• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else would like an early Wii release

maxmars

Ash Sparrow said:
I have just reached the point where waiting is not bearable.

Having had the chance (and privilege) of trying out the little critter just yesterday night, I can only agree 110%. :D

Oh and it was just Wii sports + Warioware + that orchestra game, good thing there was no MP3 or Zelda or I'd have tried to steal it and run away! :lol

Xrenity

maxmars said:
Having had the chance (and privilege) of trying out the little critter just yesterday night, I can only agree 110%. :D

Oh and it was just Wii sports + Warioware + that orchestra game, good thing there was no MP3 or Zelda or I'd have tried to steal it and run away! :lol
GIVE US IMPRESSIONS PLZ KTHX!

Sho Nuff

Banned
I would like to request one too, to get rid of these worthless speculation threads and decrease internet network usage by 30%

A worse idea has yet to be conceived by mankind.

Rushed launch FTL. Remember why everyone thought the DS would tank? We don't need more of this.

Okay, it's really because the early Q4 game releases are going to shoot my budget in the face.

SantaC

checked with my local videogame store today, and the manager told me Wii is coming out october/november in Europe and that he took pre-orders now.

I'm paid on the 31st of July and every month from then on. If they could synchronise the launch with my payday(s), I would be most appreciative.

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

maxmars

Xrenity said:
GIVE US IMPRESSIONS PLZ KTHX!

Well I had already seen all the videos, read all the literature so I can't say it was different from what I had imagined.

It's very down to earth, you could have that thing in your house now (I am a TrackIR user), much like the DS technology was already used in PDAs and similar.

The thing is very small and the controller feels very good -- I thought it would have been difficult to use the d-pad but it was not the case. I found, however, that I could not press "A" without moving the remote, that's probably why they have the trigger in place.

The wrist strap is a must! I was showing out with Wii Tennis (playing with a colleague) and with the hot temperature the sweat made me drop once the controller. Wrist strap saved me (a Nintendo employee nervously smiling not too distant).

The only thing that didn't work well was the point-n-click feature. There was a "Duck hunt"-like game where you had to use the remote as a gun but the cursor was laggy. Not too laggy, but you had to move the controller a bit before the cursor started moving. I am sure, by using as a reference other games I've played right there, that it was just a matter of that software (perhaps an early build?).
Warioware games where you have to point and click (e.g. cut the cookie) had a much tighter response.

Other than that, it's the ultimate multiplayer machine, bar none. You feel compelled to play and completely immersed in the game, despite the so-so graphics of those simple games: it was like trying out Pong for the first time again. :D

no lol. I don't have the money for it right now. OCT/NOV will be fine. :)

Edit: I think it's best if they wait until more games are finished too.

todog

maxmars said:

Did you attend a media presentation? If so, did they give hints on a price / release date?

I read on another (Italian) forum that a price of Euro 249.00 is now more or less official.

I'd rather have them polish up the games a bit and release it in 2007.

todog said:
I read on another (Italian) forum that a price of Euro 249.00 is now more or less official.

Booo! Way to expensive.

they better launch it in October and not November,, I hate two consoles releasing each other to close to each other

parents don't buy consoles at launch, they buy them a few weeks later after it has been advertised on store flyers and on display, and October release would guarantee the family purchase instead of just the fanboy purchase

November is too close the PS3,, the Sony name is a powerfull name to lure in dad's and brand name junkies

todog said:

I DONT BELIEVE YOU!

Me%20and%20jess%20sad.jpg

bumpkin

Oct 2nd works just fine for me. Here's hoping there's an ounce of validity to IGN's ramblings.

Maybe the Nov 20th and Nov 27th are release dates for some "launch window" Wii titles; Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl? We can only hope.

I have the money ready and saved for Wii and as many games as I would want......though I'd probably limit to 4 initial games and then buy any games skipped later once the 4 are completed.
An early launch would be great for me since i've just been playing the DS the past few months and not really touched my consoles.
But, i'd rather they just launch it when they're ready and willing with a polished game lineup.

