• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most mileage you ever put on a car and what kind of car is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerKnee

The most I've ever put on a car was 107k miles on a 2005 Camry. I know it's not much as I've know people put in over 200k :O

I have a 2008 5-series now and I have 88k miles on it. I plan on keeping it until it breaks down so I hope that it'll last over 200k without any MAJOR repairs.

NinjaMouse

Gold Member
I had 185k on my 1992 Mustang LX (5.0) before getting rid of it. I've currently got 171K on my 2002 Mustang GT, and I'm still on the original clutch, too (although I think it's getting to be "that time").

I'd definitely thinking of getting something besides a Mustang as my next car, but I've had unbelievably good service out of them so far. I'm just ready for something different after driving them for nearly 20 years =P.

Arjen

my Peugot 306 is at 250k (Kilometers) right now. The bad boy just keeps on trucking.

/edit
Met a taxi driver on Greece who had 200k, after already been to 999K, pretty insane.

DiscoJon

Banned
'03 Dodge Intrepid: 169,372 miles.

Had to replace the water pump a couple years ago. That was a very expensive pain in the ass. Other than that, runs great...

...except my brakes have been feeling wonky the last couple weeks or so...

Ghekkus

I had 185k on my 1992 Mustang LX (5.0) before getting rid of it. I've currently got 171K on my 2002 Mustang GT, and I'm still on the original clutch, too (although I think it's getting to be "that time").

I'd definitely thinking of getting something besides a Mustang as my next car, but I've had unbelievably good service out of them so far. I'm just ready for something different after driving them for nearly 20 years =P.

All I've ever driven is Mustang as well. My first one was a used 1995 V6 with a ton of miles on it. The transmission started slipping and the head gaskets went out (supposedly a bad year for both). Traded it in for a 2000. It was a very reliable car. Then I traded that in for a 2003 GT.

That GT lasted me 10 years problem free minus general maintenance. It had about 110k on it. I actually felt bad when I traded it in a few months ago. The original factory battery lasted almost as long as I had it. Finally gave out about 4 months before trade in. Now I have a 2014 GT California Special. I sure it hope it treats me like that ol' GT did.

Dishwalla

Banned
I've never owned a car with 100K+ miles before. And the first car I owned was a 1970 Ford Maverick, at approx. 80K miles.

Ominym

Banned
My first car. Got her with 130,000 miles on it. Drove her all the way to approximately 240,000. It was a 1997 Dodge Avenger.

That fucker finally died the week after I joked to my parents that I'd, "drive it until the wheels fell off." That very next week, I took a slow left turn into a four-way intersection (had to wait for the green arrow.) And low and behold, tire just dropped off the front right side of my car.

Oddly enough, a cop just so happened to be waiting at a red light at the intersection, watched the whole thing unfold, then calmly turned on his lights to stop traffic. He then walked over and said, "well ain't that some shit?" The story finally draws to a close as I signed the paper work for the tow truck, and a class of children walk by as one kid yells, "THAT SUCKS!" They then all proceed to laugh at me.

Good times, haha.

It was my mom's car. A 1988 Honda Accord 5-speed. It had over 300k on it. The only thing that wasn't working in the car was the A/C. My mom sold it for $1,000.

Also, my dad's 1997 Honda Accord is close to 300k now. Still runs great.

Dereck

My first car. Got her with 130,000 miles on it. Drove her all the way to approximately 240,000. It was a 1997 Dodge Avenger.

That fucker finally died the week after I joked to my parents that I'd, "drive it until the wheels fell off." That very next week, I took a slow left turn into a four-way intersection (had to wait for the green arrow.) And low and behold, tire just dropped off the front right side of my car.

Oddly enough, a cop just so happened to be waiting at a red light at the intersection, watched the whole thing unfold, then calmly turned on his lights to stop traffic, walked over and said, "well ain't that some shit?" The story finally draws to a close as I signed the paper work for the tow truck and a class of kids walk by and one kid yells, "THAT SUCKS!" As they all proceed to laugh at me.

Good times, haha.
This is the perfect story.

mackattk

Sitting at 130k miles on my 2000 honda accord. Currently in the shop to replace the brakes and get an oil change.

AMUSIX

Hmmm, my wife and I tend to put a lot of miles on our cars. The most we've put on one is the Subaru...

100K in a Saturn SC2 before it was wrecked in a blizzard
140K in a Subaru Impreza RS and still counting
85K in a Mazda RX7 before giving it to a friend...it's still driving with 194K on the odo
125K on a Land Rover LR3 which is still our main car

Enron

Banned
The 1990 Nissan 240sx I got in college was purchased with around 71k miles on it. The odometer stopped working around 173k, and I'm pretty sure there's been about 30k miles put on it since then. It's still running, I gave it to my mom's fiance to give to his son, who ended up giving it to his stepdaughter to drive.

I had a 92 Homda Accord that got to 315k before the engine finally died. It had 150k when I bought it. The whole thing took about 4 years.

