to be godly.

Orayn

Except for fans of the TR franchise. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make :lol

I'm sure people will praise Thief 4 to the heavens if it turns out how I'm expecting it. But Thief fans are not going to welcome a hybrid stealth game with likely worse level design, it'll be TR/Hitman levels of ugly on this board for a long time if those rumors are right. Which they probably are, because pure stealth games "don't sell anymore".

What if it's like Human Revolution, where stealth and non-lethality are have the deepest, most interesting mechanics and are encouraged to the point of making them the "real" way to play? (Horrible boss fights excluded.) If Thief 4 combined those aspects of DXHR with detection and (non)lethality requirements that get more stringent at higher difficulty levels, the end result would be very close to a classic Thief game while still letting Joe Dudebro murder his way through the campaign and miss all the cool stuff.

What... what is this Wii U talk in here? What the hell?

A sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably going to be announced @ E3 and all you can do is talk about a Wii U port of the old game?

Heathens.

What if it's like Human Revolution, where stealth and non-lethality are have the deepest, most interesting mechanics and are encouraged to the point of making them the "real" way to play? (Horrible boss fights excluded.) If Thief 4 combined those aspects of DXHR with detection and (non)lethality requirements that get more stringent at higher difficulty levels, the end result would be very close to a classic Thief game while still letting Joe Dudebro murder his way through the campaign and miss all the cool stuff.

I think I would be okay with this.

My biggest fear would be turning the franchise into an Assassin's Creed-like game.

Glass Rebel

I know you're not saying it has to be exactly like Human Revolution but for it to be a proper stealth game, Thief 4 has to be deeper than line-of-sight stealth though. I didn't mind it for DX:HR but I didn't go in expecting a pure stealth game either.

lmpaler

I think I would be okay with this.

My biggest fear would be turning the franchise into an Assassin's Creed-like game.

Won't happen, HR sold well, but not annually well and it would completely destroy the franchise.

The real question is how is the ending of HR playing into this if it is a sequel? Reading game saves to start the story? I'm down for whatever except you know, pulling an IW and saying something of everything happened and we get a shit sequel and have to wait another decade for a good game....

Orayn

uh...

I mean, sure, if you want to talk in relative terms. But it's essentially crouch mode on and hiding behind cover.

Yeah, I know. My intention was not to be very charitable to the other aspects of the game. :p

I know you're not saying it has to be exactly like Human Revolution but for it to be a proper stealth game, Thief 4 has to be deeper than line-of-sight stealth though. I didn't mind it for DX:HR but I didn't go in expecting a pure stealth game either.

Well, Human Revolution had sound too, it just wasn't particularly good. I think enemies being able to independently notice your outline, see your movement, and hear you would be a good start. Being able to investigate an area after being informed by someone else would also be expected.

Remmy2112

Human Defiance sounds like a sequel, likely to focus on the rise of freedom fighter/"terrorist" organizations such as the Northwest/Nationall Secessionist Forces, X-51, Silhouette, and the government forces of UNATCO, as well as hidden organizations such as MJ-12. Looking forward to info on it.

Tacitus_

I hope they would just pick one of the endings and stick with it.

They could take a third option and have the game start when you're in the button room with the guys from Missing Link contacting you.

That said, if they want to preserve continuity then either Taggart or Darrow will be canon I think. Augs were hated in DX so it can't be Sarif, while the credits say that they'll salvage computer parts from Panchaea to build the Morpheus AI so sinking the whole thing is off the table as well.

Buft

Neo Member
I'm down for a sequel. Played Human Revolution twice through on Xbox at release and since then I've re-bought the game on Steam and I'm currently enjoying a playthrough with a mouse and keyboard, I personally think the game is one of the best this gen.

Cramoss

iwKK2.gif

Anyone who expected to see a new Deus Ex after such a short time since HR, was only setting up theirself for disappointment.

But maybe it's a movie tie in with a new game, who knows?

Replicant

I actually knew this a few days ago but didn't have the guts or heart to break it off to GAF in case I was wrong. But uh, I guess it's true.

Top Bottom