• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: In addition to all of the Expansion content, the Halloween festivities start tomorrow as well (no expansion required for it either!)

Gah, this OT is making want to play again.

All it costs is bandwidth (maybe that should have been the new OT title, I have a feeling a lot of folks are going to be tempted to come back
JUWnj.gif
)

I've always wanted to get into Guild Wars 2... Alas, no time!

It really doesn't have as much of a time investment as you'd think; because there's no gear treadmill (and no level cap increase with the expansion) you could have started playing 3 years ago at launch, gotten full Exotic-tier weapons and stopped playing this entire time. You'd be able to log in and pick up right where you left off, the only thing you'd have missed was the huge amount of content they've added.

You can pick it up and play it when you have free time and never worry that you're falling behind everyone else or missing out on whatever's new. Heck, you can even replay the Living Story (they add a bunch new content in episode-format every two weeks during each "Season") on your own time now, for free if you remember to log in when each episode is live.

Anno

Amazing OT as always, Retro.

If you're new or returning make sure to check out GAF guild. Been playing MMOs for nearly 20 years and this is easily the best group of people I've ever had the fortune of playing thousands of hours with.

Now I just need to worry about getting ready for Trick or Treat and the jungle.

Hubb

I'll be seeing HoT after I finish with the Halloween event. Wish they staggered the release/released the Halloween event 1 week earlier, but nothing I can do.

Once again, amazing OT, Retro! I appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

So, has anyone been able to use the Gamepad with W10 yet?

I'm so pumped to make my Rev but man is it a bummer I'm out of town for the weekend. Won't be able to make daily time-gated Ascended items either...should invest in a gaming laptop perhaps.

Hedge

I'll be seeing HoT after I finish with the Halloween event. Wish they staggered the release/released the Halloween event 1 week earlier, but nothing I can do.

Well, at least now all the xp you get from Halloween will go to masteries instead of just spirit shards.

bounchfx

holy shit, everything about this OP is amazing except for the fact that gaf still uses teamspeak/mumble instead of discord for some reason
come at me
but seriously I don't understand why anyone still uses those
love GW2, excited for this!

Fishious

I think I'm ready for HoT. Bought up mats I'll need and then some, have all crafting professions maxed, season 2 achievements done, max hero points on the characters I want to elite spec right away, tomes + equipment for Revenant, stuff queued up in my personal guild, and more. I keep telling myself I have everything lined up, but I have this nagging feeling there's something I've overlooked something.

Retro

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I was really just trying hard to find new and creative ways to do this game and its amazing community justice.

We've been playing together as a guild since launch 3 years ago, with no major changes in leadership, splintering or dying out (most GAF-based guilds don't last very long). I put the effort into the OT because so many awesome people put in the time to answer questions, run dungeons, teach new players and generally make our community kick ass. I've been playing MMOs for what feels like ages now and I've never been part of a group like GAFGuild.

If you're thinking of coming back, picking up the free core game to try it out, or you've already sprung for the expansion; post your username (name.####) and join up before our last 100 slots fill up!

(Don't worry though, we have a second guild once the first fills up, at launch we had 750 people and guilds are capped at 500).

holy shit, everything about this OP is amazing except for the fact that gaf still uses teamspeak/mumble instead of discord for some reason
come at me
but seriously I don't understand why anyone still uses those
love GW2, excited for this!

I've never tried Discord, but Teamspeak is what the Stormbluff Isle community uses for World vs.World / World Boss purposes; we didn't make that decision, but we support the server's war effort and encourage people to communicate there. Our mumble server is paid up for another two years (thanks to donations from members, did I mentioned this community kicks ass?) but when that gets close to running out I'll certainly give it a look.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'll probably grab this when its on the cheap, still need to get a character to 80 so no real rush. I've got an Elementalist nearing 70 but growing bored of her, might try a heavy armour character.

Soulflarz

Banned
Awww thanks :)

Great ot retro proud to be a guild member really great fun n helpful n just great to chat with

Pls I go :3 to just about anything, if you've been in the guild chat :V

Anyways, I'll be back tomorrow guys. But thats about it....Just for the start of the expansion probably :/

I never made it to max level in the base game and did not complete the person story, I think I ended up in the low 30s. Will I be able to take that character into the new stuff and play it sequentially and have the levels even out? Or will it be too hard or easy?

I never made it to max level in the base game and did not complete the person story, I think I ended up in the low 30s. Will I be able to take that character into the new stuff and play it sequentially and have the levels even out? Or will it be too hard or easy?

The new stuff is level 80 content (the xpac continues the story after Season 2 of Living World), so you'd want to finish your Personal Story first, then do Season 2 of Living World, then do the xpac content, ideally.

Or rush to 80 and go to the new zones. But I think it's worth doing the content in order.

The new stuff is level 80 content (the xpac continues the story after Season 2 of Living World), so you'd want to finish your Personal Story first, then do Season 2 of Living World, then do the xpac content, ideally.

Or rush to 80 and go to the new zones. But I think it's worth doing the content in order.

I see. Thanks

Soulflarz

Banned

Unless you can't be bothered to purchase LS2

>_>

<_<

Mxrz

On the plus side. You can level pretty fast these days. Tomes of Knowledge are given out on the login bonus and are handed out like candy in pvp. The Halloween Labyrinth has been one of the highest rates of xp gain too. Although with HoT launching too, might be less people this year. None of the story stuff is required of course. Hit 80. Jump into HoT if you like.

Forgot to snag an amulet before WvW went down. D'oh.