/pizza delivery guy

Divus

First car was a Plymouth Sundance. Bought it with 125K and it blew up at 180K.
Second was a 91 Grand AM. Said 65K but the gauge was broken and I'm sure it had a lot more.
3rd was a 98 Grand Prix GT took it from 36K to 88K miles before selling it.
4th was 01 Grand Prix GTP bought it at 36K miles and I'm at 114K now still going strong.

Also own a 05 GTO that I got at 14K and just rolled over 31K as I pulled into work.

My dads old 84 F150 with a straight six made over 500K before he sold it. I also know this guy that used to make deliveries in a old Dodge Caravan that had over 400K miles and I swear he was 600lbs.

sgi02

Banned
I hit 338K on my 98 Jetta 2.0. The engine and everything else mechanical still worked flawlessly, but the body rotted out and the frame snapped. NY winters and salt FTL.

My current car. I bought it at 50000 miles in 2004, it now has 207000 miles, so I personally put 157000 miles. It's a '99 Subaru Outback. I'm actually actively looking for a new car but the Subaru is going strong.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Our 2007 GTI has just under 170k miles.
We also have a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI that's just a hair under 89k miles. We'll have had it 3 years this coming February.

Yes, we put a LOT of miles on our cars. Spent a bunch of money on the GTI over the past couple years, it's pretty much as good as brand new right now (knock on wood). We still use it as a secondary car though, the Jetta's the work horse/travel car/commuter.

Not me but my dad. He has a 99 Camry with like 350k miles but it didn't passed the smog check so he is now looking to replace it.

gwarm01

I had a '96 Camry that I took from 150 to 200k miles. I gave it to some family members who didn't performance maintenance and the poor girl died within the year.

Right now I have an '08 Pontiac G6 with around 88k miles on it. I've only had it for a couple of years, but I'm ready to switch up to a better car that I might keep for a long time.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I had about 200k on my '94 Saturn when I eventually sold it in 2007. That thing hardly gave me a lick of trouble all that time.

Fonz72

I bought a 1998 Dodge Intrepid ES with 98,000 on it and traded it last year with 230,000. It was in fantastic shape, but the steering and front end was starting to go.

Traded it in on a 2009 Chrysler 300 Limited with 3000 miles that I plan on keeping for at least as long.

Zapages

197K on my first car 1991 Nissan Sentra before my neighbor destroyed the transmission. Currently around 187K on my 1999 Nissan Maxima. :)

Cimarron

130k and still trucking! 2000 dodge neon. No engines problems at all for the last 13yrs i love my cheap ass car. :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
450k miles on my 2001 Golf (bought second-hand from soneone who used it for a decade). These german cars are amazing

bcl0328

My 2012 BMW has 32k but I will probably trade it in next year.

Not being a gearhead, all I can think of is changing the oil every 5k miles. What other "basic" things do I need to worry about?

timing belt/chain, spark plugs, coolant, sensors. new cars go a lot longer than 5k. using full synthetic i do mine every 17k.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I had an old 1992 Camry that wouldn't die. 350k miles before it finally gave up the ghost.

Zoolader

The most miles on one of my old cars was around 130,000 on my '96 Audi A4 before totaling it. In high school I drove around my dad's other car which was a '91 Infiniti Q45 that had a little over 200,000 miles.

My 2012 BMW has 32k but I will probably trade it in next year.

timing belt/chain, spark plugs, coolant, sensors. new cars go a lot longer than 5k. using full synthetic i do mine every 17k.

Timing belt every 17k miles??? I hope you do that yourself and you have fun doing it because that seems a bit excessive and isn't cheap either.

DJ_Lae

I had a 1979 Toyota Corona that was originally my grandfathers, passed it to my dad and then on to me. Between the three of us we put around 389,000km on it before selling it.

I still sort of miss that car, to be honest. Repairs were simple enough that I could do most of them, and you didn't feel disconnected from everything like most new cars. It helped that it did not have fuel injection, or power steering, and its gearbox was borrowed from a Celica of the era. I always meant to try turbocharging the thing before it died but never had the guts to go through with that (it never actually died, though). Aftermarket parts were pretty common as I think that 18R engine was also shared with the Celica.

Yeah I have a ton of good memories of that car, from using it for camping when I was a kid to picking up girls in high school. And as a station wagon with the back seat folded down you had a nice flat space roughly the size of a queen mattress (maybe a little longer and a little narrower).

Fuck I miss that car.

Watevaman

The most miles on one of my old cars was around 130,000 on my '96 Audi A4 before totaling it. In high school I drove around my dad's other car which was a '91 Infiniti Q45 that had a little over 200,000 miles.

Timing belt every 17k miles??? I hope you do that yourself and you have fun doing it because that seems a bit excessive and isn't cheap either.

He means oil every 17k.

Timing belt is one of the things that can kill a car, though. It's typically an every 70-110k mile job, though. Also depends on if your vehicle has a chain or gears for timing.

Ya no

My '99 Nissan Pathfinder has 175k on it, still running great with a few minor fixes here and there.

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with 183,000 miles on it. No sign of it quitting either. Could easily get another 20k miles out of it at this rate, and it's never had a major repair really. Just sucks cause there is a hole in the compressor line for the AC that is too expensive to justify repairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom