• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

I just tried changing VU cycle to 0 and the problem is gone!!! Thank you!!

No prob, I know the first instinct is to turn speed hacks all up, but some can cause some nasty side effects. VU cycle steal can definitely offer a boost in some games, but it above all the ones I've tried regularly causes the most issues. I had the same problem when I first started playing around with it :)

Tzeentch

Started playing FFX-2 again (been forever) and it looks AMAZING on the emulator at 4x native res. I'm playing using my original discs, is there any performance benefit to creating an ISO instead?

squall211

Started playing FFX-2 again (been forever) and it looks AMAZING on the emulator at 4x native res. I'm playing using my original discs, is there any performance benefit to creating an ISO instead?

For me personally, everything loads faster if you run off an iso. Also, running off the DVD can cause games to "hitch" at times.

MBison

Okay I know this has been asked a million times, but I'm about to play and want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this..

Final Fantasy 12.

Yeah yeah.

So I used the settings some guy posted on here a few pages back. I'm also using the latest build of pcsx2. I have plenty of computer horses (getting 60 smooth with these settings). Is there anything I should do to improve graphics even more? Sorry I'm a super newb when it comes to this stuff so I appreciate any help:

Plugin settings Graphics (using the GSdx 5334 plugin):

Direct3D11 Hardware
Interlacing: Auto
Scaling: Custom
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Texture Filtering Check
Enable HW Hacks Check (4x MSAA)

That's all that is checked.

Increase MSAA do anything still? Scaling should still be custom?

Thanks for any help!

Tomodachi

Increase MSAA do anything still? Scaling should still be custom?

Thanks for any help!

If your PC can handle it you could increase resolution to multiples of 16:9 as much as you want (I played at 2560x1440 for some time, but my PC isn't powerful enough to do solid 60 fps at that resolution so I had to stick to 1920x1080). You would get a slightly better picture quality with downsampling that way. I don't think increasing AA would make much of a difference and it could cause glitches.

Oh yeah, you probably used my setting but I made a little mistake when taking the screenshot, it was set to Direct3D11 but you should really choose Direct3D9 instead to avoid any graphical glitches, I remember something about black bars popping up with Direct3D11 and vertical lines between textures. I'lledit the post and point that out.

(Also, I'm assuming that your monitor original resolution is 1920x1080, is it?)

MBison

I'm using a LCD tv as my monitor so my max res is probably 1080p so I probably can't increase it any more.

Ill switch to dx9. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Pooya

don't set your internal resolution to that, you should be scaling instead, that way you might get graphic glitches and missing effects. Set it to 4x scaling, that means 4 times of the native resolution. FF12 is 512 x 3xx. so with at least 4x scaling you get something in 2xxx range horizontal an 12xx vertical. Your screen being 1080p doesn't matter here, you get a bit of super sampling here which will help with the graphics a lot. internal resolution here isn't related to the aspect ratio of your screen, just set it to 16:9 in game's settings and use 16:9 in window resolution setting in PCSX2.

don't use the AA hack either, performance hit is a lot and it causes other problems, AA your game with scaling like I said, much better results.

Pooya

here, like this.

gsdxv0j2e.png

windowsz3ktr.png

some version of gsdx might have another resolution option on top of the window, that's same thing as the window resolution. the thing that really matters is the internal resolution as you see in the image.

Oh yeah, you probably used my setting but I made a little mistake when taking the screenshot, it was set to Direct3D11 but you should really choose Direct3D9 instead to avoid any graphical glitches, I remember something about black bars popping up with Direct3D11 and vertical lines between textures.

Is this for FFXII only or for all PS2 games in general? I don't really do any type of serious gaming on PCSX2 but I always chose the DX11 when I want to play some games on the emulator.

Is this for FFXII only or for all PS2 games in general? I don't really do any type of serious gaming on PCSX2 but I always chose the DX11 when I want to play some games on the emulator.

FF12 only. Most games have fewer glitches and display faster in DX10/11 than they do in DX9. It's the exception, not the rule.

Having some trouble running FF XII.

When I use Hardware rending I get this:

See that? Some of the geometry isn't loading. But in Software rendering...

Everything is okay, but its all nasty and jaggy.

I'm running PCSX2 1.0.0
nVidia GT60m
Core i7
8gb RAM

I shouldn't be having any issues.

scitek

Does anyone know how to get rid of the lines on the left side and top of the screen in Shadow of the Colossus? I'm using the half-pixel offset hack to fill the screen all the way.

EDIT: NM, I just saw it's mentioned in the OP. I'll deal.

B.K.

My PC config:

Dual Core E5200 2.8GHz
GeForce 9800GT 1GB
4GB RAM
500GB HD

Can it run FF X?