Retro

I believe we're also getting cross-guild chat with the expansion as well, so that should be nice.

Yep, you'll be able to read the guild chat for all 5 guilds if you're so inclined. We already have all of the officers in the Overflow guild (GAFO) and we're going to throw invites to a bunch of our active players so even if people have to wait in the backup guild they can still ask questions and such.

Why not try an Engineer, and join the Elite Class?

It's true, it even says so in the Seers Catalog.

To add to what Miktar mentioned, you'd need to reach level 80 before you could explore the new parts of the world added in the expansion. However, they're adding a bunch of new stuff to the core game like Map Bonus rewards (which give you valuable crafting materials just for doing events), changes to Fractals, etc. Because there's no level cap increase or new gear tier in the expansion, you don't have to worry about playing catch-up to everyone else if / when you decide to pick it up. Level 80 is pretty much the bar for entry for the new stuff.

Thinking about jumping in but it appears I cant recover my base GW2 account cause ArenaNet has some silly requirements that I cant fulfill (Character name and CD Key)

hmm this is weak.

Thinking about jumping in but it appears I cant recover my base GW2 account cause ArenaNet has some silly requirements that I cant fulfill (Character name and CD Key)

hmm this is weak.

Well, an HoT purchase gives you a whole new account with full access, so there's that....

Retro

I'd try contacting support. They're usually lightning quick, though the expansion might slow them down a bit. They're pretty tight with security, so while it may be an annoyance to recover your account it also stops people from getting their accounts compromised.

ARAH.

mileS

So if you own GW2 the expansion is still $49? hmmm. Everything looks great but I wish it was a bit cheaper.

Baleoce

Bought the expansion yesterday. Btw, I don't know if it's mentioned in the OP or not (and it's probably too late to do anything about it now considering the time), but:

"If you registered your core Guild Wars 2 game before 23 January, 2015 and register a pre-purchase serial code for Heart of Thorns any time before the expansion is released, you’ll receive a free character slot! Once you apply a pre-purchase serial code, you’ll be eligible for the slot regardless of where you bought the core game."

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, it requires your serial code to reset your password? I def don't have that anymore, lol

Zeroth

So halloween skins should be in the BL chests after the update? I've been saving some keys.

They are already in the game actually!

Been so long, tempted to get into this but scared I will be completely lost.

It's better to start sooner than later :)

Wow, it requires your serial code to reset your password? I def don't have that anymore, lol

It's possible to get a password reset without that, just talk to support. That said, be aware that with the expansion coming up in some hours, they make take some time to reply

To add to what Miktar mentioned, you'd need to reach level 80 before you could explore the new parts of the world added in the expansion. However, they're adding a bunch of new stuff to the core game like Map Bonus rewards (which give you valuable crafting materials just for doing events), changes to Fractals, etc. Because there's no level cap increase or new gear tier in the expansion, you don't have to worry about playing catch-up to everyone else if / when you decide to pick it up. Level 80 is pretty much the bar for entry for the new stuff.

I get it, but I really loved how on GW2 launch those early zones were filled with players. I played it some then but then put it down for awhile and when I came back the zones I were in were pretty barren of players. I expect the same will likely happen with the new zones, when this expansion releases there will be a huge surge of players running through it for the first time but later on if I ever get my character to that level they'll probably just be populated by people running specific things and not just progressing through them.

Retro

Nice OP, I keep ping ponging on a game to return to

I have an 80 engineer and Guardian, which to play lol

For what it's worth, both of them are getting really cool Elite Specializations in the expansion.
Engineer is best though.

So if you own GW2 the expansion is still $49? hmmm. Everything looks great but I wish it was a bit cheaper.

A little, but they've basically decided that whenever a new expansion releases, the core game + previous expansions will become free, making $50 the 'buy in' for the entire game from here on out. You can read more about it here; https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

So halloween skins should be in the BL chests after the update? I've been saving some keys.

Not sure how they're doing halloween skins this year, but we do know there's new oens coming.

Been so long, tempted to get into this but scared I will be completely lost.

Good news: last August they completely overhauled the game's early levels, implemented level-up rewards, a content guide that always points you towards a goal and a bunch of new tutorials, making it much easier to get into the game (or back into it, as the case were).

I get it, but I really loved how on GW2 launch those early zones were filled with players. I played it some then but then put it down for awhile and when I came back the zones I were in were pretty barren of players. I expect the same will likely happen with the new zones, when this expansion releases there will be a huge surge of players running through it for the first time but later on if I ever get my character to that level they'll probably just be populated by people running specific things and not just progressing through them.

No worries; not only are there tons of new players due to the core gaming being free AND a lot of players leveling the new Revenant profession, but back in April of 2014 they added a new Megaserver system that puts as many people into each zone as possible across servers. There hasn't been anything even approaching empty zones for more than a year now. I've leveled quite a few alts since then and I can't remember the last time I went more than a few minutes without bumping into players, even in the mid-level zones where the population tends to traditionally thin out.

Nowadays with megaservers, no zone is ever empty, or lacking players. The game keeps spooling up new instances and closing low-population ones, so players are always grouped together. If the map suddenly asks you if you want to swap to a higher population one (so it can close the one you're in), you get a buff to XP for saying yes, and get placed in a map with more people. And since the game's gone F2P, there's a LOT more people playing in all areas.

Well I just purchased the expansion despite not having played the game since launch or any intention of buying it prior to seeing this thread. Thanks for creating such a rad OT I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom