• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capture the WORST screenshots of otherwise gorgeous games!

Amir0x

Banned
So I've had this thread in the making for a while, but I never got around to posting it. However with the latest Watch Dogs "downgrade" stuff, I thought the timing was right to have a little fun with counter programming.

There's lots of threads devoted to the art of taking amazing in-game photos, and I love them. But I thought it'd be an interesting experiment to try the opposite: find a game that most people agree is beautiful, and try to find the ugliest moment you can and snap it.

RULES:

1. It'd be kind of unfair if we just opened up the latest PC game and turned everything to the lowest settings, so don't do that. Post games at 720p-1080p or higher PC shots, and at least "high" settings where applicable.

2. Make sure the shots are your own. Where possible, capture them on PS4 or XB1 or Wii U (or Vita, PS3, etc) using the in-system photo capture tools. Off-tv shots are OK only if you have no other way to capture a shot for whatever reason. Don't just go on a website and find some examples of old build photos from games and show them :)

3. This is for fun, we're not out to prove any points here (other than perhaps that every game has ugly moments), so let's not use it to front our console agendas. So don't just show a game most people think is already not a stunner and then use it to, say, suggest a console's technical prowess (or lack thereof).

4. For the sake of consistency, let's also try avoiding shots of games where they glitch out or showcase a bug (like say all face textures disappearing or something). Since that's not actually a regular part of the game's presentation, it'd be pointless for this topic.

I'll be posting my own as soon as I get the perfect angle on a few games, but I'm interested to see what people come up with!

Something like this?

HAWX 2
QCixRZX.jpg

Platy

Reminds me of that "lowest spec ever" screenshot thread ... that was hilarious... we should have another soon =P

Also, lets see someone try to grab a bad Wind Waker screenshot

Regiruler

Reminds me of that "lowest spec ever" screenshot thread ... that was hilarious... we should have another soon =P

Also, lets see someone try to grab a bad Wind Waker screenshot

I could grab my old netbook and boot up WoW for that. Rocking 2 FPS.

Amir0x

Banned
Well normally you wouldn't have a tree in between the plane and the tree, and normally you'd be way above the trees to begin with, so that's actually not too terrible haha.

Well yeah of course, that's what fascinating to me about the idea of trying to capture really bad screens of games that generally look really good. Most games have areas like this if you try just a little hard to go to areas that are "out" of the way of the core mission directive. Developers spend less and less time on areas depending on how often you'll see it and for how long.

This is a wonderful idea! I hope this thread stays active through the year with all the high budget games.

Unfortunately I doubt it, there were many threads like this and went off to be forgotten. I will try my best to contribute and keep it relevant!

Timu

2. Make sure the shots are your own. Where possible, capture them on PS4 or XB1 or Wii U (or Vita, PS3, etc) using the in-system photo capture tools. Off-tv shots are OK only if you have no other way to capture a shot for whatever reason. Don't just go on a website and find some examples of old build photos from games and show them :)
X1 doesn't even have a built in screen capture system so can we use external capture cards as well?

Amir0x

Banned
^^ holy shit kazebyaka lol

he's orgasming on the dread texture wall lol

X1 doesn't even have a built in screen capture system so can we use external capture cards as well?

Really? I could have swore it did, I thought my friend captured an image. Maybe I heard him wrong. But yes of course, as long as it's your own capture :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Someone could post Dennis's GTA V screens from before it came out where he zoomed in on those little textures.

Hopefully I can get around the rules (not my screenshot) if I quote someone from another thread.

This is one of my favorite screenshots that I took in the game (PC version, Ultra settings):

wF53U9i.jpg

The game is a fucking visual feast.
The game is Bioshock Infinite.

Timu

^^ holy shit kazebyaka lol

he's orgasming on the dread texture wall lol

Really? I could have swore it did, I thought my friend captured an image. Maybe I heard him wrong. But yes of course, as long as it's your own capture :)
He must had used something from Upload Studio because X1 doesn't allow direct feeds, and ok, I'll try to get some in as well.

Timu

I have a capture card so I can get 360, PS3, Wii, X1, etc. since PS4 and Wii U have their own capture device inside though I prefer to use mine still.

ikpulAiwQ9o76.png

Low detail bodies everywhere!!!

I have a capture card so I can get 360, PS3, Wii, X1, etc. since PS4 and Wii U have their own capture device inside though I prefer to use mine still.

ikpulAiwQ9o76.png

Low detail bodies everywhere!!!

Uhh.. this actually looks pretty good? Great lighting. Very specific blood detail on all of them. Not seeing it.

Top Bottom