You'll probably be able to play it with the low settings. My computer doesn't have quite the specs as yours and it can play the game with the default graphics settings and with the sound off.

Hellix

I always had problems running FFX-2. FFX and FFXII run perfectly fine at 4x native resolution on the other hand. FFX-2 just lags and the cutscenes are black screens.

Well, I managed to get the Final Fantasy X working on 1680x1050 as custom resolution. But it's weird, when I put Native 4x I got slowdown when the first boss in the game cast Demi, but when I only use the custom resolution the slowdown is gone, and actually the image quality is much better. Why is that?

Edit: And how do I apply the widescreen patch?

Dr Dogg

My PC config:

Dual Core E5200 2.8GHz
GeForce 9800GT 1GB
4GB RAM
500GB HD

Can it run FF X?

Very similar to my setup when I first started using PCSX2.

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 9800gt 1gb, 2gb ram.

You probably wont be able to up the internal resolution much, if at all and I had to faff about with speed hacks to get FFX and Kingdom Hearts to play smoothly but I am a picky bugger.

Changing just my graphics card totally improved everything though.

Very similar to my setup when I first started using PCSX2.

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, 9800gt 1gb, 2gb ram.

You probably wont be able to up the internal resolution much, if at all and I had to faff about with speed hacks to get FFX and Kingdom Hearts to play smoothly but I am a picky bugger.

Changing just my graphics card totally improved everything though.

Actually I managed to run FF X at the internal resolution of 1680x1050. It looks really good.

RPGCrazied

I don't remember the pop in textures in Final Fantasy XII was this bad, of course the last time I played it, was on the PS2 years ago.

Is there anyway to get MGS3: Subsistence to not run like shit? It drops in the teens sometimes in the videos and makes it unwatchable. Sounds weird at even 30fps. :/

I'm using completely stock settings for everything so I'm not sure if there's something I should change? I have an AMD quadcore, 12GB of ram, and an overclocked GTX 570, it shouldn't struggle this hard.

I might be an idiot here, but how the hell do I get the widescreen patches to work? Can't find a step by step guide anywhere and my own guess work haven't paid off so far.

jediyoshi

I might be an idiot here, but how the hell do I get the widescreen patches to work? Can't find a step by step guide anywhere and my own guess work haven't paid off so far.

There's two types. Ones that come in a pnach file or ones where you have to extract a certain file from the game, modify it, and use it to boot the game.

If it's a pnach, you just need to make sure it corresponds to your version/region of the game and drop it in the cheats folder. Then System -> Enable Cheats.

If a pnach file exists (and you want to keep the cheats in it), open both up in a text editor and copy/paste the stuff from the new one into the old one.

-

If the patch reads like

initial value (4:3)
A9000E3C 7CFACE25 0000C1C5 02000146 900080E6 E80020C6

changed to (wide)
4044013C 00088144 42000146 900081E6 8044013C 00088144

Then it means you look up the initial string in the file in a hex editor and replace it with the second string.

Open up the backup of the game in something like WinRAR to see its files. Look for the file in the top directory that starts out with the region code followed by some numbers and extract it somewhere.

Rumble Roses' reads like SLUS_209.70, Darkwatch's is SLUS_210.42, etc.

Download a hex editor, I use HxD http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352-10891068.html And drop the file from the game onto the editor. Go to Search -> Replace

In the 'Search for' put the initial value, in 'Replace with' put the new one. Next to Datatype select Hex-values and hit OK. The modified lines will turn red. Save.

Now you want to select the game in PCSX2, but not actually boot it. CDVD -> Iso selector, select the game. Then you just drag and drop the file you modified onto PCSX2 and the game should load up with the patch

coopolon

So do the pnach's really work? They're stable and what not? Or are they fairly experimental? Very interested in getting Persona 3, 4, and ffx in widescreen on pcsx2 (I know they're both on portables in widescreen, but I'd preferto play them on the big tv)

I started playing Kingdom Hearts on 1.0/1.1 and have this annoying blinking thing going on. Is there any way to get rid of it? I've missed with every setting, maybe i missed something.

Your rendering resolution is higher than the resolution that you're outputting, this is the very definition of AA.

Well, fuck you're right I guess, always just called it supersampling which I now see is an anti aliasing techique when googling! Had one huge slow down so far when I was getting sucked into the ocean from the boat, with audio messing up and everything but other than that it has been running great, also looking great, although a few times the pre rendered backdrops really sticks out.

coopolon

When using pnach widescreen patches, do I have to change the aspect ratio manually with f6 or does it do it automatically? Does the patch turn when you change to 16:9 or will it also be on in 4:3 and thus warp the picture?

Top Bottom