Amir0x

Banned
i'd like the launch to be whenever the launch games will all be ready, for any system. i can wait, 'cause you can never take back rushed launch games

edbrat

I was at a demo of Wii a few weeks back and these are my impressions:

tennis: first one I played against my (completely non gamer and c. 50 yo boss) - the first time I picked up the wiimote and the guy on screens arm moved in response, I knew it would happen but I jumped anyway. It was weird and revelatory, the "fourth wall" really does come down. Anyway myself and my boss were rallying like pros in seconds. To serve you flick the controller up and swing, the controller is also sensitive enough to detect top spin and backhands (of course). It was intuitive, initially I mistimed everything by hitting slightly too late, a little adjustment later and I was hitting it sweetly. Notably my non gamer boss had a blast.

baseball: this was my favourite. Initially I swung like a lunatic and hit some good ones, then the Nintendo employee said "watch the pitch, watch the height" after I'd missed some and I thought, "ok, I'll watch AND swing maniacally" - this really helped my game and I was soon hitting pitches out the park. This was really intuitive and enjoyable, some of the pitches were a bit tricky (curve balls, switch ups etc) and I found the challenge v satisfying.

duck hunt demo: like the poster above, there was something a bit weird about the control system for this. At the time I thought it was because I was trying to make motions which were too big and adjusted by making much smaller movements, then I was fine. However it might have been laggy controls.

This was a theme for all the demos, initially you make a huge motion with the controller and gradually learn that you don't need to and that these can all be played with motions you could make sat on your couch. Timing and placement are more important then replicating the real world action.

I loved the Wii stuff but what really got me were the DS demos:

Pokemon / Zelda: had a quick go but not really enough to form impressions. Both looked good.

Mario Hoops 3 on 3: went through the tutorials, was initially VERY sceptical about use of stylus but within a few ticks it seemed natural. You touch the stylus on the side of Mario where you want him to bounce the ball, moving it around enables you to shield the ball from other players. Shooting involves an upward motion of the stylus from bottom to top of the touch screen. It looked great, colourful and credible 3-d.

Yoshis Island: this just ruled, played a bit of the first level, just made me want to fire up the original. Immediately I remembered the little floaty mechanic. Didn't want to play too much to ruin it when I play it properly but left with interest piqued and a big fat smile.

ok and now the BOMB: Elite Beat Agents

This absolutely ruled on so many levels. I plugged in the headphones and within seconds I was laughing: novel addictive gameplay and really charming and funny presentation. Caned the only two songs you could play for a while and then had to go back to work. Definite, nailed on day 1 purchase.

It was good to enjoy the games as opposed to arguing about them on the Internet :)

Azazela

Banned
Amir0x said:
i'd like the launch to be whenever the launch games will all be ready, for any system. i can wait, 'cause you can never take back rushed launch games

I doubt Zelda will be rushed when it was playbale back in 2005 though
juggle.gif

maxmars

todog said:
Did you attend a media presentation? If so, did they give hints on a price / release date?

Yes it was the Italian media presentation I attended. The Italian Nintendo marketing team does not know when / how much it will be, but they said to expect it in the 4th quarter (before Christmas anyway) as a date for Italy, and 250 USD a price for the american version of the console (should translate to 250 Eur). They didn't know what was in the package, i.e. the number of controllers and/or pack-ins.

Xrenity

Thanks for the impressions :)

Only Duck Hunt sounds like a bit of a letdown, I hope it'll turn out fine.

WiiTennis sounds like fun. 250 euro's would be much :\ Unless a second controller is packed in, along with Sports.

wow... wonder if it'd still be 250 if that rumored 360 price drop hit

I'm cool with that as long as theres an extra controller and a game or something.

Juice

I'd buy it tomorrow even if no games were coming out until October.

I'm just a whore for playing around with firmware and options and handling new electronics.

Plus it comes with a browser. And looking at the Wii as a no-subscription webTv makes it a far more appealing purchase just on its own right.

maxmars

Xrenity said:
250 euro's would be much :\ Unless a second controller is packed in, along with Sports.

It's Nintendo -- usually I apply the following when guessing their prices: it's the first price range that is above what I would spend as an impulse. E.g. I would have bought a DS Lite with no second thought at $99, they did price it @ $149, I bought it anyway. :D

Bo130

edbrat said:
ok and now the BOMB: Elite Beat Agents

This absolutely ruled on so many levels. I plugged in the headphones and within seconds I was laughing: novel addictive gameplay and really charming and funny presentation. Caned the only two songs you could play for a while and then had to go back to work. Definite, nailed on day 1 purchase.

Good to hear! Played Ouendan or is this your first try on that game? :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can afford the Wii, I don't have a decent TV though. I refuse to play it on a 14 inch piece of shit tv.

gimz

i don't care, i don't have time to play game this few months, but i would like an early release for Zelda :D

Top Bottom