• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV English site open. Release date Sept. 16, 2008!

Sad_Panda

According to the site, release date is September 16...so much for a summer release :/ oh well, FF IV should be enough for my RPG summer fix anyway.

batbeg

Either it's me or the site is getting hammered, but it's working at least.

Though not a big fan of the only DQ game I've played, I've been encouraged to play at least one of these three, so I suppose I'll start with IV. :D I'm not a Toriyama fan, but I love his DQ designs, and plus I'll be supporting this fledgling-in-US series.

Haeleos

I have no interest in the ugly FF remakes, but this ... this I have been waiting for. There is light after Etrian Odyssey 2.

Teknoman

20kdvn7.jpg

History has been made :D

ivysaur12

Banned
I wonder if "Zenithia" is their name for the trio? Seeing those logos in English is just so weird.

And I've never played these before, I'm really excited. The set-up for DQ4 sounds awesome.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! :O

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I loveeee that scrolling map. I don't know if I should buy it again or import DQ5....

Philia

I wonder if there's much difference between the SNES versions and these. IV I'll definitely DEFINITELY replay again since it been... oh my god, 15 years or so since I played it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I was kind of hoping for a summer release for Dragon Quest IV, but I wasn't realistically expecting it.

Besides, I'm too busy being happy that the fifth and sixth games were confirmed for release. :D

JayDubya

Banned
YES. V is so damn good.

This and FFIV DS remake this year make me rather happy.

Now, on the non-remake front, if only there was some word on DQIX.

NolbertoS

Well, now I can "officially" say that DQ IV, V and VI will be coming stateside soon. Never doubted Dragona, Red Scarlett or Aeana about the games coming stateside, but as Red Scarlett said, I was afraid they'd get "Heartbeat'd" Now most likely DQ IX will take awhile before getting released and hopefully with more DS sales, SE will see the potential to remake DQ I - III in DS graphics, just so I can have the entire collection on a handheld.

donny2112

Background:
I'm not typically big into RPGs (save Fire Emblem), though I have played quite a few (e.g. Golden Sun, Earthbound, DW1, Mario&Luigi, Paper Marios). I did really like Dragon Warrior (NES), but the fact that your party followed you around like a snake (I've never really liked that) in DW2 made me decide to pass on it. (When you get very few games per year, you end up passing up games for ticky reasons.) I'm considering DQIV (even bought DWIII (GBC) recently to try to see how it went), but I'm still not 100% sure.

Questions:
Can someone explain how the series goes? I've heard about the stories being in three episode arcs (e.g. 1-3 have ties, 4-6 have ties), but are they any other ties between the games? Can someone explain how DQIV would be viewed by someone who only really played DW1 in the series? Do your party members follow you around like a snake in DQIV DS?

donny2112 said:
Background:
I'm not typically big into RPGs (save Fire Emblem), though I have played quite a few (e.g. Golden Sun, Earthbound, DW1, Mario&Luigi, Paper Marios). I did really like Dragon Warrior (NES), but the fact that your party followed you around like a snake (I've never really liked that) in DW2 made me decide to pass on it. (When you get very few games per year, you end up passing up games for ticky reasons.) I'm considering DQIV (even bought DWIII (GBC) recently to try to see how it went), but I'm still not 100% sure.

Question:
Can someone explain how the series goes? I've heard about the stories being in three episode arcs (e.g. 1-3 have ties, 4-6 have ties), but are they any other ties between the games? Can someone explain how DQIV would be viewed by someone who only really played DW1 in the series? Do your party members follow you around like a snake in DQIV DS?

Just play DQIV through VI as they get released, and then come back and tell us. :p

VII and VIII are related too. Just not as closely as IV - VI which is less tightly knit compared to I - III.

Aeana

Philia said:
I wonder if there's much difference between the SNES versions and these. IV I'll definitely DEFINITELY replay again since it been... oh my god, 15 years or so since I played it.

The differences between the original versions and the remake versions of Dragon Quest games are always huge.

NolbertoS

donny2112 said:
Background:

Question:

DQ I - III is referred to as the Loto trilogy. Pretty much all 3 games tie into each other, as u discover how the legend of Loto started and continued through the generations by fighting the next evil villain that menaced the Land. I recall awhile back that DQ IV to VI was referred to as the Zenithian trilogy. I can't say much as I never got the chance to fully finish DQ V and VI.

Regarding your party following u like a snake, yes they're always behind you. In DQIV they introduced the wagon, so you got a wagon to hold your extra party members.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Iam Canadian said:
I was kind of hoping for a summer release for Dragon Quest IV, but I wasn't realistically expecting it.

Besides, I'm too busy being happy that the fifth and sixth games were confirmed for release. :D

I don't know what sort of crazy calender you use in Canadia, but September 16th is still summer here in America!

Wooo! America!

Top Bottom